• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I dont know what's worse. Getting interrupted watching something and seeing a stupid youtuber on the screen or someone trying to get people to subscribe to a known white supremacist because he's their favortie youtuber.

Fuck off man you're not doing anyone any favors.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I would replace that 'exploiting' with 'exposing' and suddenly it's a-okay in my books.

Then I hope they took google to task over it. The problem is the years old exploit being left alone, not the billboard explaining how users can protect themselves from googles negligence.

what does their link say about chromecast users protecting themselves?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they feel like they belong to something awesome, unique, and special. And they want to share their love with the world.
if it was bombs instead of hacks someone would be knocking pewds server over. At least he doesn't encourage this cult of personality, otherwise people might think he was a problem.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
How is this Pewdiepie's fault though? He never asked for this as far as I know.

Hackers just used this pewdiepie drama to troll, that's all.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
How is this Pewdiepie's fault though? He never asked for this as far as I know.

Hackers just used this pewdiepie drama to troll, that's all.

maybe you don't know shit?

After launching the prank, HackerGiraffe tweeted: "Spread the word with your friends about printers and printer security! This is actually a scary matter. Will tweet everything about this entire #pewdiepie hack later to explain to everyone exactly what went down. Also @pewdiepie please notice me"

Kjellberg did notice them, and addressed the hack in a video segment:

"I love it. Please keep it up, just don't do anything illegal, because that will look bad on me—that's the only reason—that will look bad on PewDiePie," he said. Kjellberg seems to worry that he'll look bad for encouraging illegal activities, but doesn't seem to realize that hacking people's devices to make them do things they don't want them to do is definitely illegal. And whether he owns up to it or not, in the eyes of people targeted by his fans' harassment, he already looks bad.

as posted above in this thread

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...pewdiepie-stops-hacking-because-of-harassment

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pewds and I approve this message.

The deification of shitty youtube celebs is scary

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
What's the deal with this guy? I don't get why he is liked.

hacking TV's is such a BS tactic and since Goggle own YouTube and most smart TV's use goggles android OS they should be shutting his shit down and issue a fix.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pewds and I approve this message.

The deification of shitty youtube celebs is scary
I don't think people are deifying him, the whole "subscribe to pewdiepie" thing is a meme. It's not that different from the "f*ck her right in the p*ssy" thing people were interrupting live broadcasts with

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i don't think this news need to put pewdiepie's name front as center other than the fact for clicks. The news has nothing to do with pewdiepie other than the perpetrators using his name as part of the operation.

I don't like pdp as much as the next guy but people really need to read the actual source before shooting pdp on this one instead of firing blanks based on own opinion on him.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The monetization of YouTube will go down as a fucking disaster. It's given power to nobodies. These people used to be rightfully ignored but now every asshole has a bullhorn.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhuh, now please show me where he asked for people to hack systems to support him? He explicitly said not do anything illegal. He finds it funny though,.

if you didn't want something done would you lead off saying "I love it. Please keep it up" or "don't do that"

Bright-Light

Oct 29, 2017
i don't think this news need to put pewdiepie's name front as center other than the fact for clicks. The news has nothing to do with pewdiepie other than the perpetrators using his name as part of the operation.

I don't like pdp as much as the next guy but people really need to read the actual source before shooting pdp on this one instead of firing blanks based on own opinion on him.
PDP encouraged this. He even told his fans to keep doing this stuff after the printer hack.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
They are a prolific bunch. Have they seriously improved the subscriptions for PDP? Is he defeating that Bollywood clips channel?

I am confused why nobody can check either PDP's trollish racism or his fans' security threat. Literally no accountability anywhere. I'm happy to be away from America these days.

Poor kids get this man as their Fred Rogers.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
He explicitly said not do anything illegal. He finds it funny though,.

The multi-millionaire finds it funny when his army does illegal shit that doesn't affect him personally. And his followers are eager to please their overlord. How is this not encouraging this type of behavior?

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
if you didn't want something done would you lead off saying "I love it. Please keep it up" or "don't do that"
Yeah I watched the full clip where they got that quote. Before the "I love it part", he's talking about the support he gets in general, not the hacking. And don't forget this part of the quote: "don't do anything illegal, because that will look bad on me "

If people hacked chromecast and put on the message "Please become a member of Resetera". Is it now the fault of Resetera?

