Mar 18, 2019
Without Skyrim and arguably Dark Souls, you don't have BotW.

I'd lean towards the former being the definitive game of the decade. We've had so many open world games this gen trying to capture the magic of Skyrim and not many have succeeded.

For the 2000s, I'd argue that Call of Duty 4 is the defining game. It singlehandedly transformed the control scheme for FPS games on controller and every FPS game afterwards tried to emulate what it did in multiplayer. To this day, CoD sells tons and tops charts constantly.
Skyrim wasn't revolutionary though. Its open-world format was already popular with Morrowind and Oblivion in the 2000s. In contrast, Dark Souls and BOTW were both revolutionary. Dark Souls established the Soulslike genre and asymmetric multiplayer, while BOTW established the chemistry engine and intuitive world physics.

For the 2000s, I'd have to agree with OP. COD's dual-stick controls were already popular with FPS games like Halo before it. In contrast, RE4 established the over-the-shoulder camera system in third-person action games. Ever since RE4, almost every third-person action game has adopted its over-the-shoulder camera system. The impact of RE4 on third-person action games is bigger than the impact of COD on FPS games.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I'd lean towards the former being the definitive game of the decade. We've had so many open world games this gen trying to capture the magic of Skyrim and not many have succeeded.

For the 2000s, I'd argue that Call of Duty 4 is the defining game. It singlehandedly transformed the control scheme for FPS games on controller and every FPS game afterwards tried to emulate what it did in multiplayer. To this day, CoD sells tons and tops charts constantly.

The answer is Skyrim, for sure. Love it or hate it, the impact Skyrim has had on the industry is undeniable.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If Witcher 3 is gotg then this is truely the generation the gameplay died.

Completely disagree with RE4 being the game of previous decade too. I love it but it's not a standout among its great peers.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
51lvltdpctL._AC_SY400_.jpg

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo: CE did everything you just said about COD4 years before and Halo: CE still better game than all the CODs.

Well you had Goldeneye and Perfect Dark which pretty much already did what Halo CE did. Sure Halo was a great game but not that great. Wasn't even the he definitive game of that console generation. You could even make an argument that Halo 2 was better for what it did for online shooters on consoles.

Mar 18, 2019
If you're talking about the games which most defined this decade then it's probably Dark Souls or Fortnite/PUBG.
Much like Dark Souls, PUBG is also a good choice. It popularized battle-royale games. However, it came quite late in the 2010s. It defined the last few years of this decade, but not the entire decade.

As for Fortnite, that just jumped on the battle-royale bandwagon that PUBG had already popularized. And on a worldwide sale, PUBG still has a larger player base than Fortnite, thanks to PUBG's huge popularity in Asia. Fortnite doesn't deserve any honours for bandwagon-jumping.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
yeah its minecraft and its not up to debate I think ? so many online open world games followed its formula and very few succeeded. Nowadays its influence is still beyond crazy

Laughing so hard right now. Without MORROWIND, you don't have Botw

Without SEVERANCE BLADE OF DARKNESS AND TEAM NINJA'S GAME DESIGN, you don't have Dark Souls

Folks really trying too hard with From Software

Jun 26, 2018
Dark Souls is definitely my personal no. 1 of the decade... but if we're talking impact on the game industry then PUBG has probably had the biggest of any singular game that I can think of in the last 10 years.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm a Nintendo /PC dude andthe game of the decade is dark souls without a doubt in my mind. It demanded comparison for years, created a genre, reinvigorated good gameplay storytelling vs bad expository storytelling and did so while also selling a ton.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My my you're brave OP. And I think dark souls is probably most influential as far as decades go.
Tho Witcher 3 is best game this generation, with RDR2 falling behind.
And for people saying w3 did not influence anything. You're not entirely right.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Narrative yes I agree with Witcher 3, it set a new bar.
But in terms of gameplay it goes to Breath of the Wild and Souls for me. Just look at how many other series Dark Souls has inspired? The Surge, Remnant and numerous others, its become a genre.

Also Remnant is shaping up to be special game for me. Exited what they could do if the series grows from here.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
It is Dark Souls, easily. It influenced the industry greatly, just like OoT and RE4 did before.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This thread seems to prove that there is no definitive game.
Usually, when there is a poll concerning the best game of the decade, BotW wins, but not by much. So there really is no game that can be universally called the #1 game of this decade.
But tbh, if we made a poll for the 90s and the 00s, I don't think that any game would come out on top by a huge margin either.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the decade should be about the quality of said title and its influence beyond its genre and fandom. So Dark Souls and Skyrim are the defining games of this decade.

Get past your tastes for a minute there.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Ooo this is some bait territory, especially when I don't agree with your "definitive" picks for the 90's and 00's either.

I'm not biting, I refuse. Have I bitten by replying anyway? Fuck.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The greatest and the most influential game of the decade. The most brilliant design I've ever seen in a video game, completely goes beyond any imagination.
Video game is art, and Dark Souls is high art.

dark-souls-cover-2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is objectively the most influencial game of the decade.
The top 5 looks like this imo.
1.DS
2.Skyrim
3.BoTW
4.Witcher 3
5.TLoU

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not three?

Dark Souls, Witcher 3, and Breath of the Wild all deserve it equally imo.

If only one, then it's Dark Souls.

Edit: Skyrim absolutely deserves at least an honorary mention.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I was going to say league but it released in 2009. So I'll say Dark Souls because it spawned games like nioh, bloodborne, and sekiro. It's truly the pinnacle of action rpg at this point.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft, or Skyrim, or Fortnite, or maybe Breath of the Wild (the way it sort of took over the world was insane).

Dark Souls is too inaccessible to have that title, IMO.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Whether it was ever remotely reasonable to suggest that one or two games 'defined' a generation or decade (imo no way) it certainly isn't now. Far too many good games.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the second one most influencal. That's why I placed it 2 on my list.
Skyrim influenced many open world games like Witcher 3 or BotW but DS influence is felt in so many genres (even indie games) it's not even comparable. Imo Skyrim become obsolete after Witcher 3's release that's why Ubisoft and Guerilla citied Witcher 3 as their inspiration for Oddyssey and Horizon respectively not Skyrim.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nah. There's so many strong candidates for what could be called the "best game of the decade" that The Witcher 3 could in no way be called definitive. Like, I could still see it being voted as the best game in a poll on here, but the gap between it and other choices would never be such that it would be "definitive"

And if you're going for games that define a decade instead, there are better choices than The Witcher 3, which is "only" a good/great/[insert superlative here] RPG. The oft-mentioned Dark Souls would be a better choice, as would Minecraft, Telltale's The Walking Dead, PUBG or Destiny (or others).

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
For people who claim Dark Souls why is Demon's Souls never brought up? Wasn't that more of an instrumental title that landed in the previous decade?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls without a doubt. So many aspects of those games crept into everything this gen.

It's crazy to me how many people are saying BOTW. The level of praise that game gets still perplexes me. Sure, you might think it's well executed, but I didn't come away thinking it was particularly innovative.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls without a doubt. So many aspects of those games crept into everything this gen.

It's crazy to me how many people are saying BOTW. The level of praise that game gets still perplexes me. Sure, you might think it's well executed, but I didn't come away thinking it was particularly innovative.
Good thing pretty much the entirety of the gaming press also agrees on BOTW then

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim has sold over 30 million units. Skyrim has influenced the entire gaming industry, including Nintendo.

It's Skyrim.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
100% agree OP. :)

Next up would be Demon's Souls for me.

Also lmao at anybody saying "objectively".