• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, of course, the garbage behavior by certain people deserves to be condemned. I did not get that read from the blog post, which also was written up and went out before anyone had any reactions.

These aren't new reactions.. every single developer that has supported EGS has been harassed to varying degrees; every announcement of a new game going exclusive is met with vitriol, hell we even had a thread about a devs game NOT making it to EGS and it was met with the same level of heat. There is a reason every EGS thread on this forum has to have a moderator threadmark, there are a lot of very angry dudes with sprinkled within the reasonable posts.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
These aren't new reactions.. every single developer that has supported EGS has been harassed to varying degrees; every announcement of a new game going exclusive is met with vitriol, hell we even had a thread about a devs game NOT making it to EGS and it was met with the same level of heat. There is a reason every EGS thread on this forum has to have a moderator threadmark, there are a lot of very angry dudes with sprinkled within the reasonable posts.
It sucks for those of us who have reasonable things to say

Oct 31, 2017
The discourse that everyone that has a problem with EGS is part of a hate group is worrisome and scary.
And I'm afraid that's precisely the angle they are going to play in the coming months. Even their press release has that vibe.

I can see where this is going in the near future. Be ready to be guilt-tripped into submission or constantly painted like some sort of unhinged lunatics (most likely for the sins of someone else) by the gaming press and the charming community of indie devs on twitter.

Oct 31, 2017
Since I've read few of these threads and I know we are definitely NOT talking about "harassment" in this case (not on this forum, for sure), here comes the question:
what makes you think that negativity is not a legitimate reaction?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
And I'm afraid that's precisely the angle they are going to play in the coming months. Even their press release has that vibe.

I can see where this is going in the near future. Be ready to be guilt-tripped into submission or constantly painted like some sort of unhinged lunatics (most likely for the sins of someone else) by the gaming press and the charming community of indie devs on twitter.
Oh, since that poster could not, and since you seem to agree with them, could you please point me to anyone saying or implying that EVERYONE that has a problem with EGS is part of gamergate? I'm starting to suspect you all are maybe making things up. Or are possibly suffering from some kind of persecution complex

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Hate against devs are not the reason why the Staff Post and heat happens in EGS threads tho. Those threads get heated because they all become a huge shouting match between the people trying to explain their issues with EGS/Epic's practices and the people coming in and yelling "it's just another launcher!"
Both sides get tired and mad at the other and those (these?) threads end up the way they do.

Sure there are comments about the devs too and some definitely go too far, but that is not the main thing in EGS threads here on Era.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Its pretty sad to me what heppened to the Ooblets devs, I been harassed before and its not pleasent, by my family for been fat, by my coworkers because I can´t see very well because I have eye sight problems, I try to be the best I can for other people, but I´m also poor, so EGS is a problem for me, and now I´m been paired with hateful people, and I don´t even know what to make about this.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, since that poster could not, and since you seem to agree with them, could you please point me to anyone saying or implying that EVERYONE that has a problem with EGS is part of gamergate? I'm starting to suspect you all are maybe making things up. Or are possibly suffering from some kind of persecution complex
I didn't mention gamergate at any point in my post.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
You can't quote posts from a locked thread but I think they're referring to post #90. You have to read the twitter thread they were claiming to agree with.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I didn't mention gamergate at any point in my post.
Ok what hate group were you referring to since you seemed to agree with the other poster that people were saying that EVERYONE that has a problem with EGS is part of a hate group? They were referring to gamergate, as shown by their follow-up posts but maybe you thought they were referring to another hate group? Which one? And where do you have evidence of anyone saying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is part of a hate group?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

So does this not make the blog post worse, not better? There's at least one indie dev who has called the blog post (and dev) out for being ignorant of the reactions that the extremist fringe have with EGS exclusive news. He's also called Sweeney out for adding fuel to the fire with his tweet, which, again, Sweeney should know what it would do, and he didn't give a toss.

I am absolutely against abuse of developers, but I'd also agree with that same indie dev who said that Epic need to stand-up and give devs/pubs assistance in handling the negative PR that accompanies taking EGS exclusive money.

