• 20 million - 25 million

Votes: 136 8.7%
  • More than 25 million

Votes: 418 26.7%

• Total voters

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it's done selling after 40 hours?

According to The Pokémon Company, Scarlet and Violet are the most pre-ordered titles in the series' history. Within three days of its release, the games had sold over 10 million copies worldwide, including 4.05 million in Japan alone.

Its not even keeping pace with a game you said should learn from it.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Do you think it's done selling after 40 hours?

No of course not, but Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise ever. It's crazy how big it is. I just don't see a world where it inspires the Pokémon company at all. I hope I am wrong! I am just pointing out that probably shouldnt hold their Breathe over it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
According to The Pokémon Company, Scarlet and Violet are the most pre-ordered titles in the series' history. Within three days of its release, the games had sold over 10 million copies worldwide, including 4.05 million in Japan alone.

Why would anyone expect it to keep pace with it? I doubt anyone expected 3 million in 2 days.

Synn

Oct 27, 2017

So you're comparing the latest game from an established franchise with almost 30 years worth of games and multimedia efforts behind its back with a game that came out of nowhere and sold more than 3m copies under 2 days?
They absolutely should learn from it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So you're comparing the latest game from an established franchise with almost 30 years worth of games and multimedia efforts behind its back with a game that came out of nowhere and sold more than 3m copies under 2 days?
Oh, it came out of somewhere.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
They didn't sell to me and all the other millions looking and waiting for a "proper" open world pokemon game. It doesn't have to be an MMO, but it should have instances with enough people to feel populated.

I grew up loving pokemon, but i fell off after a looong time because there weren't nearly enough improvements between the games. it's one thing to be similar but man I really felt like I was just playing the same exact thing. I give them credit for the newer ones, but what I'm getting at is a lot of people like to point at pokemons sales numbers as a kind of reason that pokemon shouldn't change things up or do anything new, when all I can think about is sure yeah it still sells a lot, but it would probably sell a 2-4x as much if they gave them more time in the oven and popped out something nintendo quality

i guess i'm just tired of being disappointed in the series after loving it so hard earlier in life. If it's not for me anymore, that's fine, but the problem is there's sooooooooo much untapped potential still for the series that they seem to just ignore because they can get a safe amount of sales for a minimal amount of investment

sure as hell hope they take some inspiration from pokemon concierge though that shit was gorgeous

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

No other people in this topic are as a gatcha to pokemon. I am showing why pokemon dont care.

Jul 18, 2020
and thasts the thing, its more than half way passable, it has qol options that other servival/ crafting games dont have. say what you will, but prity clear they put real work in to it.

Oh I didn't mean to sound dismissive, early impressions are really positive and it seems the game is legit. My point was about the game generating curiosity because the concept is CRAZY lol.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just hit a new peak of 880K at 11:30 pm Eastern time wtf

922,349 when I just checked. This game may break a million tomorrow. Just crazy watching this game explode.

image.png

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Apart from clearly stolen pieces of Pokémon designs, this game is tremendously fun, especially with friends. Without considering guns, sweatshopping and real time battles, a simpler version of this game is what the Pokémon Legends series should be.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably break 1 mil CCU within the next 2 hrs. At this point, the question is how high will it eventually peak at.

Also worth noting is that this is the #1 selling game in ALL 29 countries tracked by Steam. This is the absolute definition of a worldwide, mainstream game.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
It'll probably break 1 mil CCU within the next 2 hrs. At this point, the question is how high will it eventually peak at.

Also worth noting is that this is the #1 selling game in ALL 29 countries tracked by Steam. This is the absolute definition of a worldwide, mainstream game.
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but the regional pricing also seems very good across the board? Which if is the case, partially explains how this is doing so well.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The game has found its crowd with the streamers, at least for a couple weeks. Will be interesting how well it holds after the initial hype slows down.

As someone that enjoys the survival games, as well as Pokemon. Have a few friends that will probably play for a little bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but the regional pricing also seems very good across the board? Which if is the case, partially explains how this is doing so well.

No clue about regional pricing, but it's clear the low pricing has definitely helped.

The game has found its crowd with the streamers, at least for a couple weeks. Will be interesting how well it holds after the initial hype slows down.

As someone that enjoys the survival games, as well as Pokemon. Have a few friends that will probably play for a little bit.

Yeah, it remains to be seen what the legs will be like for this. But out of the starting gate, it's off to a crazy, crazy start. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells 6+ mil by Monday.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It will probably overtake Cyberpunk on CCU, which is cool. Will be tricky climbing further after that.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The way I see it is that this game proves there's definitely a sizeable market for people who loves the Pokemon aesthetics and want to see it in different gameplay genres and probably in a less than child-friendly settings.

