• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you switch?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 259 69.1%
  • I don't play competitive games but yes

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • I don't play competitive games but no

Votes: 76 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass ultimate on sale as much as it is I don't mind paying it. Sony though isn't doing much with the fee ps plus games for me though but for $35 a year on sale usually there are a few games that make it worth it still. But yeah I get the sentiment. I wouldn't be surprised though to eventually see steam move to a saas model though either.

outsida

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I don't know about switch but I'd play on the platforms a little more often. I have a bunch of friend and family who won't touch PC gaming. They are always bugging me to get on the Xbox.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It's hard to say since I don't play competitive online games, but I can't imagine cheaters would be so rampant that I would give up superior graphics and performance.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not dismissing evidence. I just never seen one. The Switch can be hacked unlike PS4 and Xbox.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly outside of battle royals i dont run into enough cheaters to stress about it. Funily enough the only confirmed cheaters i've ran into in Warzone were while playing on console. Had a team eliminate me from under the map. You can also see evidence of console cheating with just about any leaderboard such as Trials being loaded with impossible times. Diablo 3 is overran with cheaters on console and ive never seen one on pc.

Last edited:

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If everyone else did yeah.

The competition is on PC, if that competition stays there then what's the point, so I can smurf on consoles?

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Competitive games aren't the only games I play, and I refuse to pay to play online, so definitely no.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show me someone hacking in a multiplayer game on Xbox One.

Just some more clips on the pile of cheating on consoles

I will say that I personally think it's far harder to meet cheaters on console. I don't think it's worth giving up what I get from playing on PC, however, but I can totally understand why others would. After all, we are all different people, and have different reasons for the stuff we do.

Nov 14, 2017
I will say that I personally think it's far harder to meet cheaters on console. I don't think it's worth giving up what I get from playing on PC, however, but I can totally understand why others would. After all, we are all different people, and have different reasons for the stuff we do.
The Xbox one is interesting. I thought that Xbox was still secure?

Honestly outside of battle royals i dont run into enough cheaters to stress about it. Funily enough the only confirmed cheaters i've ran into in Warzone were while playing on console. Had a team eliminate me from under the map. You can also see evidence of console cheating with just about any leaderboard such as Trials being loaded with impossible times. Diablo 3 is overran with cheaters on console and ive never seen one on pc.
I assume leaderboard hacking is done because the devs expose a web service which will just accept any POST as valid. The D3 situation is unique in that PC has dedicated servers, whereas console is P2P. Because it's possible to modify save games from last gen consoles, and because D3 lets you import characters from those versions, you can use that to edit old saves and get the hacked items into the current version of the game. Borderlands 1 & 2 are the same. However, last I checked current season D3 was always secure on PS4 and X1 (but not Switch) because you can't import characters from last gen into a current season.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I'm going to assume that in this scenario that there is absolutely no cheating at all on consoles and the whole K+B and unlocked frame rate.

I would say no because of the payed online. I used to play a lot of online FPS games in the past and in the last year or so I still do in the form of TF2 and CS:GO.

I have seen some cheaters in the games which have made playing them less fun but it's not an issue that I very frequently face.

I guess what would be an even bigger reason for me to switch to playing (and potentially even paying for online?) would be if there was a big player base for the game and if the devs were still active in the game.

I feel like the one advantage that PC has over console is the longevity of some online play.

You mentioned competitive FPS games and out of the big ones right now COD is the only one with a console focus and all of the other ones are on PC and still getting updated (so long term support) since that is where people play competitively (I think Japan is the only place that does competitive R6S since the game is very popular there, although I don't think Sony/PlayStation is as involved with that compared to what they do with COD).

There may be hackers but some PC games still have their online multiplayer up, where as on consoles it's no longer around for a lot of games.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with that, but at the same time it's not like every lobby on PC is loaded with cheaters. It happens to me so infrequently that I rarely even suspect someone doing it unless they are being blatant.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
if this was a thing during the ps3/360 gen, i probably wouldnt have built my first pc. after having pc become my main platform, im never switching back to a console. they'll stay strictly for exclusives.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I watched the first video and I see no hacking at all. Spectator mode is broken and plus the guy was potato aiming at 2:30

He could maybe be lagswitching but that's not console hacks.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Cheating isn't a big problem on PC. It's by far the most competitive platform in terms of games, genre variety, financial support, and audience; presently and historically.

This screams of platform-warring hyperbole. And it's not surprising here because despite their enormous popularity around the world, most of these games aren't talked about here.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that, but at the same time it's not like every lobby on PC is loaded with cheaters. It happens to me so infrequently that I rarely even suspect someone doing it unless they are being blatant.

Oh, I agree. The only time when I saw rampant cheating was during the PUBG 1.0 launch, and that was a very extreme scenario.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
No. Im not gonna downgrade my entire experience due to cheaters I will encounter very rarely.

