• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I need more than two buttons on a mouse? Convince me.

MelodicHatefulDungenesscrab-max-1mb.gif

Forward and back keys on a mouse are amazing for web browsing

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to shitting on Valve:

How likely is it that Jim Sterling makes a Video titled "EA endorses rape"? (in regards to EA backpaddling and adding rapist Ronaldo back on their promotional material)
I mean, he had no problem saying Valve endorses every game that is sold on Steam.

Lowest lying fruit with most sensationalist headline of the week usually gets the video. So probably. Steam trolling is just the shit he keeps in his back pocket for slow news weeks.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ok, you're all selling me on the idea of forward/back buttons, very interesting... so is there a setting in Firefox where I can bind 'go foward/backward to next tab' to mouse buttons or something? Do I need to dye my hair blonde, put on some rollerblades and 90s techno while I hack a mainframe to do this?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
your post is as stupid as "Why do I need more than 26 keys on a keyboard? Convince me"

But not as flagrantly rude as your reply, to be sure.

Well everyone (else), you've convinced me to look for a mouse with more than two buttons, yay. I don't really play FPS games on PC, but I'm more interested in having a smoother browsing experience, so more efficient tab switching, screenshots and such will be nice.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
But not as flagrantly rude as your reply, to be sure.

Well everyone (else), you've convinced me to look for a mouse with more than two buttons, yay. I don't really play FPS games on PC, but I'm more interested in having a smoother browsing experience, so more efficient tab switching, screenshots and such will be nice.
Aside from general browsing, having an extra two keys on hand is also very helpful in some games. Warframe, for instance, is a completely different experience with dash and crouch (IIRC) bound to mouse 4/5. A lot of the awkward shift / alt / ctrl bindings can generally be better served on mouse 4 or 5.

Of course... not every game lets you rebind keys. Bad ports are always a bummer like that.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Aside from general browsing, having an extra two keys on hand is also very helpful in some games. Warframe, for instance, is a completely different experience with dash and crouch (IIRC) bound to mouse 4/5. A lot of the awkward shift / alt / ctrl bindings can generally be better served on mouse 4 or 5.

Of course... not every game lets you rebind keys. Bad ports are always a bummer like that.

Thanks, is there a particular brand of mouse you'd recommend?

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Seeing how I now have a bit of money and Black Friday is like 2 months away or so, I wonder if I can get a good deal on something like a GTX 1070. I'm still using a GTX 660 and I want to upgrade, I would still be using a small TV that is only able to do 1360x768 but I do plan to get a 1080p monitor or possibly even a 1440p one.

I kind of want to get the RTX 2070 even though it's expensive since it sounds like the DLSS feature of it does show promise.

For $300-400 would what be a decent card now (I saw that since these cards may drop like 50-70 during Black Friday/Cyber Monday), for some reason I favor EVGA stuff

I want something that is VR ready, that is able to do at least 1440p at 60fps, and where I would have no issues with VRAM and being able to use higher texture qualities (i heard that Capcom is listening to people and the next big MHW update on PC will fix the texture issue) without having to worry about things like to much pop-in.

Being able to use some of the higher end AA options would be nice since I do have to make compromises with my current set up and thus I'm left with jaggies

Later on I will look into a monitor that has a high refresh rate, high resolution and that is decently priced possibly a 27" display

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It is godsend for competitive multiplayer Games.

When you are playing a shooter, strafing left and right, shooting up and down, you don't want to fiddle with the grenade key on your keyboard. So MB4 for utility/grenades is the best.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, is there a particular brand of mouse you'd recommend?
Not really.

I just use a silly gaming mouse, a Logitech G502. It is a 5-button mouse, with a vertical/horizontal mouse wheel, 4 configurable mouse speed settings (also handy in certain games), custom weighting (just put them all in, IDK), and configurable glowiness!

