The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I just want another Viva Pinata game so bad from them.

I also want a Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts 2, but some of you still aren't ready to admit that that game was great.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purchase of Rare is what made me get an Xbox as I was a massive Perfect Dark fan at the time.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Rare definitely had poor management by Microsoft during the Xbox and Xbox 360 days which still tarnishes their reputation to this day. It beats being subsidised by Activision.

in my eyes, they are still a disaster.

Their output of quality on Xbox One has been incredible and Everwild seems to continue on that trend from what we've seen.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Love Rare. Always love to see what they're working on. Sea of Thieves is my top 5 of the gen for me.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda crazy how they were known top notch single player games and now their most recent successful game is a game that totally sucks to play alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Unfortunate discussion framing by the OP.

Rare is coming along fine and is in good position going forward to hopefully drop some gems, but they spent more than a decade losing the confidence of Microsoft and being confined to the Kinect dog house. People had good reason to fear they might get straight up closed. Iceberg successfully avoided.

Let's let them get a couple more solid releases out on the market before we act like the 10 years prior to SoT didn't exist. There is a reason people aren't ready to classify Rare as a perpetually successful developer. They are seeing success now, which is all that can be asked. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, hopefully with a less rocky start next time.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sea of Thieves is one of those games that really makes me wish I had friends that played video games. It seems like so much fun, and it's a gorgeous game, but I've tried it out three times, solo and with rando's, and I've just never had a good experience with it.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
They've been with Microsoft for 18 years but I still think of them as Nintendo's buddies

Oct 25, 2017
The first Viva Pinata has a PC port, though it would be nice if they removed GFWL and put it on Steam. Viva Pinata is for me, their best IP. I'd love a Viva Pinata 3 but if they're not going to do that, I'd at least like to see Trouble in Paradise on PC with the garden limit vastly improved. That's the one bad part of the game; you constantly need to compromise on your garden because of the limitations of the hardware (at the time).

When it comes to Banjo, I hold an opinion that is not very popular... I think Nuts & Bolts is wonderful, the first two games on the other hand, not so much. Kameo was good, not great. The less said about Kinect Sports, the better. Sea of Thieves looks fun but only if you have a dedicated group to play with. Though, I am glad they've found some success with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with Everwild.

Yeah i'm aware about the Viva Piñata PC Port, but it's a pain to play it with GFWL nowadays and i'm not sure it runs on Windows 10

Good news, it's on PC since 2007 !

vipipc0f.jpg

I don't think it runs on Windows 10 and also i want Trouble in Paradise too

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Sea of Thieves is one of those games that really makes me wish I had friends that played video games. It seems like so much fun, and it's a gorgeous game, but I've tried it out three times, solo and with rando's, and I've just never had a good experience with it.

If you Open Crew'd...thats just a terrible experience. I suggest the Sea of Thieves Discord and LFG in that or the LFG in XBOX. Had mostly great experiences in those. Some misses but mostly people are competent enough to actually stay a float and get something done.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see they are still around and doing well. Unfortunately they haven't made anything that interests me since PDZ and I was pretty underwhelmed by that. They never really became the feather in MS' cap that I expected them to be when they were bought, especially after being arguably the developer of the 90s.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think their recent output has come anywhere close to their N64 days, but that's just me and I'm glad they're still around.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's still a good studio but what I liked about them and their games simply doesn't exist anymore.
I'm glad they're successful though.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
No, they would have been a Bond studio.

Likely.

Though EA had the Bond rights until 2009 (but made a deal in 2006 with Activision as they weren't interested anymore in making Bond and licensed games).

What if Sony purchased Rare?

If Sony intended to purchase Rare, I think Nintendo would immediatly have changed their mind and would have made a good offer to Rare.

I think that's why Sony didn't put in any bid.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Are they one of the most successful studios then? Cause yeah Sea of Thieves had a rough first year and they haven't exactly had hits in recent years

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder what the timeline would have been if Nintendo kept them. Sure, we'd get Banjo Threeie (and Banjo in Brawl most likley), but would Conker have been neutered? Would we even get the likes of Viva Pinata or Sea of Theives? Would there have been more depth to the Miis? (Rare made the Avatars for X360, IIRC.)

So many questions...

