• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The single worst thing about this game is not being able to switch out the first pick character.
Like wtf.
I dont need a god damn thief to fight such a hard optional boss.

Anyways . Unless the stories drastically improve this game is sounding like a 8/10 for me. Visuals have lost their charm , some stories are good others are meh. Game is also kinda grindy and there are some serious design issues. Oh and fuck the encounter rate and the black vignette.

Done with about 5 or 6 of my teams ch2 and getting my teeth kicked in by steora or whatever her name is. The magic lady boss in the optional cave.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I am really starting to hate going back and forth changing parties and equipment everytime im doing new main quest or leveling them up.

I feel like 8 characters were a mistake.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Does the scholar divine skill only after spells, or does it also after e.g. the thief's divine skill?

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
just finished all chapter 1s

should I dive in to chapter 2s or is it in my best interest to explore a bit and do some caves?

my highest guy is level 20

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Just got the game and I have 2 questions.

1) I have no idea who should I start with. I played the demo only for 1 hour with Olberic. Other characters seem interesting too but I dont want to spoil myself their chapter 1.

2) Should I split my party into 2 groups (like OCTO and PATH)? I know I cant swap the leader of the group until I complete his/her chapter 4. I dont want to have the other 4 characters op because of the high rank equipment though.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After six and a half hours I've had enough of the game. I couldn't care less about the story and everything is so repetitive. I haven't unlocked all the characters yet but I don't feel like putting any more time into it.
I'm at 10 hours now and I feel the same. This game is tedious af. The map layout is so uninspired and boring and it drives me insane how passive party members are during some story points. And the stupidest thing is.... They just join your party because reasons.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad. Check chapter 4 town areas for the shrine ping on the radar. Try and get near the icon. Look for a gap in walls and what not to do so. End up at shrine. Helps that Chapter 4 areas are small.
I'm not sure if it's a Cyrus special ability or it just shows them but the shrine icon appears on the mini map and I just followed the icon to them.
Yeah, that's why. I turned off the mini map lol. I think it's really invasive. And with that I just found two more job shrines on my own by studying the map carefully. Some of the paths to them were indeed a bit hidden if you don't have the radar on. Only one remaining!

Last edited:

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
The single worst thing about this game is not being able to switch out the first pick character.
Like wtf.
I dont need a god damn thief to fight such a hard optional boss.

Anyways . Unless the stories drastically improve this game is sounding like a 8/10 for me. Visuals have lost their charm , some stories are good others are meh. Game is also kinda grindy and there are some serious design issues. Oh and fuck the encounter rate and the black vignette.

Done with about 5 or 6 of my teams ch2 and getting my teeth kicked in by steora or whatever her name is. The magic lady boss in the optional cave.

You can switch them out after you beat their story. The stories usually get pretty interesting near the end from what I've seen. I've already completed half of them.

The encounter rate can be lowered by the first support skill you get from the Scholar job, I think it halves it or otherwise reduces it by an extreme margin to where you can move zones without a single fight.

I wouldn't say the game is grindy, especially when the only thing that really matters is your equipment and not level.

Do you mean the Starseer? I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to fight her if you're still on Chapter 2s, she's meant to be taken down around level 50 or so.

Does the scholar divine skill only after spells, or does it also after e.g. the thief's divine skill?

No, it affects every skill to my knowledge. However, I'm almost certain it does not affect other divine skills. In literally almost every single one of a divine skill's description, you'll see they say they don't affect other divine skills.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For the life of me I can't figure out how to get to Saintsbridge to start Cyrus's Chapter 2. The map doesn't show any paths leading down there. HALP!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
LOL Tressa completely trivializes Winnehild. I love Tressa.

It's actually the very first time I used Hired Help. I didn't know she could boost your party's defense for just 150 gold. What a bargain!

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can switch them out after you beat their story. The stories usually get pretty interesting near the end from what I've seen. I've already completed half of them.

The encounter rate can be lowered by the first support skill you get from the Scholar job, I think it halves it or otherwise reduces it by an extreme margin to where you can move zones without a single fight.

I wouldn't say the game is grindy, especially when the only thing that really matters is your equipment and not level.

Do you mean the Starseer? I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to fight her if you're still on Chapter 2s, she's meant to be taken down around level 50 or so

welp you can change them then nice
Yeah starseer , you see, about that.....I kinda got sidetracked a while ago and I've already killed 3 of her buddies in the other caves.

LOL Tressa completely trivializes Winnehild. I love Tressa.

It's actually the very first time I used Hired Help. I didn't know she could boost your party's defense for just 150 gold. What a bargain!

How so?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm almost done. Just some chapters 4 left. Now I need to grind again for the bonus jobs. The game is really repetitive and grindy near the end.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The main character being locked to the party (Thief in my case) was annoying me due to the restrictions it puts on some strategies, esp when fighting optional bosses. So I decided to complete chap 3 and 4 for him. His story was pretty meh to be honest. Don't really have much to add coz I felt all his chapters just ended up being the same.