Apparently there's multiple G502s out there, so I'm not sure which mine is. It's older and wasn't terribly expensive--the main reason I went for it.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Why do I need more than a 1360x768 TN display, ERA?
samsung-s19f350-185-inch-led-monitor.jpg.png

Convince me

That's how I game and there is nothing wrong with it, the I my thing that bothers me (and I'm guessing this is a my display only type of thing) is that the colors are not always accurate and when ever I try to play a video and it fades to back I always see this pixelized background that makes me which I had an OLED with HDR Instead since I know the difference between the two and it's night and day.

Resolution wise you will run into trouble not ever game supports that resolution I know that I had a big issue with ACU because the game would not boot up because of my resolution (I had to mess with the ini file to get the game to boot up at 1080p and then change it back the first time for the game to even work). You will be a lot better with at either 720p or 1080p because that resolution is somewhat hard to work with in general

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Not really.

I just use a silly gaming mouse, a Logitech G502. It is a 5-button mouse, with a vertical/horizontal mouse wheel, 4 configurable mouse speed settings (also handy in certain games), custom weighting (just put them all in, IDK), and configurable glowiness!

Apparently there's multiple G502s out there, so I'm not sure which mine is. It's older and wasn't terribly expensive--the main reason I went for it.

LOL, that mouse looks like a Wipeout racing vehicle! I want it! (yes everyone, I know I sound like a noob, I haven't been PC gaming in decades)

high_resolution_logitech-g502-hero-left-profile-edited-100770385-large.jpg

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The true life changer.

That and clicking on links to open them in a new tab.

And closing tabs.
Seriously, I only discovered the awesomeness of the middle mouse button 9 years ago when my co-worker did it on his screen. I felt like I lost tons of street cred before that.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I have a mouse with a bunch of extra buttons and I still only use left/right click and mouse wheel.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My newer mouse is Logitech's wireless G403 and it's fine, but I wish I had waited for either the G603 or G305 since they take AA's. I absolutely hate charging it through the wire.
My couch mouse is an older Logitech's M510 but some of the side buttons don't work so great anymore. Maybe I should open it up and clean it, could help, who knows.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a way to show laptop battery status indicator on Steam while using BPM overlay?
The old one has one, am I missing some option in BPM config?

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Given the release of the RTX cards, what do you think a good deal would be for a Vega 64? I've got a fury x and I wanna upgrade for bfv but keep my freesync monitor

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me it has touch and you can scroll by swiping on it? The only thing more miserable than not having side buttons, would be the lack of a scroll wheel.
Yeah, it's the Apple touch mouse. It takes some getting used to ergonomically because it's so flat but it's fun to use. I like the two-finger swipe in particular to quickly flip through virtual desktops.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"takes some getting used to ergonomically because it's so flat" is an understatement in my experience. I found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I might have to take my G500s apart to see if I can fix this wheel :( I love this mouse. I should have bought two.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I heard that these things are good and can be very comfortable:

8647000-6.jpg

8636601-2.jpg

logitech_910_005447_mx_vertical_advanced_ergonomic_1431406.jpg

Anyone tried these vertical, ergonomic mouses?

Oct 28, 2017
71GnTzizJjL._SX355_.jpg

Logitech's G602 is stylish, and extremely competent for a wireless mouse which can be had for like $30 on Amazon. Comfortable grip, adjustable DPI, lag-free, and the 6 buttons on the side are great to map for like grenades, quick access to weapons, or whatever other prompts you might want to free from your left hand. Makes a lot of games feel much more natural.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Why do I need more than two buttons on a mouse? Convince me.

MelodicHatefulDungenesscrab-max-1mb.gif
I have a mouse with 2 additional buttons on the left side. One for making screenshots, second to enter photo mode if the game has it. Helps a lot when you trying to catch the right moment in action games:
2A8FD4B925244FCC4D7448DCE7D3A9A5F6B00DBB

...But yeah, that's probably just me and most people would be fine with only 2 buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.