Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
Also also, the dick joke in episode 4 was tone deaf and gross: "Let's mock toxic masculinity by reinforcing and perpetuating toxic masculine ideals!"

I don't feel like that at all--the show has consistently busted out absurd/silly moments throughout, and it's a pretty hilarious visual gag that these cops have micropenises. It's kind of along the same lines as the end of the bachelor party episode, with the small cop. Is it a bit cliche or hacky, maybe, but it's done well and maintains the tone of the show.

This season is even better than the first, which is impressive, and I'd easily recommend it to anybody.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just found this show last night, it's hilariously dark. It's got a bunch of cringe but also great moments. I'm still in season 1, just finished episode 5 (Sad man in a suit).

I literally lol'd when he tried to kick the door down but fell down the stairs. Also loving the bromance, however short it may be, between his brother and the brother of the other guy. "There's beer on the boat!"

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the meta joke about train songs

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I've always taken this show to exist in a sort of serendipitous reality, kinda like Hannibal's purple prose reality. I watched season 1 like 5 days before this season, and I found this season to have a marked increase in focus if anything

Yeah, it definitely does take place in a more heightened reality than our own, one that sometimes even borders on "live action cartoon", but there was still a logic to it that I felt was sort of thrown out in season two.

The overall plot was simpler, but also sloppier and less interesting than the firsts'. There was no need to have so many of the side characters return for what ultimately amounted to nothing more than cameos to eat up screen time. Virtually none of the characters were actually friends so it didn't make sense for them to show up out of the blue to help with John's mission (which they didn't really even manage to do before they vanished because the writers had no idea what else to do with them). Episode 6 in particular felt almost entirely manufactured and inorganic. The mom and Icabod added nothing to the season, nor did the HR guy, the music guy, or Ron. The chauvinist cops had no reason to be there since the Skirts and Stockings were also sidelined and any sort of interesting gender commentary they had going there was squandered. The Three Stooge Cops amounted to nothing more than a gag (and a quick sentimental bit in the last episode that I liked).

Like, one of the best things about season one is that pretty much every side character existed in order to compound John's problems - they all served a greater purpose in addition to being funny or quirky or whatever. I don't feel like that was the case at all this season.

John's wife spent the whole season with nothing to do (after the bit at the airport in the first episode I had really hoped she would be brought into the fold but they immediately sidelined her until the last few moments of the final episode) and her kindred spirit friendship with Agathe was ignored completely. They also didn't do anything with Edward and Candahar's brother - it was such a missed opportunity to not have taken advantage of the strangely wonderful dynamics established between those characters during the first season. It's like they opted to do the least interesting things they possibly could have with everyone not named John (Leslie's arc was pretty good though, to be fair, but could also have used more screen time).

Agathe herself didn't even have much to do since they unfortunately kept her (and her plan) hidden from the audience for most of the season - a decision that ultimately did not pay off.

If they wanted a focused season, then they should have made a focused season: Leave all the random side characters who had nowhere else to be back in season one and move forward with a mostly new supporting cast who are actually connected to what's happening or at least develop and enrich the character dynamics that popped during season one (wife and Agathe, Edward and Candahar's brother, John and Agathe, Tom and Leslie). The Ed x Dennis scenes were sort of what I'm talking about but they too could have used a little more time together.

Anyway, it might sound like I'm super down on the season, but I thought it was still pretty good overall - several brilliant moments, but nowhere near as stellar and cohesive as the first season. The ending would more or less work as a series finale, which it might have to considering the creator Steve Conrad has a new show at Epix and Michael Dorman is in first position to For All Mankind.

I don't feel like that at all--the show has consistently busted out absurd/silly moments throughout, and it's a pretty hilarious visual gag that these cops have micropenises.

The implication is that these men are the way that they are because of their penises - an idea that is pervasive in media as well as real life even though it's just toxic masculinity garbage that totally undermines what the show was actually trying to say on the subject.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Shit just bumped an old thread. Just finsihed the new season and loved it. Any word on season 3?

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first three eps of season 2 and I am hooked again! Wish I had more time to watch tv!

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Shit just bumped an old thread. Just finsihed the new season and loved it. Any word on season 3?

