• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I can find one I'd like to get one for my son, but do we need a PC to use it?

You can use it in three ways:

1. Just the Quest 2, you don't need a PC. Games will typically be lower quality (graphics wise) but you're entirely wireless.
2. Have a PC + link cable, this lets you play games on your PC to your headset. You are limited by the wire.
3. Use Virtual Desktop as a sort of mix. Streams from the PC to the headset. Needs a good internet / router and typically will require some troubleshooting to get perfect.

If you want the lease hassle free experience, it's just 1 but there's a lot less software.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017

1. Just the Quest 2, you don't need a PC. Games will typically be lower quality (graphics wise) but you're entirely wireless.
2. Have a PC + link cable, this lets you play games on your PC to your headset. You are limited by the wire.
3. Use Virtual Desktop as a sort of mix. Streams from the PC to the headset. Needs a good internet / router and typically will require some troubleshooting to get perfect.

If you want the lease hassle free experience, it's just 1 but there's a lot less software.
Thanks!

Random, but if PS5 streams fine to my iPad in the house, do you think 3 would work well enough?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you need an internet connection at all for Virtual Desktop. It all takes place on your local network. You just need a decent router from the past 5 years.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So i want to learn about these vr games and am noobish. I didnt realize the headset itself has storage? Why? Cant I store my games on my own PC? So that it doesnt matter what version I get?

MrBigBoy

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
So i want to learn about these vr games and am noobish. I didnt realize the headset itself has storage? Why? Cant I store my games on my own PC? So that it doesnt matter what version I get?
The storage on the headset is meant for the standalone Quest games. When playing connected to your PC the games have to be stored on the PC.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Quest is a stand-alone VR games console.
It can optionally be connected to a PC to use as a headset, wired or wirelessly, for PC VR games; but a PC is not required.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The Quest is a standalone "console". You only need the Quest and the controllers to play games. It's true wireless VR gaming and it's awesome. You also need a Facebook-Account to connect to the Oculus store where you can buy the games. There is also a program called "side-load" which lets you connect to the side-load store with more games. These are mostly indie games but there are some neat stuff and tech-demos to be found.

Not all games in the Oculus store work on the Quest though. There are descriptions for every game and where it runs. So don't expect to play their heavy-hitters like Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath or Stormland to be playable on the Quest. There is still a good range of games playable on the Quest. There are graphical differences between games that also release on PC. So don't expect something like The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners look as good on the Quest as it does on PC. There is even a difference between graphics between the original Quest and the more powerful Quest 2. It pretty much works like PS4 > PS4Pro > PC when it comes down to differences in graphics. Most games are cross-buy, but not all of them. Means if you bought it for the Quest you can also play it on PC via the Oculus Store. Beat Saber is one infamous case that DOESN'T work on both, so you need to buy it twice if you want to play it on both PC and Quest. There are also games that are only on Quest but not on PC. It can get kinda confusing at times, but if you are unsure, just ask here.

The Quest can be connected to a PC via USB (preferably 3.0, 2.0 works too now) to be used as a PC VR Headset. You can play both Oculus Store games and Steam Games on PC. You can also run games from "unknown" sources. The only game I never got to run in VR was the VR version of GRID from the Twitch-Store.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
There is also a program called "side-load" which lets you connect to the side-load store with more games.

The app is called "SideQuest", not "side-load"

Not all games in the Oculus store work on the Quest though. There are descriptions for every game and where it runs. So don't expect to play their heavy-hitters like Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath or Stormland to be playable on the Quest.

This isn't an issue if you use the store on the Quest itself or the mobile app (with the filter set to Quest) as they only show games you can run on the Quest itself.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The app is called "SideQuest", not "side-load"

This isn't an issue if you use the store on the Quest itself or the mobile app (with the filter set to Quest) as they only show games you can run on the Quest itself.
Side Quest, right.
You can show Rift games in the app as well. There is a button to toggle between the devices. But yes, the Store on the Quest is Quest games only. There is also a refund system so even if you accidentally buy the wrong game it isn't really an issue.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Ok now im confused again. There are exclusive games that are exclusive to a specific headset? Example: vive only games? Interesting...

