• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'll give them credit for the Arkham knight on EGS, it doesn't have denuvo while the steam version still does.

Although you can just swap out the exe from EGS with the steam one and you know yeah.. lol not have denuvo on the steam one anymore

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Or you could condemn them for not bothering with the simple task of putting a denuvoless binary on Steam?

This is the reverse situation of what happens to gog, where they leave the drmless versions of games to rot without updates.
I mean it's been almost 5 years since its launch on steam
I don't care that much

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Got through Alan Wake and American Nightmare the past couple days. American Nightmare performed a lot better but oddly really pushed my GPU. Ended up lowering the graphics from High to Low and... It looked exactly the same to me but wasn't making my 750 TI blow it's brains out.

Good games! Control is a definite improvement in writing/performances, though.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
7xMVPau.png

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Indivisible's regional pricing in Malaysia sucks. I can get it cheaper at Gamersgate UK.

But!

I know Valve changed their key activation system recently and mostly disallowed activation via VPNs. Going by the game's SteamDB page, I believe I can activate a UK key anywhere in the world though, right?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Hello I have a random question. I am replacing my current laptop and I have a pretty small budget, but I found a refurbished Dell laptop and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be able to play things like WoW classic, Diablo 3 and LoL on the lowest settings and still get a steady framerate. I have absolutely no idea how to tell if it can do any of that though. My friends say that it can, but I wanna be double triple sure before I spend the $400.

Here is the link to the laptop, but just so everyone knows I am NOT buying this as a gaming computer. I just wanna know if I will be able to casually play a few things on it occasionally with acceptable performance on low settings.

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question. I just wanted to avoid making my own thread about it since its such a simple question, but I am too technically challenged to answer it lol

You're fine. The CPU isn't half bad as far as older ones go, and the Quadro K2100M ~ GeForce GTX 750M ~ GT 640, the last of which manages an average of roughly 50fps at 1080p + max settings in Diablo 3:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS83LzUvMzM5ODA5L29yaWdpbmFsL0RpYWJsbzMtMTkyMC5wbmc=

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You're fine. The CPU isn't half bad as far as older ones go, and the Quadro K2100M ~ GeForce GTX 750M ~ GT 640, the last of which manages an average of roughly 50fps at 1080p + max settings in Diablo 3:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS83LzUvMzM5ODA5L29yaWdpbmFsL0RpYWJsbzMtMTkyMC5wbmc=
Oh wow that's way better than what i was expecting. I would have been happy with a steady 30fps on the lowest settings lol

And i appreciate the help. I am a console gamer and never had a gaming PC in my life. Just used whatever laptop i had to place a game here or there. So I had no idea how to tell how capable the computer was.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Well, Indivisible's regional pricing in Malaysia sucks. I can get it cheaper at Gamersgate UK.

But!

I know Valve changed their key activation system recently and mostly disallowed activation via VPNs. Going by the game's SteamDB page, I believe I can activate a UK key anywhere in the world though, right?

Yeah.

Oh wow that's way better than what i was expecting. I would have been happy with a steady 30fps on the lowest settings lol

And i appreciate the help. I am a console gamer and never had a gaming PC in my life. Just used whatever laptop i had to place a game here or there. So I had no idea how to tell how capable the computer was.

No worries. :)

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
It's only beta, but GOG galaxy 2 still lacks that quick lunch context menu, like when you right click the tray icon and it shows you a short list of your most recently played games. Even Playnite have it. It's one of those features I really appreciate.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Hello I have a random question. I am replacing my current laptop and I have a pretty small budget, but I found a refurbished Dell laptop and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be able to play things like WoW classic, Diablo 3 and LoL on the lowest settings and still get a steady framerate. I have absolutely no idea how to tell if it can do any of that though. My friends say that it can, but I wanna be double triple sure before I spend the $400.

Here is the link to the laptop, but just so everyone knows I am NOT buying this as a gaming computer. I just wanna know if I will be able to casually play a few things on it occasionally with acceptable performance on low settings.

