• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Honestly I am surprised when people bring up the VC1 and VC4 border, as I feel it so naturally blends into the battle screen that I don't even register it.

Maybe your monitor settings are aggravating the issue?

I play on a big ol' (43") 4K TV. Well "big" relative to the monitor sizes PC gamers are used to anyways. It's calibrated well enough in my opinion, really never have a complaint about it yet for anything I do on it, from games to movies or apps.

It's just weird. Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way, but to me it's actively destructive to image quality. In VC1, you could use a mod to remove the Canvas border and it was amazing I felt? It didn't negatively effect my experience at all, but it did restore colors to the edges of my screen.

For some reason that colorless border just takes me right out of the game more often than not. It's distracting. Where you say it blends, for me it clashes.

I guess it's like when PS4 Gamers complained about the black bars in The Order 1886, which on the flip-side I adored. I loved the cinematic aesthetic of that game... and the mustaches!

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

This is a really good and balanced article.

This part i find to be really important:

"If it's going to work, Epic has to create a platform and store that people want to use, not one they're forced to use. And they can pay off developers and publishers to sacrifice sales until their money runs out, but it won't engender loyalty. Honestly, it'll just mean they're thought of as an annoyance as big as anything released on the godforsaken Windows Store."

It's not a completely new reveleation no one else had on this forum before, but it breaks the issues with the strategy down in a very easily digestible way.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Agarest War: Marriage got moved up to Jan. 31st, will launch for $29.99 (USD) 24,99 (Euro), and have a 30% discount for it's first week.

Should probably buy sooner rather than later. I get worried about animu games on Steam these days, Valve can't decide what to ban and what not to after all.

Oct 25, 2017
At least something good came from this. The less devs/publishers supporting uwp the better.
I dislike UWP as much as any other PC gamer, but I don't really see this as a good thing. There are still a few people that like UWP and now they don't have the option to buy that version. I think as PC gamers that want an open platform, we should cheer more options. If someone wants to buy the UWP version of any game over the Steam version, good for them. As long as people have options, I don't see any problem with a game being available in Microsoft Store.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least something good came from this. The less devs/publishers supporting uwp the better.
I can't believe I'm about to say this.

I would prefer the world with the UWP option. At least other versions of the game on PC would still exist (pre-2020).

Epic store - Making the existence of the Microsoft Store look just a tiny bit less shit.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Weird color sapping borders that add literally nothing. >_<

33017535508_f8fc420f3d_b.jpg

Claude is unimpressed.

It's just weird. Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way, but to me it's actively destructive to image quality. In VC1, you could use a mod to remove the Canvas border and it was amazing I felt? It didn't negatively effect my experience at all, but it did restore colors to the edges of my screen.

Fair enough. I kind of feel the same way about vignettes. However, I love the watercolour painting style, and the Canvas borders in VC reinforces the effect for me.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
This meme... Lord, it does more hard than pirates nowadays. What other industry is there where the hardcore consumers actively seek to not give a fair price for the entertainment they enjoy?

I could ask the rethorical question as to who exactly gets to determine what price is fair, but i'm not in the mood.

I recently got into a habbit of watching LEGO reviews and talks on youtube for no particular reason.
You literally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a LEGO and a videogame podcast if you tried.
They have everything! Talks of "Fanboys" and "Paid shills", deal hunting, complaints about the greedy LEGO companies, even complaints about store exclusive LEGO sets!

Now this might all sound like some unrelated tangent, but what i'm trying to say is that "videogamers" aren't particular unique and as such i think its safe to say if you ask "In what other industry", the answer will probably be "in every one"

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This meme... Lord, it does more hard than pirates nowadays. What other industry is there where the hardcore consumers actively seek to not give a fair price for the entertainment they enjoy?
But Pixieking, surely you understand that any price the market offers is, by definition, fair *moustachio-twirling* #LibertarianGamer

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
But Pixieking, surely you understand that any price the market offers is, by definition, fair *moustachio-twirling* #LibertarianGamer

Ahahahah. Well done. :D

I could ask the rethorical question as to who exactly gets to determine what price is fair, but i'm not in the mood.

The individual purchasing the item determines the fairness of the price, but the meme purposefully removes nuance - "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game". Not "Pay more than 20 bucks for a game if you think it's worth it" or "Pay more than 20 bucks if you think the developer deserves the support".

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's bad when a Valve employee has to call out Kotaku purposely misquoting.
Most of the comments and articles I've seen from journalists on this matter have been extremely embarrassing. They read like they don't see any issue whatsoever with the exclusivity deals, and present the whole thing like a wrestling match hyping up a newcomer to overthrow the champ.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if anyone took that pic seriously. It's just a funny image from a simpler time. Not worth over analyzing.

Maybe, maybe not. There was a time - especially during the period where there was a bundle every week from someplace - where it got quoted a lot. Now it's not quoted as much, but maybe the harm's already done?

