• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least we'll get a Jim Sterling video on this dissecting how it is impacting the consumer and how Epic is actually creating a monopoly now despite their claims of competition and ironic mentions of Steam being a monopoly. Right?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Then if you are morally brankrupt, it's the right move to make I guess.

If I backed the game with the expectation of adding the game on my steam library, I'd be very annoyed by this.
That very much seems like the case at the moment.

I was (am) a late backer and just requested my refund. Not because of any undying love for Steam, but because crowd funding relys 100% on the backers' good will and making a deal behind their backs breaks that beyond any repair.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really perplexed as to why someone would do this. Why limit your sales. Why even hamper yourself as an indie dev who already has to struggle.
The easiest answer to that is that you are not particularly confident in your game's success, and would rather take money immediately than expect a good launch.

Of course, it takes a special brand of callousness to make that decision for a crowdfunded game, where you promised your most ardent supporters a Steam or GoG release.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
God dammit. This really hurts =( It was one of my most anticipated for 2019, I guess it's 2020 now. Epic knows what games to pick up to bully me. Leave Disco Elysium alone you fuckers!

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backed the game, I am not that arsed about getting a epic key. But is a shitty move for backers. At the end of day even with all this negativity about the Epic store, it's not stopped developers signing up. There has got to be more to it than money.

Metro Exodus fucked up my PC, but I am not moaning like some sort of child. I not stupid enough to blame the Epic store. As the game ran fine on my Nephews PC using my account no problems.

Assuring your indie studio survival for another game is more important for these devs than the angry nerds being mad at you on social media.

There nothing more than money.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got this email and came to ERA to witness the carnage. I'm fine with the Epic Games store and the fact this is netting me a year worth of DLC for free is great. Also glad that they were able to make a deal that's going to keep them working on it for the foreseeable future. Shrug.

If Epic wants to fund DLC and keep it exclusive that's fine but to remove the game from other stores from a crowdfunding game makes no sense to me.

"We didn't have money before and now we do, bye bitch"

Lol, I guess so!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
btw, even if you wait a year, they won't give you anything on steam or gog

it's epic or nothing for your backer rewards. what a turd

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
That very much seems like the case at the moment.

I was (am) a late backer and just requested my refund. Not because of any undying love for Steam, but because crowd funding relys 100% on the backers' good will and making a deal behind their backs breaks that beyond any repair.

I feel the same.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
From the pure business perspective: guaranteed money in the bank is of greater value than a higher quantity of theoretical future money.

The problem is that I haven't seen a backlash this bad against a new PC game digital distributor since... we're probably talking Steam itself at this rate. Maybe Origin? The point is, I am pretty sure that the backlash is going to be affecting EGS sales. It's not quite "Xbox One announces DRM" bad, but it's getting there.

We also have the problem of late ports (or, in this case, late-to-other-stores) not selling as well as day-and-date ports (presumably because of less marketing around the game at the time of the late port).

And there's a potential problem of longer-term reputational damage as a result of this deal (see how the Tomb Raider reboot series never really recovered from Rise of the Tomb Raider's initial poor sales as an Xbox One exclusive).

Side note: I would find it hard to believe that Ubisoft would be willing to sign up three of their flagship games to EGS without the ability for Ubi to bail out early if targets aren't met.
Is the backlash outside of ERA and a few other places (ive seen critical responses in an RPS article....) really as big as we maker it out to be?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
How is this a scummy move on Epic's part? It's the developer who accepted the exclusivity offer and betrayed the expectations of their crowdfunding audience.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't mind the moves Epic has been making, but doing this for a crowdfunded game where the backers backed based on the available platforms seems over the line.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So this was coming to Xbox game pass. I'm assuming this epic deal also kills any chance for this game to be in game pass on PC? Happened with Ashen. Can't play it on PC via game pass because of the epic deal.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They better hope the Epic money can cover the development costs of their next game or that they can find a publisher, because no one is going to crowdfund them ever again.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the angry nerds that crowdfunded the game and are the only reason it exists, no longer matter

If the game bombed on Steam, they (might) have to close or expect that another crowfunding is successful to keep operating. I guess that people would like some stability on their lives rather than please backers.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If the game bombed on Steam, they (might) have to close or expect that another crowfunding is successful to keep operating. I guess that people would like some stability on their lives rather than please backers.

So you think they will make enough off of the EGS and their exclusivity check to fully fund another game without crowdfunding or a publisher?

Because they aren't ever going to get another crowdfunding attempt again.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Pissing off your backers is a great way to make sure a bunch of people have second thoughts when you announce a new game.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
What's so rotten about this is that they're using the good will of Steam users and other PC gamers to generate interest and a funding base and then reaching out to someone else for more money and an exclusivity deal. I don't know the details and terms of Fig investors and if they have any legal recourse, but this hurts Fig directly, and Fig will likely need to respond since this will make people lose faith in Fig as a platform if developers can unilaterally take these money deals which would impact the returns of Fig investors.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Really feel for the backers who wanted especially DRM free GOG-copy. Fucking disgusting how they're dealing with this. Especially this being a crowdfunded game.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think they will make enough off of the EGS and their exclusvity check to fully fund another game without crowdfunding or a publisher?

