• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
People are just going to start pirating stuff again.
Yeah, when your store basically offer the same features as pirated games, people would just choose to pirate.

Kinda OT, but, why did they delete the tweet without a follow-up with the right link? Are they PR or a news site?
It's not news embargo yet. They were supposed to post that tweet later after the official announcement, probably at Epic GDC panel.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Epic thinks Canada uses USD. They offered me metro about 60 cents cheaper than Steam pre-order, not including their ludicrous transaction fee.

I laugh at any assurances that Epic does good regional prices. Even GMG got prices in CAD now, ffs.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
You know, I thought Epic could have done something really unique in PC scene:
Setting up studio to help translate JP only VNs and games for their store.
Funding cutting edge looking games for PC (Crysis esque).
Making unique cross promotion Fornite skins for most games on their store.
Some indie jam program.

Shoving money down publisher's throat is so lazy.
yeah but that takes effort

they clearly want to put as little of that as possible into this venture

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
People are just going to start pirating stuff again.

I'm pretty sure this is playing out in the TV/film streaming world too. The increasing number of competing services is causing people to just go back to pirating shit instead of worrying about paying for 6 different subscriptions.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Didn't they literally just say The Outer Worlds wouldn't be exclusive to EGS in that Game Informer video? Could've sworn I remembered seeing that.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think someone killed someone's dog judging by all the aggresively outraged reactions. Just vote with your wallet, people. I too am heavily invested in Steam with +2400 games and simply won't install another launcher, but these reactions feel almost personal. Jesus. And here I was thinking we PC gamers were the older, wiser bunch over platform warring. Obviously I was deluded.

People calling it competition too.
Is it not?

Sure, ban everyone who doesn't share your corporate fanatism, lmao.

Be happy this will probably make Valve start operating on sth a bit closer to human time. Yes, competition. It's personally what I'm looking forward to. I will buy The Outer Worlds whenever it comes to Steam, and I sure won't hate Obsidian with the fury of a thousand suns for not wanting my money meanwhile. It's their own choice to make.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised nobody seems to care that a "news site" is basically being paid to write pro Epic stories.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
At least games launching exclusively on EGS saves me money as now I'm more inclined to wait for the game to be on a deep discount after the one year exclusive. Not supporting dumb console platform wars on PC.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is playing out in the TV/film streaming world too. The increasing number of competing services is causing people to just go back to pirating shit instead of worrying about paying for 6 different subscriptions.
Not really comparable situations. Paying for subscriptions is very different to installing a free launcher. Essentially nobody who wanted to play Apex Legends said, "Oh, no, I have to install Origin, however will I cope?" We're talking about an essentially non-existent entry barrier here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can Microsoft step in and tell Epic to fuck the fuck off?

Unfortunately not. Obsidian nor Microsoft likely have any control over this. Take Two is the publisher so they probably have full control over where the game is being sold. Hopefully Microsoft will obtain publishing rights for a sequel though and it'll come to other stores.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Not really comparable situations. Paying for subscriptions is very different to installing a free launcher. Essentially nobody who wanted to play Apex Legends said, "Oh, no, I have to install Origin, however will I cope?" We're talking about an essentially non-existent entry barrier here.

(Unless you live in China then fuck you!)
(Or Korea! Fuck you!)
(Or play on Linux! Fuck you!)

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There's still countries that have regional pricing on both Steam and Epic, who did not get any kind of discount for Metro. The whole continent of Europe is a good example. It was €60 on Steam, it's €60 on Epic now, and the UK didn't get any discount either.

The UK is in a state of arrested development. No country or business is giving them a break. The EU not getting such a benefit is a shame but that still doesn't invalidate the majority of countries getting a price break. In aggregate consumers as a group still experienced a discount.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's funny how Epic doing this bullshit is having the exact opposite of the intended effect (on me anyway). Every game they buy makes me less likely to ever use their store.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Features, prices, data safety or even purchases safety arent a non-existent entry barrier.

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I was really positive about the future of PC gaming but lately I'm not so sure. And I never would've guessed it would be Epic of all companies — not Microsoft or Facebook — to make things feel so grim.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
You are a troll and have shown that on multiple of these threads now.

I'm not trying to be. I'm genuinely positive about Epic's movement into the space, and Steam isn't even putting up a fight.