Deleted member 3856

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got caught up on things. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck Epic so goddamn hard. I'm usually fine waiting for late ports and I'm just going to end up treating these timed exclusives as such but any game that pulled this shit will only be bought at a deeeeeeep discount.

And honestly, at this point I'm actually starting to hope that some of those devs suffer abysmal sales on the Epic store. If they don't give a shit about my best interest as a consumer, then why should I care about theirs? And this is coming from someone that usually tends on their side by default. Never cared about any downgrade drama or the likes and I've actually defended Hello Games a few times.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Ahahahah. Well done. :D

The individual purchasing the item determines the fairness of the price, but the meme purposefully removes nuance - "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game". Not "Pay more than 20 bucks for a game if you think it's worth it" or "Pay more than 20 bucks if you think the developer deserves the support".
I'd wager most people post that as a joke. Pretty sure most people here have spent more than 20 bucks (or their local equivalent spending power) on a game.

Regardless of the imperative nature of the meme, people will always value more things they absolutely want. A person being that rigid in their spending patterns is rare and/or didn't actually want that product that much.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Valve's statement (via the tweets above). Fucking Valve apologising for Deep Silver taking Epic's money. Valve got nothing to apologise for, but they at least see the consumer reaction, whereas DS and Epic just don't give a damn.

I'd wager most people post that as a joke. Pretty sure most people here have spent more than 20 bucks (or their local equivalent spending power) on a game.

Regardless of the imperative nature of the meme, people will always value more things they absolutely want. A person being that rigid in their spending patterns is rare and/or didn't actually want that product that much.

Yeah, this is all fair and true.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For all of you "Its just a launcher" guys, think about it like if you have a PS4 that didnt instantly launch into the standard PS4 OS but several OSes with different friends list in each and games just available on a certain OS. There are several of them and this new game Metro Exodus was announced for the Sony OS but in the last minute they tell you that only purchases before now will be on the standard OS, new purchases can only be made in the Madcatz OS and all retail copies aee also on Madcatz OS only. Good thing this is a single player game...

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Journalists" actively misquoting Valve to generate a narrative and clicks puts them on the same level as pathetic tabloid newspapers as far as I'm concerned.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Well it looks like it just poofed.

I hope everyone who wanted to buy it on Steam got it.

I wanted to buy it on Steam, until the news broke.

Now I just hope enough people held back and will continue to hold back even when it comes to Steam again, until a deep discount.

Ideally, Deep Silver should not come out of this rewarded. Unfortunately I think they did, given how quickly Metro rose to the top sellers and how it stayed there ALL DAY long. Probably made some serious bank today between that and the Epic moneyhat.

Edit: Having Principles continues to suck. Morality sucks. Always on the losing end. >_<

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Personally, I think Valve should have handled this internally instead of making a thing out of it. Yeah, game devs that put up Coming Soon pages and then pull are being super shitty, and yes, we just literally the other day were discussing if any dev would pull a pre-order game, but Valve knows full well that posting what they did in the way it was written would rile people up.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think Valve should have handled this internally instead of making a thing out of it. Yeah, game devs that put up Coming Soon pages and then pull are being super shitty, and yes, we just literally the other day were discussing if any dev would pull a pre-order game, but Valve knows full well that posting what they did in the way it was written would rile people up.

I think Valve were well within their rights to place a notice on the store page as a service to their customers, but perhaps crossed a line with including the 'unfair' editorial comment - should've played this one straight, in hindsight.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "unfair" comment is deserved and accurate. Pulling that shit at the last minute without any warning beforehand is a garbage, unfair move.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I think Valve have to step their communications game up, and the "unfair" statement was part of that. Ever since EA left Steam, they've let other companies control the narrative when they're involved in something with Valve/Steam. Gaming journalism sees Epic/EA/Ubi/DS issuing statements and Valve just being tight-lipped, and that means Valve just lose and lose some more. Issuing the statement riled people up, but it also let everyone know that DS and Epic were to blame here, and Valve are on the customer's side.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, put the blame where it belongs.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Aaaaand Metro's purchase button is gone.

Also Epic/Sweeney/Sergey have riled ppl up plenty with their actions and comments, Valve's response is very mild all things considered.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, you think they should have just waited until they stopped selling it and then posted a notice about what is happening?

To a game that was selling preorders for weeks and weeks?

Considering what happened the 'unfair' was probably because if it was up to Epic and Deep silver they probably would Told no one anything until it was too late today.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition- DONE
Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition- DONE
Witcher 3: GOTY Editiom - DONE

Someone give me a fucking cd projekt red metal or some shit. I NEED A TAG. WITCHER MASTER!!! Geralts boot carrier.
You don't sound very happy about finishing those, more like enduring a slog.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are gonna be a lot of steam refunds come launch day if Metro doesnt get great reviews. It will be especially bad if it gets low scores which would confirm my belief Deep Silver took the deal money and ran after seeing the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.