• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Dang, FH4 is an absolute blast and I don't even like racing games lol. It also looks absolutely stunning.

Anyone here got some confirmed games that work with Auto-HDR? I want to check it out.
Almost everything does. The only game I've ran into that doesn't is The Witcher 2. Doom 3 is so goddamn cool with auto HDR. A rule of thumb is probably anything that's dark will look pretty good with auto HDR.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Anyone else get a duff controller? Left trigger on mine just buzzes and rattles instead of vibrating. Kills the braking in FH4. I've switched back to my original Elite controller for now, but the new pad has such comfy triggers. Taking it into a local GAME to see if I can get it swapped later.

I tried to set up a repair on Xbox.com but it just get stuck in a loop.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have just bumped into this on Twitter. The guy says that the console started to smoke after two minutes from starting up.

It obviously does not work and he asked Xbox if he can get it replaced.

If it did it after two minutes, then he unfortunately just got a lemon. At least they are taking care of it, though not the ideal launch day with your shiny new console.

Judging by the amount of smoke, and assuming it wasn't some problem unique to their environment (eyeing that tangle of wires next to the console), my guess is the PSU failed hard.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As a RTX3080 owner, I'm still blown away by my XSX. It's a wonderful piece of kit.

FH4 looks utterly insane. It's a step up from even the PC version at ultra settings - as it doesn't have the same nasty LoD pop-in, it never stutters at all, it's a locked 60fps. It's such a joy to play.

Load times across the board are also surprisingly faster than my PC + nvme. Everything is so damn fast.

I was preparing to be disappointed but honestly, it's the total opposite. It's wonderful. And to think I'll have a PS5 next week too, what a month :D

Will likely ditch my gaming PC now tbh, this is a way better couch experience.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
If it did it after two minutes, then he unfortunately just got a lemon. At least they are taking care of it, though not the ideal launch day with your shiny new console.

Judging by the amount of smoke, and assuming it wasn't some problem unique to their environment (eyeing that tangle of wires next to the console), my guess is the PSU failed hard.

There's a few more on top of that one, maybe a small batch of faulty components.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
If it is a trusted friend, make sure you make the 1X you are giving them the "home Xbox" for your account. This means they will get your library of games and benefits when they are on their gamertag. Then you can sign in on your Series X with your gamertag. Word of caution though is that you will need to be connected to the internet for any digital games to launch on your Series X because it won't be your home console and it will want to licence check.

Interesting. Was trying to find out more about this, articles on this seem old or don't go into detail. So that would be the one downside to doing this - internet goes down and you can't play your own digital library of games (or Game Pass)?

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
FH4 looks fantastic. I don't love Gears though so I don't have a whole lot else to play right now. I did pick up Squadrons but disappointed the next-gen patch isn't out yet. I'd have grabbed Valhalla or Legion but my son wants to play those too so we have them pre-ordered to game-share on our PS5s instead. I may have to double-dip in something though! Any idea when the Doom Eternal patch comes along? Squadrons patch? Witcher 3 patch? Destiny isn't until Dec 8th right?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only early on in Gears 5 but fuck me what a looker. Game is amazing looking. Like seriously I'm constantly blown away. The game is good as well. There are some design choices that make it still feel like a game from 2007 but I'm really enjoying it and the graphics are deadset mind melting

Maximrace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So anyone else with an LG CX that can't get the tv to display the VRR/framerate infobox correctly anymore? On the one X when you pushed the green button on the magic remote a few times it displays if VRR is active and the actual framerate coming through. Now on the series X it constantly tells me it's displaying in 5hz (while obviously it's way higher). Anybody else with a CX that can test this?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No Mans Sky at 4k60, with Auto HDR and loading fast is *chef kiss*.

Even with 100's of hours in the game, I am good to go back in.

Coming from the One X, the Series X very much feels like the days of buying a new PC or upgrading your GPU. Games worked ok before but everything running faster, smoother etc is sooooo good.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Interesting. Was trying to find out more about this, articles on this seem old or don't go into detail. So that would be the one downside to doing this - internet goes down and you can't play your own digital library of games (or Game Pass)?

Pretty sure remote downloads (pushing purchases of Gamepass downloads from web/mobile) only work on home console. Maybe save uploads too.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I picked up my pre-ordered Series X yesterday - all sold out in my store ofc, but there was still like 40 Series S to pick up.

Sadly I cant install it yet for a couple of weeks :(

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Here is the thing: If the game files already exist on the Store (before release date), all you do is download and install the game first and then when you receive the disc later you just pop it in and you are good to go. Digital and physical versions are the same on Xbox (unlike in PS4 as I remember).

Yeah...how do I do that? I want to preload cod Cold War.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
To be clear - the internet does not need to be constantly on for it to work. It just needs it to launch - like a disc check, it is simply using the internet to check the licence. Once it launches it is fine. But if you are in a place with constantly poor internet, it would be best to have the person with the best internet be the one to share the account and have the shared home xbox in the residence with the poorer internet as they wont require the check in.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine in the afternoon and been playing on and off since then. I was surprised by how bold the packaging design was.

