Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I won't say for sure, but I have a feeling that Epic, after seeing how many pre-orders Metro saw on Steam, they might have forced future devs to not give steam keys during the exclusivity time period.
Considering that The Division 2 keys are (apparently) getting pulled from non-Uplay and non-EGS stores on launch day, I wouldn't be too surprised if that also happened there.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This is crummy practice. But I see it for what it is. It's business. Both for epic and the developers. I fault epic much more because I know they make shit tons of money already. But I don't fault the devs much. These guys are just trying to make ends meet. If the game flops that could mean the end of the studio.

Either you are joking, or you don't know what crowdfunding means...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Screw the EGS, anti-consumer POS. If they gain enough traction, I wouldn't be surprised if their endgame is to be as much console-like as possible. No discounts on new games and rare sales with crappy sale prices (Nintendo-like), charge for features normally free on PC like cloud saves, online play, etc...

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This is crummy practice. But I see it for what it is. It's business. Both for epic and the developers. I fault epic much more because I know they make shit tons of money already. But I don't fault the devs much. These guys are just trying to make ends meet. If the game flops that could mean the end of the studio.
they made that choice when they decided to crowdfund.

They can't have their cake an eat it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Screw the EGS, anti-consumer POS. If they gain enough traction, I wouldn't be surprised if their endgame is to be as much console-like as possible. No discounts on new games and rare sales with crappy sale prices (Nintendo-like), charge for features normally free on PC like cloud saves, online play, etc...
I hope EGS has the same fate as GFWL.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wow they are not talking about refunding people, they are talking about people giving them payment details to a separate third party payment system. It's not a refund at all. Extremely dodgy to withhold refunds unless people sign up to an entirely unrelated third party service, rather than just actually refunding people's original transactions.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
They made ends meet when they launched a successful fig campaign.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow they are not talking about refunding people, they are talking about people giving them payment details to a separate third party payment system. It's not a refund at all. Extremely dodgy to withhold refunds unless people sign up to an entirely unrelated third party service, rather than just actually refunding people's original transactions.
Another potential avenue for a lawsuit.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Yup discouraging refunds by making it a convuluted long process.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
in the official discord the community manager has said you can get a steam or gog key in a year when they launch there in addition to the epic key now

includes that year of dlc or whatever

just as an update btw

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting thing will be the fig situation. This is the first time something like this has happened no?

This is like if you invested money in a restaurant chain which promised to release in Los Angeles and New York and the guy who took your money told you it's only releasing in Milwaukee now cause the city paid him money (which you're not seeing a cent of) to cancel the construction in the other cities for now.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God, I'm so mad about this. Snapshot was one of the good ones too. They handled Chaos Reborn's campaign and development incredibly well. Phoenix Point's campaign was excellent and I've been impressed with their backer preview builds.

Fuck em. This is beyond disrespectful to their backers, not to mention their Fig investors. I'm entering my refund request now.

Epic can go to hell too. This is the absolute worst way to compete with Steam.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
My Youtube recommendations q.q

Bi6XrNI.png

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
They want people to stop refudning their 100 dollar collectors editions.

wont stop them.
That's a U-turn, and probably won't quell the rush to refund.
they updated the official faq too:

Where will I be able to play Phoenix Point on PC and Mac? Will the game ever be released on Steam, GOG.com or through other third-party outlets?

Part of our arrangement with Epic is a one year-exclusivity period on PC and Mac through the Epic Games Store. One year after release, we'll be able to distribute the game through other third-party stores, such as Steam and GOG.com. All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period.

https://phoenixpoint.info/epicfaq?_ga=2.125820042.1898538789.1552414257-1678385940.1552414257

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Where will I be able to play Phoenix Point on PC and Mac? Will the game ever be released on Steam, GOG.com or through other third-party outlets?

Part of our arrangement with Epic is a one year-exclusivity period on PC and Mac through the Epic Games Store. One year after release, we'll be able to distribute the game through other third-party stores, such as Steam and GOG.com. All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period.

https://phoenixpoint.info/epicfaq?_ga=2.125820042.1898538789.1552414257-1678385940.1552414257

Thats not what they said directly on twitter and etc.

So they are now reacting to the massive backlash, cause they probably saw refunds coming in immediately.

There is a tweet from their offical twitter account, "you can only get it on the EGS when it launches, ther is no steam or GOG key"

Lots of anger in this thread. But honestly, why do you guys think the take a deal like this? Securing the company and thinking they will make more money, right? Why on earth would fig-backers not like this? Epic "moneyhatting" is them guaranteeing to sell x amount of copies and devs get paid for them day 1 so this should be part of revenue splitting?
because the backers gave their money with the promise that they would receive keys to their platform of choice. Now they're being told that they have to wait an extra year for that while the already finished product is availble on a storefront that didn't even exist when the campaign was active.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the whole "Don't worry you will still get your Steam/GOG IN ADDITION to your epic key" reeks of backtracking.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've put my refund request in already and presumably can't cancel it.

Can't say I'm mad frankly, fuck them.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That basically confirms is the deal with Epic that prevents them to honour backers their Steam keys before the 1 year deal.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
If they're already backtracking, there might be a chance they will offer steam- and gog keys for backers afterall.
I'm gonna wait a few days before setting up a refund order, as i have the very generous timeframe of 28 entire days afterall.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
"All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period. "

Looks like this just got added to FAQ. But you'll probably be apple to get for cheaper then, so seems to better take money and run.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder: there's going to be an AMA tomorrow about this deal at /r/PhoenixPoint. Bring popcorn, it's going to be a mess.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Does this mean you get an egs key now and another steam key in a year, or you can elect to get the steam key in a year?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
"All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period. "

Looks like this just got added to FAQ. But you'll probably be apple to get for cheaper then, so seems to better take money and run.
Yeah, it's probably better to refund it now, and just wait until it's cheap.

They used backers like an interest free loan. Backers should do the same.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, gotta wait another year to get my Steam or GOG key.

Nah, if I had backed the game, I would still ask for a refund. Then going to wait when it is 75% discounted or more in either Steam or GOG.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Walking back on the initial announcement still doesn't change the absolute dodgy website they link to for "refunds" (if they'll actually happen), and I'm starting to find that a whole lot more questionable than this current situation.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That's absolutely bullshit, Advertising that your game will be on gog and steam with a crowdfunding campaign than get moneyhatted from epic game store. I hope it loses any goodwill it has. I hope we don't hear them complaining about sales.

Yea, anyone thinking this is a good direction in how Epic is handling the store is sadly mistaken. There is a much better way to do this.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean you get an egs key now and another steam key in a year, or you can elect to get the steam key in a year?
Judging by the wording of FAQ, you'll get both. However, considering this is a pretty hasty backtrack (announcement video was posted here two and a half hours ago), don't take it as a guarantee.