Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
It's sounding more and more like this exact scenario as this whole saga goes on, and there's nothing insidious about that.

Exclusivity deals wouldn't be insidious, though, at least not any more than every other such deal that is routinely engaged in. It is hard for me to believe anyone would be using Wu Kong's exclusivity status as the arbiter of whether or not Sony is bad rather than the 30 years of history of such things and Microsoft's 25 year history of the same.

If there was one it almost certainly wouldn't have stipulated that it's existence cannot ever be revealed nor would they have instructed game science to make cagey statements. But it is possible that there is one despite this. Sometimes companies behave strangely.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That thread title change....lol.

This would be an incredible outcome because it means everyone is right, everyone is wrong, and everyone is simultaneously right and wrong based on how one personally defines the terms 'exclusive', 'deal', and 'tech issues'.

Be perfect if the unsure bit also had "including Paul Tassi" guven his last tweet on it. Though probably too long.

Now I agree with an earlier post...this is turning into a legendary thread.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
IMG-3171.gif
Exactly how I interpreted that last tweet. The acrid smell of bullshit is hard to hide.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sounding more and more like this exact scenario as the whole saga goes on, and there's nothing insidious about any of that.

I didn't know what to think when I first saw you post about the source being Xbox, but I can see it.
I thought it was likely them early on based on who would talk to Corden/Tassi and other American journos and who would benefit from pushing this cloak and dagger conspiracy.

Does "special thanks" count?
That's a bit unremarkable, usually if engineers are involved their names would get credited.

Having seen a screenshot of their special thanks mention in the credits, they are lumped in with Weibo, QQ, Facebook, Discord etc.

Steam and Epic are in there too.

I am even less convinced of this story now.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
this is such a non-issue lmao, the game's delayed either way

if there was a deal, I don't think there'd be so much cloak and dagger and straight up lying to people about some tech issues

but then again, fighting is entertaining so...

let-them-fight-dr-ishiro-serizawa.gif

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I think this is all a big confusion because there was the Wukong Xbox certification rumour. If that wasn't true, I can understand someone calling bullshit on it. And if Sony did anything to help port the game, that could also be interpreted as some sort of exclusive deal by others.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if there was a technical issue, would it not be with porting the game to the Series S and not X anyway? To my mind that's the reason for the whole delay. And there have been similar cases in the past too.

Microsoft chose that console release strategy and now they need to live with it. But these supposed insiders are going to twist and milk the issue for all its worth.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Would be funny if in about 4 weeks an Xbox version gets released after optimization is done and all of this turns out to be nothing and just insiders clout chasing.

But i have to say the chance that secret exclusives are real would be funnier.
I expected a lot of threads that call almost every Japanese game release a secret exclusive of Sony that was payed for by them.

Last edited:

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
So Sony basically provided additional aid to make sure the devs got the game out in time, while MS did not, and all this insider nonsense reporting otherwise is just them being misinformed at best and clout-chasing at worst. Got it.

Sep 15, 2023
So rumor is Aaron Greenberg is the leaker to IGN lol because he's pissed the game is not available on Xbox.

Also, how does MS/XBOX not have enough resources to send to Game Science to help with the Xbox version? They have one of the best if not game studios with UE5 knowledge. Makes no sense.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I mean, if there was a technical issue, would it not be with porting the game to the Series S and not X anyway? To my mind that's the reason for the whole delay. And there have been similar cases in the past too.

Microsoft chose that console release strategy and now they need to live with it. But these supposed insiders are going to twist and milk the issue for all its worth.
I think the thing that seems to make the most sense to me is that Sony helped get the PS5 port done on time. This doesn't mean there is any special issues with Xbox. Just they didn't prioritize the port or didn't get the same resources from the platform.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
They are really trying to push that it's not a tech issue.
Who is they? Do you know something that confirms this was a technical issue?

Because if this was just a technical issue delaying the Xbox release, I'm sure that some other journalist would come out and say something.

But right now, only one publication, IGN, has commented on this, and IGN is reporting that there was an exclusivity deal, which means something significant

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022

Wait.. what evidence is there for the consoles being the reason for the delay. Did you just make that up?

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is all a big confusion because there was the Wukong Xbox certification rumour. If that wasn't true, I can understand someone calling bullshit on it. And if Sony did anything to help port the game, that could also be interpreted as some sort of exclusive deal by others.

I know that people say "there's has been other cases of shadow exclusivity deals" but not presenting any example of other games in the same situation in the past, so i call this bullshit. There's no way that Sony paid for a exclusivity and not brag about it everywhere with their "play it first on PS5 console" they usually do.

Sony wanted the game to release on PS5 at the same time than PC version and paid for it. Microsost did not.

Im more and more on team #IGNsourceisxbox

Feb 16, 2022
So, my guess was accurate--it's something more akin to the deal MS got with Like a Dragon's next gen port back during this gen's launch.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I woke up and this got sillier. Twitter insiders trying to drag IGN too? This is a good case of maybe stop listening to insiders full stop. If you want to actually know what happened, IGN will update their story when available. Until then y'all still just speculating.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I woke up and this got sillier. Twitter insiders trying to drag IGN too? This is a good case of maybe stop listening to insiders full stop. If you want to actually know what happened, IGN will update their story when available. Until then y'all still just speculating.
Why should I trust IGN over anyone?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What's the score right now?

Leakers saying it's exclusive VS Leakers saying it isn't.
With Tassi backpedaling on if there is actually a deal and saying could just be part of a deal they made to helped with the port, it's now 4-3 I think.

We can probably safely say there is just no tech issue delaying the Xbox version at this point, as this is clearly coming from them after the random Twitter rumour blaming Series S. No way a probably very high up person at there would do this if not.

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Wait so Tassi is backpedaling now?

So it was a matter of Sony providing technical/development assistance that allowed Game Science to get the game out the door which Sony has been known for doing for years…..

Sometimes the true answers are the most obvious answers.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
The most confusing thing bout this whole thing is all this sourcing, aren't you supposed to have atleast 2 sources before publishing?

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
This would be an incredible outcome because it means everyone is right, everyone is wrong, and everyone is simultaneously right and wrong based on how one personally defines the terms 'exclusive', 'deal', and 'tech issues'.
Pretty much.
Especially the "tech issues" angle which changes everything whether you're talking about "general tech issues that were quicker to solve on PS due to deal/arrangement/assistance from Sony" or "tech issues specific to the Xbox version" (the premise of this very thread - edit: sorry I meant the premise of the previous thread with the initial report by extasis).

No matter what it's a real reporting mess on all accounts.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone translate this? The drama is funny to me.

"little by little the backpedaling is starting.
in the end when the truth about wukong unveils (that i reported on sunday and haven't changed anything about it) Will IGN or someone apologize for using my name with... shady intentions?"

Status
Not open for further replies.