Anyway. Now I no longer have a main locked to the party and have a good 60% of the game to go. Feels good!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Any tips for Ophilia Chapter 3 boss?

Didn't have much trouble with the other chapter 3 bosses so far. Are there skills to buff elemental defense for the whole group? Also, how to unbuff the two bosses when they raise their elemental attack? I got destroyed last time and will probably have to change equipment, too. Also, even when both foes shields were broken, some weaknesses would still not be attackable?

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Merchant is one of the subjobs I still haven't assigned anyone, and it'll give him access to that 4th magic element.
Personally I use Cleric as it seems the most obvious fit. When I had a surplus of JP (really doesn't take long) you can just dump all that in the Merchant job and only equip the (very useful) final subskill and just switch back to another more useful job. You keep all the subskills you unlock even if you switch jobs.

As a sidenote I find Cyrus to be completely op. With his skillset he can do some absolutely bonkers damage early on. I don;t mind though, I like having an op character.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
No, it affects every skill to my knowledge. However, I'm almost certain it does not affect other divine skills. In literally almost every single one of a divine skill's description, you'll see they say they don't affect other divine skills.
Well, that's why I asked: the divine scholar skill description, unlike the others, doesn't say it doesn'T affect other divine skills; however, it is also the only one that speaks of "spells" and not "skills"
For comparison: cleric:
For 3 turns, skills performed by a single chosen ally will perform twice (this will not affect other divine skills)
scholar:
For 3 turns, spells cast by a single chosen ally that usually targets all foes will instead be focused on a single foe at increased intensity

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Ophilia Chapter 3 boss? Didn't have much trouble with the other chapter 3 bosses so far. Are there skills to buff elemental defense for the whole group? Also, how to unbuff the two bosses when they raise their elemental attack? I got destroyed last time and will probably have to change equipment, too. Also, even when both foes shields were broken, some weaknesses would still not be attackable?
You need to kill the minions first to unlock the weaknesses. Use Incite and Leghold Trap to control the flow of the battle. Don't gamble on the RNG. Saving Grace on your characters will help a lot.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's why I asked: the divine scholar skill description, unlike the others, doesn't say it doesn'T affect other divine skills; however, it is also the only one that speaks of "spells" and not "skills"
For comparison: cleric:
For 3 turns, skills performed by a single chosen ally will perform twice (this will not affect other divine skills)
scholar:
For 3 turns, spells cast by a single chosen ally that usually targets all foes will instead be focused on a single foe at increased intensity
Scholar's divine doesn't affect other divines, even tho the localisation text doesn't mention it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
You need to kill the minions first to unlock the weaknesses. Use Incite and Leghold Trap to control the flow of the battle. Don't gamble on the RNG. Saving Grace on your characters will help a lot.

Don't have Saving Grace unlocked yet. Not sure we are talking about the same fight. Incite does not really help against their elemental AOE...

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So close, SO. CLOSE. To being perfect. And they just had to fuck it up right at the end. God fucking damn it.

It doesn't take away much from how good the game is overall but it's like...come on guys. You TRIPPED the finish line. Fuck

I think the following will be very helpful, but it is a spoiler:

Just look up the true final boss in advance once you beat all 8 stories and prepare accordingly. Nothing about the marathon fight is intuitive and in addition you have to beat 8 bosses in a row beforehand with no save points. Complete, utter shite, how they can make an entire game so good and then fuck up literally the very last part is just beyond me. Put a save point like you did everywhere else in the game, ugh.

And specifically keep in mind that what the game calls your """secondary team""" actually has to solo the entire final phase of the boss. What the fuck were they thinking...

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Don't have Saving Grace unlocked yet. Not sure we are talking about the same fight. Incite does not really help against their elemental AOE...

We need more info. What level are you? What's your party?

I just beat it a few hours ago and finished it In a few minutes (was over leveled) but I never saw it as some threat even if your level 38.

My melee members made breaks so easy

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The two mages, right? They have single target spells too (Arcane Blade). What you definitely don't want is to have your damage dealing character with a bunch of BP saved up die to some random attack. And what did you spend your JP on if you don't have enough to learn Saving Grace in chapter 3? It's a little under 5000 JP to learn the skill.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So close, SO. CLOSE. To being perfect. And they just had to fuck it up right at the end. God fucking damn it.

It doesn't take away much from how good the game is overall but it's like...come on guys. You TRIPPED the finish line. Fuck

I think the following will be very helpful, but it is a spoiler:

Just look up the true final boss in advance once you beat all 8 stories and prepare accordingly. Nothing about the marathon fight is intuitive and in addition you have to beat 8 bosses in a row beforehand with no save points. Complete, utter shite, how they can make an entire game so good and then fuck up literally the very last part is just beyond me. Put a save point like you did everywhere else in the game, ugh.

