Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That said, there was a ton of polish, care and design put into the Skyrim VR. A well thought out and complete UI overhaul, weapon handling, bow handling, combat tweaks and optimizing the assets to nail 60 fps at all times.
Do you have proof of that?
I still think people are underestimating the difference an entire generation of hardware as the target platform makes in just how much effort you need to expand to get a good result.

RE: Skyrim

Reading the Vive Reddit forum, it seems like the hit box doesn't actually move with your physical movements (in roomscale). Meaning if you physically dodge to avoid arrows, your hit box will remain stationary (where initialized at startup), and you won't actually avoid damage (even though it looks as though you've physically dodged the arrow).
That sucks a lot.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have proof of that?
I still think people are underestimating the difference an entire generation of hardware as the target platform makes in just how much effort you need to expand to get a good result.

That sucks a lot.

I don't have proof that they redid any art on the assets, but they put the work in to guarantee that the game never dropped a frame by manipulating their LODs and spawning extensively. Beyond just tweaking engine values.

I'm really starting to think that they were forced to by Sony cert. The fact that this game came out on PSVR first may be a bit of a blessing.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
Well I got Skyrim VR.

Maybe it's because i'm on a 970 and the settings are set to medium, but the game made me feel just a little queezy, wasn't too bad.

But I don't think the game is all that well optomized for VR as far as controls etc go. Out of all the games I have played it feels like it has the worst melee combat I have ever experienced. The weapons are at a weird angle for the touch controls and the combat is just flaying around. I know it's an old game and just ported to VR and not built for it, but the game would be so good if the melee combat was competent.

Bows and Magic are pretty cool, but only problem I have is the weird angle of the weapons. Like the magic seems to come out of the top of the controller, like higher up then it should be. p

Does anyone here have a 970 and tried it with higher settings than the default?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some real MVP found a console workaround to make Live Another Life work. Thank the divine, if I had to go through that carriage ride again...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
RE: Skyrim

Reading the Vive Reddit forum, it seems like the hit box doesn't actually move with your physical movements (in roomscale). Meaning if you physically dodge to avoid arrows, your hit box will remain stationary (where initialized at startup), and you won't actually avoid damage (even though it looks as though you've physically dodged the arrow).
hmm, I thought the issue was only when you sheathed your weapon, but nope, it's mostly visible if you do. Bethesda have acknowledge the issue and have stated they're looking into it, it's one of the top comments in the thread. Here's hoping for a fix.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Steam have a birthday sale last year for the Vive 1 year?

And I've read (can't link at the moment but it's EGs Vive pro article) that there is a bunch of games been given out for free

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

BallisticNG has added beta support for VR. Anyone try it yet? I'm really jealous of how good Wipeout for PS4 is, but this would certainly be a ton cheaper. Some of the youtube videos look really jaggie, but since the requirements are so low, I assume you can crank up the SS and get rid of that? It's only 4.99, so I think I'm going to pick it up later today.

EDIT: Some impressions have finally been posted on Reddit. Seems it's VERY rough at this stage.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, smooth locomotion made me sick in Skyrim after about 20 minutes. Looks like it's teleportation for me. Shame, the locomotion works great.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never been able to comfortably use smooth locomotion. I wish I could! I don't mind the teleportation method used by Fallout and Skyrim VR though.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about people having locomotion sickness in Skyrim VR for PC worries me because I've played 100+ hours in Skyrim VR on PSVR with no issues using smooth locomotion and smooth turning. Do guys just not have VR legs or is there a problem with the PC port?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it works okay but I fear the constant "click, click, click..." isn't going to be good for my trackpads.
I prefer the trackpad to Fallout's trigger teleport at least.
All this talk about people having locomotion sickness in Skyrim VR for PC worries me because I've played 100+ hours in Skyrim VR on PSVR with no issues using smooth locomotion and smooth turning. Do guys just not have VR legs or is there a problem with the PC port?
"VR legs" is an over-simplification and I try not to refer to it.

I've had a Rift and a Vive since their respective day ones. I experienced discomfort with smooth locomotion then, and I still feel it maybe ~75% as much now after hundreds of hours of VR. I have built a resilience to some stuff, like being upside-down in a flight sim for example, but I still find smooth locomotion unusable. It's just such a personal thing; some people have zero issue from the first time they use VR and some people do build up an effective resilience over time. Some, like myself, just haven't been able to and it's not a matter of "VR legs".

There is nothing inherent to Skyrim's locomotion that would make it worse from what I can tell. You should be fine.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, smooth locomotion made me sick in Skyrim after about 20 minutes. Looks like it's teleportation for me. Shame, the locomotion works great.

I would suggest you turn on the comfort blinders to maximum then slowly reduce them over hours to acclimate yourself.

They are annoying as hell, but they work. It's a great way to get VR legs without getting sick.

Zepp Twofist

Oct 27, 2017
What's the status of using dp-minidp cable for vive these days? Due to my graphics card suddenly refusing to use dp-hdmi adaptor for sound I can't use my single hdmi slot for my vive anymore if I also want to get sound to my receiver.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think even the most iron stomached VR users usually have issues with smooth turning. I can handle a lot and it immediately affects me. I'm kind of surprised it's even still an option sometimes.
Yeah I have no issue with smooth movement but as soon as I try smooth turning I feel sick. Not that it's needed with a vive anyway.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
I think even the most iron stomached VR users usually have issues with smooth turning. I can handle a lot and it immediately affects me. I'm kind of surprised it's even still an option sometimes.
I think it's the altitude changes for me. Running up or down hills and such, and inclines. I can do From Other Suns easily with smooth turning and movement. But as soon as up and down is introduced, I have trouble.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Locomotion sickness occurs on stuttering/juddering games for me. I need perfect 90 fps all the time and on my rig (8700k @ 4.8 with nvidia 1080 on SSD) in Skyrim no matter how much I lower settings judder will occur via inconsistent frame pacing (quick dips to 87-89 fps) and also on streaming in assets. FPS dips won't really affect you when you're using teleportation.

