AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
patriot.jpg

I didn't know if this had been renewed for a second season after all and just saw on Facebook an ad for Season 2!

If you haven't checked out season 1, it is one of the most darkly entertaining and intense comedic dramas in a very long time.

The premise: John, a CIA operative gets embedded with a steel company in Milwaukee who has suspected ties to funding terrorism or money laundering (I can't remember exactly which is the case). The mission is run by John's father, with the aid of his non-CIA, congressman good-natured brother. Unfortunately for everyone involved, John is woefully depressed and unable to adequately prepare himself mentally or emotionally for the rigors of the mission.

Shenanigans occur, some people are injured or die. Folk music is played, recorded, and shared, and emotions are felt.

I don't want to spoil anything else but to say that it is an incredibly underrated show. Especially if you like dry, black humor.

The soundtrack is really good, too (picture above).

patriot-push.gif

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
What Mollymauk said.
I refuse to believe that we are getting a third season, so I am going to savor every second of this show.
The wait since Feb of 2017 has been too long.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Really a slow burn type of show but when it clicks and it all comes together it is amazing. Definitely one of my favourite new shows. Masterful black comedy and twists.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
patriot.jpg

I didn't know if this had been renewed for a second season after all and just saw on Facebook an ad for Season 2!

If you haven't checked out season 1, it is one of the most darkly entertaining and intense comedic dramas in a very long time.

The premise: John, a CIA operative gets embedded with a steel company in Milwaukee who has suspected ties to funding terrorism or money laundering (I can't remember exactly which is the case). The mission is run by John's father, with the aid of his non-CIA, congressman good-natured brother. Unfortunately for everyone involved, John is woefully depressed and unable to adequately prepare himself mentally or emotionally for the rigors of the mission.

Shenanigans occur, some people are injured or die. Folk music is played, recorded, and shared, and emotions are felt.

I don't want to spoil anything else but to say that it is an incredibly underrated show. Especially if you like dry, black humor.

The soundtrack is really good, too (picture above).

patriot-push.gif

Sounds right up my alley actually.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this existed but will be checking it out thanks to this thread. Thanks OP.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's why he was embedded with that company.

John got hired with that company because he needed a non-official cover since the nature of his mission meant the CIA couldn't be involved in the usual manner.

He needed to visit Amsterdam with a boatload of cash to deliver in secret to another agent from Iran to fund the political opposition party and prevent nuclear armament. The trouble starts when the money is stolen at the airport but it doesn't end there.

I've been wondering if this was ever getting a second season so this is great news. Such an absurd and dark comedy, I've loved every minute of it.

Ghostbound

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This is such a criminally underrated show. I'm glad it got renewed for a second season, though I don't expect it to get a third. Nobody I know has even heard of it.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's why he was embedded with that company.

John got hired with that company because he needed a non-official cover since the nature of his mission meant the CIA couldn't be involved in the usual manner.

He needed to visit Amsterdam with a boatload of cash to deliver in secret to another agent from Iran to fund the political opposition party and prevent nuclear armament. The trouble starts when the money is stolen at the airport but it doesn't end there.

I've been wondering if this was ever getting a second season so this is great news. Such an absurd and dark comedy, I've loved every minute of it.

Lol, I think you correct or more correct. I haven't watched it since it premiered but will definitely be going back through it now that the new season is weeks away!

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys see the season 2 trailer?

I can't believe it's finally coming out after the first season came out 3 years ago

Tell me... Are you a Macmillan man?

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unironically like these songs:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Crap, I shouldn't have watched that trailer. It looks really good though.

I've been rewatching the first season in anticipation. Still as good the second time around.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I universally loved the music of the show and am hoping they nail it in season 2, as well. Seriously psyched!

MaritalWheat

Oct 28, 2017
Woah, I had completely forgotten about this show. What a great surprise.

S1 felt like a TV version of In Bruges, in the best way possible

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I did not know it was renewed for a second season, I am excited for this, I enjoyed season 1 very much.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck yes! Finally watched season one a month or two ago and had no idea this got another season.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
oh shit

my friends showed me this like a year ago it was amazing. The office happy go lucky coworker is my favorite.

LOL same :) 'look at my muscles!' hahahaha

This show is one of the best kept secrets out there. I keep introducing it to people, everyone loves it, but it's so under the radar.

It really really pays off through the series. I have so many feels for the main character. He hates his job, just wants to be at peace and do his thing (music etc), but keeps trying to so his job anyway, and things just keep getting shittier for him.

Pumped for S2, but also a tiny bit worried because i felt like S1 was something of a mini masterpiece.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The second season is far and away my favorite show of 2018. It's eight hours of a hilarious but incredibly dark look into someone falling apart right in front of us. It has a different feel compared to the first season, but it's such a unique and unified voice that's like nothing else on TV right now. Definitely watch it! The sixth episode is the best of the bunch, so much fun.

Watch this show, everyone!

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are all John Lakeman

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Up to episode 5, stopping here for the night - this season is like 10x better than the first season so far, and I loved the first season

It's like the leftovers season 2 good

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh, I bumbed the lttp thread because I didn't see this thread even though I searched for it. I musta hit the "next page" button inbetween the thread going from 2 to 1. Or a to b...

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 spoilers

man that shit was so fucked up it wasn't easy

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea 2nd season was even a thing. Will definitely queu it up after Designated Survivor

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I am so excited this back! Both this and season 3 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Vintage month for underdog tv!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Lmao

When Be hits himself in the face with the sock full of European dimes to test it as she's getting close. That was so fucking perfect.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

When Be hits himself in the face with the sock full of European dimes to test it as she's getting close. That was so fucking perfect.

The mixture of suspense and comedy is something I didn't know I always wanted

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How did the money actually get back to John? And why was the hit called off? Am I supposed to know that as part of the audience or is that supposed to be intentionally ambiguous? Otherwise I thought it was an excellent season

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I have like 9 things I have to do tomorrow, but by golly, I am starting Season 2 RIGHT NOW!

Psyched!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, 4 episodes in and this season so far isn't really doing it for me. It's still pretty funny but the plot isn't anywhere near as tight as the first's and there's also a marked increase in the amount of coincidences that only serve to get John out of trouble ("Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating"). The first season may have had a few moments like that but there wasn't anything too egregious from what I can recall, while here they feel, well, like cheating (and I swear there's been one in every episode so far).

Also, maybe I'm just forgetting things that happened last season, but when did
the wife find out that she knew Agathe? Also, why did Ichabod show up with the mom?

Also also, the dick joke in episode 4 was tone deaf and gross: "Let's mock toxic masculinity by reinforcing and perpetuating toxic masculine ideals!"

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't know, 4 episodes in and this season so far isn't really doing it for me. It's still pretty funny but the plot isn't anywhere near as tight as the first's and there's also a marked increase in the amount of coincidences that only serve to get John out of trouble ("Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating"). The first season may have had a few moments like that but there wasn't anything too egregious from what I can recall, while here they feel, well, like cheating (and I swear there's been one in every episode so far).

Also, maybe I'm just forgetting things that happened last season, but when did
the wife find out that she knew Agathe? Also, why did Ichabod show up with the mom?

Also also, the dick joke in episode 4 was tone deaf and gross: "Let's mock toxic masculinity by reinforcing and perpetuating toxic masculine ideals!"

I've always taken this show to exist in a sort of serendipitous reality, kinda like Hannibal's purple prose reality. I watched season 1 like 5 days before this season, and I found this season to have a marked increase in focus if anything

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Finished this up in a day, loved it. Roll on season three.