• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Got my Xbox Series X setup and theres not one game I feel like playing. First time there isn't a game I want to play at a console's launch. At least with the PS5 on Thursday, I got DS.
For me it's the opposite. I missed on so many games this now past gen and I'm also new to the xbox ecosystem so almost everything is new to me. It's frankly overwhelming.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Does series X not download while it's on rest mode? It has wiped out a ton of gigs already trying to download FH4.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Weird, i can't get through the intro to AC Valhalla. It either freezes or my series x turns off. And my series X isn't hot so it's not overheating.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
IMG-20201110-194859-459.jpg

Finally had time to set up and enjoy a pour of whiskey. This is a great console, Gears 5 on series X is gorgeous, and I love how snappy the dashboard is! Cheers Era

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I am starting to get irritated now. So Dirt 5 after hours and hours of downloading finally finished. But when I launch the game it allows to me to only race 2 tracks and has a "game installation" progress bar with no progress. No main menu, no nothing, but the option to play on 2 different tracks and that is it. I started the game a few days ago on Xbox One X and no issues...but somehthing is now wrong.

My FOrza Horizon 4 Lego expansion has been downloading for over an hour and is only at 12%. It only downloaded less than 1gb of the 6 in a total hour with a 1gig connection. WTF?

Sorry...just really frustrated that i can't enjoy my new system due to issues...and i am not sure if is just network related. I just checked Dirt 5 and it is completely updated and residing on my Internal Series X SSD.
Downloads are way slower when a game is running (active or in the background).

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Got my Xbox Series X setup and theres not one game I feel like playing. First time there isn't a game I want to play at a console's launch. At least with the PS5 on Thursday, I got DS.

what games haven't you played on Xbox that aren't available on PS? Maybe people could helpmove you into something if you give us some options. Or go to gamepass and hit the surprise me button? Also, don't forget that EA Play is now part of that ecosystem...

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Can't recall if nier automata ran 60fps on one x but it's soooo good on series x lol

is there a way to check if I have any games in the background? My current download is crawling

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Can you turn off Quick Resume in the console settings? Might be a good idea for folks to disable it if possible to make sure no games or applications are running and slowing their downloads.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, i can't get through the intro to AC Valhalla. It either freezes or my series x turns off. And my series X isn't hot so it's not overheating.
Same thing is happening to me on my One X. I cannot get through the Ice scene, before console shuts off. I figured it was a bug, so I've restarted the DL again since I have Fiber internet.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So Forza Horizon 4 has a black screen at the title screen and if you start a new game, the intro movie is also a black screen. Any ideas? I'm fully updated.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a good understanding of how these X/S updates are suppose to work. I had Dirt 5 installed on a external USB SSD. When I launched the game it said it needed an update for the Series X. So it downloaded it for a very long time. But now that it is done, the game when launched only lets you play two tracks, no menu, no settings screen and it has a "game installation progress bar" but in my download que the game is done.

When I use the dashboard it says it is saved in 2 locations, the internal and my usb SSD. But when you look for it on the USB SSD you can't find it. It is only on the internal now. No matter what I do, it wont let me play the actual game other than 2 tracks because it thinks it is still installing when there is nothing in my que.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Downloaded:

DOOM Eternal
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 5
Ori
Red Dead Redemption II
Tetris Effect
Tales of Vesperia DE
Skate 3

That'll keep me busy for a while

Cool machine

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
can any of you guys audibly hear your Series X? Mine is in a wood entertainment console with a mostly closed back and open front and about 6 inches of space to the side for the fan. I'm hearing the fan spinning up now.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Same thing is happening to me on my One X. I cannot get through the Ice scene, before console shuts off. I figured it was a bug, so I've restarted the DL again since I have Fiber internet.
I was worried that my Series X was overheat but it's not even warm before it crashes and i tried Yakuza/Apex/Watch Dogs and they seem fine.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I love the new DPAD, I use stick for fighters but the new DPAD is EXCELLENT for Shmups and platformers and to think the Xbox 360 DPAD at one point was considered one of the worst. The Xbox controller has come a very long way.

The new Octogonal DPAD on the Series S|X controller feels precise and considering I'd typically prefer to use a 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ on Steam, I'm half tempted to get a second Series X controller strictly for PC usage.

