• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Depends on bitrate and codec. W/ h.264 i have to crank the bitrate and still see artifacts. HVEC gives a cleaner image at comparable bitrates, but tends to be higher latency.
Thanks! That did help. it did look better with a little more stuttering. If I can figure out a way to connect my PC directly to my router easily (its in another room), It might help even more.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I am so close to buying one as I helped a friend over Discord get his all set up with Virtual Desktop and it worked flawlessly. I *think* these are my glasses sizing.
54-17-140

Them seem theyd be too big. Any help from glasses wearers?

I wear fairly big glasses but not sure of the exact measurements so can't help you much there (glasses only have the temple measurement on it, 145, so you're good there.

They were an awkward fit at first, you kind of have to nudge them forward on your face after putting the headset on because it'll shove them so close you eyelashes will be touching the glasses lens.

I found the problem was worse with the default strap and more manageable with the Elite one. Or it might have just have been getting used to it as I used the default for a few days first. Downside of the Elite strap is that getting the headset off with your glasses on is awkward. Have to loosen it a decent amount otherwise your glasses want to stay in.

Bru

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My Elite Strap with Battery & Carry Case woes continue.

Amazon dispatched my goods complete with tracking (prompting cancellation of an order with Oculus) only to warn of possible late delivery. I'm now informed the parcel may be lost! This is the same preorder that was secure and on the way, until it became unobtainable at 9 am on launch day.

Going to get in touch and find out what the hell is happening.

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Finally spent some quality time with Virtual Desktop. It may be subtle differences, but it's a substantial upgrade over the Quest 1 VD experience. Unless you're buying PCVR exclusively for seated experiences like race sims, I just could not recommend anything other than Quest 2 (if you can live with the Facebook element). Roomscale VR is really good with this. Quest 1 was good, but this is really good.

Why would Quest 2 VD be any different to Quest 1?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
New owners: be sure to load an MKV on your headset and try out a movie. It's so neat.

My Elite Strap with Battery & Carry Case woes continue.

Amazon dispatched my goods complete with tracking (prompting cancellation of an order with Oculus) only to warn of possible late delivery. I'm now informed the parcel may be lost! This is the same preorder that was secure and on the way, until it became unobtainable at 9 am on launch day.

Going to get in touch and find out what the hell is happening.
wtf

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
My biggest issue with VD is that about half of the time it'll either get stuck at 'Measuring Bandwith' or say 'Connected' but never pop the desktop up, and then on top of that, half the time when I try to launch Steam VR, it'll hang for a minute or so and then the button will go back to "Launch Steam VR", and I'll have to exit and start over. It's pretty routine to take 5-7 tries to get onto my desktop and have a successful SteamVR launch.

Streaming quality and latency itself has been great though.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Because VD was updated for quest 2 and the quest 2 has a much better chip for streaming?

that being said VD on my quest 1 ran flawlessly, I still haven't managed to get it to run flawlessly on my quest 2 lol.

That is interesting. I'm presuming your setup is identical otherwise? It probably points to an issue with the updated VD.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That is interesting. I'm presuming your setup is identical otherwise? It probably points to an issue with the updated VD.
I actually don't know if I've tried VD on the quest 1 since I got my new computer. So my minor issues could be related to my AMD processor instead of intel one I had even if the AMD one is like twice as powerful as my old second gen i7. (I have twice the ram as well now, but the same video card)

like... it's close to working right... but for some reason I'm having audio hick ups every 1.5 seconds or so, and slight frame rate issues at the same time. Thumper seemed to run mostly fine, but Until you Fall had issues.

On the flip side my link works way better than the quest 1. It starts up in like 20% of the time, and runs smoothly in general, even if It's been fighting me a bit on starting steam games. And for the first time since like January the pc version of beat saber is playing well.

I do have issues with my internet about once every 2 weeks that could be related to like the memory on my router slowly getting full or something as it requires me to restart my router to fix it, and i haven't reset it in a while so perhaps I will need to try that.