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder what the timeline would have been if Nintendo kept them. Sure, we'd get Banjo Threeie (and Banjo in Brawl most likley), but would Conker have been neutered? Would we even get the likes of Viva Pinata or Sea of Theives? Would there have been more depth to the Miis? (Rare made the Avatars for X360, IIRC.)

So many questions...
Nintendo chose not to get them. They never had them in the first place, so there was nothing to keep. (Semantics, I know)

Rare didn't have any intentions of making Banjo-Threeie. Unless, I guess, Nintendo forced them to do it in the alternate timeline.

twitter.com

Gregg Mayles on Twitter

“@Thelostzelda @oakieland @MorganKuno @grantkirkhope @ssbm_cortex It was a joke. I never wanted to do another game in the same vein as the first two. Nuts and Bolts was the third idea for a different kind of Banjo game”
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/1308910112942235654

And Conker likely wouldn't have had a bright future under Nintendo either.

Viva Pinata and some kind of pirate game would likely have been made, yes.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Awesome OP! Very informative and detailed.

I'm a bit of a Rare fanboy, so everything about Rare has always been fascinating to me and any discussion about them grabs my interest. And like I pointed out in another thread the other day, it's pretty amazing how it's been nearly 20 years since their buyout and they're STILL trucking along with MS while some studios have closed down or simply ended their relationship with MS over the last 15-20 years. J Allard wasn't kidding back in 2003 when he stated their buyout of Rare will be a very long-term investment:

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/j_allard_int2.asp

Kikizo: How productive do you see Rare's output being? Will it be anywhere like it was for Nintendo in the Nineties, where most Nintendo big sellers Rare games?
J Allard: Well, we wouldn't have bought them if we didn't think it would work! They'll probably ship five or six games in the first two years. Some of their projects have been in development for a while, and some have just kicked off. They'll have dramatic impact on our sales, not just in this generation, but in generations to come. I mean, these guys have been around for twenty years. They were here before all of us. Having them bring their philosophy and their commitment to quality, and giving them the opportunity to explore online, is going to be a really potent and exciting combination. To have them think about their magic in an online space, I think is going to create some breakthrough experiences.
Kikizo: Aren't you worried they take too long to make games?
J Allard:
Who cares?
Kikizo: Shouldn't you? Firstparty games are what drives so many sales...?
J Allard: [Leans forward] We are the most patient company in the word. The Xbox business is a twenty-year business. It's not a quarter-to-quarter business, it's not 'how many units did we sell this Christmas'. I mean we watch those things and we're careful about them, but we're taking a very long term outlook on the business. We don't go out and buy Rare, and say that they have to pay for themselves in this generation or else. You don't go and buy Rare and say, "you're going to ship on December 21, or else." Because that's not what Rare brings to the table. They bring things to the table that will fundamentally grow people's interest in Xbox, their IP that we can use for years and years to come. So asking what Rare has done for us as part of the family is a question to ask in twenty years. It's good that they take so much time to make games.
In today's console world, exclusivity matters. But five or six Rare titles in the first two years? I think that's a pretty good rate. Bungie are coming on Live, there was Blinx firstparty, Gotham Racing 2 will be supporting Live... we'll have probably thirty to forty exclusive experiences being published by us, and most will have an online component. Even Splinter Cell - thirdparty - has an online function where you can download new maps. So there really is a lot to look forward to with Xbox and online gaming.
That excerpt is a pretty interesting read nowadays. Allard was a bit too optimistic with the rate of their output lol. 5 or 6 games in the first two years? They only managed to release one game in that time frame (Grabbed by the Ghoulies). But it's pretty cool to see that Microsoft stuck by their words and have held on to Rare through thick and thin.

There was a time when it seemed Rare was seen as a joke and that MS wasted their money buying them, but we've gotten to a point where they're now making really interesting games and are being taken more seriously again. Some of the negativity still lingers around (as evidenced by some posts in this thread), but things are much better than they were in the Kinect era. You couldn't walk into a Rare thread without seeing others mocking them and making avatar jokes.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I thought I was a Rare fan!

Heck of an OP.

I do love me some Rare. I have the poster from the Perfect Dark Zero launch that use to hang at their studio before they remodeled things. A bunch of them signed it for me before they mailed it to me. Framed it immediately, will keep it forever.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I always have to laugh at people downplaying anything positive about Rare especially nowadays. Sea of Thieves I do not think is for me, but I love that they've found their own successful niche! It feels very much connected to their legacy stylistically too which is pretty wild.

