• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final Kickstarter Total Prediction

• < $1,900,000

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • $1,900,000 - $1,950,000

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • $1,950,000 - $2,000,000

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • $2,000,000 - $2,050,000

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • $2,050,000 - $2,100,000

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • $2,100,000 - $2,150,000

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • > $2,150,000

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I almost never play fighters, but my main character in Kingmaker was a fighter. The number of guests available give room for a lot of variation.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no previous experience with the Pathfinder franchise.

I loved Divinity 2, current loving Wasteland 3 and overall love tactical turn battles, i assume this is for me, my question is how Pathfinder sets itself apart from other games of the genre.

Build-craft, I guess. There's a basically unlimited number of class/subclass combinations through multiclassing that combine with items and racial perks to give you pretty absurd leeway to craft a cool party. There's as much dense numberwang as you could want in a game.

For the cRPGs they've also been set apart somewhat by their meta layers. In the first game you were managing a kingdom and building towns, in this second game you're playing a simplified version of Heroes of Might and Magic on the strategy layer.

To this answer I'd also add that Kingmaker, at least, really leaned into continuity of space and (especially) time - unlike most RPGs, it covers literally half a decade of in-game time more or less moment by moment, with events occurring (or failing) at specified dates. Like the kingdom management, this is divisive, perhaps shading into unpopular: many months can pass without much happening in your kingdom, and many players find timed quests stressful rather than fun.

I loved it, though, and thought it harmonized nicely with the kingdom management function. The timers are very forgiving -- it's more or less impossible to fail one unless you deliberately ignore the thing the game's plot is telling you to do -- and the fact that your character moves continuously in time and space through a massive game world provides an unusual sense of immersion. Kingmaker is obviously heavily influenced by BG2 and its successors, but even BG2 does not attempt to unfurl its plot of the course of in-game years.

For example, I liked Divinity 2 a lot, but each region is frozen in time, and operates like a set piece of sorts. Kingmaker, by contrast, has continuous day/night and seasonal cycles that connect to both the game's story and the kingdom management, and each area is a specific place on a massive map, which you have to travel to and from. For me, that really upped the immersion, even though there are indisputably points in the game where the narrative drags, as you're just passing time in your capital initiating kingdom events while waiting for an in-game timer to click.

It's also unusually flexible and responsive in its reactivity to player choice, alignment, etc., I think. As you can probably tell, I really liked Kingmaker, more than any of the recent cRPGs that I've tried. It's definitely not for everyone, though, and the things that pleased me may well frustrate someone else. Also, I have deliberately avoided most information about Wrath of the Righteous, so some of what I wrote above may not even apply to the sequel.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, anyone got a list of all the companions' classes? Do we know all the potential companions yet? I guess I could at least try and pick a class for my characters that isn't covered by the companions.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what kind of absurd builds Legend allows. I still have absolutely no idea what I'm planning to do.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, anyone got a list of all the companions' classes? Do we know all the potential companions yet? I guess I could at least try and pick a class for my characters that isn't covered by the companions.
These are all the known ones, I believe.
Camellia - Shaman - Spirit Hunter
Arueshalae - Ranger - Espionage Expert
Seelah - Paladin
Lann - Monk - Zen Archer
Ember - Witch - Stigmatized Witch
Woljif - Rogue - Eldritch Scoundrel
Daeran - Oracle
Sosiel - Cleric
Regill - Armiger - Hell Knight
Wenduag - Fighter
Nenio - Scroll Savant
Delamere - Ranger
Greybor - Slayer

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous |OT| Wrath of the Rerolls

Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous |OT| Swarm-That-Quicksaves

Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous |OT| I Put 1 Level in Monk When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip

I'm a very dumb person.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Seelah - Paladin
Lann - Monk - Zen Archer
Daeran - Oracle
Sosiel - Cleric
Wenduag - Fighter
Nenio - Scroll Savant
Delamere - Ranger
Greybor - Slayer

Thanks! Aww yeah, no regular monks. Definitely gonna go that route with the PC, then. Easily one of my fav classes, at least on a conceptual level. Punch gods to death!

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks! Aww yeah, no regular monks. Definitely gonna go that route with the PC, then. Easily one of my fav classes, at least on a conceptual level. Punch gods to death!

Monk actually has some interesting synergy with lich:

Death Rush gives 1d6 x Mythic Rank on charge and combat maneuvers, which works well with leg sweep (1 free trip a round) and pummeling style (full attack on charge, another free trip whenever you full attack)

Weapon of Death gives Bane - Living to your fists, nice to have some actual weapon enchants on fists

Decaying Touch gives some extra damage on natural attacks, but more importantly 1 point of strength damage. Not actually sure how relevant this will end up being, but attribute damage can be a nice alternate way of killing things if straight up damage isn't getting the job done. Especially on a monk with their high number of attacks. Could do something like take Close to Demons for your first two mythic levels (don't have to take the death one even if you go lich) to get the extra gore natural attack. Maybe mix with a motherless tiefling for another bite, and good stat synergy with Monk.

