fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
BOTW and Dark Souls ...

I don't think I've seen two games that have had such a lasting effect in gaming. They're both titles that stir people into talking about their personal journey with the game, how it has seeped into their every day life, how it has had genuine impact.

I would struggle to separate the two.

Witcher 3, by all reports, is an excellent game. But these step one notch higher.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again, the thread isn't really about influence
If you're talking about influence then yeah it's clearly skyrim
If this thread isn't about influence, then the thread title and the OP should specify what it's about because it really seems like it's about some objective metric, and since sales numbers alone make for a boring conversation, then we go to influence.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Personally for someone who values story and narrative in gaming, TW3 managed to push the envelope with how a good story can be woven into an open world game.

I admire what BOTW has done, especially for fans of the series but for me it was simply just another open world game. Skyrim arguably made open world games mainstream. I also agree with how Dark Souls series created a new genre so that warrants a mention, but then so does PUGB and Death Stranding (the latter may or may not be a joke)

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Demon lacked the interconnected world of Dark Souls.
Well desgined interconnected world was not a new thing in gaming with Dark Souls. Everything that made Souls special is present in Demon's Souls.

Also how many games has Breadth of the Wild influenced so far? That's also something that is mentioned against Witcher 3.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Not in world where Breath of the Wild exists and people react like this to get a taste:

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
It's Dark Souls.

As for the 00s: Halo, Half Life 2, Majora's Mask, Mario Galaxy so many picks obviously better than RE4 ( though none as undisputedly gotd as DS is this decade).

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The combat was so awful in Witcher 3 that it immediately disqualifies it. Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild are the two contenders.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with Dark Souls. I honestly think it belongs to Skyrim. It set a new standard in open world design that many games went on to follow, even Zelda.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You do know that sane people dont act like that right?
The decade belongs to Dark Souls, like it or not.
People are still mad about nearly everybody being absolutely blown away by BOTW. Unless this is some weird "fans of this game are more refined than that game" take of course. In that case I would LOVE to hear more.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People are still mad about nearly everybody being absolutely blown away by BOTW. Unless this is some weird "fans of this game are more refined than that game" take of course. In that case I would LOVE to hear more.
Relax my friend, i bought Botw twice, and put over 230 hours in it, still find that gif stupid, as i would if people were running to play Bloodborne 2
Edit: you do seem to be a bit defensive about Botw, remember, while is a damn fine game, its just that, a game.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
My two favorite games of all time are Red Dead Redemption and BOTW so this has been a good decade for me.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Relax my friend, i bought Botw twice, and put over 230 hours in it, still find that gif stupid, as i would if people were running to play Bloodborne 2
You don't think it represents how the overall, general gaming felt about that game? Outside of the Era bubble (which also loves the game overall), Breath of the Wild was causing reactions like this. Nothing else even stands a chance to do that, either.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The logical choice: demons souls - it create a genre

The better choice: dark souls - it perfected the genre

The obviouse choice: bloodborne - it improved what was considered a perfect formula and made a timeless gem.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Sure buddy, whatever makes you happy
It doesn't make me feel anything. It's just facts. It's something that happened for one game and didn't and won't happen for others. The game had untouchable critical reviews. The general public nearly trampled itself trying to get to a demo of the game. Nothing else has come remotely close to having that kind of impact on the industry.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While it's not my personal choice, I do feel it would have to go to Dark Souls.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know y'all aren't out here talking about Souls creating a genre, when the games actually in that genre are just other games from the same studio. Plus Nioh and a handful of indies I guess.

The Witcher, GTAV, and BotW all have excellent cases, though I think BotW will be talked about in game design circles for decades to come.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I know y'all aren't out here talking about Souls creating a genre, when the games actually in that genre are just other games from the same studio. Plus Nioh and a handful of indies I guess.

The Witcher, GTAV, and BotW all have excellent cases, though I think BotW will be talked about in game design circles for decades to come.

Most of the praised elements of BotW were present in other games as well. Both BotW and Dark Souls are basically praised for doing what Blizzard did for years--taking the best elements of pre-existing games in a genre and making a new product that feels well ahead of the competition.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Because demon's souls is from 2009 and went relatively unnoticed next to dark souls

Dark Souls barely sold over 2 million copies. Demons Souls sold about half that (but was also exclusive to PS3). They each have an 89 on Metacritic. I'll give you that Dark Souls managed to gain traction in overall game of the year awards but that's also a reflection of the year it was released in.

The core mechanics and gameplay is not drastically different in Dark Souls so I don't understand why Dark Souls can fit game of the decade when literally its predecessor from the prior decade achieved literally everything it has going for it.

Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 had no predecessor and defined their genre and blew it out of the water in regards to sales, reception and overall industry impact.

I'm sorry but Dark Souls does not fit that narrative.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Honestly, Skyrim was not that much influential. Gaming landscape wouldn't have change much without it, other than for Skyrim rereleases and Todd memes. It did push the open worldOn the thread topic, this decade certainly doesn't belong to it.

Minecraft and Dark Souls were possibly the most influential games from the previous 10 years. But in terms of game of the decade, BotW or Dark Souls deserve the title.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Dark Souls barely sold over 2 million copies. Demons Souls sold about half that (but was also exclusive to PS3). They each have an 89 on Metacritic. I'll give you that Dark Souls managed to gain traction in overall game of the year awards but that's also a reflection of the year it was released in.

The core mechanics and gameplay is not drastically different in Dark Souls so I don't understand why Dark Souls can fit game of the decade when literally its predecessor from the prior decade achieved literally everything it has going for it.

Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 had no predecessor and defined their genre and blew it out of the water in regards to sales, reception and overall industry impact.

If that's the narrative you're creating, then the definitive answer is Fortnite. Despite people's personal opinions on the game, the impact the game has had has not only had a massive industry impact, but has transcended to a cultural impact that no other game has come close to since Minecraft; which also by definition should be the answer to the 00s-10s too.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People saying Dark Souls when it sold about 2m copies lol. Game of the decade that most people can't play because it's too hard?

The Witcher 3 (and BOTW) are the winners for sure (on the singleplayer space, or it would be Fortnite).

Oct 27, 2017

What? DS1 sold around 8 million copies and those were stats from around 2016.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Definitely The Witcher 3. It would have been there with just the base game, but the expansions made it a certainty.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best game of the 2000s was Mass Effect 2 not RE4. Best game of this decade is easily Bloodborne it's arguably the GOAT.