• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Playing a few games through Game Pass before mine expires and as it turns out the worst thing about W10 Store is that for whatever reason many titles on there lack the option to choose a language in game and just go by Windows' regional settings. I guess it's an official reccomendation or guideline from MS, so shame on them.

It's how consoles are doing it as well. Microsofts goal is to bring the Xbox console experience to PC, so that's what you get.

But that's not the worst about the W10 Store. This is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe/comments/7z20p1/is_it_just_me_or_is_there_next_to_zero_modding/dukzjy8

That was 10 months ago, and of course the mod support never came. In fact the game was abandoned completely, filled with bugs but without promised features like modding and matchmaking.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
It's how consoles are doing it as well. Microsofts goal is to bring the Xbox console experience to PC, so that's what you get.

Don't own an X1 but this has never been a problem on my PS4 or Switch or anywhere else (well, in the old days sometimes you only got one language on the disc/cart to begin with), all games are English either because I can choose or because my system language is English. But Windows has those separate regional settings for keyboard layout and currency, which is fine and necessary until a game uses that and forces me to play in German.

No mods because of locked down files is terrible too of course and there's no way around it at all, just affects me personally less (also AoE isn't even in Game Pass and there's no chance I'm ever spending money for that).

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
+1 to the The Division love in this thread. I played it on PS4 quite a while after it came out, came with all the DLC on sale. I enjoyed it so much I got the platinum trophy. It might be my favourite MMO-ish experience to be honest. The world was immersive and compelling, the gameplay polished and fun, the matchmaking so so convenient and easy. Dark Zone was troll heaven. Survival DLC was amazing. I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, again much later in its life cycle once the game has been rebalanced, bugs have been squashed and it has lots of DLC.

Earlier in this thread I wrote my method of playing games, I think I'm gonna break it and play two strategy games in a row. Because despite playing Shogun 2 right now, I'm watching Lets Plays of Total War: Warhammer 1 and it looks real fun. Already got it in my library, so ready to boot it up after my first Shogun 2 campaign ends in disaster (fuck you Otomo, fuuuuck youuuu)

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Don't own an X1 but this has never been a problem on my PS4 or Switch or anywhere else (well, in the old days sometimes you only got one language on the disc/cart to begin with), all games are either English because I can choose or because my system language is English. But Windows has those separate regional settings for keyboard layout and currency, which is fine and necessary until a game uses that and forces me to play in German.

Oh that's even worse. I assumed the in-game language was tied to the system language.

Anyway, what I meant is that using settings on OS level was a typical console feature before MS started using it on PC as well. In Steam, I can change the language in the properties of each game.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Downwell on PC has been fixed last night. Before others ask what was wrong with it, almost a year ago the game couldn't run 60 FPS instead hovering between 44 and 50. moppin made a beta branch that fixed the FPS issue however made the game run fast that usually when you get hit by an enemy, you have temporary invincibility and a bit of slowdown to plan your next move. The beta branch neglects
the slowdown.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
days
to
go

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
RTX2060 actually can outperform GTX1080 with Nvidia Adaptive Shading, and can come close to RTX2080 with DLSS in games that have it.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i think i'm gonna end up overthrowing into the breach and putting monster hunter in second place in my goty thing

i'm always pretty biased towards things i played recently, but pretending to be like an objective arbiter about the quality of these games feels like a lost cause anyways

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I've missed it because I'm dumb, but can I nominate any game that came out on PC in 2018 for GOTY or it has to be first released in 2018? I mean, do ports and re-releases count?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Oh my god I just remembered I posted in the Polybius pc thread which means it came out and I didn't buy it. Woooot excited

Totally missed it coming out. Hint: Never release your game during a big Steam sale.

RTX2060 actually can outperform GTX1080 with Nvidia Adaptive Shading, and can come close to RTX2080 with DLSS in games that have it.

Seems to be the first card from NV in a while that isn't overpriced but I fear the 6GB will become a problem sooner than later, it's already not enough in some title if you want to crank everything up.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
RTX2060 is max 1440p card. So if you are still playing games at 1080p-1440p range 6GB will be fine.

Warning, German: https://www.computerbase.de/2019-01...0-test/5/#abschnitt_6_gb_versus_8_gb_speicher

FFXV and CoD:WW2 are struggling a bit even at 1080p while BFV can't handle DX12 + 1440p without bad stuttering. Most games will be fine and you can turn down textures but if someone wants to keep a graphics card for a while its a real concern, since almost every other card in that price range or slightly lower nowadays has 8GB and devs will start using that as the baseline.

Also Gamers Nexus review, not watched yet.

Last edited:

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
- When more than one sheep gather, they have babies
- Babies are created through the process known as sex
- Steam allows sex games on their store

Catherine Classic will launch on Steam with an exclusive dlc upgrade called Catherine: Steamy 18+ Edition making Sega the first major publisher to release an 18+ game on Steam.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Can't wait for Tales of Vesperia to drop in 3 days!! Loved that game on 360 back in the day...spent my first few months of college playing it so there's an element of nostalgia driving my purchase.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yo Valve you ended that XP support so how about that new Client? XD There even wasn't Beta update in long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like Catherine would be the worst outcome of all of this Sega nonsense, not because of the game but because everybody already guessed what it was after the very first image dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.