(The dev recently locked/unlocked his Twitter account because of flak he was getting, so don't want to link it)

Edit: Also, I'd disagree with the statement that "every single developer that has supported EGS has been harassed to varying degrees". I think everyone looked at Untitled Goose Game's exclusive deal and thought "Fair enough".

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The egs topics will continue to get uglier as long as it will be treated as a silly thing that will blow over. People have repeatedly said it loudly how much epic is disliked and yet each time an egs deal is announced everyone pretends to be caught off guard by the backlash
What other anything besides gaming gets a reaction like this when something goes exclusive to a store? i havent seen it with clothing or department or home improvement or book stores. i dont even see that with other digital distribution like music or movies or television. i also dont see exclusive hate like that with even physical game store outlets.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You can't quote posts from a locked thread but I think they're referring to post #90. You have to read the twitter thread they were claiming to agree with.
Thank you. I read that twitter thread. Nowhere in that thread did they mention that they were talking about everyone that has a problem with EGS. On the contrary, they made a point to single out only the people engaging in harassment. Unless TioChuck was saying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is engaging in harassment, I can't see how that Twitter thread provides evidence to his claim that anyone is implying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is part of gamergate

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So does this not make the blog post worse, not better? There's at least one indie dev who has called the blog post (and dev) out for being ignorant of the reactions that the extremist fringe have with EGS exclusive news. He's also called Sweeney out for adding fuel to the fire with his tweet, which, again, Sweeney should know what it would do, and he didn't give a toss.

I am absolutely against abuse of developers, but I'd also agree with that same indie dev who said that Epic need to stand-up and give devs/pubs assistance in handling the negative PR that accompanies taking EGS exclusive money.

(The dev recently locked/unlocked his Twitter account because of flak he was getting, so don't want to link it)

Edit: Also, I'd disagree with the statement that "every single developer that has supported EGS has been harassed to varying degrees". I think everyone looked at Untitled Goose Game's exclusive deal and thought "Fair enough".

Yeah, I think the response, here at least, is mostly disappointment. Unfortunately, outside of here, things get ugly. Devs need help in dealing with this.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Thank you. I read that twitter thread. Nowhere in that thread did they mention that they were talking about everyone that has a problem with EGS. On the contrary, they made a point to single out only the people engaging in harassment. Unless TioChuck was saying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is engaging in harassment, I can't see how that Twitter thread provides evidence to his claim that anyone is implying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is part of gamergate
know that if you're not a slighted ooblets fan, and you're looking at this from the outside, and going "wow they really treated their fans like shit, fuck these guys" then you're basically buying into a coordinated propaganda campaign targeted against EGS
the whole ooblets/EGS/whatever thing isn't just about ooblets or EGS (I mean it's basically 99% not about ooblets for sure), it's just another war front in the culture war being waged. stop letting yourself be recruited to be on the wrong side
Sound like they're pretty much accusing anyone that has an issue with EGS to me

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Eh, there are some really shitty tweet replies to the tweets they wrote about it and it kept going for some time. Can't find much else tho, even on Reddit it's quite a lot of "Sure, I can get behind this. They needed the money."
There were definitely no hate campaigns launched against them. I felt like all that had cooled down quite a bit before this happened and it's super sad to see how little was needed to launch it to a completely new level.

Oct 31, 2017
Ok what hate group were you referring to since you seemed to agree with the other poster that people were saying that EVERYONE that has a problem with EGS is part of a hate group? They were referring to gamergate, as shown by their follow-up posts but maybe you thought they were referring to another hate group? Which one? And where do you have evidence of anyone saying that everyone who has a problem with EGS is part of a hate group?
I didn't mention any specific "hate group" either. Not sure why you are asking to me to answer for what someone else said.

I was referring more in general to a very clear behavioral pattern that can already be noticed on twitter and so.
It's just the millionth chapter of "The game industry can't hide its absolute contempt for their user base very well" that is finding in any EGS controversy a very fertile ground.