Also, Lich gives full arcane caster level, and easy access to mage armor, which is amazing for monks with the Archmage Armor mythic. The one thing that might be somewhat awkward is caster attribute; not sure if the final game is going for intelligence for non-merged spellbooks, or based off mythic rank.

Haven't played an evil character in an rpg in forever, since original KotOR I think, but tempted to make this build my first playthrough.

Feb 19, 2018
I've worked a bit on an incomplete/first draft of an OT.

I'd appreciate any feedback/editing/spell checking/additions. Give me some good FAQ material.

Thanks!
Looks like a good, solid effort. Maybe some links to build guides to help new players out (particularly good lore friendly ones focusing on optimizing the story companions without multi-classing, by e.g. avoiding trap feats that do nothing), but already postable as it is, the placeholder FAQ section aside.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe some links to build guides to help new players out (particularly good lore friendly ones focusing on optimizing the story companions without multi-classing, by e.g. avoiding trap feats that do nothing)

Thanks for the feedback. And if you know where these are please let me know! Unfortunately a lot of the demand for Pathfinder builds seems to be from the min/max InEffect types. Which is cool and all, but yeah not idea for new players.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Curious how they handle the turn based mode. In PoE2 they had you choose in the beginning since they rebalanced the turn based mode. This, like Kingmaker will allow you to change on the fly, which is really cool but does that mean they didn't make any balancing changes in the turn based mode? I haven't played through kingmaker (on my list) yet so I'm not sure.

Vaporak

Banned
Jan 30, 2018
I went ahead and claimed the OT since no one else jumped on it. It won't be beautiful, as I have literally no capabilities when it comes to art or image editing, but it'll be informative!

Come up with some good OT names.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Min/Maxers.

Seelah - Paladin
Lann - Monk - Zen Archer
Daeran - Oracle
Sosiel - Cleric
Wenduag - Fighter
Nenio - Scroll Savant
Delamere - Ranger
Greybor - Slayer

Small correction here from a beta player. Delamere is not a companion and there's one other late companion that I heard was added in after I stopped playing but I won't spoil who.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I supported the Kickstarter and tried the game out a while back. To get the full copy will that be covered in the OT ? I don't think I saw an email with a code yet to unlock the full version.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I supported the Kickstarter and tried the game out a while back. To get the full copy will that be covered in the OT ? I don't think I saw an email with a code yet to unlock the full version.

Ah good idea. I'll add that to the FAQ.

Codes haven't been released yet and I don't think it'll be by email. Follow the link below, sign up for the backer portal if you haven't yet (though I guess you probably have if you played the beta) and the key will appear there whenever they release them.

Also they said that (unsurprisingly) physical KS rewards will be delayed a bit, but you'll still get a code by release to play.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah good idea. I'll add that to the FAQ.

Codes haven't been released yet and I don't think it'll be by email. Follow the link below, sign up for the backer portal if you haven't yet (though I guess you probably have if you played the beta) and the key will appear there whenever they release them.

Also they said that (unsurprisingly) physical KS rewards will be delayed a bit, but you'll still get a code by release to play.

Yeah it shows I have the pre release beta key I used, and all the things I unlocked. (Copy of game, art, discord role etc etc)

Wasn't sure if we had to do anything else other than wait patiently.

Hoping performance is better than when I last tried and more voice acting is prevalent.

This is the kind of game like Disco Elysium, where fully voiced would send it into the stratosphere.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Monk actually has some interesting synergy with lich:

Death Rush gives 1d6 x Mythic Rank on charge and combat maneuvers, which works well with leg sweep (1 free trip a round) and pummeling style (full attack on charge, another free trip whenever you full attack)

Weapon of Death gives Bane - Living to your fists, nice to have some actual weapon enchants on fists

Decaying Touch gives some extra damage on natural attacks, but more importantly 1 point of strength damage. Not actually sure how relevant this will end up being, but attribute damage can be a nice alternate way of killing things if straight up damage isn't getting the job done. Especially on a monk with their high number of attacks. Could do something like take Close to Demons for your first two mythic levels (don't have to take the death one even if you go lich) to get the extra gore natural attack. Maybe mix with a motherless tiefling for another bite, and good stat synergy with Monk.

Also, Lich gives full arcane caster level, and easy access to mage armor, which is amazing for monks with the Archmage Armor mythic. The one thing that might be somewhat awkward is caster attribute; not sure if the final game is going for intelligence for non-merged spellbooks, or based off mythic rank.

Haven't played an evil character in an rpg in forever, since original KotOR I think, but tempted to make this build my first playthrough.

Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting. But also... Not sure I want to go full on lich on my first playthrough, so maybe I should leave the monk for that playthrough and pick something else on my first one.

Hmm. Maybe barbarian. Something relatively simple that just smacks things to death would be nice for sure.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting. But also... Not sure I want to go full on lich on my first playthrough, so maybe I should leave the monk for that playthrough and pick something else on my first one.

Hmm. Maybe barbarian. Something relatively simple that just smacks things to death would be nice for sure.

I'm sure there are other synergies for monk besides lich; You can actually get a lot of extra damage on hit from Angel from things like sword of heaven and buff spells like sun marked, and sword of heaven has an upgrade that is kinda Haste++, in that it gives 2 more attacks. Combined with greater flurry, you've got 5 attacks at highest BAB.

I always felt like barbarians were kinda weak in Kingmaker due to the increased amount of combat compared to tabletop, with there not being a compensatory increase in the number of rounds they could rage, but Wrath fixes this by virtue of a mythic ability that gives infinite rage (and extra temp hp based on how much rage you have total). Could also run Bloodrager, run Arcane bloodline for permanent haste or displacement while you're raging (which is always), or Abyssal for free enlarge person and big strength boost. Or take a second bloodline via another mythic ability and do both.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably test my builds the same as I did in Kingmaker, by using the Toy Box cheat mod (like Bag of Tricks) to level up to 20 immediately, go through the leveling process to see what works, then just take a screen capture of the feats taken on the character page and following that as I level. This opposed to following a build or anything.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hadnt even considered kung fu fighting Skeleton Man.

That would be a pretty fun one with only class armor appearance toggled on.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I've worked a bit on an incomplete/first draft of an OT.

I'd appreciate any feedback/editing/spell checking/additions. Give me some good FAQ material.

Thanks!

You undersold yourself when it comes to making an OT. That looks amazing. My only worry is that perhaps it can be slightly overwhelming for people not used to Pathfinder or CRPGs in general. Although you can argue it being so in-depth and detailed is a good thing for those looking to get into it. You don't really mention the crusade system at all. Not sure if it's appropriate to add a section for it though since the OT is already very robust. But it should probably be mentioned. Again, the OT is already long and robust but I feel like a tips & tricks section for new players could be very helpful. It can't be understated enough that for people who have limited or no knowledge of these types of games will probably need some help in order for their playthrough to go smooth.

Some unedited FAQ questions:

Do you need to have played Kingmaker first in order to play WotR? (you slightly touch on it already but probably needs to be in the faq)

I have no idea how to build a character, are there any links to simple build guide? (This could be a good place to link some newbie builds)

What is the Crusade system? (Maybe some simple HoMM comparison could be made here?)

Should I play in turn based or RtwP? (Obviously it's up to personal preference but perhaps it's good to mention that turn based is probably better and less hard for newcomers and gives them an easier time to get accustomed to the Pathfinder ruleset).

Are there romances available?

That's all I have for now. Great job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
You undersold yourself when it comes to making an OT. That looks amazing. My only worry is that perhaps it can be slightly overwhelming for people not used to Pathfinder or CRPGs in general. Although you can argue it being so in-depth and detailed is a good thing for those looking to get into it. You don't really mention the crusade system at all. Not sure if it's appropriate to add a section for it though since the OT is already very robust. But it should probably be mentioned.

Some unedited FAQ questions:

Do you need to have played Kingmaker first in order to play WotR? (you slightly touch on it already but probably needs to be in the faq)

I have no idea how to build a character, are there any links to simple build guide? (This could be a good place to link some newbie builds)

What is the Crusade system? (Maybe some simple HoMM comparison could be made here?)

That's all I have for now. Great job.

Thanks, but that's mostly because Owlcat did the .gifs already!

I wanted to do a section for the crusade system, but I haven't played any of it myself and what's been in the beta has been pretty buggy and/or incomplete, so I haven't found much in the way of guides either. I'll add a section with a high level overview and flesh it out when we know more.

And yeah I'm getting together some guide links for the FAQ.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks, but that's mostly because Owlcat did the .gifs already!

I wanted to do a section for the crusade system, but I haven't played any of it myself and what's been in the beta has been pretty buggy and/or incomplete, so I haven't found much in the way of guides either. I'll add a section with a high level overview and flesh it out when we know more.

And yeah I'm getting together some guide links for the FAQ.

Like I said, you're too humble. I just added some stuff to my post probably after you read it so you could throw a glance at it again if you like. You can DM me if you need any help looking up material. Can't wait for the OT!

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
What I'm hoping is that some newb guides go up this week before launch. Fextralife uploaded one this morning, and it has some good information, but also maybe leaves some stuff out? I guess net/net it's still helpful if you've never played the game.

