• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'll take a beta invite. Never played an Anno game before. Is it an RTS or more civilization like?

Been itching for an RTS lately

Have you played Port Royale or Patrician?
It's an economy based strategy game. You set production buildings, trade routes to sell your production and to buy goods which can be used for production or reselling, and depending on the game there is some combat with light RTS elements

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Man, what a time to be alive. fucking day.

Can it get any more ridiculous? Just announced, Persona 5 R exclusive to Epic Store! Are you fucking kidding me.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/28/persona-5-R-announced-for-the-epic-games-store

giphy.gif

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That, too.

Not that I think these friendships shouldn't happen but it skews the perspective.

But generally there is a disconnect where people don't know the market because a lot of people in the press still only care about the "AAA but with better graphics and performance" part about PC gaming. I love Giant Bomb but when they say that "only 2 people use uPlay" or when Schreier said that the 200.000 sold copies of Hollow Knight on Switch most likely dwarf the sales of the PC, gets corrected by his co-host shortly after and takes it begrudgingly one has to wonder if the PC Gaming market is an area about which they should make statements.
You raise an interesting point: I wouldn't really care so much if these publications, and posters here on Era, made little to no comments on PC Gaming, if they really didn't care or know much about it. Once on a blue moon maybe.
But nope, everyone and their grandma has to hash in on this, and explain to me how bad Valve is, how I should be amazed that Epic is distorting this market. And when I complain, well, at least now I know that I was being hyper-toxic. Thanks for clearing that up, Kotaku.

It's remarkable how the people with the least stake, end up being the loudest voice in this.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
We don't need to look far to see how PC as platform is treated by journalists. Every huge indie success is more-less ignored until it comes on consoles.

I have a game on GOG that I recently bought for Steam yesterday! How would I be able to find the save files from the GOG version? I want to see if I can use them on the Steam version. It's an older game.
On my Win7 Laptop they are under
C:/user/"your name"/saved games/"name of the game"
Should be similar on Win10 I would expect. Maybe search your harddrive for the game's name.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Honesly I am disappointed by the so called journalists.

I dont mean about Epic Store, but the general problems it might have. No one mentions that Chinese gamers cant play those exclusive Epic Store games.
No one mentions that most people in the 3rd world are fucked.
No one mentions that there are no cloud saves.
No one mentions that there are no achievments yet.

I would try to paint a balanced picture. What is good for consumers and devs on the storefronts. What is bad about on each one.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Grayson was harrassed for years by Gamergate. It's not a surprise he doesn't have a kind view of gamer culture outrage.

And frankly, he's not without a point. This thread has become unreadable the last few months, and a lot of people do hide shitty behavior behind the "pro consumer" nonsense.
I love this dishonest bullshit where when people have genuine grievances it's either classified as gamer outrage or some callback to gamergate is thrown out so people are afraid to reply because they're afraid they'll be labled as "gator".

Mind you there is a lot of dumb shit people get mad or outraged over, this ain't it though.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I dont mean about Epic Store, but the general problems it might have. No one mentions that Chinese gamers cant play those exclusive Epic Store games.

I would try to paint a balanced picture. What is good for consumers and devs on the storefronts. What is bad about on each one.

I argued with few of them, they all stop responding after you ask about customers or after you point out that selling games is two way road not only developer one.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Most of modern journalistic sites are interested in clicks and money, not being balanced or ethical.

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018
why does one have to conflate Gamergate and toxic gamer culture with Epic's practices affecting the people using Steam? Focusing on Valve's notice on the game's page and not what Epic is doing is missing the forest for the trees.

Has Epic said how they want to make EGS a 'less toxic', more inclusive platform?

Afaik by not being a platform in the first place, anyone correct me if i'm wrong but from what i've read epic doesn't want any system where people can publicly just say something in their store, the only thing they will do is opt-in reviews which are probably going to be heavily moderated.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Far Cry new dawn doesn't get moneyhatted last second either..it looks like Ubisoft could have a winner on steam that day. Unless Jump Force turns out to be huge.

But holy shit that Feb 15th day is pretty nuts. Crackdown 3, Metro, Jump Force, Far Cry. Also new Civ expansion day before And Kiwami + Anthem week after too.

Why the fuck is everything crammed into this small timeframe?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I argued with few of them, they all stop responding after you ask about customers or after you point out that selling games is two way road not only developer one.

I am not sure why no one of the big outlets actually writes a balanced article.

I mean this would be my personal take:

-Epic store is good for devs, since they earn more.
-Epic store has the fortnite audience they COULD convert to other gamers.
-Epic store has Steamspy analysis that they might use to make the experience better.
-Currently a lot of basic features missing.
-Moneyhatting is not good.
-A whole market is hurt by Epic 3rd party exclusives.
-A bigger market is hurt because they dont have regional prices (yet)
-Epic doesnt have forums and uses newsletters to talk to the customers
-The Epic 12% cut could be 18% after 2 years, since devs have to pay Influencers to play their games.

-Steam has a lot of basic features.
-Steam supports the most regions so 3rd world countries can buy games for a reasonable price.
-Steam lets people earn pocket change by owning or playing games.
-Steam develops stuff like Proton, SteamLink App, VR stuff etc.
-Steam has a problem with moderation and problematic groups (Nazi groups)
-Steam communication with smaller devs is problematic and some wont get an answer while bigger devs get an answer in a few hours.
-Steams UI needs an overhaul (thats coming)
-Steam has a problem approving problematic games.
-Curation pros and cons.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Assuming Far Cry new dawn doesn't get moneyhatted last second either..it looks like Ubisoft could have a winner on steam that day. Unless Jump Force turns out to be huge.

