Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You consider this a bad thing? This was the BEST thing! We got to a final chance to spend more time with social links, everybody got a second upgraded Persona, there was a beautiful snow setting and a beautiful song, a ski trip scenario (which unfortunately led to the dreaded bonus dungeon if you pursued it) and there was the addition of Valentine's Day!
Other than the dungeon I really don't think any of those things added to game in any way that the original did not.
I have 100 complaints with Persona 4 and none of them were "There's just not enough time to spend with the crew" aside from Naoto of course.
The second upgraded Persona's only make an already easy game even easier. The snow setting is very good though, although not enough for me to warrant Golden as a direct upgrade.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Vastly prefer Golden to Vanilla, but that's just because I'll always prefer the entry with improved QoL. That and I'm not super inundated with anime, so the tropey stuff regarding Marie wasn't noticeable at the time.

As far as what this all means for P5R, it's kinda wait and see. No one I knew was expecting what happened with Catherine: Full Body, so, at this point, I'll just be happy if the homophobia (easily the most indefensible aspect of Persona 5) doesn't get any worse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
570931031260004353.png
This does nothing for me

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As in a reason to, a new dungeon to go through.

Going through a dungeon without the social sim aspect made Maries dungeon a snore, going through the social links without a dungeon as an alternative made the choice to do SLinks less fun.

The best part of modern Persona is alternating between the two worlds and trying to balance one with the other.
I guess we just play these differently because my method is usually "finish dungeon as soon as possible and then spend the rest of the time with S-Links/Confidants."

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Best game in the series? I only ever finished the 5th game and will be streaming the 4th one tonight. Here's hoping I'll love it!

Both 4 and 5 are fantastic, 4 isn't padded like 5 and the pacing is superb, but 5 is very charming and the art direction is some of the best any video games has seen.

but Hashino was the original director for 4 on PS2, Daiki Ito directed the improved version.

i wonder in which direction they will take Persona 6 in the future. succeeding Hashino will put a lot of pressure no doubt.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As in a reason to, a new dungeon to go through.

Going through a dungeon without the social sim aspect made Maries dungeon a snore, going through the social links without a dungeon as an alternative made the choice to do SLinks less fun.

The best part of modern Persona is alternating between the two worlds and trying to balance one with the other.
Oh, I see. I guess I just preferred to have a break from the chaos and have a relaxing time with the social sim for a while, especially when I was capable of clearing a dungeon in one day at that point.

When I did my last playthrough, I literally made a calendar and checklist in Word and mapped out which days I needed to do what during the winter, and I really did need some of those days for leftover social links, particularly Kanji and the old lady, and I was unlocking a bunch of other stuff too. I was also indulging in building Persona movesets and giving Izanagi an OP moveset just for the hell of it. It was a blast. Having a time full of freedom to mess with the mechanics and do whatever I wanted was a good time for me.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I'm 10 hours into P4G and I'm not enjoying it at all. I also tried it years ago and dropped it around that time. What am I doing wrong? I thought Persona 5 was one of the greatest games I've ever played and if Persona 4G was half as good, I should love it.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
The ski trip, I'll give you that it was good, but something about the pacing before it was kinda off.

Its been years since my last playthrough but I recall a good portion of time where you didn't need to go to the tv which ruins the fun.
The best part of these games is the balance of dungeon crawling and time management life sim.

Marie's dungeon separated the time for each and both sections felt much worse off for it.
Golden January is the worst month in the series imo. Felt like a completely unnecessary addition.

Also put in one more vote for Old Chie. I was severely disappointed with the change.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Meh, I prefer 4 to 4G tbh, but let's see how this one improves over 5.

Marie is bad, a new dungeon felt unnecessary, and the other improvements are in base P5. As I've said before, I hope that this version is a re-edition and not P5 with more content.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I prefer 4 to 4G tbh, but let's see how this one improves over 5.

Marie is bad, a new dungeon felt unnecessary, and the other improvements are in base P5. As I've said before, I hope that this version is a re-edition and not P5 with more content.

I don't understand how someone would prefer 4 over 4G. You don't even need to do the Marie stuff or her dungeon, and you can still get the base "true" end, so you can get by with just added events and better skill inheritance/more personas/gameplay.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't understand how someone would prefer 4 over 4G. You don't even need to do the Marie stuff or her dungeon, so you can get by with just added events and better skill inheritance/more personas.
Because I enjoyed the game a lot more when playing the original Ps2 one. When I played G, I obviously tried to do all the new content (it was the main reason I re-played a 80+ hour game), and even if some new events help the game pacing and are good enough, and the game balance changes are alright, the Marie content was just awful.

