Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Keeps saying go to sunless City and can't find anything. On dark bramble I went into the nest and couldn't find anything. On deep I can't get believe current. On the hanging city I moved the forge but the elevators were broken and I was stuck.
Did you explore Timber Hearth a bit more? There may be something there that helps give a clue for what's going on in Dark Bramble. Someone in the village might have mentioned it as well.

Don't be afraid to use the scout as a proxy for yourself as well to see what is and isn't possible, or just to see where it ends up.

Anyway, sometimes the answer (or even the solution itself) is on another planet entirely. I would say trying to brute force them will only need to frustration, so I'd try to investigate new places or planets. (Chatting with members of the expedition, each playing an instrument you can track, is usually a good way to get new clues or points of interest.)

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
So I just read how to get under the current. How was I supposed to know to go into a counter clockwise tornado.
You find out on another planet, but forgot where. Maybe Brittle Hollow. All answers are somewhere in the world.
Yes, it's explicitly spelled out on Brittle Hollow, and I think hinted at on Giant's Deep. At the very least, there's a part of Giant's Deep that tells you where to go on Brittle Hollow.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Are you using the computer on your ship? That helps a lot in keeping track of what you've learned and where you still need to explore.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Made some progress finally and got under the current. Also managed to land on the quantum moon.

Still not sure where I'm going. Will follow rumors and light guides.

Progress

Last edited:

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
So I just read how to get under the current. How was I supposed to know to go into a counter clockwise tornado.

Made some progress finally and got under the current. Also managed to land on the quantum moon.

Still not sure where I'm going. Will follow rumors and light guides.

Not to be annoying, but maybe let's hide those info behind spoiler tags for when new first-time players will open the thread, just like you did?

Last edited:

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Sure. I thought it was vague enough but I covered it up.

Beat it with a guide since I was so stuck. Not entirely sure what to make if there ending.

Love the main theme tune though.
I feel the ending is part of what gives the game its staying power.
But it does make some assumptions with its imagery that might be confusing if you don't share the games interest in space, science etc.
For example I saw one person interpreting exploding galaxies in the forest as souls. And while much of the ending is open to interpretation I think the spirally balls of light are rather explicitly supposed to be galaxies.

And the bit with the nomai skeletons stacking on top of each other, most western players are able to connect that to the famous saying "standing on the shoulders of giants". But I noticed Japanese streamers have more trouble interpreting that sequence.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I got a friend to play this (PS5 version) and it seems a lot buggier than it was when I played on PS4.

Spoilers! Off the top of my head...
  • Nomai text wouldn't appear on the translator sometimes, forcing a reset.
  • One of the anti-grav walkways on Brittle Hollow (near the Black Hole Forge) stopped working.
  • There was a seam hole in the wall on the Quantum Moon that he could launch the scout through, displaying broken geometry within.
  • The Tower on the Quantum Moon refused to move. It was locked to the Giant's Deep reflection despite him following the correct process. This forced another reset during what should have been a pretty cathartic moment in getting to the QM's surface.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe an odd question but could someone play the DLC before playing the main game, without being lost? I think it's standalone so I mean more like, does it expect you to remember how certain mechanics work (such as quantum objects).

Context: Me and some friends who have beaten the main game want to come together to play through the DLC in one evening, and we want to know if we can invite someone who hasn't experienced Outer Wilds yet.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Maybe an odd question but could someone play the DLC before playing the main game, without being lost? I think it's standalone so I mean more like, does it expect you to remember how certain mechanics work (such as quantum objects).

Context: Me and some friends who have beaten the main game want to come together to play through the DLC in one evening, and we want to know if we can invite someone who hasn't experienced Outer Wilds yet.
I think the only thing you need from the base game is the ghost matter. I don't think there's any q stuff in the DLC, but it's been some time.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Even the ghost matter is explained on Timber Hearth. I can't remember any necessary mechanic that is learned somewhere else

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
You can do it pretty much any time you want IIRC, but I found the DLC more challenging than the original game so I can't imagine you would finish in 1 night. Unless by "1 night" you mean "start at 6 pm, end at 6 am" :D

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Even the ghost matter is explained on Timber Hearth. I can't remember any necessary mechanic that is learned somewhere else

All of the games mechanics are explained on Timber Hearth. One of the things I really like about the game. You really can start in any direction.

