captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

this tweet encapsulates what i was talking about. In my experience many many people in office jobs dont actually "work" for 8 full hours, every day. They're forced to sit in a chair at an office for 8 hours, but that doesnt mean they're working.

oh, i have a meeting in 30 minutes, dont want to get too deep into anything, let me go to the bathroom, get some water and come back.

oh, need helpdesk to fix something, im not gonna work on anything else till thats fixed.

smoke break

and more.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i could do this but i would be paranoid the whole time getting in trouble since it's illegal so i just browse era for half the week.

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Two weeks in; everything going smoothly.

Got a KVM switch for swapping my inputs between devices and a couple of earphones for when meetings overlap.

Slightly tiring but nothing a good relax at the weekend won't cure.

Dr. Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a PhD computational data scientist/bioengineer.

I just got a weekend job at Crate & Barrel for in home decor/design...just for fun...lol.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Got a KVM switch for swapping my inputs between devices and a couple of earphones for when meetings overlap.

thats awesome.

first paycheck hit yet? Thats the dopamine that helps you keep going.

care to give a ballpark of how much you raised your income?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

good lad

I use two completely different keyboards lol. One on the desk and another on an attached keyboard tray.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
lmao, so this is just the trendy white collar version of working class people's struggles and choosing to hold two jobs instead of having to?

Oct 27, 2017
I want to underwork. Now that I'm full time WFH I've wondered if my partner and I could team-up and work the same job.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I have six years of professional full stack experience so any role I apply to I could never get away with this :( it would be fun for two weeks then I would chose which job I like more.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I have in the past. I didn't mind it, and it certainly helped financial.

I worked in a field where it was standard, and I my case even encouraged, as long as it was done through official channels.

Oct 25, 2017
I do this. I finish my fulltime work generally quickly, so I fill in the extra time within the 8 hours with freelance. I enjoy my career, so I like getting to be part of more projects, but the main motivating factor is definitely being able to increase my take home salary. This is the only way I'm able to build towards a down payment to purchase property. It can get exhausting, even though I'm trying to contain it within the usual 8 hours.

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
thats awesome.
first paycheck hit yet? Thats the dopamine that helps you keep going.
care to give a ballpark of how much you raised your income?
Started a week after starting this thread, one paycheck is weekly so that's been my usual income (outside IR35) - the other gig is Inside IR35 with monthly payments so I won't start seeing the £££ from that until end of March/April.

With the Outside IR35, it's only projected for 2~3 months, but assuming I worked for it for a full year, that would be 260x£240 = £62,400 (post-tax)
Adding on this Inside IR35 role, at £320 a day...it's a bit trickier to say, but even if tax was something silly like 40% that would still be £49,920 (post-tax)
So all-in-all TC post-tax is somewhere in the realm of £110~115k, assuming I worked in the roles all year.

Two weeks in and other than the 9:30am stand-ups, everything has been pretty easy and everyone is happy with me. Considering a 3rd role now... 👀

good lad

I use two completely different keyboards lol. One on the desk and another on an attached keyboard tray.
For reference, I grabbed these which have been doing the trick nicely:
Keyboard: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09F38TL4V/
KVM Switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083TC68VQ/

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
So I'm now 2 months into 2 jobs, with the latest 3 weeks just gone juggling 3.

It's been an interesting experience so far to say the least - I'm looking forward to the majority of the pay coming at the end of next week!

I guess if anyone has any questions; just ask away!

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Heh I brought up this idea to a friend of mine a few years ago. It just seemed logical... if you have a lot of downtime at one job, you can "stack" another job on top and devote the downtime to that. I never actually did try it, but I'd like to.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I have basically zero free time, but I'd do something like this part time to get some extra bread if I could. The whole overlapping 2 jobs though? Impossible.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, so this is just the trendy white collar version of working class people's struggles and choosing to hold two jobs instead of having to?
Doesng exactly seem like it? Instead of working the jobs one after another, you're doing em at the same time. Idk why you'd do this unless you needed the money.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever worked at a job or in a field where I could see how that would be realistically feasible. Unless I was very overqualified for the roles to begin with. I've definitely thought about weekend work, though.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It came about from a recruiter that was always pestering me, so I was like "Fine, I'll interview with them" then they offered haha

All 3 contracts go to End of June/July with potential to extend.

