Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Does Rise of the Tomb Raider (EGS version) have some weird performance issues or is it just me? It randomly locks the fps to 30fps and goes back up again later.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
are you using double buffered vsync? that can cause it. use triple buffered. I think rise had both.

Yeah I was using double buffering, will change to triple buffering. Thanks.

I'll need to look into the different vsync options, there are still some stuff I don't know about.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017

Just checked a bunch of reviews, game received really good scores basically everywhere, I might need to buy it now. I finished Dune pretty much, so I got time for a new game....on the other hand I wasn't happy with any XCOM like game so far, not even Gears Tactics or Phoenix Point.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard of any of these before, but they look interesting. Do you have one you recommend starting with?

ebi-hime has written a range of VNs so where to start may depend on what style you're most interested in. For something more on the cute side of recommend Blackberry Honey for a kinetic story or Strawberry Vinegar if you're looking for one with choices and multiple endings. Of her darker and somewhat disturbing stories there's Sweetest Monster for kinetic and The Way We All Go as a branching story.

There are also a few free ebi-himes VNs you could check out first with Once on a Windswept Night, Six Days of Snow, and Lynne.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
ebi-hime has written a range of VNs so where to start may depend on what style you're most interested in. For something more on the cute side of recommend Blackberry Honey for a kinetic story or Strawberry Vinegar if you're looking for one with choices and multiple endings. Of her darker and somewhat disturbing stories there's Sweetest Monster for kinetic and The Way We All Go as a branching story.

There are also a few free ebi-himes VNs you could check out first with Once on a Windswept Night, Six Days of Snow, and Lynne.
That's cool that they have such a variety! I appreciate you taking the time to reply and even link to everything :)

I like dark stories, so I think I'll start with The Way We All Go and Sweetest Monster, but I'll check out the free ones too.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked a bunch of reviews, game received really good scores basically everywhere, I might need to buy it now. I finished Dune pretty much, so I got time for a new game....on the other hand I wasn't happy with any XCOM like game so far, not even Gears Tactics or Phoenix Point.

www.resetera.com

TROUBLESHOOTER: The anime XCOM I never knew I wanted

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco Troubleshooter. It's anime-XCOM w/ FFT character building & VN storytelling. And it's legit dreamy. Another indie out of Korea that just went 1.0 a few weeks back, it's...

Have you considered Troubleshooter?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017

www.resetera.com

TROUBLESHOOTER: The anime XCOM I never knew I wanted

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco Troubleshooter. It's anime-XCOM w/ FFT character building & VN storytelling. And it's legit dreamy. Another indie out of Korea that just went 1.0 a few weeks back, it's...

Have you considered Troubleshooter?

Thanks, will put in on my wishlist and maybe watch some videos.

Fusi

Sep 26, 2021
Just finished DmC, pretty nice game, i see why people complained about it being a Devil May Cry game but i think if you play it while seeing it as a "stand alone" it can be fun.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This is good bundle

x1SLFW2.png

www.humblebundle.com

Game Over, T1D: Games with Links to the Diabetes Community

We’ve teamed up with JDRF and gamemakers for a bundle to help cure type 1 diabetes! Get Super Meat Boy Forever, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Sam & Max Save the World, and more.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Out now, also on GOG

Played the demo (no longer available, apparently). It's a cute diablo with guns. A tad soul-ish, you keep running the same (procedural) level to earn currency and unlock better guns. there's a dash move to help you avoid projectiles, which comes in especially handy for the bosses.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was using double buffering, will change to triple buffering. Thanks.

I'll need to look into the different vsync options, there are still some stuff I don't know about.

If you usually want v-sync turned on, just force it on in your GPU driver, that way the implementation will at least be consistent across titles

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be anything related to their download servers since you can still connect to the store and friend list stuff.

Edit: And it's fixed

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
started playing Eldest Souls (it got a big free expansion recently) and fuck me, this is hard, but it's that "one more try" hard, the fun hard.

but damn it's hard lol >_<

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Being an AEW fan who has no interest in wrestling games as opposed to their actual competitive fighting game counterparts, Street Fighter/Guilty Gear, it pains for me to say this....

AEW ought to cut their losses if they can't produce something up their own standards. There's a sizable chunk of their performers who are very into games themselves, so it might be tough to play/promote stuff that didn't turn out well.