I think that all games should work on quest. For instance rift s only games should work on quest (2) using the link cable

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I installed up Star Wars: Squadrons tonight so I could play it this weekend. Sucks that it doesn't support touch controls.

My VR pc isn't at a desk (it's next to my TV) so I can't easily use keyboard and mouse which is what the game defaults to. So I had to pair a spare DS4 controller with Steam. After a bit of hassle I finally have it ready to play.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Ok now im confused again. There are exclusive games that are exclusive to a specific headset? Example: vive only games? Interesting...
Vive isn't an Oculus Device. The Oculus PC Only headsets are called Rift.
Just go to their store. You can pic the device there and it will show you the games you can play on them:

Shop Rift VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the pc-powered Rift headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Rift.

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

The detailled sites for the games also mention the supported devices.
I installed up Star Wars: Squadrons tonight so I could play it this weekend. Sucks that it doesn't support touch controls.

My VR pc isn't at a desk (it's next to my TV) so I can't easily use keyboard and mouse which is what the game defaults to. So I had to pair a spare DS4 controller with Steam. After a bit of hassle I finally have it ready to play.
The game plays best with a controller. It's pretty much optimized for that because it's also on consoles.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Pargon Mr.Deadshot kurt

Ok thanks for answering my questions, yall.

Man... $299 is a great price for my first vr headset. It looks like I can still order now with an estimated shipping date for jan.8th (official site). This will be a fun experience for me I hope in the future.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
For some reason I have just gotten really into Beat Saber. Now the arrows on the boxes have started to disappear. The fuckers.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
So I really am not into the music or aesthetics of beat saber, but for those with the full game, how is Synth Riders? I got the demo from SideQuest but am wondering how good the full product is.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Just bought Tetris Effect as it's on the Daily Deal - wanted it FOREVER and it's awesome that it's on sale in VR.

I have Beat Saber on PC, but the missus loves it and I'll eventually buy it on the Quest...

I've got No Man's Sky to play and Elite Dangerous, I bought TWD: Saints & Sinners and damn that is an impressive game.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
I have a question related to purchasing an Oculus Rift S, and how that would be added to a pre-existing Oculus account that was used for a Gear VR device many moons ago.

With the changes that Facebook brought in requiring a linked FB account to a new device, does this apply to Quest 2 only?

For example, having an Oculus account already, would I be able to buy/use this new Oculus Rift S device without linking said account to FB, and be good until Jan 2023?

Looking at purchasing a Rift S, play some games for a year or so, and then just sell off for smaller loss than buying a Reverb G2. Understand some may say this is silly at this stage to purchase a Rift S, but can currently get it for a third off.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question related to purchasing an Oculus Rift S, and how that would be added to a pre-existing Oculus account that was used for a Gear VR device many moons ago.

With the changes that Facebook brought in requiring a linked FB account to a new device, does this apply to Quest 2 only?

For example, having an Oculus account already, would I be able to buy/use this new Oculus Rift S device without linking said account to FB, and be good until Jan 2023?

Looking at purchasing a Rift S, play some games for a year or so, and then just sell off for smaller loss than buying a Reverb G2. Understand some may say this is silly at this stage to purchase a Rift S, but can currently get it for a third off.

The Quest 2 is a better headset than the Rift S in every way - even if you're getting it for 1/3 off (which would put it at roughly the same price?).

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
The Quest 2 is a better headset than the Rift S in every way - even if you're getting it for 1/3 off (which would put it at roughly the same price?).

Fully aware of this. But the wireless aspect doesn't make too much of a difference to me with my setup as won't be more than 5m away from the PC, and the games I mostly want to play are along the lines of Star Wars Squadrons, Elite, Tetris Effect, Flight Sim etc.

