Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EicrkPiXgAAIfKJ.jpg%3Alarge

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you prefer I wrote it as "buy another overpriced console or build a PC to get the next game in a series you played on your console of choice"? The point is that locking down an entire publisher's catalog of multiplatform games as exclusives is bad for the industry and only good for Microsoft's shareholders.

People would be FURIOUS if Sony bought a publisher this big. "But it's also on PC, you should be happy!" is not a valid excuse for taking access away from millions of customers.
Overpriced? Wtf.

data

Oct 25, 2017
They've done the same thing for every other place they have purchased
With the indie studios, I wasn't thinking about that since we were still late gen.

The fact is we're on the cusp of the next generation and I personally think it's a bad financial decision to honor the contracts that could potentially lose customers to their competitor.

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
Schreier reporting MS will honor the timed exclusive deals for Deatloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Hopefully, the healing can now begin.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
So when the Demon's Souls rumor on PC/other consoles was a thing (which I always thought meant PS4) everyone was like "it's not gonna be on Xbox Sony owns it", but when MS pays 7 billion for Zenimax suddenly it's "TES can still be on PS5"? The goalposts, they move so fast. XD

Bethesda stuff is gonna be XSX/PC most likely and folks need to be ready for that if they still want to play their games, since it will be down to MS to decide if they want to allow it on Nintendo and Sony stuff going forward (my money is on XSX, PC and Switch successor given their relationship with Nintendo lately).

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
My kneejerk reaction is that this is about ensuring a vibrant gaming ecosystem for Microsoft beyond the physical console and addressingaps in their first- and second-party offerings; it is not inevitable that competing consoles won't receive titles at all-

Damn. Well, my PC is turning out to be an incredible investment.

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I don't even play games from Bethesda, but whats irks me so is the implications for the future of the industry. So, we just end up buying up each publisher now to broaden your portfolio. This is a sad time, in my opinion.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Because you can make much more money if you still give the games to the Sony installbase. MS want all the money, what would a better way to make profit than still publishing Bethesda games on PS4/5 AND having them on Gamepass day one.

or if they want to be assholes, game pass day one and in 6months for full price on PS5, that would be a bigger incentive for people to buy also an Xbox console if they haven´t already.
I have always said that these companies need to spend money in a way that they think will bring them the best possible return on investment. Sony just chooses to spend their money on timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.

My hope had always been that if Microsoft was going to spend money, they should do it in a manner that makes Game Pass more valuable to the consumer. They have just done that. I cannot see a good reason as to why they buy such a huge publisher and do not leverage the IP to make Xbox and Game Pass more attractive to the consumer, it doesn't make any sense. There might be some games that release on all platforms, but at the end of the day, this is a new generation and there is absolutely no reason why they should not be looking to expand their market share.

As is, Microsoft has established the platform as a home not only to some of the best RPG franchises, but they cement the console as the go to home for first person shooters too with the additions of Wolfenstein and DOOM.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Xbox can make their own Smash Bros and have so much more material than Nintendo and Sony at this point LOL!

This is megaton news. How does one not go Xbox or PC this gen?
Ya they're making it harder to ignore their offerings. Haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 but I'll be getting one this gen, excellent job by MS preparing for this gen. Still getting a PS5 (I love those exclusives), but kudos to MS for upping their offerings too.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck did the Series S leak so badly, yet this $7.5 Billion industry shaking acquisition come out of nowhere

You knew for a long time that Bethesda's investors were pushing for either a sale or an IPO. But this one came out of nowhere and contradicted Microsoft's previous acquisition moves.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the indie studios, I wasn't thinking about that since we were still late gen.

The fact is we're on the cusp of the next generation and I personally think it's a bad financial decision to honor the contracts that could potentially lose customers to their competitor.

I think both Microsoft actually gives a shit about pissing off people and pushing those off platform further away from xbox and they don't want to do that to the teams

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
The timing of this announcement is amazing. Just a day from pre orders starting. Gamepass really the best service out there.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of 7.5B going into funding news games and studios, 7.5B went to investors, and the net outcome might be locking 10s of millions of gamers out of games they expected to be able to play.

No one's locked out of anything, though. You can either get an Xbox or play them via game pass elsewhere.

May 25, 2019
London
The more I think about this, the more I see it is a warning shot to Google and Amazon. Google was trying to have Doom Eternal be its big Stadia launch title last year. Microsoft is trying to box them out of any content that might entice people to try those platforms.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If the news today was that Sony hade made this purchase then that would of been a fucking disaster. All of the big Ip's will still be console multiplatform for sure, far too much money on the table.

They didn't though. So there is nothing to be said about something that didn't happen and wasn't in the planning stage.

and we cannot guarantee this over the long term. They will probably appear on gamepass, but again, consolidating a massive industry under one library is a slippery slope.