Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat her a few minutes ago. My group was mid - high 50s

Opphilia
Olbric
Therion
Cyrus

The key thing I did was use ophillias divine skill on Cyrus so when she has 12 armor to break, I can break it before she attacks me.

I had Therion poison throughout the fight while sharing sp and olbric using boost items and putting leg hold. Took about 20 minutes to finish. It was more of a slow burn rather than going crazy nuking it
I'm an idiot. I was struggling breaking her fast enough at 4+ weapons and completely slipped my mind that her divine skill gives him 6 freaking hits which with leg hold that I was using is enough to break before a second turn. That was because I was always using her to top people and buff him or haanit for their break burst that I completely forgot about it.
Thank you.

I wonder if keeping therion thief/merchant and going for that divine skill and then feeding the party BP when I can is worth it over poison through the whole fight. I have to inagine I will only be able to pull that twice minimum before the urgancy to break, debuff, or so share becomes too critical.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Finished Tressa's story. Probably my favorite so far.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I was unprepared for the
Warlord fight, but made it to the point where she started getting five(!) attacks per round before I got ripped apart. If I had my equipment specced for Physical Defense instead of Phys, Elemental and Evasion, I maybe could have managed it better.

...I should probably finish up some of these chapter 3s that have been sitting around first though.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
General question regarding the game (I'm still about 3 hours in only).
Are bosses difficulty set or do they level up with you?
I have Therion as my main character and got Ophilia as my second character. I'm trying to do her first boss right now but I have a feeling I'm still to weak since the two things that immolate themselves usually destroy me. I get how to kill them but I was thinking it'd be faster to also level up a bit more so they don't kill me. Would that work?

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried to fight the boss in the Forest of No Return and died mercilessly partly bc
My Cyrus was spirited away! Do the spirited away characters ever come back?? Also very appropriate ability for the boss.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Okay

Got a couple sidequests I'm stuck on/working to figure out:

Scaredy Sheep--I know where the fight I'm looking for is, haven't beaten it yet
Theracio's Tutelage III--I'm guessing a Professor Bastete spawned or something and I'm looking for him to guide to Theracio. Usually you can finish these quests in the same town as where they occur though, so might just be missing something in Whispermill
Lost in Translation--I've tried bringing him Paul (who'd been overseas) and that adventure in the coastlands whose scrutinize talks about loving a guy who adventured overseas. Haven't found the right person to bring.
Hello Again Harald--Assume I'm looking to buy back the necklace, haven't seen it.
Star of the Stage--Both actors I've encountered have been used in other ways--one for Kit and one was that brigand outside Saint's Bridge. EDIT: Face palm...got it.
Daughter of a Dark God III--Need to find it to start it. Presuming it exists as II was a cliffhanger
Kit II (III)--Need to find it to start it.

Just tried to fight the boss in the Forest of No Return and died mercilessly partly bc
My Cyrus was spirited away! Do the spirited away characters ever come back?? Also very appropriate ability for the boss.

Fun boss imo.

when you break, they come back iirc

Last edited:

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Okay

Theracio's Tutelage III--I'm guessing a Professor Bastete spawned or something and I'm looking for him to guide to Theracio. Usually you can finish these quests in the same town as where they occur though, so might just be missing something in Whispermill
Lost in Translation--I've tried bringing him Paul (who'd been overseas) and that adventure in the coastlands whose scrutinize talks about loving a guy who adventured overseas. Haven't found the right person to bring.
Star of the Stage--Both actors I've encountered have been used in other ways--one for Kit and one was that brigand outside Saint's Bridge.
Daughter of a Dark God III--Need to find it to start it. Presuming it exists as II was a cliffhanger

Fun boss imo.

when you break, they come back iirc

Oh thanks! I'd try again but I was underleveled anyways, might pick back up later.

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
I was unprepared for the
Warlord fight, but made it to the point where she started getting five(!) attacks per round before I got ripped apart. If I had my equipment specced for Physical Defense instead of Phys, Elemental and Evasion, I maybe could have managed it better.

...I should probably finish up some of these chapter 3s that have been sitting around first though.

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until 7 attacks per turn and so on.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
When is the best time to go for the subclass shrines? I'm going around doing all the chapter 1s right now.

After you've recruited Cyrus for the encounter reduction passive, as the shrines are in the next tier of area (20-30). They're normally near the entrances, so with that passive it's easy to get them while 10-15 in CH1.

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
Determination and Battle At Journey's End are sooooo good.