Anyway, I understand the outrage surrounding Pewdiepie but let's not put all the blame on one man, stay objective.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The multi-millionaire finds it funny when his army does illegal shit that doesn't affect him personally. And his followers are eager to please their overlord. How is this not encouraging this type of behavior?
Sure I agree with this, he shouldn't make videos encouraging this behavior telling people it's funny. But he's not responsible for people doing the hacking though.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched the full clip where they got that quote. Before the "I love it part", he's talking about the support he gets in general, not the hacking. And don't forget this part of the quote: "don't do anything illegal, because that will look bad on me "

If people hacked chromecast and put on the message "Please become a member of Resetera". Is it now the fault of Resetera?

Anyway, I understand the outrage surrounding Pewdiepie but let's not put all the blame on one man, stay objective.

"all this support" clearly includes what he just spent the last 3 minutes laughing and talking about. if you don't want to encourage this shit don't make a video about it when they coming begging for your attention. i doubt pewdiepie even understands the legality surrounding these issues enough to determine what is and isn't illegal.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Lol.

Dude actively enables and cheers this shit on.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's good to expose a hole in security without being malicious considering it's an issue Google seems to know about but hasn't done anything to fix, but including the shit about PewDiePie is really dumb and makes me feel like it was a 13 year old script kiddie behind it.

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Lol.

Dude actively enables and cheers this shit on.
Have you never laughed at a clip where someone does something stupid that either, I don't know, breaks something or hurts someone (or himself) lightly? Would you call yourself an enabler of self-harm or destruction of property if so? And if not, do you think all the people in the world laughing at those clips actively enable and encourage this behavior?

You can find something funny and hilarious and at the same time discourage doing it, which is what PDP did. The thread title alone is inflammatory. The hackers did it on their own volition, PDP finds it funny and discourages it. People seriously look for anything to hate on, but what was that phrase again?

"If you hate someone, even their way of moving their spoon to eat will disgust you". I made that up, there was a similar one though.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the guy it's promoting is an ass, but it also serves as an accute reminder just how fucking lacking security is with these devices.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if PDP actually told his fans to stop - on all his social media - instead of hiding it in a video where he not only doesn't discourage it apart from "doing something illegal", but also in a sense encourages people to continue... just looking at his twitter, the hacker is "doing god's work" and whatnot.

Seriously. If Pewdiepie wanted this stuff to stop, he could easily show it. Instead we got hacked printers, TVs, and an attacked teacher.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Instead of calling the person out this is his reply. When your fanbase is doing this in your name you should call them out.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can find something funny and hilarious and at the same time discourage doing it, which is what PDP did. The thread title alone is inflammatory. The hackers did it on their own volition, PDP finds it funny and discourages it.

For a someone who hates PewDiePie as much as the next guy it's weird that you're straight up lying for him. There's no condemnation on his Twitter.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what is more sad. The hacking, or the posts here on Era. Maybe Google finally fixes the exploits now.

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
For a someone who hates PewDiePie as much as the next guy it's weird that you're straight up lying for him. There's no condemnation on his Twitter.

Why are you assuming things about me? Don't put words in my mouth. It doesn't seem like you want to discuss in good faith, especially since you see it as my responsibility to know everything about anyone on all the social media and if I don't, you assume _ill intent_. It's the same with people quoting this E;R guy on some social media as proof that PDP knew that he was recommending an anti-semite.

As for your "point"; he finds it funny, we established that. Or do you want to argue that his first reaction that led him to write this tweet being "that's HILARIOUS" makes it his responsibility that hackers did this? You know what, don't bother answering.

Jul 3, 2018
so this is the hack?
RDEiRUK.png

Are we just mad because pewdiepie is involved?

More or less.

I'd be more amused then peeved

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well what anyone helps being more secure. Anyone that was targeted by this and fixed it now should be glad he didn't do any worse.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna love it when T Series finally curvestomps his ass.
i'm not sure why people seem to think it will be some kind of comeuppance when t-series passes him. i guess it's the only "victory" over pewdiepie that is possible so people feel the need to cling to it? in reality this rivalry with t-series is the best thing that has happened to pewdiepie in a long time, he's gotten like 7 million subscribers in the last month. and he clearly doesn't even care when he is eventually passed, he's just playing it up for that sweet cash.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Have you never laughed at a clip where someone does something stupid that either, I don't know, breaks something or hurts someone (or himself) lightly? Would you call yourself an enabler of self-harm or destruction of property if so? And if not, do you think all the people in the world laughing at those clips actively enable and encourage this behavior?

You can find something funny and hilarious and at the same time discourage doing it, which is what PDP did. The thread title alone is inflammatory. The hackers did it on their own volition, PDP finds it funny and discourages it. People seriously look for anything to hate on, but what was that phrase again?

"If you hate someone, even their way of moving their spoon to eat will disgust you". I made that up, there was a similar one though.

I dont have millions of subscribers eager to please me. With great power, etc.