I started up No Man's Sky while waiting for Yakuza to download and it runs like a champ, I was getting great framerate on a pretty busy planet, and the pop-in is significantly reduced. Too bad my main save is on my PC or I'd consider playing it on the Xbox as it is easier to hop in and out of the game there. Gears 5 looks amazing on it as well, and Yakuza runs great in Standard mode all while whisper quiet.

Impressed with the hardware so far, though I did have one issue where Yakuza 7 failed to start up after putting the console in rest mode, but a quick restart seemed to fix that.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Forza Horizon 4 on my Series S was super impressive and I ended up staying up til near 2AM playing it. Love it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Nier Automata on Series X. I had a partial playthrough on PS4 before, and was planning to resume on PS5, but starting over made enough sense (couldn't remember what I was doing anyway). This is a game that never really ran all that great on console before, at least not on PS4.

It's probably no surprise but the game runs gloriously on Series X. The most locked 60 I've ever seen, and there's a decent HDR implementation which doesn't seem to exist in the PS4 version, so this is possibly the best way to play it now console-wise

EricTheCleric

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I am stuck in the setup.
Anyone got a solution?
During the initial setup with mobile app the xbox downloaded an update and after that I cannot move forward with the setup with the xbox app. I try to set up new console again and get to enter correct code on screen and take photo of qr-code but then nothing happens.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Activated the preview program on my Series X now and I have a new firmware ready for me (with new and more animated backgrounds), hope I won't regret this bug wise.
One thing to be aware of, unless MS have changed this in the months since I was in the preview program - the preview updates are not uploaded to the Xbox site (for 'OSU' offline update from a memory stick). So if your console has an issue, you cannot use an offline update to fix it until the update version you are running is available to the public.

My Xbox One X had an issue with a preview update that meant it wouldn't power on correctly (would just display an error no matter what I tried). I couldn't use the offline update as it was "out of date" compared to the preview. I had to wait ~2 months until the offline update caught up with the last preview I had installed. Then I could finally use offline update to restore my system. After that I left the preview program in case something similar happened again. I probably won't risk adding my Series X to the program, at least not yet.

This might not happen to you, but just a heads up.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
As a RTX3080 owner, I'm still blown away by my XSX. It's a wonderful piece of kit.

FH4 looks utterly insane. It's a step up from even the PC version at ultra settings - as it doesn't have the same nasty LoD pop-in, it never stutters at all, it's a locked 60fps. It's such a joy to play.

Load times across the board are also surprisingly faster than my PC + nvme. Everything is so damn fast.

I was preparing to be disappointed but honestly, it's the total opposite. It's wonderful. And to think I'll have a PS5 next week too, what a month :D

Will likely ditch my gaming PC now tbh, this is a way better couch experience.
As a fellow pc gamer, I am truly impressed too.

What the X can and my PC can't do:
- 4k/hdr/120hz/vrr glory
- quick resume
- being fast at everything
- being so cool and quiet while gaming

I genuinely expected nothing, but I consider impressed what they delivered.
Bravo.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I want to see ray tracing in action but there's no way I'll finish Watch Dogs. Was considering DMC but the dual sense implementation has me intrigued (I'm in UK so have to wait until next week). Any impressions on these two? Or any other options for RT?

May 24, 2019
I am stuck in the setup.
Anyone got a solution?
During the initial setup with mobile app the xbox downloaded an update and after that I cannot move forward with the setup with the xbox app. I try to set up new console again and get to enter correct code on screen and take photo of qr-code but then nothing happens.

Isn't the QR just a link to the Xbox app?

I want to see ray tracing in action but there's no way I'll finish Watch Dogs. Was considering DMC but the dual sense implementation has me intrigued (I'm in UK so have to wait until next week). Any impressions on these two? Or any other options for RT?

I think Observer: System Redux has RT.

edit: Maneater says it does, but I didn't see any special reflectivity on the water surface from gameplay clips.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else seeing the Series X not install/update games when the system is off? I have Instant On turned on, keep my games & apps up to date, and power external drive when system is off all turned to on. Everything is installing/updating fine when system is on, but when I "turn off console" everything stops updating. I assume it must be because I have an external drive set as the default install location, maybe its bugged.

Saw other people on reddit with same problem

So far Gears5 and FH4 are the only games that required a massive essentially redownload (70GB each) to start the game, everything else is running off the updates I had previously patched in. I kinda wish there was an option somewhere to say "install games to my external drive... but if they are Series X only games, yeah, go ahead and install to internal". For now I have to let it install to external and then move it to internal. Only Tetris Connected, but still kinda klunky.

Keenest

Oct 27, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I had two issues with the Xbox Series S last night whilst playing Civilization 6. The first was a graphical glitch in the game where the screen was completely filled with red lines in the city bombardment menu. Going out the menu the screen was fine, but going back in the red line screen glitch persisted. Eventually zooming in and out the map seemed to resolve the issue.