I guess except one mechanic I guess but I dont like that its not taught there.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all your input! I see that HLTB has the dlc between 10 and 14 hours so yeah that's gonna be tough to beat in one sitting. We'll see how far we can get, and otherwise there's always the next day.

Man it's been too long since I beat the game, I don't remember what the deal was with the ghost matter :D. Maybe I can actually replay it one day if my memory is already this hazy hahah.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...Man it's been too long since I beat the game, I don't remember what the deal was with the ghost matter :D. Maybe I can actually replay it one day if my memory is already this hazy hahah.
If you want a refresher, there's a YouTuber named Eelis that's done a number of supercuts of people's playthroughs of Outer Wilds; the whole game in 2 or three hours.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I wish I could erase my memory of this game so I can play it for the first time again....

ijq2hqz6ryt71.jpg

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I wish I could erase my memory of this game so I can play it for the first time again....
Next best thing is reliving it vicariously through other players.
If you're in the market for that, I highly recommend this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6Izbo0Evs
Played by an astrophysicist, so it's full of interesting insight and guesswork. Once he gets into the story it becomes emotional in places. Really genuine and fun to watch. Also, basically every single "Crazy Outer Wilds Happenstance" you can think of happens to him, lol.
It's a supercut, so you get all the highlights with none of the downtime. But you can watch the full playthrough on the guy's channel.

DO NOT WATCH IF in the middle of playing OW or considering playing it!

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yep, I really enjoyed that one. I got a kick out of the many times he realized "oh, right, that's like a cartoon version of actual phenomena!"

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, it was really cool. He had a very good bead on everything and followed clues/Nomai text logically. Like when he noticed and followed up on the black hole warp time discrepancy. I also really appreciated his genuine frights and reactions to the spookier parts of the game (especially the DLC). I could heavily relate to the physical reactions his body was having during some of the more harrowing moments.

Just thinking about it still amazes me. Some of the most tangible vertigo, sense of dread and anxiety simply from being depicted within virtual space I've ever experienced. That feeling when you fall or are about to crash is exactly like those dreams you wake up from. It's surreal and extremely unnerving, but also incredibly intoxicating.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
They just released a new patch with minor fixes but it also adds big head mode lmao.
Wonder if it has any relation with progress on the switch version.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I've been watching a new supercut on YouTube of an Outer Wilds playthrough, probably the fifth or sixth one I've watched. It's astonishing how often you hear different people all say "so if they're blind, I can navigate around them by turning off my headlights". 🤣

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I'm looking for a bit of guidance as I feel I've discovered nearly everything, but there are maybe three or four road blocks I've hit. A lot of it focuses around quantum aspects. I've found several quantum shards, but can't seem to figure them out. I did do the quantum lesson under the large hurricane in Giants Deep, but I can't seem to find a time to use those skills (I was thinking the shard on the home planet should be locked in place with the poem in the right order, but that's going nowhere). I've seen the quantum moon and the shuttle to get there, but haven't figured it out.

But I feel like most importantly I should figure out how to get into the Tower of Quantum Knowledge. I just don't see how to get up inside with the tools available.

Any nudges in the right direction?

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I'm looking for a bit of guidance as I feel I've discovered nearly everything, but there are maybe three or four road blocks I've hit. A lot of it focuses around quantum aspects. I've found several quantum shards, but can't seem to figure them out. I did do the quantum lesson under the large hurricane in Giants Deep, but I can't seem to find a time to use those skills (I was thinking the shard on the home planet should be locked in place with the poem in the right order, but that's going nowhere). I've seen the quantum moon and the shuttle to get there, but haven't figured it out.

But I feel like most importantly I should figure out how to get into the Tower of Quantum Knowledge. I just don't see how to get up inside with the tools available.