But holy shit that Feb 15th day is pretty nuts. Crackdown 3, Metro, Jump Force, Far Cry. Also new Civ expansion day before And Kiwami + Anthem week after too.

Why the fuck is everything crammed into this small timeframe?

Everyone ran from RDR2.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am not sure why no one of the big outlets actually writes a balanced article.

I mean this would be my personal take:

-Epic store is good for devs, since they earn more.
-Epic store has the fortnite audience they COULD convert to other gamers.
-Epic store has Steamspy analysis that they might use to make the experience better.
-Currently a lot of basic features missing.
-Moneyhatting is not good.
-A whole market is hurt by Epic 3rd party exclusives.
-A bigger market is hurt because they dont have regional prices (yet)
-Epic doesnt have forums and uses newsletters to talk to the customers
-The Epic 12% cut could be 18% after 2 years, since devs have to pay Influencers to play their games.

-Steam has a lot of basic features.
-Steam supports the most regions so 3rd world countries can buy games for a reasonable price.
-Steam lets people earn pocket change by owning or playing games.
-Steam develops stuff like Proton, SteamLink App, VR stuff etc.
-Steam has a problem with moderation and problematic groups (Nazi groups)
-Steam communication with smaller devs is problematic and some wont get an answer while bigger devs get an answer in a few hours.
-Steams UI needs an overhaul (thats coming)
-Steam has a problem approving problematic games.
-Curation pros and cons.

I mean when biggest self proclaimed pro-consumer "journalist" Jim Sterling (thank God for him) stays silent then what else we need to say (except F Konami, EA and Ubisoft) :D

Fanta

May 27, 2018
So has anyone else noticed a bunch of indie devs and journalists on twitter crying about Valve daring to say that the removal of Metro two weeks before release after being up for pre order so long is unfair to consumers?

Have I just entered some bizarre world??
Why would such a statement be bad???

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Afaik by not being a platform in the first place, anyone correct me if i'm wrong but from what i've read epic doesn't want any system where people can publicly just say something in their store, the only thing they will do is opt-in reviews which are probably going to be heavily moderated.
That works until you have a userbase approaching the size of Steam; you're bound to get the toxic 'PC master race' shitheads lingering in every corner. Being a highly curated storefront will only last for so long if they're trying to compete with Steam. But at face value it's a welcoming promise, I'd just like to see how they'll follow through on it.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered Sekiro and DMC5. Not risking waking up one day reading "CapCom pulls DMC5 from Steam, now Epic Games Store exclusive".

I mean, I would have gotten those games anyway, but I don't want to risk it.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
So has anyone else noticed a bunch of indie devs and journalists on twitter crying about Valve daring to say that the removal of Metro two weeks before release after being up for pre order so long is unfair to consumers?

Have I just entered some bizarre world??
Why would such a statement be bad???
Not only does Valve suck, they also have to just shut up and do nothing while fading into irrelevance.

Edit: Or see below. Bitch eating crackers syndrome.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly..Epic can have DMC5. Permanently for all I care.

But mofos better not touch Sekiro.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I am honestly scared now what 2019 games will Epic buy next.

Sekiro would be hard since it has 3 publishers. I doubt Capcom will do it, because MHW and RE2 are successes on Steam, but who knows what the japanese branch might think.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I'm so weak. I just bought Exodus from Steam.

Maybe I'll refund before release but I wanted to at least have the option to play it on Steam before 2020.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I'm also surprised about the lack of mentioning the cloud save situation on the Epic Client from journalists and the like, not even a few months ago people here and everywhere were complaining about Nintendo having no cloud saves and then they locked it behind a pay wall which absolutely caused an uproar.
Yet I've seen none of these people who are treating Epic as some sort of underdog mention anything about the lack of cloud saves on the Epic client.

What timeline is this.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Hyper-Toxic money launderes

Brb writing my hitpiece on the Epic Games Store about how it won't get us Half-Life 3 so you don't have to cheer for it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Meh I have 300+ games on my wishlish, it'll be very easy to just switch my money to other games. I have more ways to get credit on steam so I literally have less to spend on the other stores anyway.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I deleted my Epic account (subject to approval by Epic).

I've had that thing for years and even bought a fair few UE4 assets there. No regrets.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only thing that really get's me is the "But monopoly" argument. It's so insanely stupid.
Whatever if you don't like Steam that's fine. If you think this will be good for the industry, yourself or somebody else, fine. You just want to annoy PC gamers, fine.

But lord almighty, stop it with the "monopoly" nonsense. And look up what a god damn monopoly is, fucking hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only thing that really get's me is the "But monopoly" argument. It's so insanely stupid.
Whatever if you don't like Steam that's fine. If you think this will be good for the industry, yourself or somebody else, fine. You just want to annoy PC gamers, fine.

But lord almighty, stop it with the "monopoly" nonsense. And look up what a god damn monopoly is, fucking hell.
The funny thing is that Epic is the one trying to monopolize the pc market.

Status
Not open for further replies.