There was a bit from earlier this year that said the show was renewed (I think it was mentioned during TCA or something) but there was never an official announcement from Amazon. The creator has a new show over at Epix (Our Lady, LTD) and Michael Dorman is in first position to For All Mankind at Apple, so I think a third season is unlikely or at least a very long way off.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm addicted to the way the stinger leads into the season 2 credits

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Shit that's too bad, wish more people watched it, but I don't know how to explain to other people why I like it so much lol

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of my favorite shows ever! Thank you very very much for making this thread. I recommend it to everyone but I never would've know about season 2 since no one but me talks about it or advertises it!

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit that's too bad, wish more people watched it, but I don't know how to explain to other people why I like it so much lol

"Sell them on the structure. You can talk about it with confidence. Keep it simple. A little something like this, John."

Or, alternatively, tell them that it's about the tremendous difficulty inherent in simply transporting any entity from A to B.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the first season thanks to you guys. Finished the first two episodes. It's both hilarious and soul crushing. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Also, maybe I'm just forgetting things that happened last season, but when did
the wife find out that she knew Agathe? Also, why did Ichabod show up with the mom?

She found out in Season 1.

Tom showed up and warned her. It's why she didn't send an email asking for the name of the single.

Tom also asked Ichabod to being mom from Luxembourg to Paris. There's no particular reason that I can tell why she couldn't travel alone. I think they just liked the actor.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
She found out in Season 1.

Tom showed up and warned her. It's why she didn't send an email asking for the name of the single.

Tom also asked Ichabod to being mom from Luxembourg to Paris. There's no particular reason that I can tell why she couldn't travel alone. I think they just liked the actor.

A couple days ago I was still wondering about that so I rewatched the scene where she finds the paper while Agathe is in the shower and I was like "Oh yeah".

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
We are now through episode 5.

I loved season 1 I enjoyed it's pacing and unique storytelling ability and season 2 is quite a bit different.

But damn if it's still not brilliant, clever, funny and dark.

You can see it's not made for the long term but damn I'm enjoying the ride. It really is genius.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen a show where the protagonist is as obviously and cripplingly depressed as in this show. It's pretty sad, honestly. It crushed me when he was having fun at the bachelor party and then he found out he had to do that assassination, and just resigned himself to it.

I also feel bad about his fingers. I always get really disturbed by characters being permanently maimed. I expected them just to be gone, and when they sewed them back on I thought it was a little strange for the show to have it work out for the characters... then the reveal...

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm halfway through episode 4 and after only having watched the first two episodes on the side and not really focusing on it, I'm just super confused right now.

Why did Eddy and Dennis stage the kidnapping again?
Who is the veterenarian fixing Dennis' fingers?
Why is the kid still with John's wife after they already met Agathe in the Café?
What happened to the money and why aren't they trying to retrieve it? Or are they?

I know super stupid questions but I didn't pay attention to the first episodes at all but also don't really want to rewatch the episodes.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through episode 4 and after only having watched the first two episodes on the side and not really focusing on it, I'm just super confused right now.

Why did Eddy and Dennis stage the kidnapping again?
Who is the veterenarian fixing Dennis' fingers?
Why is the kid still with John's wife after they already met Agathe in the Café?
What happened to the money and why aren't they trying to retrieve it? Or are they?

I know super stupid questions but I didn't pay attention to the first episodes at all but also don't really want to rewatch the episodes.

So they could get the money and throw it in the river so John could go home. (which is a really dumb plan)
She's Edward's wife/girlfriend - mother of his child.
I think that's explained later in the season.
Agathe has it. They're trying to get it by holding her daughter hostage but Agathe isn't interested in trading it in exchange for her daughter.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I love Patriot, and s2 did not disappoint. Top song is in ep3 when John is going to the store. Honestly, this show is basically done by watchmakers... all these tiny moving parts that fit together beautifully.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I love Patriot, and s2 did not disappoint. Top song is in ep3 when John is going to the store. Honestly, this show is basically done by watchmakers... all these tiny moving parts that fit together beautifully.
Agreed watchmakers is a great description it really is an amazing show.

also agree with you on that song I was cracking up and at the same time sad for him it was great

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Man, when they were all stoned, and talked the big dude into attacking the cops because they were dissing model trains, I completely lost it. Best show in my mind for capturing the absurd/bizarre/tragedy/hilarious weirdness of life, but in concentrated form. And the music. Wish there were more seasons, but it seems like this is the end, and it will just remain a hidden gem.

Season One : 11/10
Season Two : 9/10

Whereas Jack Ryan I got bored and couldn't finish. Goliath season one was fairly good, season two was a shit sundae.

