• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You guys aren't parents, are you? They're not scared because they think it's a spooky truck. They're scared for their kids because the road is right up on them, the trees block most of the view so there's barely any warning when traffic is going by until it's on you, and that truck went barreling past. I'd clutch my toddler too if that was near my new place.
I thought that was pretty obvious

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
You guys aren't parents, are you? They're not scared because they think it's a spooky truck. They're scared for their kids because the road is right up on them, the trees block most of the view so there's barely any warning when traffic is going by until it's on you, and that truck went barreling past. I'd clutch my toddler too if that was near my new place.

No, not a parent, and I get it now. Thanks for the perspective.

Also, Chekhov's Gun might be in play with it.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems lackluster compared to the old one. I'll give it a shot but it's got to really stand out from the old film which was great.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
The book is full of old town lore that King is so good at writing, I hope they find a way to include that in the movie. There are a few stories that Jud tells Louis that I'd love to see in film format. I'm also excited to see how much of the Micmac legend/Wendigo lore they include.

As much as I enjoy Lithgow, I do wonder about his performance since Jud's thick Mainer accent is almost a character on its own in the book and doesn't seem to be represented at all here. At any rate, I'll happily see this as it's one of my favorite books and I think it's high time for a modern imagining, I just hope they nail the tone of the book better than the first attempt.

R3create

Aug 28, 2018
Swear all of kings movies always have an overhead shot of a car driving down an empty road. Might just be thinking that as i watched the shining recently.

Jul 18, 2018
They keep showing the truck in multiple scenes, you think they will have the guts to do the truck scene from the book? Or is it just going to be with that cat they show

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Typical horror movie trailer.

Not expecting much from the final film but will keep my eyes open. Never felt much for the orignal.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a totally generic horror movie rushed out to capitalise on It's success.

I suspect 34% RT, bombs at the box office and is quickly forgotten about.

A remake has been in the works for years. Maybe the success of IT kick-started it and gave the studio the confidence to go ahead, but like PanzerKraken said, 18 months isn't that quick of a turnaround for a mid-budget horror film.

From Wikipedia:

In March 2010, it was announced that a remake was in the works, with Matt Greenberg (writer of another King adaptation, 1408) currently working on the screenplay.[6] On 21 September 2010, Guillermo del Toro announced that he would like to direct the Pet Sematary remake, along with a new adaptation of another Stephen King novel, It, but stated that his busy schedule made it unlikely that he would be able to work on either film any time soon.[7] As of October 31, 2013, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Steven Schneider were producing the remake and both di Bonaventura and the studio were in talks with Juan Carlos Fresnadillo in talks to direct the remake.[8] In October 2017, Paramount announced that Dennis Widmyer and Kevin Kolsch, the team that wrote and directed the 2014 thriller Starry Eyes, would helm the new adaptation

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks uninteresting. I guess it's going for the It crowd.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
These movies creeped me the fuck out. I dont know if I was just that young or if I never actually saw the title spelled out, but I never noticed the misspelling. I looked it up and apparently it because kids wrote it on a board and placed it at the entrance. I dont remember that bit being explained in the movies but I've only seen them maybe twice and both times were a long time ago.

Jul 18, 2018
They kind of have to. The truck scene literally launches the second half of the story and is the crux of what makes Pet Sematary Pet Sematary.

I think they have too.

Its the most unsettling part of the book IMO.

they absolutely wrecked georgie in the new IT. i feel like they might

Well, sign me the fk up then. That scene in IT, wasn't even expecting it at all, can't wait for more dread.

May 31, 2018
I think a story like this is probably more scary for people who have had or currently have small children. The idea of losing a child in such a horrific way is one of the scariest things to happen to a parent because its more probable than a killer clown or possessed car.

Last edited:

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first King book I read, well, listened too, and it remains one of my favourites. It's an incredibly disturbing and creepy book.

The trailer looks ok. I thought the IT trailers looked like trash too but it seems to be highly regarded so maybe this will turn out the same.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see that FINALLY someone can make decent movies out of Stephen King novels. First It, now this. I love SK, favorite author.

Yes there's been some good old ones but the majority of the movie adaptations are crap.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the book and I think this trailer looks good too. So sign me the fuck up.

Cbrun44

100% spot on. That's real terror.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This looks better than the first movie, which was mostly awful, but it still doesn't look great. The imagery feels pretty uninspired and I'm not a fan of the "creepy kids in masks!" motif they're leaning on.
I don't remember creepy masked children being a thing in the book, though I haven't read it in a long while. Seeing them in there almost felt like something a Producer made then include for jumpscares ("Sinister had creepy ghost children, we gotta do something like that!!! But with masks, then it will appeal to the creepypasta generation! Trust me, it'll be a HIT!")

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Lithgow is great and all, but I miss the Fred Gwynne and the accent he gave Jud Crandall.

