Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Spyro on top is so good. The first game i ever played alive and kicking! Beat out strong competition too with the launch of Pokémon, fallout and RDR2 not long out. Hopefully digital are strong too and I suspect they are.

75% of spyro sales on PS4 is extremely good also considering it's the second biggest xbox market. WW ratio I'd guess is 90%+.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Will Smash Bros Ultimate have a bigger debut then Let's Go or no?

IMO yes, easily. It'll debut higher than let's go in essentially every market and by an order of magnitude in some.

Nobody doubted that this would be Switch's biggest launch. But let's look at the numbers: XY sold 124,000 which is probably slightly less than Let's Go when you factor in digital sales. Let's Go is a remake of the most well known generation coming off Pokemon Go, a mobile game that made waves across mobile and the world. It's reasonable to expect Let's Go to ride at least some of the zeitgeist from Pokemon Go, and yet its done roughly the same numbers as XY. How much of a difference would stock shortages and a slightly larger install base have made? Perhaps a moderate amount, but probably not anything too significant. Regardless, this was not the bad launch that many wanted for whatever reason. It wasn't the "amazing" success that their opponents wanted. It was OK. As I said, the final tally of 116,000 is likely under what Nintendo wanted. Until we get more information from next week and beyond, we don't have the full context to fully judge these results.

If the second/third weeks shows a strong hold, then stock shortages were a significant factor to the final number, and I will re-evaluate my opinion.

Nobody doubted it? Where have you been for months. Lots of people were saying this game would bomb, ive seen lifetime sales as low as 5 million thrown around.

Personally I think it's a very good result. With digital included it's right up there with the mainline games. That's despite being released on a far smaller user base. It will surely have great legs over the holiday season. Also this game released for $20 more than previous Pokémon games and also had a high attach rate for the pokeball plus, it likely had a much higher revenue than similar selling Pokémon games.

I'm not saying this is an amazing success but it's a great sign that the game has performed so strongly in a market where relatively Nintendo hasn't been doing as well.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro on top is so good. The first game i ever played alive and kicking! Beat out strong competition too with the launch of Pokémon, fallout and RDR2 not long out. Hopefully digital are strong too and I suspect they are.

75% of spyro sales on PS4 is extremely good also considering it's the second biggest xbox market. WW ratio I'd guess is 90%+.

Wouldn't that put BFV in the 50-75K range? I don't think that's the case.

Oct 25, 2017
Technically speaking Both pokémon versions combined beat out Spyro, but yeah it's a great result.

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro and RDR2 both have higher meta averages than Hitman 2. Quality is subjective, but going by critical reception correlating to sales success, it would seem some or many gamers do actually care for quality. I personally might get Hitman 2 at a later date, but I certainly wasn't going to pick it over RDR2, FH4 and Spyro.

Perhaps I'm just salty that this particular brand of quality doesn't sell. First the immersive sim and now this. We need more games with brilliant level design and tons of player agency, not less.
I shudder at the thought of a future where every game is either GAAS, open world or a cinematic blockbuster.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
"The Fortnite Deep Freeze Bundle debuts at No. 8 in the charts and sales were split evenly between PS4, Xbox One and Switch - 34 per cent, 33 per cent and 32 per cent respectively" (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...top-hyper-competitive-week-at-uk-games-retail)

I find this very interesting, IMO such a split wouldn't have happened with previous Nintendo consoles, and is proof (again imo) that the Switch audience is quite different from what people consider to be the "classic" Nintendo console audience, the one that supposedly mostly wasn't interested in 3rd party games. Alternatively it's proof that this audience was always interested in 3rd party games, and just wasn't given the proper treatment.

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
"The Fortnite Deep Freeze Bundle debuts at No. 8 in the charts and sales were split evenly between PS4, Xbox One and Switch - 34 per cent, 33 per cent and 32 per cent respectively" (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...top-hyper-competitive-week-at-uk-games-retail)

I find this very interesting, IMO such a split wouldn't have happened with previous Nintendo consoles, and is proof (again imo) that the Switch audience is quite different from what people consider to be the "classic" Nintendo console audience, the one that supposedly mostly wasn't interested in 3rd party games. Alternatively it's proof that this audience was always interested in 3rd party games, and just wasn't given the proper treatment.