Also the new opening and battle song are not that good. Overall the game is an improvement, and I'm sure that if I'd played G before OG it will be my favorite version, but coming from vanilla P4 I expected an overall improvement but I felt that it was a mixed bag.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying Golden has "improved upon the vanilla game to a ridiculous degree" while people noted it hasn't is tho. And most people have probably played the Golden version only.
People noted things they didnt like. Saying golden improved upon vanilla by a ridiculous degree is the least controversial statement in this thread. Unless you dont like added events, added areas, more music, more abilities for characters, easier fusion, etc... Most people like golden more, its not even up for debate. This coming from someone who ranked 4 as their least favorite of 3/4/5

Oct 27, 2017
Just because Hashino is gone doesn't mean all the problematic shit is going away. Atlus as a whole seems to have problems.

People should be ready for that.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird that people are complaining about Golden's added scenes when the only really bad one is the extra hot springs scene with Marie. The rest are just more of the gang hanging out and being friends which is something most people seem to love about the game. When I think of scenes which stand out for going too far in the game it's not the golden exclusive ones I'm thinking of, it's the camping trip with Yosuke's obnoxious homophobia and the Amagi Inn trip with Yosuke acting like a creep and dragging the player into his bullshit.

Mazuve1234

Sep 2, 2018
I'm 10 hours into P4G and I'm not enjoying it at all. I also tried it years ago and dropped it around that time. What am I doing wrong? I thought Persona 5 was one of the greatest games I've ever played and if Persona 4G was half as good, I should love it.
I felt the same way as you. Just keep playing it and maybe you will enjoy it, however I didnt find quite as good as Persona 5 except for some of the gag scenes and events. I also recommend that you play Persona 3 FES before reaching the school trip (the best moment of the game IMO) in P4 because you would miss the nostalgia factor.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird that people are complaining about Golden's added scenes when the only really bad one is the extra hot springs scene with Marie. The rest are just more of the gang hanging out and being friends which is something most people seem to love about the game. When I think of scenes which stand out for going too far in the game it's not the golden exclusive ones I'm thinking of, it's the camping trip with Yosuke's obnoxious homophobia and the Amagi Inn trip with Yosuke acting like a creep and dragging the player into his bullshit.
My biggest complaint about P4G is the fact that it's still a freaking Vita exclusive.

Dec 5, 2017
Man P4G was amazing and the reason I bought a Vita. I've been pretty excited for P5R and this makes my expectations higher.

Ant_17

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Greece
If you don't like anime tropes in your anime games then what are you even doing? It's a game about Japanese highschool kids who go to class!

That's like playing Gears of War 2 and saying "I hate Marcus Phoenix he's such a dudebro!".
Maybe cause i don't want a series i like to turn into Star Oceon 4 with shit characters?

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never played Golden but I have played 4. Is it really that much of an upgrade that it's worth playing the whole game again? I really prefer the FES model versus the concept of Golden, just let me play the new content on its own.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Golden was my first Persona game and I absolutely loved it, so much so I recently got the platinum. One of my favourite JRPG's for years. Looking forward to Royal's release to see how it expands upon the original.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I liked Golden well enough. Marie wasn't necessarily the greatest character, but I was surprised with how well integrated she felt - which I'm sure some people disagree with, but yeah. So I'm a-okay with this news.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I can't express how excited I am about this! P4G is one of the greatest games O have played in my entire life, so here I'm hoping P5R will be even better now.

Calle crazy, but I liked Marie in P4G. I'm willing to die on this hill.

I'm now playing through P3P on my Vita and 2 hours in. I need more Persona in my life.

Oct 26, 2017
Best game in the series? I only ever finished the 5th game and will be streaming the 4th one tonight. Here's hoping I'll love it!
It'll be interesting for you. I think P4G is far superior in terms of narrative and characters, but P5 introduced many qol improvements and other actual gameplay mechanic updates. Going backwards from 5 to 4 will highlight some of the more archaic aspects of the previous games design, but once the story gets going I hope it and it's characters keep you as hooked as I and many others were.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Marie is fun in context, if you treat her as an add-on character that's extraneous to the plot. The same goes for Alex in Strange Journey Redux.