That being said, I would be glad to eat crow, purchase the game on Day 1, and enjoy it tremendously.

Oct 25, 2017
With several Tomb Raider threads popping up recently I'm suddenly wondering if the Underworld dlc will still make it to pc. Haven't heard anything about it for a while. Come to think of it, Soul Reaver has been gone from the steam store for a good while now. Hopefully the sale won't affect the work on either of these.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know where else to ask this lol

Im an educator but i want to make my own games like this:

Timeforpayback.com

What program should i learn?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing multiple punishing PC shooters but The Cleaner looks gooood and it's out today.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I feel like we should have more info on Starfield by now.
This is most likely when the big info blowout is gonna happen.
news.xbox.com

Join Us Sunday, June 12 for the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase - Xbox Wire

Today, we are excited to announce that the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will stream on Sunday, June 12 at 10 a.m. PT. This show will feature amazing titles coming from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and our partners around the world. The Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will include everything you...

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I didn't realize Makai Kingdom and ZHP were coming out in a few days, so they just got moved to the top of my list for this month.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
If you like western SRPGs in the spirit of XCOM/2 and Gears Tactics and you enjoy / can stomach Warhammer 40K then I am here to shill you the just released reincarnation of Chaos Gate, named Daemonhunters.

Do you know how people often complain about cheap 40K games and how they miss Dawn of Wars and THQ's Space Marine? Are you one of those people? Well good because this new Chaos Gate isn't cheap at all and indeed it has great production values. Full in-engine cutscenes, cinematic story, good voice acting featuring Andy Serkis, high levels of polish. The game has a somewhat unique art direction so YMMV here. I think the overall presentation is fantastic.

The gameplay is the biggest surprise and a delight and I can only echo the praises sung in the PC Gamer's review.

The battles are XCOM x Gears x Phoenix Point. From XCOM you get the square grid, the way cover works, destructible map, armor, the way enemy pods behave, weapon ammo and the UI. From Gears you get their overwatch and fancy executions that can regenerate actions. From Phoenix Point you get (sorta) more granular APs and (also sorta) precise targetting and limb destruction. The game has its own ideas too: you can topple shit on the baddies (nothing kills a heretic quicker than the Emperor's statue falling on their face), yeet people over edges of the map, AP refunds if you pull a pod while exploring (THANK GOD) and there's a Warp mechanic which is a nifty push your luck system.

The strategy layer of Chaos Gate does not disappoint. XCOM is the blueprint again, you can build shit and upgrade your ship, research and dissect enemies, equip and customize your knights and you even get an equivalent of the council debriefing on regular intervals. This is mixed with a Pandemic type of system where Nurgle's corruption spreads around the map and you play the ever-escalating game of whack-a-mole, trying to keep things in check. It is excellent.

So if are an SRPG enjoyer like me then the game is an easy recommendation. It's not perfect, the performance especially is shit (hello Unity engine) and there are other nitpicks but it's not a big deal. Just get it!

PS. And if you are hungry for more SRPGs or just can't stand grimdark in general then check out the just released King Arthur: Knight's Tale from Neocore. It's not as bombastic as Chaos Gate but it is a great game as well!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Chaos Gate does look really good.

Grey Knights though...

-

In other news, LudoNarraCon is on again, loads of demos for narrative games.

store.steampowered.com

LudoNarraCon 2024

Global Digital Festival for Narrative Games: May 9 - 13 — FREE for anyone on Steam!

Oct 25, 2017
In the mood for persona 4. I have golden on my vita but kinda tempted to get it on Pc. I know it's higher res and 60fps etc but does it run okay? Some reviews talked about Denuvo being annoying. A game that slow paced would be okay to play on my iPhone with the backbone via streaming too.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
In the mood for persona 4. I have golden on my vita but kinda tempted to get it on Pc. I know it's higher res and 60fps etc but does it run okay? Some reviews talked about Denuvo being annoying. A game that slow paced would be okay to play on my iPhone with the backbone via streaming too.

Runs fine, it's incredibly undemanding on your hardware, so any Denuvo overhead (which shouldn't be there!) will be of minimal impact to your gaming experience. As long as your PC isn't from the early 2000s and connects to the internet every month it'll be fine.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The unreal engine 4 stutter is really severe in Trek to Yomi.

Really noticable given the perspective and how the camera shifts. Devs have to start doing something about this shit

Status
Not open for further replies.