Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Personally I think either way is fine but I adopted your suggestion with some recolors:
p5kazumiredv0j6d.jpg

This is the canon outfit IMO and they changed it so she can show some skin

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Persona 5 day 1 and it's still sealed...

Might as well wait for this version then.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot they appeared again at the beach. The way I see the whole thing is that they portray THOSE TWO as sexual predators all to make their joke work. I see it like that because of the existance of Lala Escargot. Lala is a positive representative of the LGBTQ+ community because Lala is treated normally.
Yes... And no... The characters mostly treat her normal, but her design is definitely a bad caricature.

She's the only overweight person I remember in the entire game, she's also the only character in thick makeup. Her design still fits several harmful stereotypes.

A common concern among trans women is that they won't ever 'pass'... That they'll always look like that kind of Cross between a Man and woman, and that's how her design reads. You're not supposed to be unsure or have hints she isn't biologically female... The design is straight forward in telling you she can't truly pass. Maybe it's not played as a joke like the gay men at the beach, but it's not exactly a glowing take either.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I just don't see why there's such a huge issue with a character showing skin and it kind of seems disrespectful to "fix" an artist's creation.

An artist is fallible.

And women showing skin inherently isnt something that is necessary to make their designs appealing as a design. Of course sexualization is apart of that.

Granted i'm not one to consult on such things, but its clear that critics of this design have a legitimate point to make about why its irritating that overt sexualization is the first choice for character designers in regards to female characters.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally their MO. Even if you don't take into account the information in the OP, we have P3 and P4 to base this off of.
This is what you said which obviously isn't true
"it literally overhauls almost every major part of the game."

Are they overhauling the combat system? Social links? Time management systems? Negotiations and Persona capturing? Fusions? Mementos? Side quests? etc.

This is a re-release of Persona 5 with added content and QoL features. The added content seems to be substantial, but it is still an updated release nonetheless. And yes, P4G was also just an updated version of P4 with added content and QoL improvements. What you are describing there is something akin to Yakuza Kiwami 2 which did actually overhaul the entire game compared to its PS2 release.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Plenty to dig through with the trailer, and plenty to talk about characters new and old, but one thing I'm really happy to see are much more expressive character portraits.

Persona 3 started off with pretty dynamic portraits, but then 4, Arena, and 5 all had the character poses be completely static, with only the facial expressions changing. Not the worst thing, since you can still have the character's posture on the screen communicate a lot (especially by Persona 5), but I definitely felt something was lost.

unknown.png

However, along with some different faces in the , and here we have a whole new side to Ryuji in P5R!

unknown.png

Again, a very small thing, but a really nice detail I'm glad to see, and am really looking forward to all the other touches like that along with the fancy new stuff.

I hear you...

Ryuji is totally gonna dye his hair black at the end this time.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Koch Media France already posted the teaser for P5R in french. The website for P5R is multi language unlike the persona 5 website. Somebody here think this time the game get a multi5 ( FR / EN / DE / ES / IT ) localisation ?
Let's just say that I have a good feeling about this game getting European subs.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Human Morgana looks male but even beyond that, seeing as 75% of its personality is thirsting over Ann, I'd say we can be pretty sure Morgana has always been a guy
He explicitly says in vanilla P5 that he is a guy/male and there is even a funny scene where Ryuji and Joker are surprised by this.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not that impressed with the new girl's design. I get the gymnast angle but even putting sexualization concerns aside (valid concerns in a game like P5 that shits on its own themes and plot to sexualize its characters), she just looks like a low effort mishmash of Joker and Makoto. Perhaps that's the point, though.

??? Cerny literally said PS4 games were BC with PS5
THAT'S NEWS TO ME OH SHIIITTTT

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
I just learned that persona 5 ps3 owner can transfer their save via cloud to the ps4 version.

With that in mind, i hope they let us use save from vanilla to transfer social stats, money, and or bonus item based on compendium...
No, i'm not expecting them to let us continue from the vanilla.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Were there any hints at what her Persona looks like or her arcana is?
well thinking back how makoto ride her persona in form of motorcycle, it would be cool if her persona had some kind of hook,anchor or pole looks like things and she actually swinging, hanging on them like a gymnast does entire battle..remind me of some kind of monster in FFVII that hanging on anchor

but probably not

Benes

Apr 17, 2019
Never played any games in this franchise, but interested in trying it out. So far, my understanding is this game is the improved/upgraded or complete..er version of Persona 5 (and I should probably just skip vanilla Persona 5).

Is this a recurring pattern with Persona games i.e. to release the "bare bones" version then improved/fine tuned version later on?

It seems to be.

P3 (PS2) had:
- P3FEStival (PS2): Additional Personas, minor changes but a new "separate" chapter in which you control another character.
- P3Portable (PSP): FemaleMC, revised battle system (which now is the standard in the series), additional difficulties and minor changes in the main story.

P4 (PS2) had:
- P4Golden (PSV): Two additional social links (and cutscenes, and FMV), better graphics, different ending IIRC.

