Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
This has been some highly entertaining monkey business lol

I'm currently on team everybody's half right. Occams razor and all that it would be really weird for so many reporters to be entirely off-base & equally weird (if not more so) for Sony/GS to handle the situation in the way that's been implied

But it would be fairly normal for this to just be a general issue with the console ports that Sony simply happened to be more proactive about addressing & someone benignly shared info about the situation without providing enough context to avoid all the confusion and handwringing

Or something generally to that effect anyway who knows regardless my money is either on the truth being something entirely non-sexy & banal or la li lu le lo has struck again

Jul 7, 2023
Grubb never said there was a deal. He said they could have volunteered engineers to help get a port working on PS5. Which is pretty normal especially around launch or with devs not familiar with the console hardware.
I mean in order to have Sony engineers helping with development they would have to make some sort of agreement/deal (i.e. we will provide x number of engineers for x hours to help you reach x goals)

Result of this agreement was it launched on PS5 first

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
But I think some things get lost in translation. Sony made a deal with Game Science to prioritize their version. Anyone hearing that would likely report it as an exclusive. I'm not saying I entirely agree with calling it that but I can understand why people would

deal = exclusive
I guess what I'm saying is that's not even really a deal either, that's the platform holder supporting a game getting ported to their platform. I' not even reading this as "Sony said prioritize us" situation. If their was any priority in this scenario, it was probably made by the publisher to pick the financially better option for their game.

Like if Xbox gets the Capcom MT Framework issues fixed by supporting Capcom, that's just their support team's job, not a deal. Or when Xbox assisted to get BG3 ported over to Series consoles.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Game Science: We are having issues with the console versions, they are going to be delayed.
Playstation: How about we give you resources and people to ensure the PS5 version comes out on time?
Game Science: Sure!

It will be something like that. Which means everyone can be sort of half right.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I mean in order to have Sony engineers helping with development they would have to make some sort of agreement/deal (i.e. we will provide x number of engineers for x hours to help you reach x goals)

Result of this agreement was it launched on PS5 first
This is just trying to play semantics with agreement/deal now, that's just the job of a platform holder to provide support.

Jul 7, 2023
I guess what I'm saying is that's not even really a deal either, that's the platform holder supporting a game getting ported to their platform. I' not even reading this as "Sony said prioritize us" situation. If their was any priority in this scenario, it was probably made by the publisher to pick the financially better option for their game.

Like if Xbox gets the Capcom MT Framework issues fixed by supporting Capcom, that's just their support team's job, not a deal. Or when Xbox assisted to get BG3 ported over to Series consoles.
Yea they maybe didn't explicitly say "prioritize us" but that was the natural flow of things when Sony provided support.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Game Science: We are having issues with the console versions, they are going to be delayed.
Playstation: How about we give you resources and people to ensure the PS5 version comes out on time?

This is where I'm feeling like it lands where everyone was kinda-ish right.

Oct 25, 2017
"As far as I can tell" is such wishywashy noncommital language you would 100% expect from insiders hedging their bet. Maybe he said something different later, but the clip I watched had him say that several times.

If the deal is secret, why would someone be able to tell... lol. Just a weird situation there.

Oct 25, 2017
What this has turned into with the insiders lol.

tumblr_pu4mz9MEac1w1t2ixo7_540.gifv

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

lol this absolutely wouldn't make what im reading in the thread title anywhere near half right

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That's more reasonable to me, compared to stories like "Sony made an exclusive deal, without showing even a trailer at SoP with mentioning its exclusivity and they just want to show XSS as a bad console with a rumor!"

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
What a strange situation lol...

But yeah makes sense the "exclusivity" may have been Sony providing extra resources to get it on PS5 sooner vs a general console wide delay.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This rumor is completely ridiculous, zero thought went into writing it
What? This isn't even a rumor or one that should be easily dismissed... it was reported on by a reputable outlet, IGN, who has strong reporting standards and means that this shouldn't be taken lightly or easily dismissed. And it's not like any actual journalists have come out against the report either, it's all been Twitter accounts and influencers, although I guess it's worth pointing out that one person speaking out against the IGN story is a former reporter, but are not currently

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Not since the ABK merger have so many people been hoodwinked and felt the pain from both sides. But this happened in the span of a day and not 2 years😂.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
User Warned: Platform Warring
I'd say there is a Series S issue at least and MS is planting this to cover it up, they are the only one with interest in people thinking it's some shady deal and not some platform issue

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
I'm still waiting on a decent explanation as to why Sony is not proudly bragging about it like with all of their console exclusives. And no, "because China" won't work.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I'd say there is a Series S issue at least and MS is planting this to cover it up, they are the only one with interest in people thinking it's some shady deal and not some platform issue
Impressive the way some of y'all are comfortable calling an experienced reporter like Kat Bailey incompetent and/or compromised based solely on Tales from Your Asshole

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
After dealing with countless translation issues and miscommunications working in China for the last 13 years in my opinion Game Science was having trouble with the PS5 version and reached out to Sony for help. Sony gave them assistance which required to a contract being put in place. One of the devs knew about this and told somebody they had a "deal" with Sony and either didn't know the connotation of that word in English and how it would be interrupted or it came from a translation app.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
After dealing with countless translation issues and miscommunications working in China for the last 13 years in my opinion Game Science was having trouble with the PS5 version and reached out to Sony for help. Sony gave them assistance which required to a contract being put in place. One of the devs knew about this and told somebody they had a "deal" with Sony and either didn't know the connotation of that word in English and how it would be interrupted or it came from a translation app.
You guys have got to get this through your heads: when a journalist publishes a story saying a source told them X, that means a source told them X and they were able to independently confirm the validity of what the source told them.

They aren't just running to print believing whatever John ChineseDev told them via a half-baked pass through google translate

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
You guys have got to get this through your heads: when a journalist publishes a story saying a source told them X, that means a source told them X and they were able to independently confirm the validity of what the source told them.

They aren't just running to print believing whatever John ChineseDev told them via a half-baked pass through google translate

No. What? The IGN article doesn't say at all that they independently verified the existence of an exclusivity deal. It doesn't inherently mean that at all.

The source is good, I have no doubt, but there's nothing in that article to indicate that IGN independently verified it separately from the source.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
No. What? The IGN article doesn't say at all that they independently verified the existence of an exclusivity deal. It doesn't inherently mean that at all.

The source is good, I have no doubt, but there's nothing in that article to indicate that IGN independently verified it separately from the source.
This is just basic journalism. Reporters would constantly get misled if they simply took any source who came to them at face value. Anything they print that's sourced is either independently confirmed prior to publication or, in extremely limited circumstances, they will run it saying a source told them such-and-such but they were unable to confirm prior to publication.

Source: I am close friends with a senior reporter who has worked at multiple publications you've definitely heard of, have had multiple conversations with them on this topic, and done some limited verification of source material for articles they were working on in the past.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sure, question the source if you want, but 4 hours later neither Sony nor Game Science has refuted the story, and that alone is evidence the story has some truth to it.
Not to say that if there is a exclusive or not, but Gamescience doesnt like to give interviews and Sony doesn't care.
I doubt if anything comes out it will come from them

Status
Not open for further replies.