• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2019
Just buy it and refund it if it doesn't run / you hate it, don't do that tired ass "I pirate games to test how they run" shit that nobody believes. Hasn't the game been on sale multiple times anyway at this point? Istheranydeal lists at has having effectively been 40 dollars for nearly all of January.

Well, this is like the discussion on emulation, it's up to you to believe or not in people's good faith (And people here LOVE to believe in people's good faith when it comes to emulation)

I know I don't like to pirate games, but I also don't like to buy blind, unless I have complete trust on the series, and i don't trust refund policies at all.

I'm not saying I'm going to do it though. First of all, I'm waiting for a spring or summer sale

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Yeah, I think the main problem is that in gaming we are used to considering a platform as the combination of Software(for gmaing) + Hardware while on PC, the same hardware has many different small software platforms that act as different ecosystems. So for people outside of PC, they dont understand the difference.

There was this interview of Gabe in Edge. I am not sure whether I understood what he wanted to say, and I guess people will be able to interpret stuff at will.

Two interesting things though:
  1. he refers to PC as "the PC platform",
  2. he talks about competition, and only names Apple as an example of people precluding competition. I don't know if you think that he is targetting Epic with the last paragraph, but I don't see a reason why he would avoid naming them if that were the case. It looks to me that Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney have a similar issue with Apple, but not so much with each other's store.

Plus, if you think about it:
  • there are currently games which are being simultaneously sold on both EGS and Steam,
  • the very few timed-exclusive games appear a few months later (a year at max) on Steam, so the two stores are set on equal footing at some point.
  • if the goal were to preclude store competition, there would be i) only permanently exclusive games, and ii) no point to lower the cut store-wide.
For instance, I cannot play A Way Out (released in 2018), or Unravel (released in 2016), or The Saboteur (released in 2009) on Steam in 2020. However, I could play Ori and the Will of the Wisps on day one on PC Game Pass or Steam. I could also play Throne-breaker on day one on GOG, or a month later on Steam. I can play Hades on Steam right now. I like what Microsoft is doing, I accept that one-month timed-exclusivity for CDPR's first-party game (although it was a mistake, revenue-wise), I can endure EGS's timed-exclusivities on a few third-party games, but I am upset that I must use a specific service to play a game released more than 10 years ago.

It will be interesting to see the direction taken by Epic as a publisher. I hope they go the way of Microsoft and CDPR, rather than EA.

IHA3LTi.jpg

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Aaron D. It looks like that Nvidia hotfix driver solved the issue with AC Odyssey and Steam. Tnx for that once again.

Now that i am stuck at home and work is on the lower side i am looking to thin my backlog again. But issue is that my old SSD is just 250GB so i have issues with managing games XD I know that i missed opportunity to get SSD during Christmas and then i missed opportunity to get one before this pandemic. I was thinking to order one now but it is from New York so that presents various other issues XD

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to have the "ignore" function automatically hide every post with the word "competition" in it? That would have been appreciated these last few pages.

At least the remake/upgrade/whatever of Nier is good (although it has another SQEXtm stupid title).
People saying the combat was shit in that game probably refer to the fact the PS3 barely hold on to 20 FPS. It's going to be a new experience at 60. The game is never going to be Sekiro, but it's not like Automata was a great action game anyway.
Hopefully the port is not too far away, and Toylogic understands what a port to PC requires. Especially since SQEX is unlikely to fund even the smallest corrective patch after they've run away with the money...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There was this interview of Gabe in Edge. I am not sure whether I understood what he wanted to say, and I guess people will be able to interpret stuff at will.

2. he talks about competition, and only names Apple as an example of people precluding competition. I don't know if you think that he is targetting Epic with the last paragraph, but I don't see a reason why he would avoid naming them if that were the case. It looks to me that Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney have a similar issue with Apple, but not so much with each other's store.

• there are currently games which are being simultaneously sold on both EGS and Steam,
  • the very few timed-exclusive games appear a few months later (a year at max) on Steam, so the two stores are set on equal footing at some point.
  • if the goal were to preclude store competition, there would be i) only permanently exclusive games, and ii) no point to lower the cut store-wide.
For instance, I cannot play A Way Out (released in 2018), or Unravel (released in 2016), or The Saboteur (released in 2009) on Steam in 2020. However, I could play Ori and the Will of the Wisps on day one on PC Game Pass or Steam. I could also play Throne-breaker on day one on GOG, or a month later on Steam. I can play Hades on Steam right now. I like what Microsoft is doing, I accept that one-month timed-exclusivity for CDPR's first-party game (although it was a mistake, revenue-wise), I can endure EGS's timed-exclusivities on a few third-party games, but I am upset that I must use a specific service to play a game released more than 10 years ago.

It will be interesting to see the direction taken by Epic as a publisher. I hope they go the way of Microsoft and CDPR, rather than EA.

