zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I genuinely think sequels and established IPs like elder scrolls VI will be timed exclusive (a year) while new IPs will be true exclusives.

It still makes gamepass very tempting while games like Starfield will push console sales.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
Ya they're making it harder to ignore their offerings. Haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 but I'll be getting one this gen, excellent job by MS preparing for this gen. Still getting a PS5 (I love those exclusives), but kudos to MS for upping their offerings too.
If I could afford it I'd love to get all three consoles, but TBH I was such a big Halo/Game Pass fan I already made up my mind to preorder XSX a while ago. Now with this Bethesda news I'm so convinced that it's the place to be next gen.

Though assuredly I'll look at PS5 and Nintendo down the line. I'm just so excited for the future of Xbox.

BUT SERIOUSLY XBOX MAKE SMASH BROS!

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Over the last decade, gamers have been able to own their Playstation and Nintendo consoles while safely ignoring Xbox.

They can't do that anymore and are (understandably) angry.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
EicrkPiXgAAIfKJ.jpg%3Alarge
Including both BGS and Bethesda Softworks doesn't make sense. Softworks is the publishing division, not a development studio, and it will be dissolved. Microsoft doesn't count it among their now 23 development studios.

That said, that's still a wild list.

I've been saying for a while now: Microsoft is hungry this gen.

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020
I'm not a fan of buying studios to secure exclusivity agreements, but remember how happy people were that EA Access games were coming to game pass? You can't blame game pass subscribers for being excited that Bethesda and Id games are coming to game pass day one.
And if it had been a simple gamepass deal where all of Bethesda's portfolio showed up on it I would've been absolutely overjoyed. I play 99% of my games on PC and am currently a gamepass subscriber and I still see this as an absolute negative for the industry.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The word anti consumer barely exists in this situation for some reason
I THINK the big difference is PC.

When sony moneyhats something or buys a studio,you have to buy a PS console to play it or in some cases, wait for a exclusivity deal to end, with MS now you can buy an Xbox console or a PC, an "open" platform, and you will probably have the option to get it on gamepass or buy it on steam day one.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
True but idk if they can make that money back if they're exclusive. Time will tell. How many copies did Skyrim sell on ps3 and PS4? That's got to be a quarter of a billion dollars per major Fallout/E Scrolls release they'd be losing

Xbox already made the comment. Exclusive it looks like. Probably a game here and there like the switch ones.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I think both Microsoft actually gives a shit about pissing off people and pushing those off platform further away from xbox and they don't want to do that to the teams
Yeah I agree with this. However, they would be pissing off Xbox people, consumers who have already committed to xbox and have a console by honoring these agreements.

So it's piss off your own consumers or competitor consumers. It makes more sense to piss off your competitor consumers than your own.

At the same time, I'm sure a few people were planning to buy the PS5 for those exclusive games. It's possible that they might jump ship. So they would piss off some competitor consumers and jump ship others by not honoring the deal if that makes sense

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
MS making a serious play with buying Zenimax, good stuff! I wonder though how Fallout and Elder Scrolls will sell without the PS5 if they choose to keep them off the platform. They are games pretty much made to sell at least 20 million copies

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo will continue to get ports lol
Like i'm saying to some friends on discord. Nintendo and Microsoft have at least a way better relationship than Sony and Microsoft do. Hell Nintendo got Banjo (for smash), Cuphead and the Ori games. So I see this move as more of an FU to sony and nintendo will still probably get games like they have from microsoft.

Aug 12, 2019
So is it time for the video games arm race of the major console manufacturers buying up studios? Cause that's what this move feels like considering it's not like Bethesda/Zenimax was a studio struggling to achieve their vision or make profit on their releases. This isn't a talented team that has struggled to find footing getting their big break like Ninja Theory or Double Fine did. This is just a corporate acquisition that is going to have big ramifications for the industry as a whole and is likely going to exacerbate different issues.

I'm not a fan of this at all just like I wasn't a fan of Sony pushing for dumb console exclusive stuff so often in the past year with PS5. Seems like there's a push for acquisition instead of development of your own resources. Just not a fan of this at all.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
This is terrible. From what someone on Era has heard, if Xbox loses ground this generation, Microsoft will kill the Xbox division. All these studios gone by the end of the generation :(
Who told you this? A Company doesn't pay $7.5 billion to exit the video game space anytime soon. They also just announced 15M Game Pass subscriber. There is absolutely no danger of MS killing the Xbox Division for a very long time, if ever.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This move reeks of desperation more than anything else, especially considering I don't think there's any way AAA titles like Fallout or Elder Scrolls will be console exclusive to Xbox alone.
That's a lot of money left on the table.

Kudos to MS for having the balls to pull it off though. Trying their best to make things spicy this gen! Feels like the early 2000s all over again

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 billion.

Sony doesn't have to counter this. They don't need this type of war because they don't have the amount of cash and they are doing something totally different than MSFT. Sony wants to sell consoles, MSFT wants you invested in their ecosystem via Gamepass, whether it's available on Windows PC, Xbox, or Andriod.

Crazy.

Yeah, I don't know. Is MS even done after this? What about Amazon? The entire industry is consolidating, Sony will need to answer I think.