Also been debating about just getting something like the ASUS RT-AX55 AX1800 Dual Band WiFi 6 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router but my current router was not cheap and is only 3 years old and in general works so I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it when I can just use the link and I'm not sure it will fix my little issue.

I'm also still expecting oculus to release some sort of streaming solution themselves within the next 6 months. But we will see on that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Link out with the increased bitrate settings and it does work and looks a lot better, but for some reason Alyx is a stuttery mess on it and I'm not sure why. Runs fine through VD, and Boneworks and Saints & Sinners run flawlessly through Link using same settings. Think I may just do a format on my system soon to see if that helps, was planning on doing one anyway in prep for 2077.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm so surprised that VD works so well for me considering I'm running the PC and headset both on wireless.

I did have the PC cabled but due to some building work it's currently wireless and I've noticed no difference. No stuttering, no discernable lag when compared to wired, I'm honestly amazed.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Population: One needs:

- A separate inventory space for healing items. The decision of whether to take a healing item or that gun or grenade isn't worth the amount of times you'll end up accidentally dropping an item or just wonking your way through your inventory when confronted with a banana on the ground. One healing item slot to start, another at max backpacks would be fine, probably more than enough.
- There needs to be a weapon hotswap, preferably on the off-hand trigger. Having your map on one of the few inputs you can use while moving isn't a good value. Make off-trigger weapon hotswap, the lower face button the healing item hotswap, and put the map on the upper face button. Right now, neither face buttons on the off-hand are being used at all.
- ... and... that's it? There's room for inventory management improvements, but a lot of the issues would be mitigated if you just didn't have to go into the inventory as much. Maybe a visual indicator physically on your weapon indicating rarity -- just a little tag or something near the sight -- so that you know if you'd want to drop it for whatever you come across without having to pull up the menu to check.

Really enjoying the game. Very Apex-y, not just in the movement sense, but in how it manages to both be completely easy breezy and also have some legit mechanics.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I am so close to buying one as I helped a friend over Discord get his all set up with Virtual Desktop and it worked flawlessly. I *think* these are my glasses sizing.
54-17-140

Them seem theyd be too big. Any help from glasses wearers?
I wear fairly big glasses but not sure of the exact measurements so can't help you much there (glasses only have the temple measurement on it, 145, so you're good there.

They were an awkward fit at first, you kind of have to nudge them forward on your face after putting the headset on because it'll shove them so close you eyelashes will be touching the glasses lens.

I found the problem was worse with the default strap and more manageable with the Elite one. Or it might have just have been getting used to it as I used the default for a few days first. Downside of the Elite strap is that getting the headset off with your glasses on is awkward. Have to loosen it a decent amount otherwise your glasses want to stay in.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the official $80 prescription lenses (from FramesDirect). They just snap on top of the built-in lenses, look like they belong, and then you take off your glasses before putting on the headset.

Meta

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Weirdly I don't seem to need my glasses when gaming in VR. I wonder if it is something to do with astigmatism?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! That did help. it did look better with a little more stuttering. If I can figure out a way to connect my PC directly to my router easily (its in another room), It might help even more.

Any packet loss will result in stutter. The game will hiccup as it waits for lost packets to be resent. So that's #1 on the list, obviously. I will say, though, that even when you get you local network at 0% packet loss, I don't care for sliced rendering. At least with the Quest 1 I didn't. Latency was a little less with sliced encoding, but I didn't feel it was as smooth. I feel VD is much smoother without that option checked.

I actually don't know if I've tried VD on the quest 1 since I got my new computer. So my minor issues could be related to my AMD processor instead of intel one I had even if the AMD one is like twice as powerful as my old second gen i7. (I have twice the ram as well now, but the same video card)

like... it's close to working right... but for some reason I'm having audio hick ups every 1.5 seconds or so, and slight frame rate issues at the same time. Thumper seemed to run mostly fine, but Until you Fall had issues.