Also limited with a GTX 1070, and a 4770k....so the additional weight of processing wireless streaming/encoding, 8Hz higher refresh, and more pixels, is something I actually do want to avoid.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So I really am not into the music or aesthetics of beat saber, but for those with the full game, how is Synth Riders? I got the demo from SideQuest but am wondering how good the full product is.
Synth Riders is good, but Dance Collider is way better IMHO.
But I think there is no Quest-Version of Dance Collider :\ Only Rift.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Synth Riders is good, but Dance Collider is way better IMHO.
But I think there is no Quest-Version of Dance Collider :\ Only Rift.

Thanks for the recommend. I have some PCs that I can Virtual Desktop / Link but they are all very shitty and can only run lower end VR titles (I'm looking at you 'recently optimized for lower power devices'-REZ

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the recommend. I have some PCs that I can Virtual Desktop / Link but they are all very shitty and can only run lower end VR titles (I'm looking at you 'recently optimized for lower power devices'-REZ
System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge or equivalent.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 or equivalent.
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Storage: 8 GB available space.
If your PC can do that:
It's often on sale for a few $ - wait for the upcoming X-Mas Steam Deal
But you can't go wrong with Synth Rider either. Maybe compare the soundtrack of both and pick what you like more. I prefer the music of Dance Collider.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Having spent the last week and a half with the quest 2 as my first VR headset I gotta say I'm blown away by the package. From Beat Saber standalone to modded with custom songs to wired and even fully wireless pc-based VR this thing has handled just about everything I could hope to throw at it.

Getting the negatives out of the way: Now I had previously messed around a bit with my roommate's Index, but I see very little difference in screen quality, with maybe black levels/banding in darker games like Alien Isolation being the only other minor disappointment besides the narrower FOV that I noticed. I do think that the Knuckles' palm-centered strap needs to be industry standard moving forward, however, as I do miss the natural feeling of just opening and closing my hands to pick up and drop things in games like HL:A. Given how fiddly the finger tracking was on knuckles though I don't really miss that here, at least. There's also very little that seems to take advantage of hand tracking, and even that seems real finicky in stuff that does, relegating it strictly to the realm of gimmick and maybe desperation convenience for navigating without the controllers. I also wish the battery life were a bit better without having to buy the $115 strap and case addon (though the included AA batteries don't seem to have lost practically any charge in the controllers in the meantime), but it's been fine enough for 3.5-ish hour play sessions off the grid and of course it's not an issue with a properly long USB cable (which REALLY should have just come in the box, Oculus, but I'll give ya'll a pass given the overall price tag)

Otherwise the tracking has been solid, with maybe a small handful of times in beat saber where it seemed to break down slightly in certain situations at the edges of the headset periphery and if the controllers get too close to the headset with bow/arrow and backpack inventory type actions, but these are relatively uncommon and hardly game-breaking. In Beat Saber in particular as probably the worst-case scenario I've gone from normal/hard to expert/expert+ capability within that timespan and have S-ranked a handful of tracks at expert. It certainly seems by my experience then that inside-out optical tracking is more than good enough for VR at this point, and I see no reason for the average consumer to ever need something like Lighthouse given the cost savings and the ease of setup. And I think the latter point can't be emphasized enough, really, the ability to just pop on the headset and go with maybe 15 seconds of setup required is the real triumph here, both in my own home and bringing it over to a friend's place. Even going with a fully wireless PCVR streaming setup a room and a half away from my desktop the added latency was nearly imperceptible, and being able to freely roam around my living room space instead of being confined to the small area around my computer desk and managing a dangling cable is just a huge boon to this thing's usability. Using this thing on a regular basis is just easy, in every conceivable way. And then being able to also natively mirror the headset to a chromecast at any time with 2 button presses is just icing on the cake for sharing the experience with others. And I gotta say again, wirelessly streaming PCVR via virtual desktop has worked far better than it had any right to (granted I have Nighthawk X4S router and a Wifi 6 card with an external antenna that helps). Once Wifi 6E hits critical mass then fully wireless VR will be the default, i have no doubt.