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question. I just wanted to avoid making my own thread about it since its such a simple question, but I am too technically challenged to answer it lol
You might want to take a look in the gaming laptop thread. I know you said it's not for gaming but people there might be able to make alternative recommendations regardless.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Today's lunchtime viewing, a look at how to make conversations as engaging as other types of gameplay, with special praise for how Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided and Life is Strange did it. Spoilers for those games and Mass Effect (you know exactly which part)

I'm very much in agreement with the idea that just putting points into speech or whatever to instantly win or skip parts of gameplay is pretty dull, and I'm glad that more modern titles are approaching conversations in a more developed way that actually allows for gameplay and meaning.

Late reply but I wanted to comment on this.
I stopped the video after his first example (New Vegas).
I'm so tired of people saying conversations and decision making in social interactions in a game isn't gameplay. Of course it's fucking gameplay... so in Planescape Torment you don't play a game? You don't tweak systems and strategize point distribution to win conflicts? You don't navigate through dialog options to choose the best approach? (Although here I'll grant that the highlighting of good/bad choices is pretty lousy game design, newer games like Witcher 3 and even Alpha Protocol do a much better job at making you THINK about what the best dialog is for each situation, not just picking the colored option).
His remark that during New Vegas' example peaceful solution you "simply press buttons... and you win", well you can also headshot Chavez from afar with a single button press (I did that on my playthrough).
Again, sorry for the late rant but this kind of thinking is really pervasive among gaming communities.
Gameplay is not just action sequences and shooting kneecaps.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Late reply but I wanted to comment on this.
I stopped the video after his first example (New Vegas).
I'm so tired of people saying conversations and decision making in social interactions in a game isn't gameplay. Of course it's fucking gameplay... so in Planescape Torment you don't play a game? You don't tweak systems and strategize point distribution to win conflicts? You don't navigate through dialog options to choose the best approach? (Although here I'll grant that the highlighting of good/bad choices is pretty lousy game design, newer games like Witcher 3 and even Alpha Protocol do a much better job at making you THINK about what the best dialog is for each situation, not just picking the colored option).
His remark that during New Vegas' example peaceful solution you "simply press buttons... and you win", well you can also headshot Chavez from afar with a single button press (I did that on my playthrough).
Again, sorry for the late rant but this kind of thinking is really pervasive among gaming communities.
Gameplay is not just action sequences and shooting kneecaps.

Putting points into speech and auto winning in conversations isn't very compelling gameplay, if it's gameplay at all. Planescape Torment has more advanced, complex conversations which is a step in the right direction. But to use your example with Chavez, you can indeed headshot him with a single button press. Or melee him. Or shoot him up close. Or throw grenades at him. There's far more options in combat than speech.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Dranakin Dranakin!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Dranakin said:
As a new PC gamer, trying out my first giveaway with a Steam key!

These are our awesome prizes:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that we are getting singleplayer Star Wars game in less than a two months and we only got one gameplay video that actually wasn't that impressive.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Putting points into speech and auto winning in conversations isn't very compelling gameplay, if it's gameplay at all. Planescape Torment has more advanced, complex conversations which is a step in the right direction. But to use your example with Chavez, you can indeed headshot him with a single button press. Or melee him. Or shoot him up close. Or throw grenades at him. There's far more options in combat than speech.