On the flip side my link works way better than the quest 1. It starts up in like 20% of the time, and runs smoothly in general, even if It's been fighting me a bit on starting steam games. And for the first time since like January the pc version of beat saber is playing well.

I do have issues with my internet about once every 2 weeks that could be related to like the memory on my router slowly getting full or something as it requires me to restart my router to fix it, and i haven't reset it in a while so perhaps I will need to try that.

Also been debating about just getting something like the ASUS RT-AX55 AX1800 Dual Band WiFi 6 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router but my current router was not cheap and is only 3 years old and in general works so I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it when I can just use the link and I'm not sure it will fix my little issue.

I'm also still expecting oculus to release some sort of streaming solution themselves within the next 6 months. But we will see on that.

It could be anything (PC and all), but it's not inherently an AMD thing. I've got a Ryzen 2700 and don't have any issues. AMD actually owns the majority of the enthusiast PC market sales and I've yet to see anyone on Reddit complain that it was inferior for VD. Could be the router... memory settings that are too aggressive... Windows... anything really. The downside of PC gaming.

Why would Quest 2 VD be any different to Quest 1?

90hz vs 72hz (if you unlock 90hz in dev mode)

As has been mentioned, the video encoder is just much better. Which means not only can you use more bandwidth, but it's also much faster. The drop in latency is not insubstantial and is definitely felt IMO.

Then there's things that are just inherent to the Quest 2. I have larger hands and I LOVE the new ergonomics on these controllers. They just melt into my hands and let me hold them in an ultra relaxed pose. I also think the camera layout is subtle but significant. Either the Quest 2 is just more robust at tracking or the angled layout of the top cameras is providing significantly more side coverage. Personally, with no hard data to show which, I suspect it's both.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Questions re: Steamvr Render resolution settings. Should I be lowering this? it defaults to 2496x 2592 per eye which is obviously higher than the Quest res. I have noticed some shitty performance in some games (the Room Vr struggling to hit 72 fps) I should be able to blaze through.

Should I be decreasing this or is it just a funky way of listing things, as someone new to VR? SHould I be setting it to the default Quest 2 res?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Questions re: Steamvr Render resolution settings. Should I be lowering this? it defaults to 2496x 2592 per eye which is obviously higher than the Quest res. I have noticed some shitty performance in some games (the Room Vr struggling to hit 72 fps) I should be able to blaze through.

Should I be decreasing this or is it just a funky way of listing things, as someone new to VR? SHould I be setting it to the default Quest 2 res?

For a lot of games, especially games with a forward rendering solution, it'll dramatically clean up the jaggies and your image quality. It's super sampling and it's great for VR.

Some major caveats:

It's not cheap and will destroy your framerate if set to high. I don't remember my default value being set that high, but I could be wrong.

I suggest setting your default value to 100% and then adjusting on a per game basis. It's in advanced settings somewhere. You can adjust up/down and specifically mention what % you want each game running at.

Also, if you're using the Oculus Debug Tool to set a mutiplier there, or use an ingame super-sample multiplier, these things all multiply on top of each other and if you're not careful, you can end up with an insane rendering resolution that will bring any system to its knees.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a lot of games, especially games with a forward rendering solution, it'll dramatically clean up the jaggies and your image quality. It's super sampling and it's great for VR.

Some major caveats:

It's not cheap and will destroy your framerate if set to high. I don't remember my default value being set that high, but I could be wrong.

I suggest setting your default value to 100% and then adjusting on a per game basis. It's in advanced settings somewhere. You can adjust up/down and specifically mention what % you want each game running at.

Also, if you're using the Oculus Debug Tool to set a mutiplier there, or use an ingame super-sample multiplier, these things all multiply on top of each other and if you're not careful, you can end up with an insane rendering resolution that will bring any system to its knees.

Thanks.

