• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
www.eurogamer.net

A brief history of cyberpunk games

The long-awaited release of Cyberpunk 2077 brings to an end years of feverish anticipation for those who have been itch…

I enjoyed this piece. Love that they brought up Mirror's Edge as a cyberpunk game, it's a cyberpunk classic.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So do we think that Cyberpunk is breaking FO4's launch? I think those are still the highest launch concurrents for a single player game.

I'm sure it's PC launch will be better than FO4, but it's hard to tell how many of those will be siphoned over to go GOG. It was like 50/50 with W3 I think.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-load is up on the G O G

63GB
olEhmW1.png

Oct 28, 2019
So do we think that Cyberpunk is breaking FO4's launch? I think those are still the highest launch concurrents for a single player game.

I'm sure it's PC launch will be better than FO4, but it's hard to tell how many of those will be siphoned over to go GOG. It was like 50/50 with W3 I think.

Can see it hitting 600-700k concurrent users, it already passed FO4 in followers and the hype is just, let's be honest, insane for the game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I fully anticipate many players will forget this is actually a game with a scope, boundaries and technical limitations, and a No Man's Sky-esque "they lied" hullabaloo manifesting around Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR's marketing has been overpromising more than a bit with the language they use (among other glaring problems of course), and people seem to have been getting expectations up to an unhealthy degree. I still recall the media hyping it way up after that first behind closed doors gameplay session and feeling like the game could not possibly deliver on what it evoked in their imagination.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I fully anticipate many players will forget this is actually a game with a scope, boundaries and technical limitations, and a No Man's Sky-esque "they lied" hullabaloo manifesting around Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR's marketing has been overpromising more than a bit with the language they use, and people seem to have been getting expectations up to an unhealthy degree. I still recall the media hyping it way up after that first behind closed doors gameplay session and feeling like the game could not possibly deliver on what it evoked in their imagination.

Its not just Cyberpunk though and not even NMS. Read GAF threads shortly before Divison 1 release.

peter-molyneux-lies-comic.gif

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
People are in for a world of disappointment if they're expecting much more than a pretty city to look at while they go from story sequence to story sequence with a few highly curated branching decisions/paths in them.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
People are in for a world of disappointment if they're expecting much more than a pretty city to look at while they go from story sequence to story sequence with a few highly curated branching decisions/paths in them.
You've phrased it a bit crude but yeah, more or less. Still, it's been ages since we've had a proper AAA RPG.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Welp I just beat Midir and I am pretty much done playing DS3 with a playtime clocking at 63 hours, I just gotta prepare some stuff for ng+ which I'll probably won't play for quite a while. Regarding Midir, the main hurdle fighting Midir as a melee build is the camera (at least for me) but it helps locking on and off depending on the situation and where Midir is.
I think the toughest Boss battles I had were Friede, Gael, Pontiff and Aldrich.

And now I just gotta finish AC Odyssey at least the main story which seems to go relatively quick.

Also it's just an hour left for CP 2077 pre-load on steam.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I just beat Midir and I am pretty much done playing DS3 with a playtime clocking at 63 hours. As I though the main hurdle fighting Midir as a melee build is the camera but it helps locking on and off depending on the situation and where Midir is. I think the toughest Boss battles I had were Friede, Gael, Pontiff and Aldrich.

No issues with Nameless King? That one tends to come up as a big roadblock, but I didn't have as much trouble with him as much as the drake part of the fight. Now Pontiff Sulyvahn though... Him and the crazy fast knights in the preceding area had me changing my build from two-handing an ultra greatsword to sword and boarding it up. The Friede fight was cool, but I would've enjoyed it more if it didn't involve so many health bars. Midir felt like a boss that the game wasn't designed for. Awkward fight even though in my winning run I had a decent amount of flasks left. I think Sinh is the better dragon boss. Gael was very fun, even though the character and his role in the game left me with a bad taste.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I just beat Midir and I am pretty much done playing DS3 with a playtime clocking at 63 hours, I just gotta prepare some stuff for ng+ which I'll probably won't play for quite a while. Regarding Midir, the main hurdle fighting Midir as a melee build is the camera (at least for me) but it helps locking on and off depending on the situation and where Midir is.
I think the toughest Boss battles I had were Friede, Gael, Pontiff and Aldrich.

And now I just gotta finish AC Odyssey at least the main story which seems to go relatively quick.

Also it's just an hour left for CP 2077 pre-load on steam.
I thought Midr was kinda easy also considering how much he was hyped up. Friede was an absolute nightmare for me taking 8 hours each on 2 different character. After that I put my hands up and surrendered, never went back and fought her again after that.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So i started to enjoy Doom Eternal at the Cultist base level, before this i was pretty meh at it. But now and after finishing this mission i can say im enjoying the game a lot. Probably because of the platforming challenges and better fights.

Im playing it on normal tho, but its enough for me. I die quite a lot in this difficulty, heh.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I recently had an epiphany of sorts, similar to when a player realises they're not having fun on hard difficulty anymore and when they go down to normal or easy, they feel ashamed for some reason.