Reminds me of this video someone else posted few hours ago:

P.S. I got the question the first time. Not sure why you felt the need to post it twice.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sound like they're pretty much accusing anyone that has an issue with EGS to me
Saying that someone has bought into propaganda from a hate group is not the same as saying that someone is part of a hate group.
I didn't mention any specific "hate group" either. Not sure why you are asking to me to answer for what someone else said.
I was frustrated that they didn't respond but it was wrong of me to drag you into it, so I apologize for that

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Saying that someone has bought into propaganda from a hate group is not the same as saying that someone is part of a hate group.
That's not what I read. Yes they mention the faked screencaps but they're clearly tying this entire upset to gamergate, which just isn't reality.
Anyway, I haven't seen anyone else say something like this so I have no reason to believe it's a common sentiment.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the game is to be honest. Is it genuinely good or not? Because I feel a good game does not need hype from a controversy..and right now we hear more about controversy than about the game itself.

Sep 14, 2018
I wonder how the game is to be honest. Is it genuinely good or not? Because I feel a good game does not need hype from a controversy..and right now we hear more about controversy than about the game itself.

What even is this take, do people think before they vomit their ill conceived opinions? The devs were not trying to generate hype from controversy, ok? Dismissed.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

This has sadly been something that's been done a bit in the last 5 years or so. If you hated the new Ghostbusters, you obviously hated women. Same if you hated The Last Jedi.

You already had journalists sneering at people about this subject simply because they referred to themselves(correctly) as people who buy their games("consumers"), so now they have this to latch onto. After all, if you can't come up with legitimate ways to back up your stance, why not use labeling to get the same job done? I mean, this dev came out with an announcement in one hand and a can of kerosene in the other, lit an enormous fire, but people will forget that now because the narrative has changed. Now idiots took shit way too far to the point where you get worried about bringing up the factual chain of events because of fear it'd be considered victim blaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That's not what I read. Yes they mention the faked screencaps but they're clearly tying this entire upset to gamergate, which just isn't reality.
Saying that gamergate people are involved in fanning the flames of the backlash (whether true or not) is not the same as saying that everyone who dislikes egs is part of gamergate. (But you never made that claim, to be fair, TioChuck did)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
I mean, this dev came out with an announcement in one hand and a can of kerosene in the other, lit an enormous fire, but people will forget that now because the narrative has changed. Now idiots took shit way too far to the point where you get worried about bringing up the factual chain of events because of fear it'd be considered victim blaming.

The devs have been communicating through their blog in that sort of jokey manner with their followers, they were not aware how it would land with gamers in general, because seriously who would expect that insane over the top reaction to their crime of "condescension", normal people with emotional maturity would have been momentarily disappointed and moved on. They did nothing wrong except maybe for not being up to speed on internet nonsense I guess?

To you it was a can of kerosene, to them it was just an attempt to lighten the mood, I had a problem with their attempt at making light of the situation by mentioning human rights abuses but I understand there was no ill intent there, just as there wasn't anywhere else, it's ok, it will be on one store for a year, the world keeps moving, everyone should too.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

The controversy is coming from gamers needing to talk incessantly about how much they hate EGS.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Conspiratorial Rhetoric and Misrepresenting Moderation
That tactic is also fully working for them and it's obvious that especially Sweeney loves this approach.

You're either Pro-EGS or one of those bad guys. 80% of PC-Era is already banned at this point and all flood gates for these incredibly dumb "just a launcher because it's FREE SOFTWARE" posts got opened and they probably won't stop anymore. It's incredibly disgusting to see that propaganda working.

One might think that the whole PC section is getting completely wiped out of resetera at this point.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That tactic is also fully working for them and it's obvious that especially Sweeney loves this approach.

You're either Pro-EGS or one of those bad guys. 80% of PC-Era is already banned at this point and all flood gates for these incredibly dumb "just a launcher because it's FREE SOFTWARE" posts got opened and they probably won't stop anymore.