I will admit that the second quote on there was a bit mean-spirited but the visceral responses to this news over and over seem crazy to me and I might have overreacted there because of it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
No it's a fact that Epic is offering regional pricing in countries Valve never touched. Epic is better than Valve on this front.

You are sort of right that by offering it in multiple stores the game would've been cheaper for us Americans and Europeans.

The catch is that the discount is limited to sporadic sales so it would only help the savviest more determined bargain hunters. Metro's Epic MSRP otoh ensures that everyone enjoys a discount and in aggregate this makes the game cheaper for consumers as a group instead of only the most proactive consumers.

Let's not get too caught up in trying to prop up Metro as a bastion for Epic offering cheaper games though. It's the only game to really offer that benefit so while we can't say it never happened it's not worth it to claim there is any reasonable chance of price reductions for other Epic timed exclusives.

That is because when Valve decides to support region they go after currency and payment methods too, they don't just convert price in dollars.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Didn't they literally just say The Outer Worlds wouldn't be exclusive to EGS in that Game Informer video? Could've sworn I remembered seeing that.
Yes, they said it would come to Steam, someone posted it timestamped earlier in this thread. It seems like it could have been all Take-Two who have retroactively made liars out of Cain and Boyarsky, rather than them lying about it in the video. Or as someone else pointed out they said it would come to Steam, not when.

You'd think someone killed someone's dog judging by all the aggresively outraged reactions. Just vote with your wallet, people. I too am heavily invested in Steam with +2400 games and simply won't install another launcher, but these reactions feel almost personal. Jesus. And here I was thinking we PC gamers were the older, wiser bunch over platform warring. Obviously I was deluded.

Is it not?

Be happy this will probably make Valve start operating on sth a bit closer to human time. Yes, competition. It's personally what I'm looking forward to. I will buy The Outer Worlds whenever it comes to Steam, and I sure won't hate Obsidian with the fury of a thousand suns for not wanting my money meanwhile. It's their own choice to make.
Calling for disingenuous trolls to get banned isn't at all calling for everyone who supports the EGS to get banned. Also, being able to get a certain product from exactly one source at exactly one price is the opposite of competition.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Is it not?

We've been spoiled these past 6-7 years. Our platform is more flexible, open, accommodating and easier to use than ever. DRM free is now a reality after the dark days of the 7th gen. Games for Windows live is still something I haven't forgotten and I'm not the only one. UWP is finally fading after the headaches that caused.

We just don't want to be forced to use a launcher/store that we don't want to use for games that we're accustomed to having available on multiple stores/launchers.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I'm not trying to be. I'm genuinely positive about Epic's movement into the space, and Steam isn't even putting up a fight.

I will admit that the second quote on there was a bit mean-spirited but the visceral responses to this news over and over seem crazy to me and I might have overreacted there because of it.
Because all we need is Valve also getting in the moneyhatting game and then completely breaking smaller stores like GOG and itch.io too, right? Then they will be 'putting up a fight'.

Oct 27, 2017
Because all we need is Valve also getting in the moneyhatting game and then completely breaking smaller stores like GOG and itch.io too, right? Then they will be 'putting up a fight'.
This is something that's always overlooked when people demand Valve "compete" with Epic. There are smaller stores who can't compete at all and they're going to be the immediate losers.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Oh well, either PS4 or 1 year later on Steam for me then, leaning towards 1 year later at cheap price.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Putting a fight is console war shit.
Who cares about which billionair company makes more money ?
All I want is to have a choice where I buy my games.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Scenario 1:

Game X releases on 3 stores.

All 3 stores then start doing different pricings to entice people to buy from their store.
End users benefit from this COMPETITION obviously.
This scenario is competition.

Scenario 2:

Game X is paid by store nr.3 to only release on that store.
No pricing wars. No end user benefit because no competition is happening.

So can you people saying this is good competition tell me, how exactly is this competition, and since competition is good for end user, how is this good for me?

Seen people go how it's competition and good, but always leave it at that, not going into the actual argument at all.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a non-PC gamer I embrace these announcements for their entertainment value.

EDIT: LOL Post #3 in this thread is literally a popcorn.gif

but shit is serious. I'll see myself out
You know, this honest assholery I can accept. Even appreciate. It's the disengenuous bastards that grind my gears.

Anyway, I fully expect Epic to moneyhat every single interesting game coming out this year. Control next. Nobody can say no to Fortnite bucks, apparently. (Dumb who offers, dumber who doesn't take!)

Status
Not open for further replies.