Oct 27, 2017
I my wife and I just started and finished this show over the last 10 days. Completely outstanding. Shame that it doesn't seem to get the love it deserves. Will watch again.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Very interesting little show. It definitely goes at it's own weird little pace. I'm just one season 1 right now. Only two real negative things are to me 1. In real life his ass would have been fired at mcmillian at that first fuck up and he's being given too many chances, 2. Half the show is Lakeman just staring off into space like he's completely disconnected from reality.

Still very compelling and attention grabbing.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Very interesting little show. It definitely goes at it's own weird little pace. I'm just one season 1 right now. Only two real negative things are to me 1. In real life his ass would have been fired at mcmillian at that first fuck up and he's being given too many chances, 2. Half the show is Lakeman just staring off into space like he's completely disconnected from reality.

Still very compelling and attention grabbing.
Yes I think the disconnect is to show you his depression of what he is assigned to do. Contrasted against his higher calling which is to chill and make folk music.

So his sense of duty to country or his father or for whatever reasons drive him forward but his complete detachment from the horrible things he sometimes has to do puts him into a sense of shock.

He still hasn't gotten over the maid mistake he made in episode 1.

then of course add into that that he's hardly slept and gotten hit on the head about nine times in the first two seasons LOL

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Freeze mudderfucker!

What a great show. Terrific use of music and beautifully directed. Michael Dorman will be a big star in a few years.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I'm LTTP since I just finished with Season 1 last night.

What a fucking ride that was.

It's amazing how John's assignments always had bad intel almost every step of the way, but at the same time when he was supplied with good intel, he's either too distracted by his other loose ends or there's some other unaccounted extenuating circumstances in his way. There was a little scene towards the end of S1 that shows John having a breakdown in the McMillan parking lot which I think was really good.

On to S2 tonight.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I'm LTTP since I just finished with Season 1 last night.

What a fucking ride that was.

It's amazing how John's assignments always had bad intel almost every step of the way, but at the same time when he was supplied with good intel, he's either too distracted by his other loose ends or there's some other unaccounted extenuating circumstances in his way. There was a little scene towards the end of S1 that shows John having a breakdown in the McMillan parking lot which I think was really good.

On to S2 tonight.
Congrats on finding one of the most criminally under-watched shows of all time

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
Woa. That was an amazing ride. I just randomly started watching last week and just finished s2. How the hell does Steven Conrad do all of the stuff in this show?!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell does Steven Conrad do all of the stuff in this show?!

Because he's a McMillan man.

I also watched both seasons recently for the first time. It's such a brilliant show. An utterly bizarre and wonderful trip from start to finish. I did prefer season 1 to 2, though. Season 2 dropped a lot of the deadpan black humour that season 1 had (intentionally so and went to much darker places as a result, so much so that it got quite uncomfortable at times!) but it was a great season for different reasons.

Kurtwood Smith is also fucking amazing in this.

Last edited:

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
I've been subbed to this thread from the beginning, never watched a single episode of this show. Sounds like a good watch.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
PSA:

Steven Conrad (creator of Patriot) has a new show coming out on Epix this Sunday called 'Perpetual Grace, LTD' starring Jimmi Simpson, Ben Kingsley, and Jacki Weaver (with lots of Patriot actors doing small roles).

There aren't a whole lot of reviews thus far, but Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter raved about it and said it draws strong comparisons to Patriot.

You can subscribe to Epix Now for $5.99 a month, so at the very least you can binge it once it's over for relatively cheap.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
PSA:

Steven Conrad (creator of Patriot) has a new show coming out on Epix this Sunday called 'Perpetual Grace, LTD' starring Jimmi Simpson, Ben Kingsley, and Jacki Weaver (with lots of Patriot actors doing small roles).

There aren't a whole lot of reviews thus far, but Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter raved about it and said it draws strong comparisons to Patriot.

You can subscribe to Epix Now for $5.99 a month, so at the very least you can binge it once it's over for relatively cheap.

I made an OT for it:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
season 2 was awful. can't say i care

if it was cancelled after season 1 i'd have been pretty devastated though

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The mission was over and they didn't seem to know what to do with season 2, so I can't be too mad. Still liked and would recommend the show though.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno how I missed out on this show, gonna check it out after seeing the trailer.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping this thread would be about a season three, I loved it. This and Barry have been the best shows I've seen lately. I'll sub to epix for that Perpetual Grace show later on as recommended the ads on tv seemed good.