• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you switch?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 259 69.1%
  • I don't play competitive games but yes

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • I don't play competitive games but no

Votes: 76 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
I would, not just because of no cheating but price/performance ratio. Next gen consoles has 1040+ dollars of GPU and CPU and they sell entire package at ~500 dollars. PC gaming is in serious trouble imo. Well 3A PC gaming at least.

PC means much, much more than just performance. Besides the fact that consoles real world performance in games are unknown at this point, nor the price, PC is not in any trouble even if consoles launch at 400 dollars with a 2080 Ti. Simply because a PC is dominant in many areas, not performance alone.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I'm keeping my PC alive is to play Siege with friends.

If everything in this video can be done on next gen systems then I'll switch back to console Siege.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day you have to accept the negatives with the positives. I don't even care about performance it's nice but it's a non factor really. I enjoy that PC is an open platform and there is no way to have that without allowing easy access to cheaters. I just think the trade off is well worth it. It really isn't a consistent problem.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is now a console cheaters thread!

Ive not encountered one XB1 cheater, as the generation ends Im guessing ill have survived the gen without one.

Ive been pretty interested in XB1 cfw and or hacks but I have yet to find any worth mentioning.
PS4 has a cfw hack already so i wouldnt be shocked if during the grace period we got some hackers on the network.

PUBG cheats are usualy PC players that console players find through crossplay.
I dont know any console specific cheats like we had during the X360/PS3 days.
But id be happy to be wrong.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
No chance. Paying for multiplayer is some stone age shit and I rarely run into cheaters so it's not a major problem for me.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
PC means much, much more than just performance. Besides the fact that consoles real world performance in games are unknown at this point, nor the price, PC is not in any trouble even if consoles launch at 400 dollars with a 2080 Ti. Simply because a PC is dominant in many areas, not performance alone.
Don't see a plus besides modding anymore tbh. And I was a PC gamer more than 15 years. Oh and there are MOBAs and CSGOlike shooters which I don't like anyways :P R6 Siege was only comp game I was playing then cheaters just made me quit.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Also anyone who says "I barely ran into cheaters, it's completely safe." are wrong. Cheaters don't do 360 bunnyjump noscopes 7/24 to show them they are cheating. They mostly try to do it discreetly. Slight speed hacks, slight aim hacks, walls, AR hacks sometimes are pretty much present in nearly every comp PC game. Besides LoL. I heard they have a great anti cheat system.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also anyone who says "I barely ran into cheaters, it's completely safe." are wrong. Cheaters don't do 360 bunnyjump noscopes 7/24 to show them they are cheating. They mostly try to do it discreetly. Slight speed hacks, slight aim hacks, walls, AR hacks sometimes are pretty much present in nearly every comp PC game. Besides LoL. I heard they have a great anti cheat system.
How is that any different than people using mouse and keyboard with controller aim assist on console? Like as long as there are competitive games people will cheat. It's not like most of us are playing at some high stake tournament level if you feel someone is cheating just back out and find the next lobby.

On the bolded part I promise you it's never been an issue for me or my friend group. It's a bit more frequent in the fotm battle royale but it's hardly something that would even make me consider leaving the platform.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No. I'll only switch to console if they offer a at least similar customization experience as a PC (mods, graphics options).

Also, I don't like to pay a subscription just to play online...

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Sounds like all your deaths come from hacks.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
How is that any different than people using mouse and keyboard with controller aim assist on console? Like as long as there are competitive games people will cheat. It's not like most of us are playing at some high stake tournament level if you feel someone is cheating just back out and find the next lobby.

On the bolded part I promise you it's never been an issue for me or my friend group. It's a bit more frequent in the fotm battle royale but it's hardly something that would even make me consider leaving the platform.
Gears had no aim assist. And it did fine. Splatoon uses gyro aiming instead of aim assist and no one complains.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Only competitive games I play are fighters and I use a pad anyway. I refuse to pay for multiplayer and prefer to be on an open system. If consoles want to attract me back they'd have to open up the walled gardens more which will never happen.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

The vast majority of people complaining about cheats on pc are just bad players that can't deal being on the end of a lucky shot /lag or better players in general.

especially if we are talking "slight" cheats that would mostly come into effect in high tier play.

Battle Royale is a tricky genre because one player can ruin it for 99 wheras in smaller scale games you need to be really unlucky to run into cheaters.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Cheating isn't really a problem in competitive settings (like Prime matchmaking). People only do that shit on pubs.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears had no aim assist. And it did fine. Splatoon uses gyro aiming instead of aim assist and no one complains.
I don't think you understand people buy adaptors so they can play games using mouse and keyboard that doesn't officially support it. It's straight up cheating so it exists on all platforms. Are you likely to run into a spinbot unkillable opponent in console? No, but you rarely run into those on PC as well.

If the game has aim assist that would apply to the mouse and keyboard player in that situation, if the game doesn't have aim assist you still have a mouse and keyboard player competing against players on controllers.

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
Don't see a plus besides modding anymore tbh. And I was a PC gamer more than 15 years. Oh and there are MOBAs and CSGOlike shooters which I don't like anyways :P R6 Siege was only comp game I was playing then cheaters just made me quit.

The games themselves - you have 40 years of games at your fingertips. Entire genres absent from consoles. Higher performance. Mouse and keyboard - which is the single most important thing as far as im concerned. You can use every peripheral ever made - plug a wheel for a racing game, plus a flight stick for a sim game. Tailor your experience as you want - resolution, details, fov, mods.

It doesnt matter how powerful a consoles will ever be - its simply doesnt offer the experience a computer does

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That video doesn't prove your point. It literally says 'this is not a hacking device'. It's basically an advanced usb-input modifier for button macros. Very minor compared to wall hacking and aim bots on PC. And not only that, if Sony/MS really want to lock down their allowed input devices on their consoles to kill this type of things they could. And that's the kind of debate/battle we should be having - locking down things more.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on my brief research, seems like PS4 yes, Xbox yes.

It's not as prevalent as on PC, but it does happen.

1) Can't take that PS4 online for multiplayer.
2) "when OLD Call of Duty comes to Xbox One" - This is entering multiplayer lobbies with older jail broken platforms like the 360, in old games that no developer is paying attention to.

PS4 and Xbox One, and the consoles that follow them, are fundamentally secure platforms, and all the examples you can find are real edge cases of things like lag switching, or unencrypted network communications being intercepted due to inept programming (PUBG).

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Naaaaah. I put too much value on gameplay-adjusting mods/trainers/CE tables to correct fundamental problems with a game or expand a game's mechanical depth, multi-button macros and key mapping software to get around occasionally bewildering control bind restrictions, and being able to modify executables so that games render in my monitor's native 32:9 aspect ratio since a lot of developers think Ultrawide ratios stop at 21:9.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No. I refuse to pay for multiplayer access on consoles, making PC my only option for multiplayer games.

This, and my competitive sessions are played in lan, monitored by onsite admins and totally without internet randoms.

Competitive play over internet will always have issues regardless of my own hardware setup.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nope.

Being able to adjust graphic settings to personal preferences that you don't get on console. If I had more friends that played console then maybe. But people I know are pc majority gamers and none of them have any real interest in the XBSX or PS5 besides a couple exclusives

Also free online vs paid.

Last edited:

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Thread backfired

Not many sane folks would pay a monthly sub for p2p online, just so that they know cheating is less.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thread backfired

Not many sane folks would pay a monthly sub for p2p online, just so that they know cheating is less.

How did it backfire? I'm not trying to convince people to switch.... Just asking a question to know what people think.

Oh really, well im not going to watch his click bait garbage, if he wants to play on consoles & hates PC gaming, then why is he playing on PC?

When did he say he hates PC gaming?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are no cheaters on consoles, PS4 and Xbox are unhackable, consoles have the better online experience and paying for multiplayer is good.
Also a PC costs at least $10.000 to build, you have to spend 2 weeks to get a single game running and Gabe will eat your firstborn if you use Steam.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really, well im not going to watch his click bait garbage, if he wants to play on consoles & hates PC gaming, then why is he playing on PC?
Because MKB is the best way to play Siege and MKB adapters on console, while not perfect, still give you an unfair advantage over pad players. It's not that hard to understand.