Eh, I would say it is compelling gameplay because it is a direct result of how you built/are building your character. It is a result of the gameplay that came before. If a character's particular skill is too low it is something that you miss or a conversation goes another way. If you make a high-charisma eloquent character in a RPG then choosing dialogue options is the gameplay you went for.
I agree that there should be more done to dialogues in videogames though I see the work more to be directed at the writing and dialogue trees. maybe even combine it with the exploring where you get more options because you know more about the game's world (some games do this).The Griftland example works for Griftlands. I honestly don't see it working for a RPG with a stronger focus on writing. Convincing a character at a critical story beat with a mini game where your character says "consider this" while activating a trap card would be counterproductive imo.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
While that's not the way the author of the video wants to play games, he makes a lot of presumptions by simplifying it down to "skipping gameplay". What makes many of Fallout: New Vegas' "skipping" fun is that agency over events is based on how you've developed your character. Not everyone with 100 speech will pick speech 100% of the time. You don't have to just because you can. Just like you don't need to pull out a mini-nuke on any random bandit. It's just one of the options you have, because over the course of the game you've probably specialized in few specific areas. To see those choices reflected in the gameplay (the agency I have as a player over what's happening in an interactive medium) is a lot more valuable to me than the four pre-defined choices like in DXHR, whereby it's often a crapshoot if it'll work at all. To me, more varied choices which include auto-win stat checks are more fun satisfying than shooting, grenading, sniping or dialog hedge mazes. A lot of these games where it happens aren't exactly Doom 2016 in the "gameplay " department to begin with. If I can avoid combat, that's a net win already.

Last edited:

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
And I agree with that, I didn't have issues with your post at all. My rant was 100% aimed at the video (its beginning anyway) and his postulate about what constitutes gameplay and what doesn't.
Even some old games where the systems relied on "speech" meters or alignment/faction scores you still had interesting developments, PST for example used them to open new branches of dialog which enriched your experience of the game (the same way your example of variety on how to kill someone achieved).
Putting points into charisma or speech often means you take points out from other places, which changes your game by limiting what you can do, and allows for interesting branching storylines, also enticing replayability.
Heck I remember doing Deus Ex "Let's kill everyone I can" walkthroughs back in the day. Let's not kill anyone can be pretty challenging as well and fits into that mentality.
It just sucks that some of the old games' developers didn't have entirely figured out how to make those aspects as engaging as shooting weapons, which is something gaming had much more experience in doing at the time.
I like to think those games were testing grounds of this idea of nuanced and non violent gameplay, and that developers were laying the foundation of what we have today.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to believe.

If it's true, then pirates would be already playing the game right now without having to worry about the DRM.
Pirates probably dont want to pay an upfront 60€ (to download the game) and later having to ask for a refund for it to work. Still, it has Denuvo, so it should have a way to block you from playing once your Denuvo access lapses, which I think is monthly? (unless somehow, denuvo servers dont check Steam / Epic ownership)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I posted it yesterday, but it somehow died a fast dead so a repost is important:
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/webapi/icloudservice

Steam now offers an easy API to have cross save cloud saves, which means we were right with the Larian stuff:

Provides access to a Steam user's Steam Cloud files. This is mostly intended to enable cross-platform saves for your game. The Steam version of the game can use the Steamworks Cloud features (either the ISteamRemoteStorage API, or Steam Auto-Cloud). Non-Steam versions can use this WebAPI to access the files and upload new versions.

Your game will need to obtain permission from the user to access their Steam Cloud files. This can be done via OAuth - you can read about the details for OAuth here. Note that you will most likely want to request both "read_cloud" and "write_cloud" permissions.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Pirates probably dont want to pay an upfront 60€ (to download the game) and later having to ask for a refund for it to work. Still, it has Denuvo, so it should have a way to block you from playing once your Denuvo access lapses, which I think is monthly? (unless somehow, denuvo servers dont check Steam / Epic ownership)
I was thinking about how people who have done that would simply upload the game to the Internet. Especially since the install directory and executable are still there.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But how does Denuvo check your license if you can just run the game from the executable without the EGS launcher?

I'm starting to really doubt that claim from Twitter.
Denuvo only checks rights every once in a while (that is what allows you to play Denuvo games offline after your first check in). Which is why I said:
"should have a way to block you from playing once your Denuvo access lapses, which I think is monthly?"
Edit:
From Segas Denuvo Q&A:

Will games with Denuvo require you to be always online?