So far, after three stories being beaten (Primrose, Cyrus, and Ophelia), I've cried immensely during all of their chapter 4s (usually during the boss battle and/or certain scenes). During the first phase against Simeon having Determination play just left me awestruck and I couldn't help but cry throughout, especially the contrast of having to fight a puppet of Primrose and her father as Simeon mostly just watched. Determination also played during the end of Cyrus' chapter and it also teared me up hearing about his goals and motivation about knowledge as well as his faith in people as he decided to not destroy the book. Not to mention At A Journey's End playing is while fighting these final bosses, I couldn't help but just hum it and pumped myself up as I lived vicariously through the characters. The ending of Ophelia with the bird and their father, and leading Lianna to the top of the mountain was also super heartwarming.

Last edited:

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Okay

Hello Again Harald--Assume I'm looking to buy back the necklace, haven't seen it.
Star of the Stage--Both actors I've encountered have been used in other ways--one for Kit and one was that brigand outside Saint's Bridge. EDIT: Face palm...got it.

Yeah that boss fight for the sheep one is pretty intense.
Professor Bastete should be in Alfyn's hometown somewhere.
I believe the woman you're looking for Lost in Translation lives in Tressa's hometown. Only reason I remembered is I tried to bring her to translate that Beowulf tablet on a previous quest.
The necklace should be for sale in a hidden room in Wellspring. Gotta beat up the guard to get in. This one took me awhile.
You can find the starting position for Kit's 2nd mission along the Moonstruck Coast in the Coastlands. There is no III mission for Kit or Lyblac but you do come across both of them in different quests.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do subquest waypoints appear on the map in any way? I've gotten a number of them and maybe solved one on accident.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that boss fight for the sheep one is pretty intense.
Professor Bastete should be in Alfyn's hometown somewhere.
I believe the woman you're looking for Lost in Translation lives in Tressa's hometown. Only reason I remembered is I tried to bring her to translate that Beowulf tablet on a previous quest.
The necklace should be for sale in a hidden room in Wellspring. Gotta beat up the guard to get in. This one took me awhile.
You can find the starting position for Kit's 2nd mission along the Moonstruck Coast in the Coastlands. There is no III mission for Kit or Lyblac but you do come across both of them in different quests.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Torn between:

- stealing everything I can, no matter how long it takes
- fighting to shrines and in the process grinding up some exp and jp for my characters
- trying to figure out some sidequests from earlier areas

Also torn between:

- Getting a solid group of four and pushing through those stories until they end
- Keeping a core group but still continuing to rotate everyone in and out to try and finish everyone's story consistently

I have 3/8 subjobs unlocked and my Olberic is level 25 now. I have done none of the chapter 2 stuff.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Sidequest help:
I have no idea how to proceed with Kit's second quest. He's asking if I know any adventurers who would travel with him, but I've gone to almost all of the towns in the game and I have not found such a group.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Sidequest help:
I have no idea how to proceed with Kit's second quest. He's asking if I know any adventurers who would travel with him, but I've gone to almost all of the towns in the game and I have not found such a group.

There's an actor looking for a partner on the next screen over.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I was having an easy time with the game so far and was getting cocky. Leviathan just suplexed me into oblivion and made me humble.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
So I got two of the secret jobs, thanks to a handy Gamefaqs post that provided some good strategies: (Are we allowed to link to other forums here?)

Starseer: I had two clerics on the team, Ophelia and Therion. Reflective Veil was key to this fight as this boss kept throwing elemental AoE magic at me. Also, USE SAVING GRACE. Healing you up to 9999 HP is pretty much mandatory for these fights. The main strategy here is basically just stall, stall, and stall with Reflective Veil and Poison. I had Cyrus on the side to offer some extra damage and had Hunter as his secondary job for leghold trap.

Sorcerer: With Primrose as Starseer and Ophelia as Dancer, this fight becomes a lot easier with the right set-up. Using Dancer's divine skill on Ophelia, Reflective Veil casts to everybody, and with Starseer boosting BP and buffing up defensive, you pretty much become invincible in this fight once you can set up reflective veil's back to back.

May 9, 2018
So there's a hilarious mega-damage-dealing technique that might actually not be intended.

The Runelord's Runes are intended to give you bonus damage / Break. But Rune damage scales off of Ele.Atk, apparently. If you Transfer Runes to a character with high-Ele.Atk and just do a normal attack with a Staff, the damage is massive. (tens of thousands even without a Break).

And it consumes 0 BP and SP (or you can use it on a Sorcerer where their Ele.Def Down skill will trigger the rune for extra fun).

Reddit source with more ways to abuse it.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Someone pls help me with Ophelia's Chapter 2 boss, cause this thing is ridiculous.