Yes, I think they are seeing enough moneyhating + higher revenue and exposure as a way to stay afloat and develop one more game,rather than bank their future on Steam sales.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They better hope the Epic money can cover the development costs of their next game or that they can find a publisher, because no one is going to crowdfund them ever again.

Not just them, but other developers out there as well. If you're anti-EGS for any reason you should be very hesitant to back any game.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I think they are seeing enough moneyhating + higher revenue and exposure as a way to stay afloat and develop one more game,rather than bank their future on Steam sales.

Uh, this game would not have exposure problems on Steam.

And unless this game sells equally on EGS to steam , the game would have easily made more money on Steam then just selling on EGS, ignoring the exclusivity check.

So unless Epic is literally funding the next game without being a publisher,

I call bullshit on that.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
If Epic wants to fund DLC and keep it exclusive that's fine but to remove the game from other stores from a crowdfunding game makes no sense to me.
I get that. Feels like a bait and switch. I might be pissed if I wasn't solely focused on just getting the game. I'm a huge fan of Gollop and XCOM so I'd pretty much go anywhere for this game.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So you think they will make enough off of the EGS and their exclusivity check to fully fund another game without crowdfunding or a publisher?

Because they aren't ever going to get another crowdfunding attempt again.

If they get the sales they promised I'm sure they'll have enough to keep going, at least based on the idea that a full year of support is going on.

I don't hate on anyone being soured by this sort of thing when they would have gotten Steam or GOG keys, but at the same time this seems to me to be the exact kind of example of game they'd otherwise want Epic to help fund, because if not the base game then at least DLC, etc. is in development. (Indeed, if this money is helping to go toward that support, it's probably better they announce this now rather than make the base game available on all platforms but the DLC be only on the Epic store.)

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a release date along with this news? Because I don't really care what store it is, the game looks rad and I'll be there at launch.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If they get the sales they promised I'm sure they'll have enough to keep going, at least based on the idea that a full year of support is going on.

I don't hate on anyone being soured by this sort of thing when they would have gotten Steam or GOG keys, but at the same time this seems to me to be the exact kind of example of game they'd otherwise want Epic to help fund, because if not the base game then at least DLC, etc. is in development.

They have not announced any DLC plans, so them promising one year of DLC means literally nothing.

They could release nothing but cosmetics packs for a year and still fufill their deal. Backers didnt back the game for non-existent way in the future DLC, they backed to get the game where they wanted to get the game.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018

One more game might count as stability for Gollop - it'd probably take him through to roughly retirement age - but it's an odd business strategy to piss off the foundation of people who were both literally and metaphorically super-invested in your product.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the backlash outside of ERA and a few other places (ive seen critical responses in an RPS article....) really as big as we maker it out to be?
I haven't seen a comment thread about anything regarding EGS that has more pro-EGS commenters than anti-EGS commenters. Even the many, many pro-EGS opinion columns that the games press have been producing ever since the store's announcement, the corresponding comment threads have been mostly negative at best.

Whether that affects the sales figures, I wouldn't be able to tell you for certain, but it would make logical sense that if the general gaming public (broadly speaking) doesn't like a store, they won't buy things from said store (again, broadly speaking).

Side note: GDC next week is going to be very interesting, and I would fully expect (at minimum) further details about how EGS is planning to open the floodgates. I would also not be surprised if we finally get some sales figures (officially or otherwise).

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The easiest answer to that is that you are not particularly confident in your game's success, and would rather take money immediately than expect a good launch.

Of course, it takes a special brand of callousness to make that decision for a crowdfunded game, where you promised your most ardent supporters a Steam or GoG release.
Even more so just not even giving a fuck about your fans who invested. I understand game development is hard, I personally know, but this is just straight up catastrophically bad from Epic and the dev. You are actively saying fuck you to people who invested in your game, how on earth could you do that to people who brought your games potential of nothing to actually making it a thing just boggles my mind.

This is crazy. It's a dev problem certainly, but this is also showing Epic give no fucks and are forcing their way into the market in the hopes they'll get you to weaken. It's fucking disgusting.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Even though they offer refunds, I still can't get over it. This is such a scummy move. You turn to crowdfunding to create your game. People believe in your project and they back you up. You gain their trust. Years later you're done and about to release the game and a store front approaches you for an exclusivity deal. You then take the time to assess their offer, calculate how much it would cost you in sells on steam plus the backers you'll need to refund, go with it anyway because profit and break any bound there was with the fans for the past few years, the ones who kept reading any possible update regarding the game, etc. Sure, there are some fans who won't care and simply will accept the Epic key instead but I feel like this is a treason for all the folks who disagree with all of this.

"Hey we'll make more money if we follow path B from now on. Oh well lol"