Any nudges in the right direction?
Do you already know the first quantum rule? If not, you should have a closer look at Giants Deep. If yes, maybe you can use the rule to achieve something that somehow doesn't work otherwise?
And regarding the tower, as you probably have realized by now, there are no new "tools" to receive in the game. Usually either you're missing the necessary knowledge to achieve something or you are at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe that helps for the tower.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Do you already know the first quantum rule? If not, you should have a closer look at Giants Deep. If yes, maybe you can use the rule to achieve something that somehow doesn't work otherwise?
And regarding the tower, as you probably have realized by now, there are no new "tools" to receive in the game. Usually either you're missing the necessary knowledge to achieve something or you are at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe that helps for the tower.
Thanks! I believe I understand the first quantum rule dealing with observation/measurement of quantum shards preventing them from moving. I suppose I'll revisit the various shards and see what I can do with my scout.

I guess should I be predicting or learning the rules before using them on a shard or will each shard make it somewhat apparent?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
A couple things I've observed streamers never really figuring out, but magically lucking their way past the parts where you'd need them (not all of these are relevant to what I understand of your situation, but they may be useful):

1) The ship has an auto-pilot.
2) The ship's log allows you to mark a planet or feature, and then a marker for it will appear in your field of view wherever you are, in the same way that you're automatically given a marker for your ship or your scout.
3) You can do the same thing with the map, the real-time view of the entire solar system, which is available whenever you're in the pilot's seat. (Maybe outside of the seat, too; I don't really remember.)
4) Your ship has the same ability to launch/recall a scout and use it to take pictures that your suit does, whenever you're in the pilot's seat. You do not have to exit the ship to use the scout. (Also, I've seen people who thought you could only use the scout from the ship, never realizing you can use it if you're wearing your suit.)
5) Same thing goes for the signalscope; you can use it if you're wearing your suit, or if you're in the ship's pilot seat.
6) You can use the scout's camera function without launching the scout; you just take a picture like you would with a phone.
7) The signalscope has a zoom function that works like a telescope.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Easy_G Regarding the tower, try and think of how that area might be affected by the passage of time. I also got stuck on that, and the solution is much easier than one might anticipate.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Despite owning this game since release, I have not played it.

Am I the enigma Outer Wild fans clamor for?! I'm worried the puzzles will frustrate me.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Easy_G Regarding the tower, try and think of how that area might be affected by the passage of time. I also got stuck on that, and the solution is much easier than one might anticipate.
I was just starting to think that way about it. So many other puzzles have similar solutions, in fact one I just solved earlier today, but I had mentally blocked that out in my mind. I'm off to play again and see how far I get.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018

Am I the enigma Outer Wild fans clamor for?! I'm worried the puzzles will frustrate me.

There is a learning curve, but once you figure out a little bit of what is going on the game will captivate you. Avoid guides and spoilers. You should be able to figure out most things on your own.

Personally, I loved the base game but just can't get into the DLC. I have tried twice over the years but have never gotten very far. It seems interesting.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
That was good but I had to look up the solution to the very last puzzle and I don't feel guilty at all. how the Ashtwin teleporter activates

It's so contrived compared to every other puzzle in the game, which all really rewards exploration and feel so natural and intuitive. Would have been nice if the exploration was truely rewarded too.

like reaching the sun station and the centre of the comet gave you an item, instead of just information, and if you make a crazy run and retrieve both these items, combine it with something else you can actually save your homeworld at least. A completely hidden side mission never explicitly stated by the game would have been perfect.

But yeah loved the game otherwise. Best part was the moment where you learn the first quantum rule and its further... implications. Top tier. A real "ohhh... OHHHHHHH" moment lol

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

I used a guide for a handful of portions of the game. No shame either heh. 😏 It was more of a time thing for me as i like to juggle playing two or three games at a time. The puzzles can get somewhat difficult, but i feel like a big part of it is a perspective shift. This isn't a game where you are constantly unlocking new items or leveling up a character. You are really encouraged/forced to explore and uncover on your own terms.