Found out the culprit was largely the Ambient Occlusion setting in that game, first thread in the steam forums is people complaining about it months ago with no apparent fix.

noeybys

Aug 8, 2020
Anyone have any experience with Radeon and Virtual Desktop on Quest 2?
I'm thinking of upgrading from gtx1080 to new high-end Radeon that'll be coming out soon.
I'd rather get a 3080, but where I live (Korea) it's even harder to get a 3080 than the rest of the world...

J.W.Crazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got one Friday night as an upgrade from my Rift CV1. Initially I was a little worried I'd made a mistake because the overall experience isn't all that different. I'd really like Oculus to put out more advanced controls. After a day or so with it the increase in clarity and almost complete elimination of screen door effect is very much welcome. If you really look you can see some tiny pixels but they're so small it doesn't give the same effect at all and it makes the whole image and world feel more immersive. I've had some trouble getting the link to work properly, keeps saying disconnected, showing a black screen, or just going back to quest without ever actually loading the rift version, but when it works it's a lot easier than setting up 3 sensors! I messed with Virtual desktop a bit but not enough to really get a feel for it but I've got this week off so I've got plenty of time to get it figured out.

All in all I'm happy with the Quest 2 as an upgrade from the Rift CV1. Especially because it means I can give my Rift to my brothers and hopefully get them into VR!

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
There are no offers on oculus quest store for games ? 29-39euros for some games like superhot vr at this point is....whatttt, specially for users like me that we already have that game on other VR platform.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
if anyone is having problems with halflife alex with the link cable, switch to d3d11 from vulkan. Vulkan has stuttering issues randomly ive found.

Aug 5, 2018
This is my first vr headset, and it's got me making an appointment to an eye doctor. I really don't think I'm seeing things as I should be, and think it might be my contacts.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't take Plex on your next trip. The reason to put it on the headset is to realize you can take that experience anywhere.

Oh I can run a LAN hotspot on my laptop. I can make a portable NAS on a Pi.

Skybox can read file shares, external media, etc.

There's a lot of ways to watch movies on a Quest without putting them on the local storage.

Some people buy the larger Quest for media storage but I don't see the point. It's bigger than I need for Quest games but much smaller than I need for media.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Just don't expect very large discounts. Especially the Oculus published/popular stuff. It's more in the line of Nintendo first party stuff. They stopped doing big cuts years ago.
Yeah, they stopped the heavy discounts once the Quest became a thing. Back in the days when it was only Oculus Rift, you would get deep discounted daily deals and a sale a couple times a year with huge discounts. Also, there would be heavily discounted multi-pack games. They still do the multi-pack game sale but now each game is barely discounted on the Quest....

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first vr headset, and it's got me making an appointment to an eye doctor. I really don't think I'm seeing things as I should be, and think it might be my contacts.

Sorry if this is obvious, but make sure to specifically ask for your IPD measurements, they may not do that if you're only going in for contacts. I had to go out of my way to ask for that information last time I went.

Edit: Beaten by previous post!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

There's a lot of ways to watch movies on a Quest without putting them on the local storage.

Some people buy the larger Quest for media storage but I don't see the point. It's bigger than I need for Quest games but much smaller than I need for media.

Skybox is excellent for this. Multiple ways to stream it to your headset.

I don't know if the Quest 2 is any faster, but it also drove me nuts the first time I tried loading media onto the Quest 1. It was so slow at writing. Then I discovered Skybox and that was the end of that.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So I just used an app to measure my IPD.... if my measurement was 65.5mm, and setting 2 is 63mm and setting 3 is 68mm, I guess I should put it halfway between the two?

Trying to get everything setup as much as I can before my headset arrives in 2 days :D

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So I just used an app to measure my IPD.... if my measurement was 65.5mm, and setting 2 is 63mm and setting 3 is 68mm, I guess I should put it halfway between the two?

