• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Those developers have really no moral integrity in my opinion, a thing you should have when you do business. Fig is even more complicated than Kickstarter since there's the option to be an investor, not a backer, and still they made the game by using money of the investors and now they do this. There should be a legislation because as it is now I see no difference between the PC world and Red Dead Redemption.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The face of innocence?
42.jpg

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If Fig fails to give investors their share of the EGS money, they are 100% getting sued, agreement terms be damned. Frankly, I wouldn't be too surprised if both Fig and Snapshot Games get sued regardless.

Whoa, so there are investors that are supposed to get some kind of cut from the game's sales, but had no say in this change and are left out of whatever direct funding they got from Epic? If so, that's some slimy stuff.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Those developers have really no moral integrity in my opinion, a thing you should have when you do business. Fig is even more complicated than Kickstarter since there's the option to be an investor, not a backer, and still they made the game by using money of the investors and now they do this. There should be a legislation because as it is now I see no difference between the PC world and Red Dead Redemption.

Yes but in their defence

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really flabbergasted by how excessively tone-deaf this is.
Regardless of what else is going on, you can generally count on Crowdfunded projects doing their utmost to do right by their backers (often even including later content that wasn't part of the original pitch).

Honestly, this makes it seem like the developers have very little confidence in the success of their game.

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
The game seemed interesting but i don't know... exclusives with crowdfunded games are extra shitty

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Can't wait for the usual people justifying this like always. When will they say "ok, this crossed the line" regarding all this EGS nonsense?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I hadn't planned on getting into the Epic Store until it had proved some degree of longevity. I'm tempted to refund this.

This is coming to Game pass on Xbox, right?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
gollop is a piece of shit

I'll be getting my money back and never playing this, or any other game he makes from now on.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Also with something like this fresh in people's minds this will have a negative impact on Kickstarter Fig etc in the future.
Personally I think I'm done with backing games because for all I know this exact situation might play out exactly the same on another game I back.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
"Hey. If you want a DRM free copy you can choose GoG."
"If you want a copy with workshop support, family sharing, BPM, universal controller support, a discussion portal etc. you can choose the Steam key."

"Or. No. We got money so you get nothing of that!!! Fuck you too! lol kthxbye"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder. They will have spent all or almost all of the crowdfunding money already, did Epic enter into the deal agreeing to foot the bill for any refund requests in addition to other funding?

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, this is the first one that actually hurts. Still, I'm willing to wait since I'm pretty sure the game would be extensively patched like most games of similar scope/genre. Maybe there will be an expansion pack by that time too.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you get a refund, that still means you gave them an interest free loan with no return from it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That is a new level fucked up-ness. You can't do this to your backers, what the fuck.

I hope these devs enjoys their short term cash flow while their reputation goes down the sink.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Why other devs that did this were able to offer steam keys and be on the store?Doesn't make sense...

Steam Key rules says:

uEeaK9D.png

"Providing backers with beta testing keys prior to release is also OK, but only backers should receive those keys "

So I guess they could've given backers - but not those who bought from website.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's definitely unfortunate. I'd like to say this is an example of the Epic moneyhat being used on a game that actually isn't already from an established group, but then it did have a successful Kickstarter. I'm certainly hoping that they'll be looking as much or more into stuff that doesn't already have an audience aware of it.

Why other devs that did this were able to offer steam keys and be on the store?Doesn't make sense...

This is the team in question's first game, isn't it? In that case they may not have the whole Steam developer account thing yet. No account, no way to get Steam keys.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is pizza in the same way that making an exclusivity deal with Epic is fulfilling your obligation to backers who were promised a Steam or GoG release.
A bittersweet ending, according to Snapshot Games.
I'll straight up say this now and prep for the blowback nightmare

I think Shenmue III is a priority target for Epic and they are going to gun for it

It is a Unreal Engine 4 game
Isn't Deep Silver also publishing the game?

Then... I'm already expecting the worst.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Backed the game, I am not that arsed about getting a epic key. But is a shitty move for backers. At the end of day even with all this negativity about the Epic store, it's not stopped developers signing up. There has got to be more to it than money.

Metro Exodus fucked up my PC, but I am not moaning like some sort of child. I not stupid enough to blame the Epic store. As the game ran fine on my Nephews PC using my account no problems.