My version of that: I've recently decided Football Manager Touch is the way to go for me.

Now, I like how much ridiculous attention to detail is in regular FM, but...after a couple hundred hours I'm realising that attention to detail isn't very fun. Clicking the exact same dialogue options for player conversations and press conferences isn't exactly compelling gameplay. Neither is spamming 'Get Creative' shouts every five minutes.

Touch just streamlines everything very well and gets to the point without dropping anything essential. The only thing I would have liked retained is tactic familiarity, but no biggie.

It's got me wondering what the Touch version of many different games would feel like. Food for thought!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
W3 is one of my favorite games ever, so I have to have some level of hype and high expectations. But I worry that they can't/won't capture what made that game so good, which was playing as Geralt.

On the other hand it looks like a potentially much better RPG mechanically.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
No issues with Nameless King? That one tends to come up as a big roadblock, but I didn't have as much trouble with him as much as the drake part of the fight.

Nameless King wasn't easy or hard, it was just that he deals a lot of damage so in may case I had to dodge at the right time which wasn't hard to be honest as his attacks weren't that fast. I went with a dex build (plus onikiri and ubadachi as my main weapon followed by uchigatana throughout the game) and I can see how strength builds with a slow attack speed can I have a difficult time with him. Most of the bosses you just have to get used to their moves and it works more or less.

I thought Midr was kinda easy also considering how much he was hyped up.

Yeah Midir was hard at the beginning with how mach damage he took and I dealt to him but as I said once you get to used to his moves (and camera) it's manageable. Regarding Friede, I'm not gonna lie summoning that npc helped quite a bit only because I was getting fed up with her three phases/rounds.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I recently had an epiphany of sorts, similar to when a player realises they're not having fun on hard difficulty anymore and when they go down to normal or easy, they feel ashamed for some reason.

My version of that: I've recently decided Football Manager Touch is the way to go for me.

Now, I like how much ridiculous attention to detail is in regular FM, but...after a couple hundred hours I'm realising that attention to detail isn't very fun. Clicking the exact same dialogue options for player conversations and press conferences isn't exactly compelling gameplay. Neither is spamming 'Get Creative' shouts every five minutes.

Touch just streamlines everything very well and gets to the point without dropping anything essential. The only thing I would have liked retained is tactic familiarity, but no biggie.

It's got me wondering what the Touch version of many different games would feel like. Food for thought!
Team talks and press conferences are indeed the most annoying features of FM. Sometimes less is more.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Team talks and press conferences are indeed the most annoying features of FM. Sometimes less is more.

I was looking at a training report of a player. I clicked 'praise' and the usual dialogue option, they then thanked me for the upteenth time, and then I leaned back and realised..."This isn't fun."

It's weird. I love the attention to detail, and how things have a knock-on effect. I love that the most depressing email I've ever received in a video game is telling me Brexit was going to happen.

It just doesn't translate to fun gameplay though. The press conferences are flavour that are novel at first then a chore afterwards with no consequences. The meat of the game is transfers and adapting tactics during a game. Really glad a Touch version exists, and that I don't have to see that irritating notification that my players are 'complacent' during a match lol. Doesn't matter what I shouted, they never responded positively unless it was 'demand more' or 'praise' after a goal.

wihio

Oct 28, 2017
Preloading Cyberpunk 2077 using the Starlink beta dish, pulling 18MB/s when I used to be lucky to get 1MB... The Future Is NOW!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Fanatical started their Winter Sale
You get a free game when you spend more than 10€ in one order. I just couldn't figure out yet what games that are and if it's a random giveaway.

Fanatical

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
After reading these impressions it seems CDPR's idea of cyberpunk is quite literally "Wow!! Cool future!!". 😴

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Pretty decent score for cyberpunk, i really cant believe we are so close to the game now, it feels like its been 8 years of waiting... (oh wait it have)

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The only good thing that will come of CP2077 is hopefully people will be interested in Deus Ex again due to the "Cyberpunk" setting.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
That is what I am curious about.

I fear for my Ryzen 5 3600 | RTX 3070!
I only caught a bit of the Cyberpunk talk on Giant Bomb, but Jeff said he was playing on PC and that the framerate drops so much while in a car that he just walks everywhere in the game. That's all I heard about PC performance before I had to hop into a meeting.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Put this in the buy sell thread but might as well plop it in here too.

Have a Gigabyte B150m, i3 6100 and 8gb of ram for $70 shipped in the US if anyone was needing a cheap build.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I only caught a bit of the Cyberpunk talk on Giant Bomb, but Jeff said he was playing on PC and that the framerate drops so much while in a car that he just walks everywhere in the game. That's all I heard about PC performance before I had to hop into a meeting.

Uff, hoped that is patched quickly

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
I only played a bit of the ps3 demo years ago, so don't remember if it was eh gameplay wise. It was a pretty game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.