• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find the original goofy or campy and I saw it for the first time a couple of years back. *shrug*. This film doesn't need a big budget at all given the small scope of the novel.

I just watched the original again, I thought it was very silly and most of the performances were terrible. I agree this doesn't need a big budget, but this remake doesn't have a big budget.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for a glimpse of Zelda, the only thing scared me in that movie when I was a kid.
John Lithgow just can't match Fred Gwynne's "Sometimes dead is better."
giphy.gif

Yep... still scary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate jump scares, they are cheap - unoriginal and simply shit. The trailer starting with one made me immensely skeptical of the movie. Meh.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I hate jump scares, they are cheap - unoriginal and simply shit. The trailer starting with one made me immensely skeptical of the movie. Meh.
Something having a loud noise attached to it doesn't make something a jumpscare

I wouldn't consider that part a jumpscare. The presentation was showing us the danger of the road - look how dangerously close and sudden traffic passes by - than trying to be a scare.

Like Venatio said, foreshadowing, not a jumpscare

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Obssa Ahmed will be playing Pascow, so....

Black guy dies first confirmed!

But on a serious note, the trailer looked okay. Im not digging some of the cast, but it seems like they'll be going all the way with the fucked up material, which I appreciate.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
All i can think of is the south park character voice.
Now you don't want to go down that road.

The film looks good but the kids in masks is such an annoying trope. I hate stuff like that, it's the same in the Purge and The Strangers, with characters that wear masks and have exaggerated movements and craziness.

The novel is scary in a very real way, and having some cheap horror movie masked terrors is really going to take me out of this film.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look too bad at all. The original was apparently the first horror movie I watched as a toddler, so I need to watch this.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No, that is def a jumpscare. The way its audio is mixed is jumpscare trope at this point.

Foreshadowing could have been just seeing the Truck in the back driving by. There is no need other then to jump scare the audience to do it like that.
Just having a loud noise accompany something doesn't make it a jumpscare. It was clearly framing it as the family being surprised by the unexpected speed and closeness of the traffic. Not trying to scare the audience

That kind of "character is looking at something else, loud vehicle/horn snaps them to alertness" moment is like super common.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that a tractor trailer can cause a jump scare, lol. Only in the movies!

Just having a loud noise accompany something doesn't make it a jumpscare. It was clearly framing it as the family being surprised by the unexpected speed and closeness of the traffic. Not trying to scare the audience

That kind of "character is looking at something else, loud vehicle/horn snaps them to alertness" moment is like super common.
Except that makes no sense. The truck would naturally get louder. They edit in a sound effect that is not a truck to add to it, there is no sound from it before it jumps out and says boo. It's a jump scare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that a tractor trailer can cause a jump scare, lol. Only in the movies!

Except that makes no sense. The truck would naturally get louder. They edit in a sound effect that is not a truck to add to it, there is no sound from it before it jumps out and says boo. It's a jump scare.
I'm saying that simply having a sudden loud noise doesn't make something a jumpscare. What would happen in reality doesn't matter. Context matters, and in that scene at least in the trailer, the context was clearly presenting it as being unexpected to the family. To show us that it wasn't something that they expected and was a surprise to them, hence focusing on the mom's reaction and following up with their concerned looks and the shot of the mom holding the son tighter. And not to be a boo gotcha jumpscare for the audience

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Is the book actually scary? I've seen the older adaptation and it was pretty dumb.
The audiobook is, at least. I listened to pretty much all of King's classics (including his short story collections) and aside from a few scenes in" It" that compare, I found Pet Semetary to be the scariest and most disturbing King book by far. I'm 26 so I wasn't shitting my pants or anything, but it's unsettling for sure. Give it a try!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Zelda will once again be nightmare fuel. She was one of the only creatures to scare me shitless as a kid for weeks. I literally had to sleep in my parents room when I was 5 from that thing.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Hey this might be a good chance to get a King recommendation. Already read these:

Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Cujo (dropped), Pet Sematary, It, Needful Things, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones (dropped), Lisey's Story (dropped), Duma Key, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Hearts in Atlantis (dropped), Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset, Full Dark, No Stars, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Anything crucial missing aside from the Dark Tower series that I kinda skipped because the first one didn't grab me?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey this might be a good chance to get a King recommendation. Already read these:

Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Cujo (dropped), Pet Sematary, It, Needful Things, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones (dropped), Lisey's Story (dropped), Duma Key, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Hearts in Atlantis (dropped), Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset, Full Dark, No Stars, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Anything crucial missing aside from the Dark Tower series that I kinda skipped because the first one didn't grab me?
Carrie, Christine, and Firestarter.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

I've read all but three of his novels and I'm not sure. I vote for Revival because it's one of his best (Top 5 IMHO) but it gets overlooked since it only came out a few years ago. It'll be a classic if the movie is handled correctly.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks buddy. Which one is your favorite?
No problem. I think Carrie out of those three. It's his first, so it's much shorter and more focused than his writing got as his career progressed.

Also I forgot to mention Misery, which I would recommend reading after Carrie. Misery, like The Shining, is great for reading during the snowy winter months.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Looks worse in every way.

"The ground is bad." Is the American audience too dumb to understand "the ground is sour"?

I'm still going to watch it in hopes that I'm wrong but I doubt it will hold a candle to the original.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Looks worse in every way.

"The ground is bad." Is the American audience too dumb to understand "the ground is sour"?

I'm still going to watch it in hopes that I'm wrong but I doubt it will hold a candle to the original.
It could just be a line change for the trailer. Also, lol at Americans being too dumb to understand Stephen King.

The original has iconic elements, but it's not like it couldn't be improved upon in a lot of ways.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I've read all but three of his novels and I'm not sure. I vote for Revival because it's one of his best (Top 5 IMHO) but it gets overlooked since it only came out a few years ago. It'll be a classic if the movie is handled correctly.
I forgot about that one, I heard someone talking about it recently and thought it sounded interesting. Like a proper classic horror story. Thanks for reminding me!

No problem. I think Carrie out of those three. It's his first, so it's much shorter and more focused than his writing got as his career progressed.

Also I forgot to mention Misery, which I would recommend reading after Carrie. Misery, like The Shining, is great for reading during the snowy winter months.
Yeah skipping these two because I saw the movies was probably a dumb choice. I should get to it then!

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that simply having a sudden loud noise doesn't make something a jumpscare. What would happen in reality doesn't matter. Context matters, and in that scene at least in the trailer, the context was clearly presenting it as being unexpected to the family. To show us that it wasn't something that they expected and was a surprise to them, hence focusing on the mom's reaction and following up with their concerned looks and the shot of the mom holding the son tighter. And not to be a boo gotcha jumpscare for the audience
lmao @ that first jump scare
It's true to the book if I remember correctly. The reason why the highway next to their house is so dangerous is because the trees block the oil rig trucks from sight and muffle their sound until they suddenly appear and fly by the house at high speed. People who have read it more recently, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jump scares aren't inherently bad. They are bad when they don't make logical sense or don't contribute anything other than a "BOO!". This one seems like good foreshadowing and really sets the scene of what living in that setting with young kids would feel like.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that one, I heard someone talking about it recently and thought it sounded interesting. Like a proper classic horror story. Thanks for reminding me!
It is. Would make an amazing movie if handled correctly. It's just a march towards total madness and it features one of his best antagonists to date.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Looks good. I'm excited for it. Please be good.

My friend and I really liked the original as kids, and the transport scene stuck with me. I've watched it at least a few times. The second one was also campy fun.

I actually collected most of Stephen King's books recently, and need to read the book before I see this.

Too bad it's not coming out until April :(

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Lithgow's dialogue is very ADR. It's not going to sound like that in the film.

I'm a fan of Starry Eyes, but this will live or die based on how the family drama is executed. The original suffers from a lack of chemistry, and they're not given any time to gel since the movie is so rushed.

I'm disappointed that Norma seems to have been excised again.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's true to the book if I remember correctly. The reason why the highway next to their house is so dangerous is because the trees block the oil rig trucks from sight and muffle their sound until they suddenly appear and fly by the house at high speed. People who have read it more recently, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jump scares aren't inherently bad. They are bad when they don't make logical sense or don't contribute anything other than a "BOO!". This one seems like good foreshadowing and really sets the scene of what living in that setting with young kids would feel like.
that's interesting that it comes from the book, but for me, without any context, a jump scare that's just a truck driving by loudly was laugh-out-loud hilarious