Also, I didn't know Pascow is black in this remake. Very cool.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The first was really faithful. This looks really faithful. Not seeing the point at this stage (beyond $money$). I'm one of the last people to instantly hate on a remake, but creatively I'm not seeing the point... and that reminds me of the 100% redundant Psycho remake. This isn't like IT that really deserved a big budget modern telling... the original nailed everything good about the book, and this doesn't seem to be taking it anywhere new.

Lithgow is great casting, but it's hard to put the god tier casting that was Fred Gwynne out of mind.

Seriously, anyone reading this who hasn't seen the original should give it a watch. It's very good and has barely aged a day.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This trailer doesn't look that appealing to me, it looks quite generic and the whole "kids in masks" thing seems like a really cheap way to make an antagonist, seems like a stupid addition that didn't need to be put in imo. Also as much as I love John Lithgow, Fred Gwynne will just always be "Jud" to me with that accent he did for it.

I haven't read the book, only seen the 1989 film and this looks pretty different from that. Is this deviating from the source material or was it the 1989 film that was unfaithful?

The 89 film was quite faithful for the most part (Stephen King wrote the screenplay for it after all). The main changes were the omission of Jud's wife, Norma, (which was quite important for setting up Jud feeling the need to tell Louis about the Cemetery) and the lack of (Major book spoilers)
The Wendigo, which is the force behind the curse of the burial ground and what is basically the power behind the animals/people that come back.

Also the 89 movie kind of makes the things that come back more "clear cut" evil, in the book it's more subtle in those regards, animals that come back aren't terribly "mean" rather they are just.....off, creepy to the point you sense that something is just not "right" with them but they aren't going around hurting people (otherwise why would anyone bury stuff there to be brought back?).

why semetary and not cemetery?

Because that's the name of the book, and it's based on a real life place that King came across, he wrote about it in a newer introduction for the book that was published a few years back,
You can read that here:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-rhNcOFbhBsC&lpg=PR16&ots=S-MY9Hfh2D&dq=stephen king's 2000 foreword to pet sematary&pg=PR13#v=onepage&q=stephen king's 2000 foreword to pet sematary&f=false

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The first was really faithful. This looks really faithful. Not seeing the point at this stage (beyond $money$). I'm one of the last people to instantly hate on a remake, but creatively I'm not seeing the point... and that reminds me of the 100% redundant Psycho remake. This isn't like IT that really deserved a big budget modern telling... the original nailed everything good about the book, and this doesn't seem to be taking it anywhere new.

Lithgow is great casting, but it's hard to put the god tier casting that was Fred Gwynne out of mind.

Seriously, anyone reading this who hasn't seen the original should give it a watch. It's very good and has barely aged a day.

Eh I think the book deserved an adaptation that wasn't a goofy and campy b-movie that captures the grief and horror of the story a lot better. This, at the very least, looks to be a better realized attempt at the tone of the novel.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I scrolled through this thread very slowly and carefully in case someone had posted pics of Zelda from the original movie.
Looking forward to Zelda!
The directors commented on their approach to this for the movie
https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/04/first-look-new-movie-stephen-king-pet-sematary/
The filmmakers aren't ready to reveal Zelda yet, but they give EW a hint of what's to come. "It's more accurate to the book, I'll just say that," Widmyer reveals. "In the original movie, it's a 21-year-old guy in drag playing it, and in the book, as you recall, it's a 10-year-old girl."

Neither filmmaker is trying to demean the original movie. Zelda, as played by Andrew Hubatsek in director Mary Lambert's earlier film, was one of the most chilling and memorable parts of that adaptation.

"You go, 'How do you top Zelda?'" Widmyer says. "It was big and scary and awesome, but if you think about the reality of the Zelda situation, what that would do to a family, with her wasting away in this bedroom, and a younger sister being frightened of her older sister's debilitating illness, that on its own is pretty scary."

They are hoping "the grounded nature of that horror would actually be scarier than a supernatural version of it," he adds. "The nurse, the medical equipment, what that room would feel like as a layer of dust went on everything." He says their film will show "how that would seem from the perspective of an 8-year-old, going into that room to bring food to her, and how scary that would be."

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I had no idea this was being remade. The first movie is seriously one of the scariest movies I've seen to this day. Zelda, Pascow, flashback scenes, the last scene...fucking so good.

I'll definitely watch this but I'm not expecting anything special

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Eh I think the book deserved an adaptation that wasn't a goofy and campy b-movie that captures the grief and horror of the story a lot better. This, at the very least, looks to be a better realized attempt at the tone of the novel.
I didn't find the original goofy or campy and I saw it for the first time a couple of years back. *shrug*. This film doesn't need a big budget at all given the small scope of the novel.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to read the plot summary on wikipedia. God damn that was something.