Cheating isnt a big problem on PC, stop trying to make it to be. All pros play shooters on pc fine.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth mentioning that part of the reason cheating isn't so common on consoles is the big popular shooter esports aren't console games. In your theoretical scenario, you'd also need to acknowledge that the large hacking community that focuses the majority of its efforts on PC games would switch to your console games. This would inevitably increase the prevalence of cheats on consoles. Would it necessarily make cheating quite as common? Maybe? It's impossible to say. Whether cheating happens on console is partially a big dice roll on whether hackers decide to devote enough energy to your platform. Nintendo puts real effort into their security, whether you believe it or not, but people like hacking Nintendo consoles.

I'll also address the real point here. Cheating is not the biggest issue in the world. I've been PC gaming for a decade at this point, and I've seen hackers in my many hours in Counter-Strike, my shooter of choice. But cheating is not universal, or in every game. Especially with recent efforts like Valve's Prime and Trust Factor, I barely see cheaters anymore. And as someone who has done hundreds of Overwatch cases, I am well aware what a cheater looks like. Even pretending that cheating is a universal issue that ruins PC gaming is overdramatic. PC games are the biggest games in the world, despite cheaters. The reason why they have cheaters is because they're popular.

If you want to eliminate cheating, if that's your number one goal, the only logical end point is game streaming such as Stadia. There's literally nothing else that will work 100% of the time. As long as the game code is running on a machine that a cheater physically has access to, cheating will exist. And personally, that's not worth it. I don't even mean the quality issues with streaming. I mean the lack of software freedom. Modding? Dead. User file access? Dead. Software archival? Dead. Backwards compatibility? The games only last until they're removed from the service, like when Netflix's contracts end. And all of those points I mentioned apply mostly to consoles as well. Most PC gamers don't only care about graphics or framerate. The platform is free, open, and gives control that users want. And Steam is competitive with PSN and Xbox Live, so clearly it's not an experience people aren't willing to deal with.

If you want an idea of how reverse engineered consoles have been at this point, here's a talk on reverse engineering the PS4 from five years ago.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
No. I don't really see a lot of cheaters on PC tbh. Maybe every once in a while, and I just kind of laugh and move on. I think I've only seen obvious cheaters a handful of times on PC.

I own consoles and play on them too, but I like PC the best, I like building it, and upgrading/maintaining it. I just think it's cooler having custom hardware tailored to fit your needs. It's fun. I still like playing on PS4 with my friends, it's not always a a PC vs Console players thing, most PC players have consoles too imo.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Cheating isn't a big problem on PC. It's by far the most competitive platform in terms of games, genre variety, financial support, and audience; presently and historically.

This screams of platform-warring hyperbole. And it's not surprising here because despite their enormous popularity around the world, most of these games aren't talked about here.
Somehow there's no shortage of console-only folk who will claim that PC gaming is ride with cheaters, in every game. They know this from all their experience of not playing on PC.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
consoles that run Steam, can use mouse/kB, runs on my 144hz monitor, and don't have subscription paywall to play online? Ok I'll consider

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the inverse situation here. I'm a console player but I would switch to playing competitively on PC if PC games had more consistent cross play and input based matchmaking.

I only want to play with a controller. I have no interest in playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse. I really enjoy aiming with a controller, that's what I've learned to get good with and what I find comfortable. On PC playing with a controller can be hell, there are many games where it's very difficult to compete. I can play stuff like Apex Legends and do pretty well against PC players, but when I used to play Tribes Ascend it was a nightmare.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If all console games supported M+K and key remapping, I'd be more open to the idea of buying a console and having it sit next to my desktop, for any console exclusive games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nearly everything is better on pc in every category vs a console except a few exceptions that can be argued.

1. Exclusives
2. Ease of use

Why would I switch main platforms when I already have what you're saying. I run into a cheater maybe twice a month at most. I'll live. This is coming from someone who likes and owns all consoles btw but nobody is switching to consoles who enjoys competitive stuff it's the other way around.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nearly everything is better on pc in every category vs a console except a few exceptions that can be argued.

1. Exclusives
2. Ease of use

Why would I switch main platforms when I already have what you're saying. I run into a cheater maybe twice a month at most. I'll live. This is coming from someone who likes and owns all consoles btw but nobody is switching to consoles who enjoys competitive stuff it's the other way around.

I run into cheaters on almost a daily basis. I'm getting sick of it.

Theblackrain

Nov 8, 2017
Cheating is a big problem on PC. Call of Duty, CSGO, R6 Siege, Fortnite,...etc., they all suffer from cheaters on PC especially in high level play.

What if consoles, closed systems that don't have cheaters, supported high refresh rates and mouse and keyboard? Is there any reason for publishers not to take advantage of that to promote their competitive games? Esports even.

I've been playing competitive FPS games on PC for years, but I'd switch to consoles in a heartbeat if I can have high refresh rates, M&Kb, and guaranteed no cheaters.

Cheating is an issue on all platforms, not just PC. Is it a big problem? No.