The writing was on the wall with Rare's abilities in later titles like Donkey Kong 64 and especially Star Fox Adventures. The major exodus to Free Radical left a permanent talent void that so many people ignore for some reason. They were a fundamentally different company leaving 2000 already.

Both of their Xbox 360 launch titles should've had much more development time for certain and should be better overall, but I think the majority of their output on that console was pretty solid and they made quite a few really cool Game Boy Advance titles around then too. Beyond that I know it is not really directly by them, but I played an intense amount of the new Killer Instinct on PC. It's one of the best games of this gen and even one of my personal favorite fighting games ever. There is no way a game like this would exist under a modern Nintendo and forget freakin' Activision. If nothing else I am happy we got that.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP contradicts the title of the thread. It's actually a bit depressing, one game does not make up for nearly two decades of mismanagement.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I have apparently never played a Rare game. At least not since MS acquisition. Everwild looks pretty though.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Rare has been with MS for 18 years? I used to like Rare. I might need to try out Sea of Thieves if folks in the thread are praising it. Never tried Viva Pinata either. Neither of them looked interesting to me, though I'd be down for something that isn't a rehash of their IPs in their glory days with Nintendo.

Good thing they got a hit though. Hopefully Everwild turns out to be good...but first let's see what the game actually is first.

18 years is a long ass time though.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Rare has been with MS for 18 years? I used to like Rare. I might need to try out Sea of Thieves if folks in the thread are praising it. Never tried Viva Pinata either. Neither of them looked interesting to me, though I'd be down for something that isn't a rehash of their IPs in their glory days with Nintendo.

Good thing they got a hit though. Hopefully Everwild turns out to be good...but first let's see what the game actually is first.

18 years is a long ass time though.
My personal opinion is that Viva Pinata is their best game by far. They still haven't matched it

Man what else they could've done on the 360 and early Xbone if they weren't sentenced to the Kinect slaughter house

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious. I feel back when MS bought Rare, their family-friendly games looked lame, but I'm wondering why that was. I'm not a designer by any means, but there was something visually unappealing about that era of family-friendly games back then. Of course, you can't judge a book (or game) by its cover but some effort should go into it if possible.

I'd be all for a new Rare IP and trying it out, but I'd be doing so because other people are saying as much as opposed to me looking at these games and thinking they look cool to begin with.

I dunno if what I'm saying makes sense. I wonder if anyone else got that vibe from Rare's MS games.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Even old Rare doesn't compare to Naughty Dog in terms brand recognition and popularity and definitely not even modern Rockstar which is on a whole different planet...

Weird comparison.

How is comparing old Rare to Naughty Dog weird in any way? Who else would you compare them to? You have to keep in mind the context of the time period we're talking about here.

Back when Rare was at its peak, there was no social media. No Facebook. No Twitter. No YouTube. Internet was very limited and not as widespread. Message boards did exist, but again, limited number of people using them. Plus the gaming industry was much smaller and not as mainstream as it is now. Taking all this into account, Rare had as much recognition and popularity as they realistically could've had back then in that kind of limited environment as ND has in today's much more interconnected and advanced society.

Even if what you're saying is technically true (about ND having more recognition than Rare), there are reasons for this. First off, Rare was a notoriously secretive company back then and their designers never liked putting themselves in the spotlight much. Unlike how much we know and hear about Neil Druckmann and the like. Secondly, Rare's slow descent into irrelevance during their first 12 or so years with MS can't have helped. If they were still releasing games with the same level of quality and quantity as in the 90's, you can bet your ass they'd be as well known as ND today.

Ironically enough, Rare was a huge inspiration for ND's games back in the 90's. Crash was inspired by DKC, as one of the developers stated themselves. It was them attempting to bring DKC's gameplay into 3D. Diddy Kong Racing must've had some amount of influence on Crash Team Racing as evidenced by one of the test tracks for CTR being a replica of a DKR track during development. I also could swear that I've read somewhere that Jak & Daxter was influenced by Banjo Kazooie in some way, but I could be making that up.