On the software side of things, admittedly outside of Beat Saber I haven't done much on Quest-native apps. Beat Saber is my most played software by far as of now, though, and is probably the most transcendant and distinctly VR-only experience I've had. I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy it partly in hopes to also supplement my cardio, because man you can really work up a sweat (and a back ache if you're not careful). Alien Isolation and Half Life Alyx have both been similarly stellar experiences thus far. Brass Tactics has also been pretty good, though surprisingly difficult. Thumper definitely gains a bit in VR, but not as big of a difference in VR really. Minecraft VR (and the Java based Vivecraft) has felt similarly underwhelming, along with Overload, though I've not spent as much time in these as the others. Tabletop Simulator felt pretty janky, but that game has never had the friendliest UI anyway. DolphinVR was pretty compelling where it worked, Pikmin in particular, but definitely begs for proper integration, support, and optimization outside of the 4 year old branch it's been stuck in. This was also one of the few areas though where it might have been more a limitation of my PC hardware. I managed to grab a 3080 but I'm still stuck on a 4770K and 8GB of 1866MHz DDR3, so I imagine performance will improve once I get a proper CPU/mobo update (waiting to see what intel has with Rocket lake before I commit). HL:A also had performance hitches likely for the same reason. I was also disappointed to learn that HelixVision doesn't currently work with 3080 capable drivers as I was particularly looking forward to sprucing up my current Witcher 3 playthrough. In fact, weirdly, attempting to stream TW3 in 2D via Virtual Desktop was maybe the only thing I attempted where the FPS dropped to completely unplayable for some reason, even though I get a solid 90+ FPS maxed out on my desktop proper. I also noticed that Beat Saber on quest native seemed to stutter consistently if I had my headphones connected via bluetooth instead of wired, so I'm wondering if it might've been similar interference from my switch pro controller I had hooked up.

Overall couldn't be much happier with the investment. Just hope that there's progress on a jailbreak so I can remove the FB profile requirement at some point.

For some reason I have just gotten really into Beat Saber. Now the arrows on the boxes have started to disappear. The fuckers.

I had to quit the campaign once I got to the point where i had to have a set number of misses or like an exact combo, forcing you to intermittently play badly. Just not fun, really ruined the campaign for me.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

Wait what?? You can't play squadrons with the Quest 2 controllers via VD??

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've put a bunch of Custom songs into BeatSaber and I just play those, I've never even played the built in songs once lol.
I've played it every week day in the morning for exercise and hasn't gotten old yet after a month and a half

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So when can I expect the availability situation to get better? Here in Germany, you cannot even buy the thing on the official site. I was thinking about maybe getting it depending on how good my tax return is next year.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The account requirement also applies on Quest 1. The deadline is only for people who already had a Quest 1 and Oculus account before they announced the requirement.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus has some free apps: bogo, first contact, first steps.

For games buy a simulation of a hobby he likes. Bowling, minigolf, table tennis. Buy one with room scale and a green comfort rating. Blaston is awesome and doesn't get mentioned here much, but im not sure its right for your dad.

Beat Saber is pretty fun even for beginners.

You could skip the middle man and put some porn on there!

There certainly is not a free advent Christmas calendar at BadoinkVR offering a free video to download every day this month until Christmas. Don't Google search the website name + xmas-2020 if you don't want to find it! 4K and 5K video downloads are large but play great on the Q2.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So when can I expect the availability situation to get better? Here in Germany, you cannot even buy the thing on the official site. I was thinking about maybe getting it depending on how good my tax return is next year.

The Quest 2 is actually banned from being sold in Germany due to it requiring a Facebook account to use.

The German government sued Facebook last week over this as a matter of fact. Hopefully this leads to them being forced to drop the requirement in Germany then the EU... and eventually the rest of the world.

Unfortunately the only reason the Quest 2 is so cheap is because Facebook is taking a massive loss on it to force people to use Facebook accounts and get in their ecosystem, so who knows what will happen

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Haven't turned on my Quest in months (I was in Italy while my Quest was in Spain), today I updated everything but Next VR app ain't working? It was a cool easy way to show some decent VR sport footage (basketball, football and hockey were cool) to guests.