It's not mushy like most dpads. Each of the cardinal directions has a solid click that almost feels like a microswitch similar to that of an Arcade Stick.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
can any of you guys audibly hear your Series X? Mine is in a wood entertainment console with a mostly closed back and open front and about 6 inches of space to the side for the fan. I'm hearing the fan spinning up now.
I have yet to hear mine

I went to reboot it and it's not doing anything. Screen is black, power is still on. Wtf lol

edit: nvm it came back finally lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What battery pack do you guys recommend for the Xbox controller? Since the controller has a USB input, can that recharge batteries inside the controller? I don't get it lol

You could invest in eneloop batteries. I have mine charging in the wall, but I'm sure they'll also charge em you usb the controller to the console.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried that my Series X was overheat but it's not even warm before it crashes and i tried Yakuza/Apex/Watch Dogs and they seem fine.
Yea, my one X Just cuts off, and when I restart it I get the console overheating message but it doesnt do it when I play any other game. My DL should be finished soon, so I can check to see if the first time around it was bugged or something. Weird.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Some thoughts so far:

- Its silent, I literally cannot hear it.
- Load in for new games and quick resume is immensely fast (coming from a One X).
- Controller is beautiful to hold and use. I love the grip textures.
- Played a couple game that were patched in like State of Decay 2, sooo buttery smooth now at 60 fps. I hope this is the standard framerate now because its supreme.
- The physical box itself is a lot smaller than I thought, its very sleek and stylish.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 has load times down to around 5 /6 seconds when you select a character. Pretty sure it was over 10 seconds on Xbox One X. Maybe even 15 sec.

But rematching is almost instant. It's awesome. I'm no longer able to take a glance at my phone during intermissions now. That's how much I'm used to downtime during loading screens.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
My Series X came! It is pretty cold so stealing an idea someone else mentioned and letting it come to room temperature before plugging it all in. (Plus need to finish moving games from my 1X to my external).

Can't wait to play AC Valhalla!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The triggers on the new Xbox controller are a good bit smaller than the Xbox one controller, I noticed it almost immediately when I held it then put them side by side, don't like that

the back of the controller also feels much rougher than the old controller almost like sand paper

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just got mine plugged in and set up. first impression: I hate that the ui is the same. not that I hate the ui, it's... fine. but going up a generation and seeing the exact same shit is not exciting whatsoever. same goes with the controller. it's just more of the same. It's already a great controller, I get it... but still. new gen after 7 years and all, kind of hoped for more even though I've known for months it wouldn't be. Ps5 definitely has a bit more excitement factor there. but ps5 ain't have gamepass either sooo... looks like I get both anyway because I am a consumer whore. excited to try out quick resume and stuff. I need a better TV to appreciate anything else!

edit: I still can't believe how bad the game pass app is for looking at games. no way to full screen the trailer? really? can't left/right through screenshots... REALLY? MS you can do better

edit 2: downloads showing in Mbps instead of MB, not sure how I feel about that. guess it's whatever.

also, I thought tetris was a game pass game at launch? is it not?? :( :( edit3: okay, I found it, but I had to search for it. It wasn't showing in my game pass. Is this normal? How many other games have I been missing? :(

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I've "turned off" my console a couple times today, only to turn it back on later and see some of the games have had their installations stopped in the interim. This is despite having my system set to instant-on. Is this normal?

Sorry guys, but asking ^ again. It seems like the system loses my internet connection sometime after I put it to sleep, rendering background downloads moot. It also goes through a signing in screen when firing the console up again that I assume is related to this. Not sure if it's the system or my network.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The triggers on the new Xbox controller are a good bit smaller than the Xbox one controller, I noticed it almost immediately when I held it then put them side by side, don't like that

the back of the controller also feels much rougher than the old controller almost like sand paper

Feels like there's grip tape on the back of the controller. I like it. During my 3 hour session I don't think I had to take my hands off of the sticks to wipe the sweat off my palms.

Also I'm saying it again...Xbox finally has a standard controller with an awesome dpad. Love the clicks!

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Love the build of the system.. love how snappy everything is. I can not wait to be blown away.. but I also have a hard time feeling like this is a new gen. I unplugged my X1X.. and logged into my XSX and it is all there.. yes it is faster and so forth but man we needed that it game to go with it. I think if even the UI was different I would be more into it. I understand why things are the way they are.. but it certainly is a strange transition.