Well we know that fortnite is performing extremely well on the switch. I think it depends on the game though, fortnite seems like a game that appeals to the target audience of the switch. Overall I agree that the switch is clearly a better platform for 3rd parties and SW in general.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
France Week 45
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
2. CoD: Black Ops 4 (PS4)
3. Fifa 19 (PS4)
4. Super Mario Party
5. Red Dead Redemption 2: Special Edition (PS4)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Also no need to for double dipping (well per person anyway), as whatever you buy the skin on carries over to the other platforms, so that's honestly really impressive to be evenly split.

Oct 29, 2017

That is really surprising, considering the userbase size difference! Nintendo really did a great job with getting that audience on their platform!

Deleted member 59

Doom did well, right?

In terms of UK at least I seem to remember it didn't do great initially and got heavily discounted a couple weeks after launch, where it started getting the bulk of its sales from. Maybe someone has the figures.

edit - I might be misremembering, but Doom definitely opened below Wolfie

(care of Bruno from the old place)

[Week 19, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 62,000 / NEW
[Week 20, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 40,000 / 102,000 (-35%)

[Week 20, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 74,000 / NEW
[Week 21, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 26,000 / 100,000 (-65%)

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Wow PS4 is a monster when it comes to nostalgia fueled remakes. I wonder how many pubs are frantically looking at their PS1 back catalogue.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon was number 1 not Spyro

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wow PS4 is a monster when it comes to nostalgia fueled remakes. I wonder how many pubs are frantically looking at their PS1 back catalogue.

Oddly enough, Sony are sitting on one that they aren't doing anything with. And that's Ape Escape. It was the first game to require the Dual Shock, so it received a lot of attention for that as many people wanted to see what it was like. It doesn't create the same nostalgia overload as Crash or Spyro, but there are still a lot of PSone gamers that remember it fondly. And while not a PSone game, a proper Jak and Daxter remake would sell boatloads. The Ratchet re-imagining from 2016 was the fastest selling entry in the series. And it might've been Insomniac's best selling game before the release of Spider-Man.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
man really happy to see Spyro selling well, that game deserves it even with all the download stuff it had to go though

Oct 28, 2017
Square had the right idea with the FF7 remake. License to print money. Too bad it's Square and they're gonna take forever to get it out. It'll be a PS5 game at this point.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps I'm just salty that this particular brand of quality doesn't sell. First the immersive sim and now this. We need more games with brilliant level design and tons of player agency, not less.
I shudder at the thought of a future where every game is either GAAS, open world or a cinematic blockbuster.

Yeah, same here. Intricate and narrowly gameplay focused games with little fluff like Prey, Dishonored, and Hitman doing badly is such a gut punch. I want more of that, less faux RPG shooters and loot(box) grind games.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go Pikachu debuted at No.4 and Let's Go Eevee debuted at No.6 and, combined, they sold 7.8 per cent more copies that Spyro

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/pokémon-and-spyro-top-the-charts-fallout-76-and-hitman-2-fail-to-convince

SPYRO REIGNITED TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 108,000 / NEW

PlayStation 4 - 81,000
Xbox One - 27,000

Spyro Reignited Trilogy only sold 9,000 units less than Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy although this time we are comparing a game launched on 2 systems vs another that was initially released on 1, said that it is a really great performance. To put things into perspective, Spyro Reignited Trilogy launch is bigger than any Super Mario platformer.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
There is an audience of people who likes 3d platformers and we are not being served. THERE ARE TONS OF US!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/pokémon-and-spyro-top-the-charts-fallout-76-and-hitman-2-fail-to-convince

SPYRO REIGNITED TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 108,000 / NEW

PlayStation 4 - 81,000
Xbox One - 27,000

Spyro Reignited Trilogy only sold 9,000 units less than Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy although this time we are comparing a game launched on 2 systems vs another that was initially released on 1, said that it is a really great performance. To put things into perspective, Spyro Reignited Trilogy launch is bigger than any Super Mario platformer.
Hype was real for Crash and now Spyro too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me wonder how much a Mario 64 Remake using the Odyssey engine could sell.
Then again it would only be a single game and likely still be full priced, so no 1:1 comparison to Crash/Spyro....but it likely would still sell very well.