Assuming I worked all 3 FT for the full year, that'd be £232,700 / $305,200 before (a lot of) tax.
that's nuts. But it's a shit load of money. I did it for about 6 months one time. Until a coworker called me while I was at a conference saying our boss thinks I'm working two jobs. So I bounced from that job, it was my least favorite anyway.

I wish you luck, get that bag while you can.

Doesng exactly seem like it? Instead of working the jobs one after another, you're doing em at the same time. Idk why you'd do this unless you needed the money.
you don't know why you would double your income?

Like imagine going from making 100k to 200k?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
This idea seems crazy to me. Especially knowing that we have fired people for doing another job full-time while doing our job full-time.

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Yeah double income sounds nice, but the potential for things to blow up in your face would make it too stressful.
I will say that in the last 2 months, the recruiter from Job 1 did find out from their contacts/overhearing other roles available that I was doing OE - they basically said that as long as I keeping everyone happy, doing my work and not missing meetings then they didn't care. It hasn't been brought up since.

It's not really for recruiters to dob on you anyway as without contractors, they don't get their £££ - they know which way their bread is buttered lol

Toastie

Jun 17, 2018
I don't see anything wrong with this. A senior software developer with a junior/mid position could maybe do the work in half the time. Now replace senior with highly skilled and it's the same damn thing. We all know titles are bullshit anyway. People should work to what the position description says to the level expected of everyone else. Unfortunately the reward for good work is more work. Until that changes any surplus value employees can generate should long to them, not their employer.

Apr 24, 2018
I would never even dream of trying this. However, I had a close friend who for reasons beyond his control recently worked 2 jobs for a week and a half (leaving one job while starting at the other place right before his tenure ended). I thought he was crazy but he got through it - for that week and a half he was making a prorated portion of a nice quarter million dollars a year as a salary -_-

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid and scummy. Negotiate fewer hours if you think you can do your job in less time. Don't lie about the time you spend doing your job.

Being a remote worker is already difficult and has trust issues with employers, these fuckers make it even more difficult.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This is stupid and scummy. Negotiate fewer hours if you think you can do your job in less time. Don't lie about the time you spend doing your job.

Being a remote worker is already difficult and has trust issues with employers, these fuckers make it even more difficult.
no, whats scummy is companies firing people without cause. over working people, choosing to pay new hires more than just giving your existing people raises. so on and so on.

i dont know what world you live in but "negotiate fewer hours" is a great way to tell your employer that you want a paycut.

GamerJM

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I sort of did this in the worst possible way. My first job ever was a small, local consulting firm with a business model dependent on overemployment. The bosses of the company "worked" as consultants at like four different firms at a time, and then gave the grunt work for those four firms to newbies at the company whilst they attended calls and did the more complex parts of the work that the newbies couldn't handle. Once the new people there had several months of experience, they worked with them to create exaggerated resumes and sent those off to hopefully eventually get multiple projects as well. The overall pay was about.....half of what any of these contracts were. So people had to do this without actually reaping the benefits.

Now, I'm sort of an obsessive person and a slow worker, so I knew I wouldn't be able to handle actual overemployment. I dealt with this by requesting that I only have one contract, and then I helped out with the company in ways that were easier for me to do, like training new employees and creating project plans for the company, which my bosses were happy with. I usually had to work a few hours of overtime a week but overall I handled it decently well for my own limitations.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
That would be highly illegal for me working as a government defense contractor.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Nah - I don't do 4 hours of productive work a day to spend the 4 hours doing different productive work. Also, companies strongly frown upon working for another company while you're on the clock working for theirs - if you do it on their time, they're very likely to fire you.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I work a standard 9-5 office job. I also do quite a bit of freelance copywriting on the side. Since WFH started, I've pretty much exclusively dedicated one day per week of my 9-5 to working my freelance gigs. I still get all my regular work done, I retain my work/life balance - it's ideal.

That being said, I've recently taken a promotion that will mean I won't have time to do this anymore, so I'm parking my freelance contracts soon to focus on my full-time role

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I thought "underemployed" meant you were working a job that was beneath your experience/credentials. Wouldn't "overemployed" mean you're working a job that you're not qualified for?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I've done it. Contract work while the salaried job has a lull in stuff to do. My employer didn't care as long as shit got done.