Also I'm not aware he hates PC gaming. Do you some axe to grind with Get Flanked in particular or are you just this dumb?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Massive games selection and the freedom to play them however you like you like is the main one for me. Xbox games, Japanese games, AAA third party games, Sony games, every indie game, PC exclusive/focused stuff like CRPGs and strategy games, backwards compatible with over three decades of gaming and emulators. It all comes back to the sheer amount of games and freedom.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I would, not just because of no cheating but price/performance ratio. Next gen consoles has 1040+ dollars of GPU and CPU and they sell entire package at ~500 dollars. PC gaming is in serious trouble imo. Well 3A PC gaming at least.

Don't even know the price of consoles yet, or what nvidia and amd are bringing 3rd quarter, but sure lets pretend nvidia and amd are gonna release 1000 dollar gpu's that only perform like 500 dollar consoles and they are both going to go bankrupt.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, paying for multiplayer is the biggest scam in gaming

Also, I want to pick and optimize all of my settings, you can't get to that resolution on consoles

Oh and losing out on all the cool, weird mods... Nah man.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Naaaaah. I put too much value on gameplay-adjusting mods/trainers/CE tables to correct fundamental problems with a game or expand a game's mechanical depth, multi-button macros and key mapping software to get around occasionally bewildering control bind restrictions, and being able to modify executables so that games render in my monitor's native 32:9 aspect ratio since a lot of developers think Ultrawide ratios stop at 21:9.

Hell no, paying for multiplayer is the biggest scam in gaming

Also, I want to pick and optimize all of my settings, you can't get to that resolution on consoles, not to mention losing out on all the cool mods

The thread is about competitive games and cheaters. What do cool mods have to do with that? I also specified that if console can reach high framerates. The thread got derailed too much.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PC has all the options and advantages really. I understand the frustration of cheaters, especially the doubt it creates which is more damaging than the actual cheating often as it's always in question. But the benefits are just far greater.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is about competitive games and cheaters. What do cool mods have to do with that? I also specified that if console can reach high framerates. The thread got derailed too much.

Lots of clans and competitive gamers have modded servers / game modes that allow them to train on specific aspects of the game. Like marksman training, reflex shots on maps etc

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Don't need to switch when I already play when I'm with certain friend or family groups. I've been using XIM like devices since xbox, not all the tim

Better support makes it easier but I'm not really settling on any one platform as I grow older.

There are too many little things which people have listed as to why it will never be my default. As long as paid multiplayer or low level access to my device hardware settings are locked away don't care to rely on console multiplayer.

I don't see how thread is derailed when people list reasons they won't switch off pc.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Being able to adjust your graphical settings is also important for competitive games and consoles don't let you. I always end up having to remove extra flashy crap for the sake of clarity and is one of the reasons I have stuck with PC gaming regardless of genre.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Because MKB is the best way to play Siege and MKB adapters on console, while not perfect, still give you an unfair advantage over pad players. It's not that hard to understand.

Also I'm not aware he hates PC gaming. Do you some axe to grind with Get Flanked in particular or are you just this dumb?
Anyone who uses the term PC master race needs to go back to 2007.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC will always be ahead of the curve in raw power and how you can cutomize.
And if you play competitively, to customize basically EVERYTHING is the most important aspect

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
PC will always be ahead of the curve in raw power and how you can cutomize.
And if you play competitively, to customize basically EVERYTHING is the most important aspect

Not really. If everyone is playing on the same hardware and graphics and performance, it's even better from a competitive point of view.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Derisive use of the term is valid to this day. As evidenced by this thread full of people snickering at the thought that with proper advancements consoles could be better suited for online competitive play than PCs.
Well yeah, if you turn them into PC's, i never understood the mentatlity of "if consoles have m/kb, mods, 144hz, gsync, upgrade graphics cards, windows 10, etc, whats the point of PC's" bro that is a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.