I don't remember the specifics of that fight, but for almost every boss fight, all I do is use H'aanit's leghold trap on the boss' first turn, break it before it next has a chance to act, and then deal as much damage as possible. Rinse and repeat. If you don't use H'aanit, then you can just sub any of your other characters as a hunter. I have never lost to a character chapter boss utilizing this strat, even when I didn't have high-tier equipment.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
Leghold Trap is awesome but I also have found that once applied you need to keep it up 100%. Otherwise the boss will attack at the end of the turn and then again at the start of the turn which pretty much always wipes my party with back to back AoE attacks.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Yep! You definitely need to manage it and pay attention to the turn order. I've lost to some of the 4 subclass bosses due to lapses in attention and me not keeping track of it. As long as you stay attentive, though, it's a freaking amazing skill that makes fights so much easier.

Last edited:

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Starting to run into a big issue with this game. I really like it so far, don't get me wrong, but I am getting the sense that the difficulty curve is kind of messed up.

I have two Chapter 2s left to go (Therion/Ophelia) but have been finding almost all of them pretty braindead in terms of combat. The first one was quite challenging (Tressa), the second one made me think (Cyrus), and the rest I stomped all over. I swear I haven't been grinding, savescumming, or doing lots of sidequests. I am even rotating people in to prevent severely underleveled characters. Maybe this is just a problem with Chapter 2, as you start getting your killer subjob/skill setups together. Maybe Cyrus is just broken in the midgame. Chapter 1 kinda felt the same way, though.

Maybe the last 2 chapters do a better job with its difficulty curve. I'm just fearing that the first Chapter 3 (whichever I pick) is going to be the only truly challenging one in the set.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to run into a big issue with this game. I really like it so far, don't get me wrong, but I am getting the sense that the difficulty curve is kind of messed up.

I have two Chapter 2s left to go (Therion/Ophelia) but have been finding almost all of them pretty braindead in terms of combat. The first one was quite challenging (Tressa), the second one made me think (Cyrus), and the rest I stomped all over. I swear I haven't been grinding, savescumming, or doing lots of sidequests. I am even rotating people in to prevent severely underleveled characters. Maybe this is just a problem with Chapter 2, as you start getting your killer subjob/skill setups together. Maybe Cyrus is just broken in the midgame. Chapter 1 kinda felt the same way, though.

Maybe the last 2 chapters do a better job with its difficulty curve. I'm just fearing that the first Chapter 3 (whichever I pick) is going to be the only truly challenging one in the set.
Cyrus is broken period :P

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry, the Chapter 3 and 4 bosses are legitimately challenging and can wail on you if you're not prepared.

I mean, plenty of people figured these out on their own I'm sure. I posted about it just this page

Ah. I've been avoiding spoilers so that pretty much went over my head, haha.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

That is the way the design curve for the game is. The curve isn't intended for the game to be increasing challenging through all chapters on the same level as you tackle them all. The challenge spikes with the progression of actual chapters, regardless of character. If you play the game such that you want to do all 8 chapters before moving on, you will find that at least half of that is going to be braindead. On the other hand, you could finish the game with a fixed party of four, complete half the stories in the game, then with your main character freed from the party lock, you can swap in a clean low-level slate of 4 characters to tackle the game again, and gear accordingly depending how much challenge you want.

Don't worry, the Chapter 3 and 4 bosses are legitimately challenging and can wail on you if you're not prepared.
I didn't feel the chapter 3 challenge at all unfortunately. I hit a roadblock at Olberic, which is apparently one of the harder ones, so I went insane and overgeared and spec'd my subjobs to a point where I was super overprepared for my level range. Spent an hour of planning and about 200k buying stuff from NPCs. After that, every fight in ch3 was a breeze, which actually made me less stressed and allowed me to learn a lot of new boss pattern and mechanics. That turned out to be helpful as I tackle ch4, which is actually pretty fun and tough.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Someone pls help me with Ophelia's Chapter 2 boss, cause this thing is ridiculous.

For me I had a grind a few more levels (Average party level was probably around 24-25). Then I focused on buffing Olberic for high damage w/ cross strike. Also used Obleric's thousand spears to break the shield. Ophelia should be able to keep up with heals pretty easily. My cross strikes were routinely hitting for 2-5k.

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
"A happy mutt with not a care in the world. He is a good dog—but to be fair, all dogs are good dogs, and a pox upon he who dares to say otherwise."

Did this game just tell me that they're good dogs, Brent?

May 5, 2018
Played a little bit of Tressa's chapter 2 and a quick question. Is her rival merchant voiced by Billy West, because he sounds just like Fry from Futurama.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, thought I don't remember those old games very well, not that I played many of them.