Trying to get everything setup as much as I can before my headset arrives in 2 days :D

Experiment and use whatever looks/feels best. The point of IPD is to help you get your eyes directly in the center of both lenses. But how close/far your eyes get to the screen also influences this. Depending on your physical head shape, you can be closer or further away than the average user. And this definitely influences whether you're in the ideal sweet spot. A dial that could be moved while you're in VR was the ideal solution for this very reason.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Experiment and use whatever looks/feels best. The point of IPD is to help you get your eyes directly in the center of both lenses. But how close/far your eyes get to the screen also influences this. Depending on your physical head shape, you can be closer or further away than the average user. And this definitely influences whether you're in the ideal sweet spot. A dial that could be moved while you're in VR was the ideal solution for this very reason.
ah, k. Good to know.

I also had a mini freakout when I checked my ethernet speed and it was only 100mbps. Then I remembered I was using an ethernet hub which I didn't need anymore, so I plugged it directly in and now I'm hitting 1gbps. I think I'm as setup as I can get before the thing arrives now!

Aug 5, 2018
I'm around a 60-65 depending on which app I use 🙄 guess I should play with the settings more since the results are less than accurate

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
ah, k. Good to know.

I also had a mini freakout when I checked my ethernet speed and it was only 100mbps. Then I remembered I was using an ethernet hub which I didn't need anymore, so I plugged it directly in and now I'm hitting 1gbps. I think I'm as setup as I can get before the thing arrives now!

I should have also probably included non-symmetrical faces in my post. Because that's part of the issue too. Almost nobody is close to symmetrical. So it just becomes this delicate balancing act of finding what's right for the way your face is constructed. IPD is a good starting place, but it can easily shift a bit depending on the idiosyncrasies of your face and it's not bad to experiment a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

You made that far more complicated than the point being made was going for.

You can put several movies on ANY size of headset. And you can use it in places where you don't have a signal. Like a plane. Or staying at granny's hosue. You can do it without needing to have a hard drive tethered to you. You can do it without burning up your "unlimited" phone data plan, presuming it can even handle the stream if your signal isn't great. And you can do so at a file's native resolution and bitrate, without any additional hardware in tow. That. Was. The. Point.

Unlike you perhaps, most people do not need immediate access to a NAS worth of movies. Most people can figure out a few things they want to take with them for a trip and manage. The point was for those people.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trying to play Area X rez infinite through steam using a Quest 2, any reason why I get a black screen and then the game closes when I launch using Oculus VR Mode?

Note: this is not the native quest version, I'm using the steam version

Oct 25, 2017
Go in blind - download the oculus app which is needed for setup, then play the app they have when you start off - first steps, and there are some free demos too. Just do all that first and then come back here and tell us how you got on
Thanks!

So... well enough? Everything hooked up fine, though the image seemed a bit fuzzy in the middle until I actually started using apps.... does that make sense? Did not affect Beat Saber at all, but I figure there's something I can optimize to make this go away. I've tried adjusting the lenses, which did nothing, so not sure yet

- Not sure why, but I was under the impression that some games, such as Beat Saber, would be included with the Quest 2. Seeing that it would be $30 CAD and everything else was $20-30 was a bit sobering as I realized this experience was going to be even more expensive than I'd first thought. But hey.... no one's fault but my own.

- Tried setting it up so that I could just use my hands and it was a massive failure. Will try again some other time. Again, not sure what I did wrong.

- Navigating all of the menus will take some getting used to. Seems intuitive, but early on it's been a bit awkward. Hopeful that I'll be jumping around with ease soon enough, though

- Linking this to my Facebook account makes me a bit uncomfortable. I have one already, but I do very little on it to try and avoid offering them much data on me. But now? Oops. I guess they'll have my browsing data, too, if I get in the habit of using it

- Beat Saber is very cool. Exactly what I hoped for. I literally only tried one track, but any buyer's remorse washed away (at least for now!). Looking forward to trying this out with other people.

- Eventually I'll want to hook this up for SteamVR games like Alyx. Does everyone recommend the Oculus link cable or are there other perfectly adequate substitutes?

- NO IDEA what other games I might want to get, but for now I'll probably just enjoy Beat Saber. Lots of time to discover the rest of the library. Looks like some interesting new stuff coming out soon, too?