• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Devil Haunts Me is out. It's free as well.

But once more the achievements won't count because Steam is still "learning" about the game. How long does this "learning" process take? There are VN's and other indie titles with hundreds of reviews from six+ months ago still being "learned" by Steam.

Does anyone understand the process?

Yeah, that system is really strange, especially the achievements a huge step back from consoles.

Also recently learned reviews don't "count" if you didn't buy directly from the (often overpriced) Steam store.

Steam was one of the reasons I didn't want to get into PC gaming and it remains a huge distraction for what could actually be a fun hobby otherwise...

"verifying log in data..."

"update required..."

"Denuvo implementation..."

A whole lot of things aren't so open on the this open platform after looking more closely....

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yeah, that system is really strange, especially the achievements a huge step back from consoles.

Ofc its part of Steams problem, but it was done because of devs releasing "122154125 achievements" games and by releasing shit games just to earn money with trading card economy.

While I think Valve could do much more to check it instead of relying on automated tools or users, shady devs kinda destroy the experience for other, honest devs.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone !

As far as what I'm looking for just something that is easy for someone with no RTS experience to get into.

Looks like my guess about Halo Wars is right on. So I'll try that first.

Then move on to some of your other suggestions.
That's why I was curious what you want to focus on more.
Do you like the spectacle of huge battles, then the Total War Series might be for you
If you just like to focus more on building your own base and economy and want something less combat focused Age of Empires II is your choice
And if you are more looking to play fun story missions Red Alert 2 or Starcraft II would be my recommendations.

I don't think any of those games (except maybe Total War) are pretty beginner friendly

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Steam was one of the reasons I didn't want to get into PC gaming and it remains a huge distraction for what could actually be a fun hobby otherwise...

"verifying log in data..."

"update required..."

"Denuvo implementation..."

Unfortunately, these issues are present in every launcher and even on console apart from Denuvo. Don't really get how that relates to Steam specifically.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
240 hz screen laptops
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/razer-blade-oled-ces-2019/
https://www.digit.in/laptops/ces-20...erium-65-monitor-with-g-sync-hdr-s-45669.html

This crazy ass shit
mothership_pr_lead.jpg

CES 2019 brought the goods

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, these issues are present in every launcher and even on console apart from Denuvo. Don't really get how that relates to Steam specifically.
Well, not really though, verifying log in data just because you go on a different section / tab or whatever isn't something that happens on consoles (happens all the time for me on Steam lately), you can very simply pause updates on consoles, there's even a button for it, the whole client seems just very amateurish to me with lots of little and big bugs and on the other hand, very heavy handed, for example I tried to trade some of those Steam cards for the first time, locked 15 days from trading because "this is a new system" well, I only changed my harddrive lol... (The Steam log in even knew my username magically, but it's totally a new system, alright)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some things they're trying (like controller support, friends list, etc) which they somewhat gotta do anyways being the biggest PC gaming client / store and the biggest competitors to console gaming as well. (technically they don't have to but I guess you know what I mean)

But if I would write up all the little and big things that are buggy, sometimes work, sometimes don't or are somehow otherwise a hindrance it would be a *veeerryy* long list...

I don't use any other launchers, GOG doesn't need one and that somehow feels better, even if it has less features (and therefore less bugs)

I really want to know why every time I exit a game on Steam there's this little blue spinning circle that won't go away... So annoying.
Just started happening one day and never fixed itself (even re installing Steam and changing harddrive didn't fix it)

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I really want to know why every time I exit a game on Steam there's this little blue spinning circle that won't go away... So annoying.
Just started happening one day and never fixed itself (even re installing Steam and changing harddrive didn't fix it)

I get that, i think its a Windows thing. Started happening after a Windows update. Tis annoying.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Nvidia announcing that they'll finally support FreeSync at CES, although only officially supported on 12 monitors. Other monitors adaptive sync will need to be enabled manually in the settings. About goddamn time.