That being said Octopath seems ( I have yet to begin chapters 3 ) to be a game where if you don't fight thoses boss fight correctly ( except if you overgear yourself etc.. ) you can probably spend 3-4x more times beating them than if you did it right. Having buff/debuff up, and a good amount of BP when you break the boss change everything, you also want to break said boss at the start of a turn, so you actually have two entire turn dealing full dps to said boss.

It's obviously easier said than done, I have done some pretty long fight.... ( one of them with me using bewildering grace when the boss is in the red, only to fully heal him with one of the random effect ).

I also think it can be a big part of those boss fight, because it can make you do some dangerous choice for the sake of increasing your dps.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the game!

This definitely feels like one of those games where the game's difficult fields the line between "didn't d grind enough" vs "you didn't strategize/make effective use of your abilities".

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience with the game!

This definitely feels like one of those games where the game's difficult fields the line between "didn't d grind enough" vs "you didn't strategize/make effective use of your abilities".

I don't know, I wouldn't say Octopath is a game that you have to grind for at all, it's almost completely just strategy in my eyes. This is coming from someone who has beaten bosses 10-15 levels higher than me.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I'm about 30 hours in and having an absolute blast. I love how the narrative is setup and the battle system is probably one of my favorites from a JRPG perspective.

It's crazy to me that in the last two years Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and potentially Octopath (assuming the quality doesn't fall off a cliff as I play more) I could have potentially played two JRPGs that are among my favorite of all time. XBC2 is certainly there for me, and Octopath is well on it's way.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
As to the game difficulty, more of the stats seem to be in the gear than in the levels imo. I left my main team fairly high-level (on the cusp of 60) to go train my other party. I also actually did the side content training my second party (to make up for not exploring the map while getting places). So I got a lot of great equipment from doing those sidequests and just looting even more final dungeons. Coming back to my main party with all that gear...Olberic jumped from doing <20K buffed & debuffed Brand's Thunder to doing 35-40k, for example, which is, to put it in context, almost half a chapter 4 boss's HP pool.

Now, a lot of that gear I could've had for a long time--I could've been stealing and doing side content the whole game; Olberic's chapter 4 (my second) unlocked that super sword that really changed things--but I didn't. I was just scrounging and the game had a nice difficulty. I had some trouble with two of my first four bosses, the first and second (although I ended up going back to it last and the gear/levels I got in that process solved the issue for me).

For my second four, I had a ridiculous surplus of great gear that kept accruing. I didn't use all of it--I kept my best armor on my mains--but I did use an important amount of it--I used my best weapons and second best armor. I ran them through somewhat underleveled against the guidlines--more so than my first party, which had Olberic/Therion lower than the guidline, Ophilia just about at the guideline and Primrose over it by a good amount (until the chapter 4's accrued and they all ended up in the upper 40s, lower 50s by the end of that)--but as long as I wasn't taking one-shots and stuff, my offensive power could cut through the content extremely well and the last four chapter four bosses were mostly non-events.

As were the extra job bosses. I had struggled with them (well, one of them) before going to my second four, and they had just seemed above me. I was taking ridiculous damage. I didn't try too many times and instead did the level 55 side-dungeon in Everhold, wondering what that held. I came out with my first party in the upper 50s and then decided to start my second party, thinking to ping-pong between it and trying the extra job bosses. I didn't really do that in the end, and pretty much just did the second party and sidequests.

So when I got back to them I had an over-leveled party and an over-geared party that just trashed them. It was kind of unfortunate and I feel I missed that experience.

Honestly, the most fun I had with the game was probably when I broke off from leveling everyone, made my first party, and climbed through the chapter 3's sequentially, starting with Olberic, then Therion, then Ophilia, and then Primrose. Chapter 4 was fun too. This is when I truly fell in love with the game--I liked it before but I was anxious about how to consume the content best and unsure of my play-style.

The second most fun I had was actually seeing the world with my second party and, again, going through their stories in a focused fashion, even if the character growth versus content pacing wasn't as thrilling.

I kind of wish I'd blended my two playthroughs better, namely, I wish I'd done more sidecontent at first, explored the villages for more gear at first, but still leave some for the second quest. The reason I didn't is I was honestly made anxious by having Primrose stuck in my party, namely, she was always going to be overleveled if she did all the side-content and that made me want to do only what was immediately in front of me and come back and do the rest later. This is what propelled me to choose one party of four after being noncommittal for quite a while there. I like that decision to focus. It made the game more manageable and also gave me the experience of playing the game twice (going over things again) within one playthrough, which is cool. I probably wouldn't have made that decision if I could've swapped Primrose out, or at least I'd have been slower to do so. Basically, I'm of two minds on this design decision of theirs.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
damn it game, my 2nd party level are around 30-40s, hell Alfyn is lv21

the grind begins ;_; any good spot to farm exp?