I mean, we're talking about a developer that released games like DKC and Goldeneye. Fuck me if they weren't one of the most well known developers of the 90's and early 00's. There's a reason why MS even bothered to shell out that much cash to buy them and why their buyout was made out to be such a big deal. You could even say that Nintendo fans tended to "overrate" their games a bit in the exact same way that Sony fans "overrate" ND's games these days. Both studios were/are absolutely massive for their respective publishers and their console's player base.

Rockstar is obviously a different story. Not many studios could put out something as culturally massive as GTA. I'm not sure comparing a mid-sized studio like Rare to a huge studio like Rockstar is fair anyway.

I always have to laugh at people downplaying anything positive about Rare especially nowadays. Sea of Thieves I do not think is for me, but I love that they've found their own successful niche! It feels very much connected to their legacy stylistically too which is pretty wild.

The writing was on the wall with Rare's abilities in later titles like Donkey Kong 64 and especially Star Fox Adventures. The major exodus to Free Radical left a permanent talent void that so many people ignore for some reason. They were a fundamentally different company leaving 2000 already.

I absolutely agree that it's annoying when people downplay modern Rare any chance they get, but I also find it equally as annoying when people downplay Rare's late Nintendo era to prop up their MS era as you seem to be doing here. Not to mention stating misleading information.

There was no mass exodus of staff from Rare before the buyout. Unless you count 5 people as a "mass exodus". There were only like 4 or 5 people that left for Free Radical and 1 person left to form Zoonami. But I suppose going by N64 development standards, 4 or 5 people out of 10 or so could be seen as "massive", I guess. But even if that's the case, their FPS team was the only team that suffered any major casualties.

It doesn't make any sense for someone to claim that Rare started to suck under Nintendo and to then say that their output with MS has been great and underrated and misunderstood. It almost looks like an attempt to snipe at people who dismiss their MS output and prop up their Nintendo output, and considering how annoying the hate for Rare is, I guess I can't blame you, but it doesn't make what you're saying any less false or silly. I've noticed some others in this thread have said similar things.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I absolutely agree that it's annoying when people downplay modern Rare any chance they get, but I also find it equally as annoying when people downplay Rare's late Nintendo era to prop up their MS era as you seem to be doing here. Not to mention stating misleading information.

There was no mass exodus of staff from Rare before the buyout. Unless you count 5 people as a "mass exodus". There were only like 4 or 5 people that left for Free Radical and 1 person left to form Zoonami. But I suppose going by N64 development standards, 4 or 5 people out of 10 or so could be seen as "massive", I guess. But even if that's the case, their FPS team was the only team that suffered any major casualties.

It doesn't make any sense for someone to claim that Rare started to suck under Nintendo and to then say that their output with MS has been great and underrated and misunderstood. It almost looks like an attempt to snipe at people who dismiss their MS output and prop up their Nintendo output, and considering how annoying the hate for Rare is, I guess I can't blame you, but it doesn't make what you're saying any less false or silly. I've noticed some others in this thread have said similar things.
Oh I did not mean to prop up their initial Xbox titles at all as I feel like Grabbed by the Ghoulies is one of their all-time worst titles and Live and Reloaded is a mostly worse version of an already kinda mixed quality game. I do think so many staffers moving to Free Radical was one of the worst things to happen to them and I am certain more than just FPS suffered.

Opinions and all that, but for me their more extensive collectathons with Tooie and especially DK64 are awful experiences and with how often so many Rare devs have made fun of DK64 in particular I think it is pretty clear they recognize those as failures to some degree too.

I apologize if my post came off a bit toxic, that was not my intention. It just gets a bit tiresome with the type of fans that never got over the transition and oftentimes do not even seem to have tried any of the games.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Oh I did not mean to prop up their initial Xbox titles at all as I feel like Grabbed by the Ghoulies is one of their all-time worst titles and Live and Reloaded is a mostly worse version of an already kinda mixed quality game. I do think so many staffers moving to Free Radical was one of the worst things to happen to them and I am certain more than just FPS suffered.

Opinions and all that, but for me their more extensive collectathons with Tooie and especially DK64 are awful experiences and with how often so many Rare devs have made fun of DK64 in particular I think it is pretty clear they recognize those as failures to some degree too.