Oct 25, 2017
Now we need a remake for the best platformer ever...Ape Escape.
Yas!

D5zH9SyxCKd2LkwURFskD8t8QNJ19oqxteq5mo4UsoDKz6gZmynWxJr4YnZ5JERU4Z7M9HWYDtQyhscif4fqMiG2BxPLRZc4JX5zcUD1KvrQ2xRjNsi9vLVxS6PtWMCFBNiV7b

I really do think it would perform well. Just something wild, crazy, colorful, and silly all running on PS5 hardware. It would be beautiful.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
75% for the PS4 Version of Spyro in the 2nd biggest Xbox Market
Probably a 80/20 Split or higher Worldwide then - Lovely to see what is selling well on the PS4 especially the variety and Classic Games while meanwhile Fortnite manages to get equal Splits LOL
If they don't bring all versions at the same time it probably by now makes more sense to bring a PS4+Switch/PC Version first with these type of games.

Next big split will be KH3 and RE2 Remake i guess with KH3 having the chance to have the biggest difference so far.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Spyro being bigger than Mario de facto makes it the new Knack.

I understand people being divisive on the Let's Go performance, because on one hand you had people saying it was a huge nostalgia trip on a popolar console winking at a casual audience that has been extremely enthusiastic about the mobile app... and a trailer for an Hollywood Pokemon movie has just been released! Sounds like the perfect storm for the biggest Pokemon debut ever.

On the other you have people saying the core audience is cold on this new Pokemon game, that the Switch isn't doing well in the UK and so Pokemon will be lackluster.

And the game comes out and lands... perfectly in the middle, absolutely aligned with the Pokemon baseline. Nobody wins, arguments go on forever.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is that a good hold for RDR2, happy to see it selling well.

75% for the PS4 Version of Spyro in the 2nd biggest Xbox Market
Probably a 80/20 Split or higher Worldwide then - Lovely to see what is selling well on the PS4 especially the variety and Classic Games while meanwhile Fortnite manages to get equal Splits LOL
If they don't bring all versions at the same time it probably by now makes more sense to bring a PS4+Switch/PC Version first with these type of games.

Next big split will be KH3 and RE2 Remake i guess with KH3 having the chance to have the biggest difference so far.
They are strongly associated with Sony with Sony marketing so i expected as much. Same goes for KH3 (Even though FF15 done will on Xbox, it was lopsided in PS4's favour).

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I'm surprised by people comparing a spin-off with FO4. Do ypu think Bethesda is expecting FO4 level sales with THIS game? This is not FO5 and will have no bearing at all with the next mainline game's sales. 82k is pretty good. It's easily outselling GoWs FW considering PC and console digital and even with bad WoM its gonna sell good during the holidays.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by people comparing a spin-off with FO4. Do ypu think Bethesda is expecting FO4 level sales with THIS game? This is not FO5 and will have no bearing at all with the next mainline game's sales. 82k is pretty good. It's easily outselling GoWs FW considering PC and console digital and even with bad WoM its gonna sell good during the holidays.
No one is saying they expected FO4 sales.
But the market also has grown quite a bit since FO4 - so having a new big fall title that IP attached to it sell so much worse isnt a good luck.

Its not just sales either....reviews and word of mouth are average at best as well. Thats usually not how you wanna treat your powerhouse franchises.

If this was some mobile or digital only release ....but for a 60 dollar console game with solid marketing behind it thats disappointing.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Crash and Spyro are proof that Sony need to get their thumbs out of their arseholes and fund more platformers.

It's time for Jumping Flash! VR and Ape Escape 4.

Edit - Oh hey, Astro Bot's back in the charts. :D

Last edited: