• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
I finally got a Series S. This is my first Xbox system so I have a few questions:

Is there a way to reduce the size of the achievement notification? I still wanna see them, don't want to turn them off completely.

If I buy a movie from the store, does it sync with Movies Anyhwhere?

Thanks

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got a Series S. This is my first Xbox system so I have a few questions:

Is there a way to reduce the size of the achievement notification? I still wanna see them, don't want to turn them off completely.

Thanks
Some movies do. They'll have the Movies Anywhere logo.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Thanks
Size...? No I don't think so. You can change the position on the screen though.

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
I'm in the same situation. It's been few days now. Apparently the same issue is affecting many other users as well according to Reddit.
Achievement not tracking is one thing, but it's frustrating to see the related daily 5pt task not registering.
Feels like we're back to the days when the daily achievement reward was under Xbox Reward app and it wasn't working half of the time.

I am. My leaderboard hasn't updated since the 1st of December. Can't recall this ever happening before.

Are you two still having this issue? Mine started working properly for like a day, then it went straight back to being broken again

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
While I am grateful that my Brook Wingman XB (the first one, not the XB2) is still allowing me to use my PS5-based Hori Fightstick Alpha on my Series X,

I really need Xbox to come to a firm decision on whether or not this is going to be a permanent privilege or if they still plan to take it away once they've finished their review. My understanding is that they reeled back their original November accessory policy update based on feedback because of accessibility-based control options, and that's fantastic and I cannot believe the company that was making a huge deal out of being the first with an officially-developed accessibility controller didn't think about that, but anyway...

I'm on the cusp of deciding to keep PS+ or Xbox Game Pass. The latter makes the most sense from an overall value perspective, but that also means I have to play my fighting games on Xbox as I won't be able to play them online on PlayStation anymore. And I won't play fighting games on my Xbox unless my existing accessories work (sorry Xbox, I am not paying ~$100+ for an officially licensed stick on your platform).

That or Brook needs to reveal that they have an Wingman XB3 that's coming out that supports my arcade stick and has official Xbox licensing.

But I need to know fast, both my subs lapse here soon and Tekken 8 is at the end of January...

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
My Xbox Series X doesn't want to display to my monitor sometimes. I'd say 1/10 times I power up the console I have to hold down the power button and reset it to get the picture to show. Anyone else have this issue?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox Series X doesn't want to display to my monitor sometimes. I'd say 1/10 times I power up the console I have to hold down the power button and reset it to get the picture to show. Anyone else have this issue?
Did you try a different cable? Could be occasional handshaking issues

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I have this issue too, same XSX unit w/ sleep mode and the 2.1 HDMI cable from the box hooked up to two TVs. Previously a TCL and now a LG OLED.

Similar to you, my workaround is to voice command a digital assistant to restart the console to get the video to show.

Was always curious if an Xbox or TV update would fix this, but my XSX experience has been like this for years. I don't remember my X1X w/ sleep mode having this issue on the same TCL TV.

I don't play my XSS w/ the 2.0 HDMI cable out of the box enough to see if it has the issue on the old TCL, and I think the key is that I don't keep it on sleep mode, but it reliably displays upon boot with secondary console use.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooooo... just ordered a series S as a secondary console as a playstation player for when my wife is on the ps5. It should come in a few days. Anything I should know ? Planning on picking up gamepass ultimate, is there some way to get it cheap in France ?
Any tips or tricks worth knowing ?

I'll mostly use it to play overwatch 2 without having to play in the pc pool with my wife, but I'm certainly eager to dabble a bit in Xbox games territory as well.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about France specifically but there's a thread on here with tips on converting Xbox Live Gold (the name is different now but I donno what it's called) to Game Pass Ultimate - the ratio for converting isn't as generous as it used to be tho.

Check out the Forza Horizon games if you like racing games, they're very good and pretty on a quality screen.
FH is definitely on my list, I've already played 4 a bit a while ago !
Didn't they stop XBL Gold ?

Oct 27, 2017
Sooooooo... just ordered a series S as a secondary console as a playstation player for when my wife is on the ps5. It should come in a few days. Anything I should know ? Planning on picking up gamepass ultimate, is there some way to get it cheap in France ?
Any tips or tricks worth knowing ?

I'll mostly use it to play overwatch 2 without having to play in the pc pool with my wife, but I'm certainly eager to dabble a bit in Xbox games territory as well.

There are a lot of quality games on Game Pass. If you need any recommendations, I can suggest a bunch if you need any. Doing the 3:2 conversion trick from above, Game Pass Ultimate works out to be around $7.20/month for 2 years, which is an insane value.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
It got renamed Game Pass Core and has a select amount of games available. You can still get Gold codes online on certain sites.

This is the thread I was talking about in my previous post:

www.resetera.com

Does the 3 year of Xbox Gold upgrade to Game Pass still work? (update: yes but now at 3:2 conversion) Microsoft

UPDATE JULY 2023 I've never had a gamepass subscription. Microsoft allows you to upgrade your Gold Subscription to Game Pass Ultimate for $1. I remember that you used to be able to stack 3 years of Xbox Live gold and then do the $1 upgrade to get 3 years of Game Pass for $180 (or cheaper)...

God bless

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of quality games on Game Pass. If you need any recommendations, I can suggest a bunch if you need any. Doing the 3:2 conversion trick from above, Game Pass Ultimate works out to be around $7.20/month for 2 years, which is an insane value.
Recommend away !
I'm really not a fan of anything halo tho.
Does Gears of War hold up ? FH is definitely on my list.

Oct 27, 2017
Recommend away !
I'm really not a fan of anything halo tho.
Does Gears of War hold up ? FH is definitely on my list.

I'll break this down to my personal picks on Game Pass (games that I completed) to games that I know are generally well regarded/well liked by the community. Again, the below can all be played on Game Pass.

Personal Picks

1st party - Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Prey, Evil Within 1/2
Indies/3rd party - Death's Door, Tunic, Jusant, Plant of Lana, Cocoon, Lies of P, Solar Ash, Bramble, Amnesia the Bunker, A Plague Tale Requiem, Celeste, A Short Hike, TOEM, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge, Somerville (not liked by a lot of people, but I thought it was enjoyable), F.I.S.T.

Community Picks

1st party - Psychonauts 2, Hi Fi Rush, Forza Horizon 5, Grounded, Starfield (not overwhelmingly positive but worth a try regardless), Gears of War (I'm not a fan of the series, but since they're all on Game Pass, they're at least worth trying), Pentiment, Lost Odyssey (not on Game Pass, but can be purchased for $6.24 (on sale right now) ).

Indies/3rd Party

Remnant II, Dead Space Remake, Sea of Stars, Rollerdrome, Fuga Melodies of Steel 2

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but these are the ones that stick out to me. And of course, I'm sure others will have different picks as well.

Last edited:

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Did Callisto Protocol ever get fixed on Xbox? I'm tempted to pick it up now it's on sale, but remember the game launching quite a bit rougher than the PS5 version.

Apo11o

Jun 16, 2022
Did Callisto Protocol ever get fixed on Xbox? I'm tempted to pick it up now it's on sale, but remember the game launching quite a bit rougher than the PS5 version.

It seemed fine for me. Most of the issues were related to the ray tracing implementation on the quality mode, which I'm pretty sure was patched and fixed. I played through the whole game without any performance problems, thought it looked great and had a good time with it. Not an original game and the combat takes a bit of getting used to, but there's mileage to be had.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
It seemed fine for me. Most of the issues were related to the ray tracing implementation on the quality mode, which I'm pretty sure was patched and fixed. I played through the whole game without any performance problems, thought it looked great and had a good time with it. Not an original game and the combat takes a bit of getting used to, but there's mileage to be had.

That's great, thanks very much. Think I'll pull the trigger!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a refund for a digital game to process. The refund request was immediately approved, but in my Microsoft account it's still showing that I own the game. I called customer support after a week of waiting and they said they are running about two weeks behind on refunds because of a backlog of requests since the holidays. I've done a few refunds over the years and never had this issue.

My Series X also had a great moment where after I turned it on, nothing would open. Either a game or app. I then tried to reset it, and during the process the screen went black and then it just was stuck and the Xbox button was flashing endlessly so I had to literally unplug it to fix it.

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hi guys. I've not yet been able to figure this out. I play my Series S on a 32" Gaming Monitor which has HDR. But I cannot set the Series S to output HDR, the Series S doesn't recognise my monitor as being HDR. Using HDMI.

My monitor has what it calls 'HDR 2048' and an Auto HDR option but none of those work. However my M1 Mac mini on the same monitor recognises HDR immediately.

Any ideas on how to get the Series S working in HDR?

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. I've not yet been able to figure this out. I play my Series S on a 32" Gaming Monitor which has HDR. But I cannot set the Series S to output HDR, the Series S doesn't recognise my monitor as being HDR. Using HDMI.

My monitor has what it calls 'HDR 2048' and an Autk HDR option but none of those work. However my M1 Mac mini on the same monitor recognises HDR immediately.

Any ideas on how to get the Series S working in HDR?
It needs to be set to 4K. Won't do HDR at 1440p not 1080p.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
They finally implemented touch controls for remote play on the Xbox app, at least on Android. About time. I've been sending that as feedback for years.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any competitive edge in playing Halo Infinite on a Series X instead of a Series S? Been playing on the XSS since launch, but lately my friend who plays on a XSX has gotten much better. Just seeing if trading in my XSS towards a XSX would help balance the scales at all.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Is there any competitive edge in playing Halo Infinite on a Series X instead of a Series S? Been playing on the XSS since launch, but lately my friend who plays on a XSX has gotten much better. Just seeing if trading in my XSS towards a XSX would help balance the scales at all.
I mean only in the sense that the resolution is higher and framerate is more stable. PC would have this even better

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Multiplayer on xss as far as ive seen is a solid 60 so no not really. Unless you play 120 fps then maybe? But having higher framerates arent going to make you better per say.