Still in Civ 6, the Xbox lost the network connection and this crashed me completely out of the stock. I wonder if this is only Civ 6 issue or would the same happen in any other game you are in. Lose the network connection gets you completely kicked out of the game you are playing?

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else seeing the Series X not install/update games when the system is off? I have Instant On turned on, keep my games & apps up to date, and power external drive when system is off all turned to on. Everything is installing/updating fine when system is on, but when I "turn off console" everything stops updating. I assume it must be because I have an external drive set as the default install location, maybe its bugged.

Saw other people on reddit with same problem

So far Gears5 and FH4 are the only games that required a massive essentially redownload (70GB each) to start the game, everything else is running off the updates I had previously patched in. I kinda wish there was an option somewhere to say "install games to my external drive... but if they are Series X only games, yeah, go ahead and install to internal". For now I have to let it install to external and then move it to internal. Only Tetris Connected, but still kinda klunky.

It pretty much does do that. I've set my external as the default but when it detects it has Series improvements it asks if I want to install to internal instead. Works well really.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Control has a lot of RT on PC - i'm afraid I don't know if/when an XSX patch comes to it though,

There are gamepass and next gen threads on reseterea which list all games, so you might spot an RT one?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure remote downloads (pushing purchases of Gamepass downloads from web/mobile) only work on home console. Maybe save uploads too.
Turnbl

Just to let you both know that this isn't true afaik. Remote downloads, initiated on the app, or on the store, give you an option of which xbox to install to. or indeed which PC. It lists any physical box that has had your profile added to it afaik. I have a gaming PC and three xboxes (don't ask!) and they all get listed.

Save uploads work anywhere and everywhere, assuming the internet connection is working! Again I've logged in to a random xbox at a mates house, and my homescreen, save games etc all appear and available. Bascially if you log into any box it becomes "your" box temporarily and shows all your stuff*.

*again - subject to the internet actually working.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
A few thoughts after a day with the console:
  • The dpad on the controller feels good but the clicky-ness of it is way too loud. Playing Tetris effect sounds like tap dancing. I hope it tones down with more use.
  • I don't like the UI. I am very glad it feels snappy but I honestly think in terms of layout it is a bit of a mess.
  • The console is silent even after playing for many hours which is wonderful. Disc drive certainly makes a bit of noise though when I tested it out with a Blu-ray (not as bad as some videos I have seen online but it does have a bit of a buzz to it).
  • Forza Horizon 4 looks glorious, definitely the most impressive thing I have tried. The fast travel in that game (specifically how fast the loading is) kind of blew me away. Consistent 4K 60 FPS here proves the power the console has.
It is no surprise that there is a bit of a lack of true next gen experiences but I think the console is going to come into its own over the next few years. I didn't pick up any of the 'pro' consoles last gen so this is my first taste of 4K gaming.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I am stuck in the setup.
Anyone got a solution?
The QR code is to download the app. Just open the app add console and type in the code on the screen.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Turnbl

Just to let you both know that this isn't true afaik. Remote downloads, initiated on the app, or on the store, give you an option of which xbox to install to. or indeed which PC. It lists any physical box that has had your profile added to it afaik. I have a gaming PC and three xboxes (don't ask!) and they all get listed.

Save uploads work anywhere and everywhere, assuming the internet connection is working! Again I've logged in to a random xbox at a mates house, and my homescreen, save games etc all appear and available. Bascially if you log into any box it becomes "your" box temporarily and shows all your stuff*.

Ok interesting, good knowledge! So as far as you know the only downside at all to this setup would be unplayable digital games if your internet was completely down (and those would be playable on a home console with internet down)?

I guess with the take-up and ridiculously low cost of Game Pass, is why the feature is being talked about a lot less. But in theory 2 people could share a Game Pass cost in this setup also?

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Just need to figure out how to turn it on then nu8000 49" if anyone knows :D

I also have Samsung TV - I needed to first enable game mode at the input. I then press up on the remote while hovering the game mode option to go to the settings. From there I was able to enable FreeSync. (I did set it to ultimate)
And don't forget to enable VRR afterwards on your console.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Turnbl

Good to know.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
I also have Samsung TV - I needed to first enable game mode at the input. I then press up on the remote while hovering the game mode option to go to the settings. From there I was able to enable FreeSync. (I did set it to ultimate)
And don't forget to enable VRR afterwards on your console.
It's strange how to do it according to rtings I don't have the option , although now you mention it my game mode is currently set to auto so I bet when I open a game in game mode the freesync settings I'm missing show there :) console due today so I'm hoping you have just gave me the brain wave needed :)

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
It's strange how to do it according to rtings I don't have the option , although now you mention it my game mode is currently set to auto so I bet when I open a game in game mode the freesync settings I'm missing show there :) console due today so I'm hoping you have just gave me the brain wave needed :)

Game mode is set per input device. So game mode should be active as soon as you select the console. Otherwise you can simply activate it as described.