I guess they've dropped support? Any substitute? Don't wanna show vr porn to lady friends lol

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Quest 2 is actually banned from being sold in Germany due to it requiring a Facebook account to use.

The German government sued Facebook last week over this as a matter of fact. Hopefully this leads to them being forced to drop the requirement in Germany then the EU... and eventually the rest of the world.

Unfortunately the only reason the Quest 2 is so cheap is because Facebook is taking a massive loss on it to force people to use Facebook accounts and get in their ecosystem, so who knows what will happen

Oh really? Well that's interesting.

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
So, Santa is bringing me a quest 2 for Christmas :)

Is the elite head strap a must buy? and is it worth getting lens protectors and a vr cover silicone cover part? Thanks for any advice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There certainly is not a free advent Christmas calendar at BadoinkVR offering a free video to download every day this month until Christmas. Don't Google search the website name + xmas-2020 if you don't want to find it! 4K and 5K video downloads are large but play great on the Q2.

these things that definitely don't exist - are previous dates still available or have we missed 14 already

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have experience with prescription inserts?

I 3D printed the inserts for the $10 lenses from zenni. Worked great, and have no complaints.

www.thingiverse.com

Oculus prescription lens adaptor (Quest 2, Quest and Rift S) by tanvach

Description If you are looking for headset lens protector, consider printing out this model instead: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3653631 Prescription lens adaptor for new Oculus headsets (Quest 2, Quest and Rift S), which all have the same lens adaptor mount. It's designed to take standard...

You can order pre-printed inserts and just get the lenses cheap too.

Oct 27, 2017

Yup I bought whatever oculus has on their site. I love them, but have no reference point, and was coming from trying to squeeze too big frames in.

I see I overpaid but it was honestly the only accessory not sold out when I was looking and it was all pretty easy and quick. I had my prescription on hand already though, that helped.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
finally trained up myself on beat saber hard and able to get perfect combo on a few levels...

now unto Expert...

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Game changer for me, bought from widmovr, only problem is the left lens fogging up in a beat saber/pistol whip/fitxr marathon something fierce, dunno if the vrcover faceplate its the cause or not, I'll try with the regular oculus faceplate this weekend see if it gets better.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
After waiting ages for VRCover to come back in stock, I only just noticed it says at the bottom it isnt compatible with the glasses spacer. I have no idea why it wouldnt be, but does anyone have a good alternative that is compatible?

Oct 27, 2017
After waiting ages for VRCover to come back in stock, I only just noticed it says at the bottom it isnt compatible with the glasses spacer. I have no idea why it wouldnt be, but does anyone have a good alternative that is compatible?

Its not compatible I assume because of the added the air vents but thays just a guess.

I was in the same boat but finally got one from VRCover, taking 2 weeks to get here but comes friday. My wife plays with glasses, I have lens inserts. I hope it works well for both of us.

Hoping the airflow allows longer play without adjusting, as the silicone I have covering the foam now creates a sweat seal very quick which leads to some insane vr face.

I read that on the site and couldnt find the comfort padding to buy, do you have a link for it?

2 are included with the cover, standard and comfort.

Not sure if they allow ordering extras seperately.

Last edited:

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Was just about to purchase Amnesia: Rebirth but apparently the launch discount isn't valid any longer, despite the release being 1+ hour away. 😪
You can use the comfort padding, it adds space equivalent to the spacer iirc.
Its not compatible I assume because of the added the air vents but thays just a guess.

I was in the same boat but finally got one from VRCover, taking 2 weeks to get here but comes friday. My wife plays with glasses, I have lens inserts. I hope it works well for both of us.

Hoping the airflow allows longer play without adjusting, as the silicone I have covering the foam now creates a sweat seal very quick which leads to some insane vr face.

2 are included with the cover, standard and comfort.

Not sure if they allow ordering extras seperately.
It comes with it, one chunky padding(this is it), and another one thinner.

oooh I'm an idiot, thank you.

I'm pretty worried about scratching the lenses with my glasses. Do we know if it is exactly the same as the spacer or slightly less? I'd rather not risk it and already feel I'm very close as it is.