EDIT: Only available on GTX10XX and RTX cards. WTF? Get screwed 980Ti owners.

I can't wait until 4K OLED TV's with VRR become affordable. Must be a dream to play on.

Anthem visually looks like what a next-gen Mass Effect game should have looked like. Damn, it looks good.

Probably won't be an interesting game though, but at least you'll be able to get it for $20 on eBay.
TBF Andromeda already looked amazing visually. But yeah, judging from the Alpha, Anthem is on a whole 'nother level. Bioware does great world-building.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, not really though, verifying log in data just because you go on a different section / tab or whatever isn't something that happens on consoles (happens all the time for me on Steam lately), you can very simply pause updates on consoles, there's even a button for it,

Steam has update scheduling: Settings > Downloads > "Only Update Games Between". Set it for some point when your system is off, or you're guaranteed to be away. Should cut down a lot on unwanted updates, and there's some other settings in the same tab that may be interesting to you, too. :)

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that, i think its a Windows thing. Started happening after a Windows update. Tis annoying.
Yeah, it does look like a windows thing, but the thing is it started happening after the last big Steam update (I think in November) there was no windows update, I have pro. ;)

Steam has update scheduling: Settings > Downloads > "Only Update Games Between". Set it for some point when your system is off, or you're guaranteed to be away. Should cut down a lot on unwanted updates, and there's some other settings in the same tab that may be interesting to you, too. :)

Right, well, my specific issue with that is that I sometimes don't want updates at all as they often make games run worse (despite claiming the opposite) on PS3 you can just outright decline any updates, on PS4 you can easily pause them.

There are ways around it on Steam as well, but a lot more tedious and it just doesn't sit right with me how they're trying to force updates (there is no option to decline whatsoever)

Theoretically, an easy solution for that would be having older game versions in the "beta" tab, but unfortunately most developers don't do this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, not really though, verifying log in data just because you go on a different section / tab or whatever isn't something that happens on consoles (happens all the time for me on Steam lately), you can very simply pause updates on consoles, there's even a button for it, the whole client seems just very amateurish to me with lots of little and big bugs and on the other hand, very heavy handed, for example I tried to trade some of those Steam cards for the first time, locked 15 days from trading because "this is a new system" well, I only changed my harddrive lol... (The Steam log in even knew my username magically, but it's totally a new system, alright)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some things they're trying (like controller support, friends list, etc) which they somewhat gotta do anyways being the biggest PC gaming client / store and the biggest competitors to console gaming as well. (technically they don't have to but I guess you know what I mean)

But if I would write up all the little and big things that are buggy, sometimes work, sometimes don't or are somehow otherwise a hindrance it would be a *veeerryy* long list...

I don't use any other launchers, GOG doesn't need one and that somehow feels better, even if it has less features (and therefore less bugs)

Thought you meant verifying game data on broken installs. What's verifying log data? I'm not sure I've encountered it. Some features are hit and miss, indeed. I did a clean install recently but thankfully didn't have to muck about with the trading block. Also, that spinning cursor/loading thing has been happening to me for months. Thought it was something on my end. SO annoying!

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Ah

At least you can use steam.

You should see my origin, it hasn't logged in at all even with uninstall & reinstall.

The other places that don't use launchers are also very very very few. Steam Controller API is great and dunno about being the biggest made them create it. They create a lot of opensource stuff.

Oddly I use Steam & GOG's client lol...though I dunno what happened with your lock because a couple months ago I got a new hard drive and never got a restriction. That usually only happens if an IP change, location change, or no previous log in information.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Verifying login data at random intervals only happens in the browser, not on the client.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I've been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance for the last few days, a few bugs here and there, nothing major - until today. The game fucking uninstalled itself from Steam! All original game files are still on my SSD, or at least they appear to be. I 'installed' the game again, launched from the old original file location and now I can't continue my save file because it's somehow missing DLC.