And specifically keep in mind that what the game calls your """secondary team""" actually has to solo the entire final phase of the boss. What the fuck were they thinking...

This is bumming me out real hard. I'm so close to selling this game off while it's still in high demand...

Hated that shit in Final Fantasy III too.

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Man, this game is amazing. 15 hours in and I just want to say that anyone who was worried about the stories not being connected, it does not matter AT ALL. I haven't even thought about it once in the whole time I have been playing and have been absolutely intrigued by every story. What a game.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Cyrus' story gets pretty dark. Definitely one for more experienced gamers.

But going by the game a lot better now. hooked.

So glad this is selling, want a sequel. Best third party switch game of 2018 so far. Heck would say it's one of the best overall thus far. Not even completed 4 of the stories yet

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm enjoying all the stories so far and I don't share all the complains about writing. I think that the story is far more engrossing that in Bravely Default, and the combats are better too. I'm hyped to see how the next games can expand and improve on the ideas created for OT.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Why didn't you use reflect on the whole party for the last one?
I tried it but she seem to have a triggered response when hit with a reflect move, which was to remove all the buffs and make them unbuffable for several rounds. The status protection buff from apo didn't protect from it either. That was my experience at least, it happened 3 times in a row which made it not worth it for me. Unless there's a way to remove the unbuffable debuff which I couldn't figure out (except ko).

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is bumming me out real hard. I'm so close to selling this game off while it's still in high demand...

Hated that shit in Final Fantasy III too.
It's not as bad as FF3 because the 8 bosses are literally a boss rush and not a full dungeon, but still for a final boss where so many different strategies come into play, so many moving parts, such a complicated fight, etc., they expect you to only experiment and try different strategies after wading through 8 boss fights beforehand. The only thing I can say to that is...what the fuck were they thinking. It's terrible. Just look up good strategies for the final boss, prep in advance and save yourself 1-3 hours of literally wasted time.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I did one chapter 4 and tried 2 hidden sub boss (Rune Sword and Archmage)
clearly a NOPE for the Archmage. He destroys my stats with no way to remove the debuff. So I focused on the Rune guy.

And... it was easy BUT I had one shonen moment. He judg AoE damage/sleep/stun (lol) my team.
He gets like 2,5 full turns of attacks. 2 dead, 2 injured, hunter awake, clercic still sleeping.
I managed to fully break the boss thanks to an extra turn (patience) and arrow rain. Clercic revives the group...
And then it all went so well. I side steped to be sure to have one always "ok" and reduced the boss's attack regularly as well as attract is attention on evasive H'aanit.

I was very pleased with how I could still survive despite all odds.
GREAT balance.

And since I'm forced to have a specific group (rogues) it's nice to see things work out anyway.

Gonna laugh on these other chapter 4 boss now. All hail Praising Grace and Patience.
Not sure how you guys can find all the secret job shrines so quickly without reading spoilers. I scoured the map and they seem to be hidden well.
I found 2 just going to new towns. Really it's nothing special.
Just observe the road for slightly hidden paths.
There's no way I use a guide. And it's clearly not hard enough to find to be worth checking the answers. It's like looking for chests.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how you guys can find all the secret job shrines so quickly without reading spoilers. I scoured the map and they seem to be hidden well.

If you explore the areas then they aren't hard to find at all, even without a radar on. The only one you might have trouble with is Starseer's

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Does the structure of this game change at all after Chapter 2? So far it's been this:

- Go to the story waypoint with a character;
- Listen/read cutscene dialog;
- Chat to some people nearby, perform path actions on 2-3 characters, or just follow the green waypoints;
- Listen/read cutscene dialog (with minor stylistic differences per character, e.g. giving the right answers with Cyrus);
- Walk through the dungeon (i.e. no puzzles or other mechanics, no labyrinthine area, only corridors) and kill the boss.

Right now, I feel like I don't really need to play any more of it to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Does the structure of this game change at all after Chapter 2? So far it's been this:

- Chat to some people nearby, perform path actions on 2-3 characters, or just follow the green waypoints;
- Listen/read cutscene dialog (with minor stylistic differences per character, e.g. giving the right answers with Cyrus);
- Walk through the dungeon (i.e. no puzzles or other mechanics, no labyrinthine area, only corridors) and kill the boss.

Right now, I feel like I don't really need to play any more of it to get an idea of what I'm in for.

That's pretty much it until the end.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm level 51 without even trying. Only 1 last chapter done. I barely used bewildering. I still don't see why so many people need to grind so much during the game. Maybe because of poorly thought/prepared teams/setups ?

- Walk through the dungeon and kill the boss.

And I feel like I don't really need to play any more of it to get an idea of what I'm in for.
You don't. Time to play something else it seems. Too bad it didn't work for you.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017