No.
Games will require initial online authentication via Steam during installation. At this point Denuvo will also automatically authenticate.
You can then decide to play in offline mode if you wish.
Some games sometimes need to be always online, but this isn't a Denuvo requirement.

Which if I understand, means that when the game is installed, Steam / Epic verify the game. Having the files does not mean that the game is verified as the installation hasnt been verified.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Also, I posted it yesterday, but it somehow died a fast dead so a repost is important:
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/webapi/icloudservice

Steam now offers an easy API to have cross save cloud saves, which means we were right with the Larian stuff:

I actually reported your post in other thread asking mods to change title to confirmed and nobody did that. And thread died. But don't worry soon enough somebody will post thread on gaming side how Valve does nothing :D

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Denuvo only checks rights every once in a while (that is what allows you to play Denuvo games offline after your first check in). Which is why I said:
"should have a way to block you from playing once your Denuvo access lapses, which I think is monthly?"
Ah okay, I totally missed that part from your earlier post, I guess. That makes sense then.

I actually reported your post in other thread asking mods to change title to confirmed and nobody did that. And thread died. But don't worry soon enough somebody will post thread on gaming side how Valve does nothing :D
Lemme find the thread and I'll bump it.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

If it's true, then pirates would be already playing the game right now without having to worry about the DRM.

Game uses Denuvo. It will work until Denuvo deactivates. (hardware or windows change). Which also prevents sharing.

Pirates absolutely abuse this even with Steam (using cracked Steam client/api to bypass Steam DRM)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe BlueOdin can threadmark eonden 's post about the cloud stuff and then it can be like [confirmed: see threadmark] in the title. Alternatively, new news means new thread, right?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
It's only beta, but GOG galaxy 2 still lacks that quick lunch context menu, like when you right click the tray icon and it shows you a short list of your most recently played games. Even Playnite have it. It's one of those features I really appreciate.

I agree. It is one of the features which I use all the time on Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Want to get your Shenmue 3 Steam key?

YSnet (seemingly) lying through their teeth (again):

PC Option Revision

Please note the following revision concerning PC option availability.

In the previous Update On PC Version Rewards, the following option for the PC (Epic Games Store) version was announced:

"If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available."

As negotiations with Valve are ongoing, we are not able to make a firm commitment at this point concerning the availability of the Steam keys.

Requests for Steam keys will be accepted through the survey, however, there is the possibility that Steam keys will ultimately not be distributed depending on negotiations with Valve. An announcement will be posted in the updates with the outcome of the negotiations.

We apologize for this revision to the previously stated PC option.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Gog 2.0 has a feedback thin)forum with them actively begging for more feedback/input. I'll have to find where in the client it is to submit stuff but I know they said they were doing a lot of what was asked for by feedback

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Like Eonden posted it is currently possible but maybe in a months time that access will be revoked (or whenever Denuvo calls base). The problem is, if you were to firewall block Borderlands 3, which would remove multiplayer access yes, then Denuvo wouldn't be able to phone home. That is clearly stated in the offline mode section of Denuvo's FAQ so Denuvo themselves have a built in way of circumventing their DRM, at least from how I'm reading it. Even then we aren't sure whether EGS acts like Steam as at this moment that isn't the case because you can simply play it from the .exe without even having EGS installed.

Difference with Steam and Denuvo is the DRM protects Steam's own DRM as a wrapper around, hence why you need cracked .dll to pirate Steam games. This is all conjecture on my part though, I have literally no idea if it will be correct but going off current data it seems that indeed those who refund, or even just close EGS and play the game through its .exe, can indeed still play perfectly fine.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
One thing that is quite strange to see on this forum, at least from some people.

I remember when the EGS finally added cloud-saves a lot of people were: "Wow. Thats great! Battling with Valve!"

Now...

-New Steam library view
-New Steam Lab Update
-Literally an API for cross plattform cloud saves.

(Besides all that stuff from last year and beginning of this year like SteamLink Android etc.)

No big interest.

I mean a cross plattform cloud save API sounds like great news to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.