Meanwhile Steam wants to download the fucking game again. 50 gigs of bullshit.

I'm baffled. I'm gonna take a break. I love the game but this shit is something else. 16 hours of savegame just got Skalitzed
That's a new one lmao

Sucks if you'll lose your savegame but this reads hilarious, sorry.

Nvidia announcing that they'll finally support FreeSync at CES, although only officially supported on 12 monitors. Other monitors adaptive sync will need to be enabled manually in the settings. About goddamn time.

YES! Always though G-Sync monitors were a bit too expensive.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
About time NVIDIA supported freesync

Yeah. Also i was reading a thread about the next wave of LGs OLED TVs offering VRR which will be tempting for me as i use my TV as my gaming screen. Currently have an OLED and the picture is terrific. If they can offer reduced lag and GSync type tech i think ill bite.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Year started great, backlight on my LED TV is slowly dying XD Every few days you can see less and less on TV even though brightness is cranked up to max. Oh well it lasted almost 10 years so i really can't complain that much. Now i am tempted to get this

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Started The Division from scratch yesterday with a friend. I'm still not a huge fan of the cover-based shooting mechanics, but damn that games looks good!

Division was a huge surprise for me. I loved it , one of few games I finished the campaign in. Initially I was only interested due the the great concept UI and the UI they shipped. I always support good UI efforts so when those games do well I can justify to silly business people why it's important lol.
That's why I was curious what you want to focus on more.
Do you like the spectacle of huge battles, then the Total War Series might be for you
If you just like to focus more on building your own base and economy and want something less combat focused Age of Empires II is your choice
And if you are more looking to play fun story missions Red Alert 2 or Starcraft II would be my recommendations.

I don't think any of those games (except maybe Total War) are pretty beginner friendly

Yeah I have no idea what will hook me if anything so having a range options is the best for me. Gives me a reason to boot up things in my library and will be a great way to look at how UI is handled across a genre I'm not that familiar with.

I just sat with a friend this weekend who is considering working at Turn 10 and I not only walked her thru current versions of Motorsport and Horizon and gave some history based on my time at T10 but I also showed a range of other titles in that genre. I guess being a UI and UX person I'm used to wading in a kiddy pool of options moreso than taking a deep dive in one particular game or type.

I love my razer blade but I'm super concerned for the new ones if they haven't solved their heating issues.

I had mine repasted with high quality thermal paste, and run thru tests by a quality 3rd party seller. After that I undervolted to ensure my laptop wouldn't experience the many issues others had.

A lot of laptop manufacturers are throwing in some crazy stuff that can't really be used at it's full potential in thin cases without causing hardware damage.

I'm heading back to work this week. Just a bit devesated lol. I'll be around but mostly in lurk mode while I deal with the "omg it's a new year let's freak out about everything " crowd at work.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This week has been the most time I have put into Yakuza 0 since I got the game. Dedicating time into the property side quest actually allowed me to unlock the damn skill tree finally which made the combat more fun and kept me playing longer. Problem is I left it too late(chp 14) and now it seems I have run out of side quests to do. Even the arena I am at rank B and to get to A feels like a slog, I'll keep chipping away but I doubt I'll get to A rank before I am done with the game.

I wish I knew now back then about how important the property quest line was because the cost of skills is so high that it seems impossible to unlock anything past 400 million if you dont do it. Now I still have Majima left to unlock but his cabaret missions don't rake in as much and I really don't want to fucking do it either, its so boring compared to just idling time and just getting payed. Maybe the cabaret stuff get more interesting later on....hopefully. At least I can keep doing them and don't have to wait 5 mins every time .

This game can be such a grind.....

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Division was a huge surprise for me. I loved it , one of few games I finished the campaign in. Initially I was only interested due the the great concept UI and the UI they shipped. I always support good UI efforts so when those games do well I can justify to silly business people why it's important lol.