I apologize if my post came off a bit toxic, that was not my intention. It just gets a bit tiresome with the type of fans that never got over the transition and oftentimes do not even seem to have tried any of the games.

Oh, your post wasn't toxic at all. Don't forget we're in a Rare thread. You'll always find plenty of "gems" to read here. Nothing you said can be compared to some of the stuff we've already read here. I just think you are overblowing Rare's situation in the late Nintendo years just a bit.

When it comes to what you think of their later N64 games, that's all a matter of opinion. But when it comes to talking about how many people left before the buyout, that's always a stingy one. Not as many people left as you (and many others) seem to think so. Most people started leaving around the Kinect era. Either voluntarily or involuntarily.

This is one of the most prominent pieces of misinformation in Rare discussions and has been for over 15 years now.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really well written op!

Rare is one of my favorite developers from.the SNES to the early N64 era.

I could never really get into the Rare OG/360 games but when they announced Rare Replay it got me to buy a One S and Sea of Thieves managed to become one of my favorite games this gen. The way they managed to develop a GAAS without forcing me to constantly play to be able to still play with my friends is brilliant. We can decide for a quick round of SoT whenever and try some stuff out without anyone having to grind to a certain point to be able to enjoy the game.

I really appreciate that MS managed to find a rythm with sourcing out old Rare IPs and let Rare themselves work on something different and I'm excited for what they might revive next. A new physics driven, Ray traced GI take on Blast Corps would be amazing as a smaller title for example.

The only thing that might have been better right now with an Activision Rare would be that we would have a full scope remake of Banjo out or announced right now.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
You know what would have been great for Nintendo?

A 60fps/480p version of Perfect Dark at the launch of Gamecube.

A lot of people had moved on from the N64 by the time that console's version came out so it would have been a great incentive for some people to buy the Gamecube knowing it was housing the big Goldeneye sequel.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
You know what would have been great for Nintendo?

A 60fps/480p version of Perfect Dark at the launch of Gamecube.

A lot of people had moved on from the N64 by the time that console's version came out so it would have been a great incentive for some people to buy the Gamecube knowing it was housing the big Goldeneye sequel.

It would have been a killer app and it would have helped the Gamecube to fight its "lunchbox" reputation. The RAM issue would have been fixed too (basically the only complain about the game on N64 and Rare later reckoned that having to buy the RAM expansion hurt the game sales).

Eternal Darkness was a N64 game at first too, same for Dinosaur Planet that was a N64 game and became Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube.
So it definitely was possible for Perfect Dark to do the same (the Gamecube released 18 months after PD, that would have been a lot of time to improve the graphics, make some changes and polish it).

Also, I think that if PD got moved as a launch title for the Gamecube, Nintendo would have bought Rare.

There is a very good article about this scenario

www.gamespot.com

What If Perfect Dark Had Come Out on the GameCube?

Video Game History Month 2014: Tom imagines how video games would have changed if Perfect Dark had come out on the GameCube instead of the Nintendo 64, and believes everyone would have been better off.

In insight, I think it really was a big missed opportunity for Nintendo to not move the game on the Gamecube. It would have changed a lot of things.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
It would have been a killer app and it would have helped the Gamecube to fight its "lunchbox" reputation. The RAM issue would have been fixed too (basically the only complain about the game on N64 and Rare later reckoned that having to buy the RAM expansion hurt the game sales).

Eternal Darkness was a N64 game at first too, same for Dinosaur Planet that was a N64 game and became Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube.
So it definitely was possible for Perfect Dark to do the same (the Gamecube released 18 months after PD, that would have been a lot of time to improve the graphics, make some changes and polish it).

Also, I think that if PD got moved as a launch title for the Gamecube, Nintendo would have bought Rare.

There is a very good article about this scenario

www.gamespot.com

What If Perfect Dark Had Come Out on the GameCube?

Video Game History Month 2014: Tom imagines how video games would have changed if Perfect Dark had come out on the GameCube instead of the Nintendo 64, and believes everyone would have been better off.

In insight, I think it really was a big missed opportunity for Nintendo to not move the game on the Gamecube. It would have changed a lot of things.

Interesting 'what if' and a thought-provoking article, thanks for sharing.

Can't quite believe it's nearly 20 years since the purchase. It seems having your mind blown by a large acquisition is not a new phenomenon!