Why would anyone switch to something they already have. It's redundant.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I don't play competitive shooters but for me the issue is not that you need to use a gamepad, the majority of the aiming issue for that can be solved with gyro aim so mouse+kb support is not needed. High refresh rate support should be standard already.

InPlosion

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Not in a million years.
Multiplayer held at ransom, no alt+tab into the rest of the world, no multi screen, and more and more.

It would make a better future for everyone for sure. Playing fps games with a controller is like picking up matches with boxing gloves, from my experience.
But no, I would stay on pc, only occasionally on console in order to enjoy some playtime with friends who do not have one. (Yeah, those who bought a console and a macbook, soo many friends like that).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No, Consoles don't even have CS:GO, which is hands down the best shooter on the market. The amount of cheaters is also exaggerated & they tend to come from 2 regions, in ranked play you probably won't be grouped up with chinese & russian players due to latency differences.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Why would I give up the freedom of PC to go to consoles where I have to pay a subscription to get all functionality?
Cheaters aren't even that prevalent in most games.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
No, Consoles don't even have CS:GO, which is hands down the best shooter on the market. The amount of cheaters is also exaggerated & they tend to come from 2 regions, in ranked play you probably won't be grouped up with chinese & russian players due to latency differences.

CS GO came out on 360 and PS3 iirc.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Why would I give up the freedom of PC to go to consoles where I have to pay a subscription to get all functionality?
Cheaters aren't even that prevalent in most games.
This

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Of the games I play, cheaters aren't a huge issue. CS:GO and Dota 2, I can count on one hand how many times I've encountered cheaters in the last year and I don't even have to use all the fingers. So no, I wouldn't use less powerful hardware that required me to pay to play online.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
CS:GO on Consoles never got updated, next your going to tell me to play TF2 on Consoles, which is probably better than Hats: the game it turned into on PC.
Tbh TF2 is a weird case where that vanilla experience is kinda... desirable, these days. It had a nice median of GaaS vs. vanilla before it went free-to-play, but now it's unrecognisable.

Edit: And, er, yes this is a really off-topic digression... but dang it I miss that era of TF2!

Last edited:

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the inverse situation here. I'm a console player but I would switch to playing competitively on PC if PC games had more consistent cross play and input based matchmaking.

I only want to play with a controller. I have no interest in playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse. I really enjoy aiming with a controller, that's what I've learned to get good with and what I find comfortable. On PC playing with a controller can be hell, there are many games where it's very difficult to compete. I can play stuff like Apex Legends and do pretty well against PC players, but when I used to play Tribes Ascend it was a nightmare.
Most crossplatform games tend to matchmake based on input method. Like Call of Duty feels so weird without a controller to me that I normally play with a controller.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Cheating is a big problem on PC. Call of Duty, CSGO, R6 Siege, Fortnite,...etc., they all suffer from cheaters on PC especially in high level play.

What if consoles, closed systems that don't have cheaters, supported high refresh rates and mouse and keyboard? Is there any reason for publishers not to take advantage of that to promote their competitive games? Esports even.

I've been playing competitive FPS games on PC for years, but I'd switch to consoles in a heartbeat if I can have high refresh rates, M&Kb, and guaranteed no cheaters.

Why on earth would I want to pay a subscription to play online multiplayer. Not to mention a lack of Discord.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Encountering cheaters is insanely exaggerated around here, and seems to orginate from people who don't play on PC (surprise surprise) or don't play PC oriented multiplayer games. Another issue is the feel of the mouse (mouselag, input delay), which is something many native PC games don't get right, nevermind console games with an afterthought KB/M mode. On PC you can mess with the settings to make it feel better, on consoles you're out of luck unless the develop gets involved. Which is unlikely.

Last edited:

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope not for a second for a variety of reasons.

Paying to play online. That can fuck right off.

Console FPS field of view is usually very small. PC you are able to change FOV. Even if its not in the game menu (which it usually is) you can usually ini tweak/console command.

Cheating on PC is wildly overstated on here. Wanna know how many times I've encountered a cheater on Overwatch or MW2019 since release? Once on each game. Once.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care much about the platform anymore and I'm fine playing on multiple platforms. But I do like the ability to have options, so I can have a multi monitor setup with something else on the 2nd screen. I can have options in graphical settings etc. These things are what attract me to PC gaming.

The single biggest disadvantage of PC multiplayer is hacking, which hasn't really been rampant on consoles since PS360 generation, and even there it was on the latter half of that gen when the JTAG Xbox mod came out, which was a hardware hack. Basically hacking on consoles is a lot of effort, and often out of reach for most people due to the complexity involved in doing it, hacking on PC isn't.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I would, not just because of no cheating but price/performance ratio. Next gen consoles has 1040+ dollars of GPU and CPU and they sell entire package at ~500 dollars. PC gaming is in serious trouble imo. Well 3A PC gaming at least.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
A Closed platform is a Closed platform. You feel the sense of restriction, even when they try to attempt to mask it.

Status
Not open for further replies.