IHA3LTi.jpg

Good stuff. The part about software's value-added struck a chord in particular. Newell still gets what matters. Regardless of whether he's talking about Epic directly or not, it's relevant to them. It's exactly the issue many people have with Epic's service.

I think it would also be savvy of him not to call out Epic directly, knowing how toxic some people on the internet can get. Unlike certain other heads of major companies, he seems to be aware that adding more logs to the fire isn't good for anyone.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Newell has been pretty clear that piracy is a service issue and the push Steam has made in previously "pirate haven" markets has proven that those markets are receptive to buying games provided the price / service combinations is right.

Regarding the last part, I think he is calling Epic on that as well as other providers who dont want to improve their service (as Epic themselves said they dont see the need to improve service more than what hte current "normal" is (important to note the normal is more similar to uPlay than current EGS state)) but Valve in general really doesnt want to get into this kind of arguments.

About PC as a platform Wok as I said, Pc is a hardware platform that contains many software platforms. Which is the weird thing when compared to consoles.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up, as I owned a lot of it already I got Blade Strangers and Crystal Crisis for £5 which was nice
store.steampowered.com

Steam Store

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017

IHA3LTi.jpg
EA did claim they were bringing more of their games back to Steam this year in the Jedi Fallen Order press release. They recently finished updating the grid art on a lot of their existing catalog and I was hoping that indicated the back missing games were going to start dropping soon, but still nothing 😔

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see..

- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion app
- Xbox beta
- Xbox Game Bar
and the upcoming xCloud app

Also: the Xbox Accessories app.

I guess their approach is that you install what you need app by app rather than keeping most of it centralized. I don't mind mind all that much, but I would like it if the companion app's achievement data was also in the Xbox (beta) app.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
About PC as a platform @Wok as I said, Pc is a hardware platform that contains many software platforms. Which is the weird thing when compared to consoles.

That is your terminology: "hardware platform", "software platform".
I don't know if Gabe would agree, or if these are the right words. It depends on the concepts which you put behind.

Personally, I see PC/Windows as the platform, and stores as download services at worst (the old GOG, EGS), ecosystems at best (the new GOG, Steam). For instance, GOG 2.0 made the transition from download service (I think the downloader has been discontinued ; there used to be one per game) into ecosystem (with friend's activity, achievements, etc.), but it would be weird to call it a platform: it is one of several available services on a platform.

That being said, I agree that the co-existence of services on PC is what sets PC apart from consoles. And that is a good thing: it is a really weird thing to let a hardware manufacturer decide what should or should not run on its hardware. It reminds me that Sony released a Linux-based operating system for the PS2. In a perfect world, this should be the norm for consoles.

6QUQe7r.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA did claim they were bringing more of their games back to Steam this year in the Jedi Fallen Order press release. They recently finished updating the grid art on a lot of their existing catalog and I was hoping that indicated the back missing games were going to start dropping soon, but still nothing 😔
If they don't bring The Sims 4 quickly to Steam, Paradox is going to release their own and eat all their money (and mindshare) like they did with Sim City.

Jun 2, 2019
Super good controller! Basically like a XInput DS4 without the touchpad.
The battery solution is so good. Starting in different modes is easy and it remembers each sync separately.

Yeah, i have the SN30 pro (No handles) and it works the same. I was going to get a DS4 in fact, but being able to use it both on PC and Switch without having to pair it again every single time is a huge selling point (Game my Switch pro controller to my elder sister since she's comfortable with it, so i needed a replacement, and the SN30 pro doesn't cut it for 3D games due to the lack of grip)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I still maintain EA is getting all its ducks in a row before flipping the switch on anything so it can do a giant publisher sale alongside the launch of EA Access.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Nier on PC is certainly cool, though I've read certain sections of the gameplay are pretty annoying

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain EA is getting all its ducks in a row before flipping the switch on anything so it can do a giant publisher sale alongside the launch of EA Access.
My guess is they want to make sure EA Access looks like the better value over buying the games, so adding all of them at the same time will make it so less people buy the games and more buy the subscription.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is like the discussion on emulation, it's up to you to believe or not in people's good faith (And people here LOVE to believe in people's good faith when it comes to emulation)

I know I don't like to pirate games, but I also don't like to buy blind, unless I have complete trust on the series, and i don't trust refund policies at all.

I'm not saying I'm going to do it though. First of all, I'm waiting for a spring or summer sale
How is promoting and admitting to pirating games the same as emulation?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is they want to make sure EA Access looks like the better value over buying the games, so adding all of them at the same time will make it so less people buy the games and more buy the subscription.