Easy way to test if you're affected by this with the performance hud in with oculustray.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So since your custom Vive wand skin carries over into game, I wonder if anyone is going to make custom skyrim hand skins to make it more immersive.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

smooth turning gives me very minor problems in about 50% of games, usually due to it not being absolutely perfectly smooth. When it is that smooth, I'm fine with it for days.

Also has to do with the rate of spinning. Can't be super fast.

Locomotion sickness occurs on stuttering/juddering games for me. I need perfect 90 fps all the time and on my rig (8700k @ 4.8 with nvidia 1080 on SSD) in Skyrim no matter how much I lower settings judder will occur via inconsistent frame pacing (quick dips to 87-89 fps) and also on streaming in assets. FPS dips won't really affect you when you're using teleportation.

Easy way to test if you're affected by this with the performance hud in with oculustray.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the game has some fundamental stutter flaws that some people can't even perceive, or if it's some bug / conflict. Thankfully I can deal with it.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Is is possible to force ASW on Oculus for non-Oculus-store games? Personally, ASW isn't perceptibly worse than 90FPS for me, and I would love to get rid of those last tiny hitches in Skyrim.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Is is possible to force ASW on Oculus for non-Oculus-store games? Personally, ASW isn't perceptibly worse than 90FPS for me, and I would love to get rid of those last tiny hitches in Skyrim.

Even when playing SteamVR games, the Rift is still talking directly with the Oculus runtime, and you should still have ASW. SteamVR just acts as a layer on top of it. Make sure you have SteamVR's reprojection options turned off though, as they may interfere.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Half a bag of ginger candy was all it took me to get through the VR legs development period.

Crunch down a piece at the start of a session. If you don't mind the taste, suck on each subsequent piece. If you hate the taste, just chew them and take a drink every 20 minutes.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Half a bag of ginger candy was all it took me to get through the VR legs development period.

Crunch down a piece at the start of a session. If you don't mind the taste, suck on each subsequent piece. If you hate the taste, just chew them and take a drink every 20 minutes.

Unfortunately ginger makes me feel nauseous so it's not exactly any help, last I tried it to help with VR I was feeling sick before I even put on the HMD :)

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's too much to ask that Quill goes on sale huh? Or is that one of those games you get for free with Touch?

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had to draw from a quiver in Skyrim VR. Wouldl be more fun, and it looks silly having an arrow for a right hand all the time.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Rise of the Gunters still isn't on Steam yet. Vive Studios must have cut a pretty exclusivity check.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Question post patch - L.A. Noire Case Files on Steam VR. Reading some reviews, I have an i7 3770K and some are reporting that if your CPU falls below the minimum spec, it's just a black screen on the Oculus store. Any one had any luck playing with an older CPU before I go for it?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Question post patch - L.A. Noire Case Files on Steam VR. Reading some reviews, I have an i7 3770K and some are reporting that if your CPU falls below the minimum spec, it's just a black screen on the Oculus store. Any one had any luck playing with an older CPU before I go for it?
I have exactly that CPU and I can confirm it doesn't run on my PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else find rec room on psvr much... Slower? Like there is a input lag or delay in the wands? I also have an oculus rift and it's instant, 1:1 motion while the psvr is so.. sluggish.. is something wrong with my psvr?

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it finally happened. SkyrimVR Bleak Falls Barrow was too much for me. I had my first bought of motion sickness while in VR. Pro tip - dont reduce the comfort FOV. ;)

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Rampage VR is out on Steam now, for free. And it is excellent. I can't believe the effort they put into a free promotion for the movie.

It really is Rampage in VR!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/808550/Project_Rampage_VR/

Not bad not bad, but seems a bit buggy. You can can drag the dna symbols out of the screen onto the environment and the mission start button for the second dna unlock simply doesn't show up for me, maybe it disappeared somewhere in the lab lol (the strength one worked, the green after that doesn't)

I guess it needs some work.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad not bad, but seems a bit buggy. You can can drag the dna symbols out of the screen onto the environment and the mission start button for the second dna unlock simply doesn't show up for me, maybe it disappeared somewhere in the lab lol (the strength one worked, the green after that doesn't)

I guess it needs some work.

Yeah I got to the third mission and they want me to slot a DNA that doesn't exist to proceed. Looks like everyone is having the same problem.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it finally happened. SkyrimVR Bleak Falls Barrow was too much for me. I had my first bought of motion sickness while in VR. Pro tip - dont reduce the comfort FOV. ;)

I've had a touch of motion sickness with a few games, but it's never been an issue for me when I use teleport. I played through Bleak Falls Barrow last night with teleport and had no problem.

BTW, I think I really fell in love with the VR version of Skyrim when I stood at the entrance to Bleak Falls Barrow with its arches looming overhead and the massive doors standing twenty feet tall in front of me. Then I entered and I was really *in* the dungeon. Awesome.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a touch of motion sickness with a few games, but it's never been an issue for me when I use teleport. I played through Bleak Falls Barrow last night with teleport and had no problem.

BTW, I think I really fell in love with the VR version of Skyrim when I stood at the entrance to Bleak Falls Barrow with its arches looming overhead and the massive doors standing twenty feet tall in front of me. Then I entered and I was really *in* the dungeon. Awesome.

Yeah, that's the moment it really hit home for me as well. The wind whipping off the top of snowbanks on your way up to the entrance, then the absolutely massive architecture of the entrance. So amazing.