Most importantly, i dont think it really detracts from the experience using a guide too much. I still had some of the most impressive and unique moments in all of gaming to me.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I definitely looked up a couple of things on YouTube when I got stuck, which was fine; if I'd continued to be stuck, I'd have enjoyed the game less. Even with that, the base game took me ~40 hours, and the DLC (which I think is fantastic) was another ~40 hours.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I used a guide for a handful of portions of the game. No shame either heh. 😏 It was more of a time thing for me as i like to juggle playing two or three games at a time. The puzzles can get somewhat difficult, but i feel like a big part of it is a perspective shift. This isn't a game where you are constantly unlocking new items or leveling up a character. You are really encouraged/forced to explore and uncover on your own terms.

Most importantly, i dont think it really detracts from the experience using a guide too much. I still had some of the most impressive and unique moments in all of gaming to me.

I definitely looked up a couple of things on YouTube when I got stuck, which was fine; if I'd continued to be stuck, I'd have enjoyed the game less. Even with that, the base game took me ~40 hours, and the DLC (which I think is fantastic) was another ~40 hours.
I'm contemplating using a guide for the part I'm at, mostly due to time constraints. I've put a lot more hours in than expected and there just too much for me to too personally that I shouldn't sink too many more hours in. But I don't want to leave it unfinished.

I'm not sure how far into the game I am, though I feel I must be close to the end. The rumor map looks filled with a few question mark pictures left.

I'm somewhat bummed that my proposed solution to getting to the quantum moon didn't work. I thought that going to the quantum moon locator and putting my scout on the quantum moon symbol and taking a picture when it was pointing at Brittle Hollow would work to keep it "observed" and this stationary. It seemed to be working as I flew to Brittle Hollow and my scout still showed it correct, but then suddenly lost it when getting in/out of the ship. I did a test by just flying around the twins without landing and I think the quantum moon locator actually doesn't function if you're not near it. When I flew away the locations of the planets all stayed fixed, but as I returned to it and got closer I saw them all suddenly start spinning around.

Now to think of a different solution.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...I'm somewhat bummed that my proposed solution to getting to the quantum moon didn't work...
Yes, that is...definitely not the solution. Far more creative than my attempts of "maybe I just need to fly really really fast at it!" though.

I've only done four loops, but I'm super confused by this game and what I'm supposed to do. 😂
The ship's log will summarize what you've seen, and sometimes clarify things. It also tells you if you've seen everything in an area, or if there's more to see there, and what places likely need exploration based on what you've seen so far.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I'm contemplating using a guide for the part I'm at, mostly due to time constraints. I've put a lot more hours in than expected and there just too much for me to too personally that I shouldn't sink too many more hours in. But I don't want to leave it unfinished.

I'm not sure how far into the game I am, though I feel I must be close to the end. The rumor map looks filled with a few question mark pictures left.

I'm somewhat bummed that my proposed solution to getting to the quantum moon didn't work. I thought that going to the quantum moon locator and putting my scout on the quantum moon symbol and taking a picture when it was pointing at Brittle Hollow would work to keep it "observed" and this stationary. It seemed to be working as I flew to Brittle Hollow and my scout still showed it correct, but then suddenly lost it when getting in/out of the ship. I did a test by just flying around the twins without landing and I think the quantum moon locator actually doesn't function if you're not near it. When I flew away the locations of the planets all stayed fixed, but as I returned to it and got closer I saw them all suddenly start spinning around.

Again regarding the Quantum Moon
I didn't want to literally spell it out before that you have to use the first quantum rule to reach the Quantum Moon but you figured that out already. But you're a bit overthinking what that means. I don't have access to the game right now but I think the ship log says pretty clearly what the meaning is. If that's now enough think back to when you learned the rule and apply it to the Quantum Moon.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
just talking about this again makes me reminisce hard. hearing other discover stuff makes me smile

Anyone have any favorite entertaining YT playthroughs worth watching to recommend?

I've only done four loops, but I'm super confused by this game and what I'm supposed to do. 😂

yep. dont be afraid to use a guide especially if pressed for time. i like how EvanSquared put it…if you think you're going to enjoy the game less, then i say go for it and look it up.

It really took me a few weeks and multiple tries to get the ball rolling because i was intimidated in where i should even begin. I think a beginner's guide helped a bit after i was just assploring around.