One might think that the whole PC section is getting completely wiped out of resetera at this point.
I guess ultimately we will see how it works for them saleswise. If the games underperform that are on EGS exclusively maybe that will make a difference. I guess at this point is better if you are against the egs to keep your mouth shut and boycott.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess ultimately we will see how it works for them saleswise. If the games underperform that are on EGS exclusively maybe that will make a difference. I guess at this point is better if you are against the egs to keep your mouth shut and boycott.
It doesn't really matter if games sell well on the EGS. Epic's warchest is huge enough to run several years with their loss leader strategy.
The only important point is if Epic can shift the public view into their favour and we have reached a point where you're either PRO EGS or you better shut up because you'll otherwise get probably banned soon for criticizing either Epic, EGS or Sweeney. Sounds like a dead end on era.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter if games sell well on the EGS. Epic's warchest is huge enough to run several years with their loss leader strategy.
The only important point is if Epic can shift the public view into their favour and we have reached a point where you're either PRO EGS or you better shut up because you'll otherwise get probably banned soon for criticizing either Epic, EGS or Sweeney. Sounds like a dead end on era.
I don't agree it's a dead end for example with ghost busters, it was a dead end when they tried that narrative because the movie ultimately didn't do well. If games do poorly being on egs even with the money given to them and depending how they do on steam after that the egs is a place not worth it.

They are trying to change the narrative right now but ultimately I'm not convinced epic is going to be able to.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

You're either Pro-EGS or one of those bad guys. 80% of PC-Era is already banned at this point and all flood gates for these incredibly dumb "just a launcher because it's FREE SOFTWARE" posts got opened and they probably won't stop anymore. It's incredibly disgusting to see that propaganda working.

These posts are frightening to me.

People aren't getting banned for criticizing any of those things, they're mostly getting banned for excusing harassment and death threats, or for making awful comparisons. This is stuff we gotta handle as a community.

But what you're most concerned about are the 'just another launcher' posts?

We need to be able to separate the two.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
These posts are frightening to me.

People aren't getting banned for criticizing any of those things, they're mostly getting banned for excusing harassment and death threats, or for making awful comparisons. This is stuff we gotta handle as a community.

But what you're most concerned about are the 'just another launcher' posts?

We need to be able to separate the two.
Yeah I'm not seeing what they're seeing and I'm PC era, pro-EGS people have been getting banned for months on end for those sorts of posts.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Or.

PC Era will live on now that it's possible to have conversations that aren't spiked with "stupid people, stupid people everywhere.gif" shitposts every page or haunted by people who excuse death threats on the regular. People routinely alienated by such behavior might actually feel like joining.

If a walled clubhouse is what you want, then you aren't actually afraid of your community dying.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Nonsense post, that has nothing to do with the reality here in era.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Or.

PC Era will live on now that it's possible to have conversations that aren't spiked with "stupid people, stupid people everywhere.gif" shitposts every page or haunted by people who excuse death threats on the regular. People routinely alienated by such behavior might actually feel like joining.

If a walled clubhouse is what you want, then you aren't actually afraid of your community dying.
Nonsense post, that has nothing to do with the reality here in era.

Disagree. There's no denying that longtime and great contributors have withdrawn their participation without the aid of a ban.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a hotly contested issue with a lot of people posting ignorant dismissive bullshit that causes people who are annoyed by this to respond, often in a hot-headed way. It's very easy to understand why each EGS thread gets a threadmark and I don't think that reason is as you described it.

Also, I don't see how other devs having faced harassment is any good reason to post a bunch of inflammatory and ignorant garbage in some misguided attempt to "get out ahead of things."

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
There's ton of launchers that have never received any hate the EGS is getting.

Sep 14, 2018
If people getting banned for saying 'death threats are bad *but*' is making people leave I find the 'longtime and great' claim dubious at best.

That's a big if, are you sure that is what made people leave, or was it something else? What good is there in making up stuff like that? You contribute to the environment no one wants to take part in when you say stuff like that.

I saw a user that was very reasonable and patient get baited into a ban after being accused of hating the chinese (?) by an obvious troll, the kind of thing that makes people want to leave no doubt, who wants to be a part of that community?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I read that twitter thread. Nowhere in that thread did they mention that they were talking about everyone that has a problem with EGS.

I'm sorry, how did you not interpret it that way?

In the very first tweet:

"why i can't take EGS criticism seriously anymore, a thread "

The person then goes on to argue that EGS criticism is basically fueled by a right-wing hate agenda and that if you have a negative reaction to, well, any facet of it, you're just buying into the propaganda.

It's a disgusting allegation and is basically implying that no one can think for themselves.