But thing is, Vanilla versions are perfectly good and complete games per themselves.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They put Pro to good use I see, sharper & cleaner looking.

carousel_ss4_a9c7863e63e319e50adcb0a0fa1c5e28.jpg
They put the Pro to good use when this runs in 60fps.
Haha, no way is Atlus going to have anything on PlayStation 5 near launch. This and Dragon's Crown Pro are technically their first games designed with the PlayStation 4 in mind.
Yea this is so sad. The technical restrictions the PS3 put on Persona 5 always left a bad taste for me. On PS4 a game like that should run in 60fps.

Not to mention PS5.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ohh. Neat!

*pretends that I didn't think of Star Platinum when I first saw it*

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so...english localization is 2020?

ps5 title?
Considering PS5 is BC with PS4 games, and Atlus is not the best at keeping up with new platforms on a good day, I'm gonna say no.

The differences between Persona 5 PS3 and PS4 versions were minuscule. P5R on PS4 and any hypothetical PS5 port would probably have similar minuscule differences, amplified by the fact that Persona 5 R still has its roots as a PS3 game. Thinking of it like that, and considering PS5 will be BC, that means a cross-gen port is utterly pointless.

The only reason they did the port of P5 was because PS4 couldn't play PS3 games. And I'm willing to bet Atlus would've just told us to put up with Persona 5 on PS3 had PS4 supported BC.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't need to be on PS5. All they need to do is set the frame rate to 60fps by a patch or something.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Considering PS5 is BC with PS4 games, and Atlus is not the best at keeping up with new platforms on a good day, I'm gonna say no.

The differences between Persona 5 PS3 and PS4 versions were minuscule. P5R on PS4 and any hypothetical PS5 port would probably have similar minuscule differences, amplified by the fact that Persona 5 R still has its roots as a PS3 game. Thinking of it like that, and considering PS5 will be BC, that means a cross-gen port is utterly pointless.

The only reason they did the port of P5 was because PS4 couldn't play PS3 games. And I'm willing to bet Atlus would've just told us to put up with Persona 5 on PS3 had PS4 supported BC.

That's not how it works. Not putting out a native PS4 version in 2017 would have resulted in much lower sales, even if PS3 games were BC on PS4.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't feel that a Ps3 game running at 4k is putting the Pro to good use tbh.

It still feels like a Ps3 game, the game looks good enough of course, but Royal doesn't look that better than the base game.
Pretty much. It's sharper, yes, but it's not really that much of an actual upgrade overall. Actually what I'm noticing more in the pics is more NPC's, which gives the scenes a more livelier feeling, rather than anything else.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally hopping into this conversation without full context since I only read back a couple pages but citing FFXV and No Man's Sky as examples of games that revamped everything for free is a weird pull. Persona 5 base game was actually good, those other two were.....not.
Debatable!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Looking forward to a fresh run where I actually know what I'm doing, as opposed to my foray into P5.

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should I wait for this version or just play my vanilla copy? My plan was to start this game the next couple of weeks. Decisions...

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's fair if you didn't like it, but Persona 5 was absolutely a finished game when it released, with tons of effort put into polishing all of it and making it a coherent product. I don't even recall finding any bugs, or seeing any UI, sound or graphical glitch.

No Man's Sky and Final Fantasy XV was in no way any of these things, and both felt more like a lot of systems that never really came together.

Oct 25, 2017
Should I wait for this version or just play my vanilla copy? My plan was to start this game the next couple of weeks. Decisions...
Wait at least for the next batch of information, maybe we'll get a better idea of just how much better this is.

The thing is that the original has some pacing issues that could be cleared up with this rerelease, so it's not just about the new content. I wouldn't say you should skip on P4 if you don't have a Vita, for example, the original is more than enough, but vanilla P5 has more issues in need of fixing, in my opinion.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Haha, no way is Atlus going to have anything on PlayStation 5 near launch. This and Dragon's Crown Pro are technically their first games designed with the PlayStation 4 in mind.
If the PS5 has B/C then I guess it will have it. It will be a long time before a persona game built for the ps5 in mind is made however.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they say anything about a new English translation for this? Persona 5's localization was rough to say the least.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sure. But Ys' translation was also really really awful to the point at which it actually reflected badly on Falcom themselves.

P5's translation is just messy.
I remember the first day playing P5. I installed the Japanese voice pack and it was really buggy (the phone sound got changed by the meele-hit sound, imagine the first scene when you are at Cafe Leblanc and the phone starts ringing downstairs...). Also the music from some scenes carried to other scenes. This and the strange sentence construction made my first game session really weird...
I agree that Ys VIII was far worse, I'll never forget Dana's big hole...

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I don't think I can wait to play. Should I just play the regular game since this one seems to be more of a reimagining of the plot? Game seems to be very different.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can wait to play. Should I just play the regular game since this one seems to be more of a reimagining of the plot? Game seems to be very different.
Depends on your tolerance for long jrpgs. I can only play/replay a persona game every 3-4 years because of fatigue for 100+ hour long games.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Depends on your tolerance for long jrpgs. I can only play/replay a persona game every 3-4 years because of fatigue for 100+ hour long games.
I've got lots of time. Graduating University next week and I've got nothing planned for my life. I don't have issue with long games as I've put hundreds of hours on Isaac and thousands on Pokemon.