Speaking of making your product look better, those € prices for MS games have to be a way to prop up gamepass right? Lol >_<

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of making your product look better, those € prices for MS games have to be a way to prop up gamepass right? Lol >_<
Part of the price in € is that they are play anywhere so once you buy on PC you also can play them on console where they sell it for that price. Still yeah, the price in € of most of their games is YIKES.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
6 gifts from Santos

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 6 gifts from Santos Santos!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Santos said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode - Won by Dinjoralo Dinjoralo (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Resident Evil 0 HD REMASTER - Won by Blade30 Blade30 (3 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Resident Evil Revelations - Won by 708 708 (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (AKABestGameofLastGen) - Won by Teeth Teeth (8 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Resident Evil HD REMASTER - Won by Jadax Jadax (5 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Dead Rising 4 - Won by Igniz12 Igniz12 (5 entries)

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda do and do not want to weigh in on EGS every time it is brought up. I hate that it cannot be talked about civilly without the bs on the side like talk of bans, someone called another an asshole here to piss people off, accusations of being called a steam fanboy. I think it is silly how divisive EGS is, but at least we could show each other a little more respect and if you get offended maybe don't fire shots back because that only escalates. Maybe try an approach that does not escalate.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Hey everyone,
I hope this is s good thread to ask in, but I was wondering if I could pick your brains.

I've got an old turtle beach x51 headset that has a usb & a 1/4 connection. I love being able to adjust game and chat volume independently on the fly.

Is there any (preferably simple) way to get this functionality with superior mic and headphones? I have some nice cans and mics for music/voice recording, plus a 8ch USB mixer and a 2ch interface. My keyboard has spare macro buttons if that helps...Is this a software trick or a hardware trick? If I can't do it that way, there's gotta be some kind of device that does the same thing for any mic/headphone, right?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That is your terminology: "hardware platform", "software platform".
I don't know if Gabe would agree, or if these are the right words. It depends on the concepts which you put behind.

Personally, I see PC/Windows as the platform, and stores as download services at worst (the old GOG, EGS), ecosystems at best (the new GOG, Steam). For instance, GOG 2.0 made the transition from download service (I think the downloader has been discontinued ; there used to be one per game) into ecosystem (with friend's activity, achievements, etc.), but it would be weird to call it a platform: it is one of several available services on a platform.

That being said, I agree that the co-existence of services on PC is what sets PC apart from consoles. And that is a good thing: it is a really weird thing to let a hardware manufacturer decide what should or should not run on its hardware. It reminds me that Sony released a Linux-based operating system for the PS2. In a perfect world, this should be the norm for consoles.

6QUQe7r.png

I'm not sure what it should be called, as it all seems to be semantics to me. Steam in particular does such a ridiculous amount, it seems reasonable to define it as a platfrom, as much as Xbox PC endeavours can fit under that banner. As far as Valve go, this is something they themselves do on their own site. On the Steam about page, they used to say "the ultimate online game platform" - but they don't have those words there anymore, other than in google search

nn7jYKs.jpg

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
That comes back around to the argument of it just being another icon on your PC to click on and how much the features on one storefront matter to you over an exclusivity.
How can you simply describe it as 'just another icon to click on' when it for most PC gamers who buy AAA or AA multiplat it offers the most rich and all-in-one PC features to use as compared to the rest of the competition out there.

The its just another icon or digital content platform thing can only be said when there are other platforms in proper competition with steam which offer the same appealing feature set and useability that steam does..not to mention its audience that buys games on it, dwarfs any other launcher/storefront on the PC.

The sole problem comes with epic making MULTIPLATFORM GAMES by third party pubs EXCLUSIVE to EGS and PC gamers not being able to play on any other PC platform or the PC digital platform that houses the MOST users that buy AAA or AA multiplats on PC.

Its really fucking easy to see why people complain about EGS to begin with and its also easy to see why people who keep saying the same 'its just a launcher or its just another icon' BS. Its ALL mostly due to epic paying devs and pubs to delay games on steam, which is considered by a lot of people as the defacto PC digital content platform that houses the most AAA or AA multiplats not to mention Indies and those people buy and play PC games on that. So its really easy to see people coming in huge droves and bitching about epic.

And the people who barely used steam or play only on console and come to shit up conversations in PC Era OR who use steam and game on PC but don't use those features and are in the minority, think that its the same for everyone to not use those features that are seen as incredibly helpful by most peeps using steam, they just come in and start dismissing concerns for the majority and sprout the 'its just another launcher or icon' nonesense when the issue is clearly the moneyhat of PC multiplats which SHOULD be playable by everyone on PC and no one company should pay to delay games being on the platform the majority us USE. It negatively disrupts the PC ecosystem which is PRO Choice and PRO options. Also the 'then just wait a year for the game to come to your platform' or 'you'e not forced to buy these games' excuses are thrown to dismiss concerns also when they're missing the main point and the main reason why PC gamers are up in arms over epic.
Clearly the bigger picture in which PC gaming is threatened by these 'exclusive moneyhats'.

Status
Not open for further replies.