But yeah, watching this reinforced how much bullshit I've just internalized from playing D&D and cRPGs for 30 years lol.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Are the mythic paths alignment-restricted? I know Lich pretty much demands you be a real nasty bastard, and I'm also assuming you can't be like a lawful good Demon/Devil?

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Are the mythic paths alignment-restricted? I know Lich pretty much demands you be a real nasty bastard, and I'm also assuming you can't be like a lawful good Demon/Devil?

Yeah they end up pulling you into a small band of alignments. Like I think you can choose Lich as a LG character but then you're going to do a lot of evil shit to get there and your alignment will shift a lot. Legend might be the exception.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Another important question: If you are a Hunter who goes Azata path, can you have both a Dinosuar and Dragon pet out at the same time?

Jul 7, 2021
Hey guys I'm continuing my King maker playthrough but I can't find an answer to this: I remember that I was able to cast healing spells on the fly with my cleric, so I never had to actually prepare them.

But I don't remember how I was able to do this. Does anyone know?

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
What I'm hoping is that some newb guides go up this week before launch. Fextralife uploaded one this morning, and it has some good information, but also maybe leaves some stuff out? I guess net/net it's still helpful if you've never played the game.

But yeah, watching this reinforced how much bullshit I've just internalized from playing D&D and cRPGs for 30 years lol.

I think the general tips from the video is decent and maybe they should've expanded on that rather than having half the video being how damage is calculated. We probably won't get a better video than that though so it's probably best to throw it in there unless perhaps Mortismal Gaming decides to make a similar video before launch.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys I'm continuing my King maker playthrough but I can't find an answer to this: I remember that I was able to cast healing spells on the fly with my cleric, so I never had to actually prepare them.

Do you mean aura channels? It's an AoE heal that doesn't need to be prepared it just replenishes after rest.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Non-healing spells on your hot bar should have a little arrow above them that opens a sub menu to choose a heal spell to spontaneously cast.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I never understood these. Every time I used them, I'd see the visual effect, but nobody would ever heal any damage, or some would but not others.

It's a pretty strong spell to be honest if used right. I would read up on it if I were you. It's main advantage is to top up your party in between the fights since it can heal enemies too unless you pick the selective channeling feat but not sure if it's worth using a feat for it. It scales as you level 1+d6 for every level iirc and there is a helmet that adds 2d6 rolls to it. Not sure why it wouldnt work for you, are you sure? The golden one is the healing one the black one is for damage. (both are reversed for undead).

Jul 7, 2021
It's a pretty strong spell to be honest if used right. I would read up on it if I were you. It's main advantage is to top up your party in between the fights since it can heal enemies too unless you pick the selective channeling feat but not sure if it's worth using a feat for it. It scales as you level 1+d6 for every level iirc and there is a helmet that adds 2d6 rolls to it. Not sure why it wouldnt work for you, are you sure? The golden one is the healing one the black one is for damage against. (both are reversed for undead).

Oh... wait, undead. There's a companion that is undead. I think I know where my confusion was stemming from.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if there is stash or storage in the game? Reading about encumbrance being an issue and I'm a packrat. Also saw something about having a horse animal companion can hold stuff as well.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Another important question: If you are a Hunter who goes Azata path, can you have both a Dinosuar and Dragon pet out at the same time?

I was actually curious about this and from what I could find, yes you can have both, with your pet tied to your character level, and the dragon tied to mythic level, but I haven't played the beta, and I'm not trying to spoil much of anything.

Feb 19, 2018
Anyone know if there is stash or storage in the game? Reading about encumbrance being an issue and I'm a packrat. Also saw something about having a horse animal companion can hold stuff as well.
There was in Kingmaker, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a storage chest in this game.

Also after picking up some bag of holdings you can carry around enough stuff to equip a whole army without breaking a sweat.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah there's storage. Encumbrance mostly just limits you from looting every single crappy sword, shield and piece of armor in the earlier/mid parts of the game. There's still plenty of room to loot the better stuff and all the potions/scrolls/trinkets you could ever want.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So i'm just finally wrapping up Kingmaker for the first time (tried a few times after release but it was always way too buggy so i gave up) what would be a good time for playing this one, 4-6 months after release should be enough for them to fix most of critical bugs i asume?

Feb 19, 2018
So i'm just finally wrapping up Kingmaker for the first time (tried a few times after release but it was always way too buggy so i gave up) what would be a good time for playing this one, 4-6 months after release should be enough for them to fix most of critical bugs i asume?
The WotR beta build 6 months ago was already in a much better state than Kingmaker at release. There shouldn't be any real issues for the first 3 chapters of the game at release, and by the time you get to the chapters that weren't in the Beta a few patches should already be out.

Finish up Kingmaker (could take longer than you think) and decide then.