Haha sounds like self-preservation to me ^^

But yeah, the UI can make or break a game, and it's really well done in the division. And the presentation is great as well. For example in the beginning of the game you can customize your character while looking at his/her reflection in a car window. My complements to the person who designed this.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
This week has been the most time I have put into Yakuza 0 since I got the game. Dedicating time into the property side quest actually allowed me to unlock the damn skill tree finally which made the combat more fun and kept me playing longer. Problem is I left it too late(chp 14) and now it seems I have run out of side quests to do. Even the arena I am at rank B and to get to A feels like a slog, I'll keep chipping away but I doubt I'll get to A rank before I am done with the game.

I wish I knew now back then about how important the property quest line was because the cost of skills is so high that it seems impossible to unlock anything past 400 million if you dont do it. Now I still have Majima left to unlock but his cabaret missions don't rake in as much and I really don't want to fucking do it either, its so boring compared to just idling time and just getting payed. Maybe the cabaret stuff get more interesting later on....hopefully. At least I can keep doing them and don't have to wait 5 mins every time .

This game can be such a grind.....
I pretty much maxed out the property stuff as soon as I could, but even then I'd idle in the office and wait for the timers to tick over. I'd either walk away from the TV and be on the computer or I'd play Zelda while I waited (this was on ps4 and back when the switch launched).

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Either there is something hiddenn in the teases or they're implying it's actually not just catherine classic, although the former sounds more likely.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017

p stoked about this. i bought a 4K freesync monitor a month or so ago to replace my old 1080p secondary monitor. i'm glad i might be using it for more than just my consoles or browsing

it's nice to get some good news from nvidia considering how much of a bust their large gsync televisions are shaping up to be

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'll be honest, part of me only wants Atlus games on PC so we can bring the waifu wars to this thread.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hey guys, could use your opinion. Fanatical has this bundle finishing soon about their 2018 indie picks?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/staff-picks-2018

I already have Sexy Brutale, Tropico, and Grey Goo. What else do you recommend?

I was thinking Dex, Space Hulk, Metronomicon, and maybe two more?
Thanks for letting me know about this. I bought a bundle.

Actually... I bought three:

unknown.png

Basically everything I didn't already have or wasn't interested in.

But turns out I've had Monachroma since Nov '17 so I got a key for anyone interested.

Had no idea! I actually checked some of the other games like Dex and Beholder but I was sure I didn't have Monachroma as I had never heard of it.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Please reply if you take it.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for letting me know about this. I bought a bundle.

Actually... I bought three:

unknown.png

Basically everything I didn't already have or wasn't interested in.

But turns out I've had Monachroma since Nov '17 so I got a key for anyone interested.

Had no idea! I actually checked some of the other games like Dex and Beholder but I was sure I didn't have Monachroma as I had never heard of it.
[Hidden content]

Please reply if you take it.
Grabbed it, thank you!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Lol I've just noticed that Polygon has Fallout 76 and Sea of Thieves in their "best pc games of 2018" list. That site is such a joke...

GettyImages-673988278-6b2b1e1.jpg

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Playing a few games through Game Pass before mine expires and as it turns out the worst thing about W10 Store is that for whatever reason many titles on there lack the option to choose a language in game and just go by Windows' regional settings. I guess it's an official reccomendation or guideline from MS, so shame on them.

You liked Division's UI? Made me almost quit a couple of times, too many submenus, no way to get out of them and back into the game with one click, very confusing layout, inventory management was so annoying. Maybe works better with a pad but it isn't optimized for kbm at all.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Teasing an Epic Games Exclusive through all your steam community pages would be top tier shitbaggery.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much maxed out the property stuff as soon as I could, but even then I'd idle in the office and wait for the timers to tick over. I'd either walk away from the TV and be on the computer or I'd play Zelda while I waited (this was on ps4 and back when the switch launched).
Oh you can just stay in the office and wait it out? I figured the game would want me to do something in order to tick the time to payout. This helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.