I don't particularly care if TPC wants to tap into that market or not, but I like to think other studios might be interested in pulling this off as well.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
It's a mix of AI-generated Pokemon rip-offs with ARK: Survival Evolved... aside from the designs, this game is nothing related to Pokemon.

It's that type of junk game that PC users love, so I can see it selling a lot.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's a mix of AI-generated Pokemon rip-offs with ARK: Survival Evolved... aside from the designs, this game is nothing related to Pokemon.

It's that type of junk game that PC users love, so I can see it selling a lot.

I don't normally like these kinds of games, but I've been enjoying this one quite a bit. It's just a time waster that released at a good time, but like, it's _way_ more fun to me than S/V. And I'm a HUGE pokemon fan.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

hmmm that's not exactly true either.

Off the top of my head it follows the same pokeball-capture mechanics from Pokemon, the 6 party members for battle, there's also a pokedex and pokebox of sort.

It's not strictly just monster design.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will probably keep selling once there is an official release on the PS5 as well. Yeah this game will have legs.
Could be an "if" scenario. There's other stuff that's been released on Xbox and PC via Game Pass that still isn't on PS. Not sure if that's due to contracts or just development resources, but it's not a foregone conclusion that it will ever arrive.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
How exactly? If anything it's tapping into Pokemon's potential.

I'm confused as to how Scarlet and Violet is Scarlet and Violet and y'all just pretend it's not an issue because of sales.

Y'all know how that came out.
Y'all know how it still performs.

What's with the dancing around the issue. You know what people mean.

Making games ain't easy.

Chill with the yearly releases and take your time to make something that plays and runs likes a modern release. That's all people are asking for. The whole "they don't need to because they're selling so well" is such an embarrassing statement coming from fans who play these games. Even if SV is your favorite game of all time, you know damn well how it looks and plays doesn't even compete with the Pokemon game that came out earlier that same year.

Even if they're not selling as well, it's still notable that multiple games are coming out and people who play them claim they're doing what GF does better. No one just ignores that stuff starts to snowball. You might want to dismiss it, but they sure as hell shouldn't. Maybe Cassette Beasts didn't grab the attention it should've, what about a sequel that's better marketed. No one is expecting their competition to come out the gate swinging with 30 million in sales, but as the one playing these games that doesn't obsesses over sales for validation, if I find a full replacement and games continue to be SV quality, they're only gonna see me for rereleases (not remakes) of their games I do like (which they rarely ever do).

Last edited:

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be an "if" scenario. There's other stuff that's been released on Xbox and PC via Game Pass that still isn't on PS. Not sure if that's due to contracts or just development resources, but it's not a foregone conclusion that it will ever arrive.
I mean its prity clear the gamepass/xbox versions were very last minute. the first time I heard/saw anything on palworld was at summer gamefest. wouldnt be shock if it was after that ms made the deal.

ggez007

Sep 28, 2021
I don't normally like these kinds of games, but I've been enjoying this one quite a bit. It's just a time waster that released at a good time, but like, it's _way_ more fun to me than S/V. And I'm a HUGE pokemon fan.
I feel like a shill at this point cause I keep seeing people make these types of statements and I have to come out to the defense that the game is truly fun and the systems + loop while it may seem random from the outside blend together extremely well when you play it- the designs may be derivative but the loop feels like a fair amount of work and thought went into it. I also had the same realization that this is the most fun I've had with a creature collection game in years.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hope to see even more Pokemon-like game in the future. Like how Soulslike came to existent from Dark Souls

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
hope to see even more Pokemon-like game in the future. Like how Soulslike came to existent from Dark Souls

With how poorly Nintendo has treated the games recently, I hope so too.
Legends is pretty good but mainline has just been sad for me. I replayed Scarlet a few weeks ago and was utterly void of any joy whatsoever.
This game has made me laugh/smile a bunch and that's worth the cost for me!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if someone nailed a modern Pokemon game. I really like the concept but have a hard time getting into the series. I tried 3 of the 5 Switch games and immediately stopped playing two of them due to weird decisions that no other developer would make.

I'm hoping this one delivers

View: https://youtu.be/ejaafDCH7zs?si=imGf_IjyKhKWssJg

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
there's a number of Pokemon-like games out in the world. It's not really a new thing. It's just how close to existing Pokemon designs, where Pokemon fans can see where some designs come from, does this game have which really got it noticed.

Dragon Quest Monsters
Monster Hunter Stories
Cassette Beasts
Temtem
Coromon
Yokai Watch
Nexomon
Digimon World: Next Order/Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
etc.