• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered on amazon lets hope they dont have a PS5 situation where emails get sent out with "sorry not enough stock"

I want to play asgards wrath so that means I have to get 256 version right?
It's a PC game. It's not available for Quest natively.
Not only is it not available for the quest natively it's a pretty demanding game. It's like 150gb on the hard drive and if you don't want your load times to be literal minutes you absolutely need to have it installed on a SSD.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
ooh that sucks you cant play asgards wrath native. thought you could due to it being shown on their quest website

remember being surprised I tghought that game was too demanding

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I forgot FB owns Oculus. I've wanted a Quest for awhile and was happily surprised to see Quest 2 this morning.

I guess I need to try to figure out if the games are worth the Zuckerberg for me.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
do people recommend what version to buy? will get PC link for asgards wrath so 64GB vs 256GB?

also is it expected to sell out? dont want a PS5 situation

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
do people recommend what version to buy? will get PC link for asgards wrath so 64GB vs 256GB?

also is it expected to sell out? dont want a PS5 situation
If you're using it mainly for PC link the 64GB one is fine. One podcaster said he fit about 13 games on the 64GB model before he started running low on space so if that's enough for you, then you'll be fine.

The 4 times as much storage jump was too much for me to resist so I went with the 256GB model. The upgraded head strap ($50) is almost a must buy from what I hear in reviews. It makes it drastically more comfortable and the included fabric strap gets very dingy.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Thank you both so much! Looks like I've got my lineup set now thanks to you two!

Lastly, are there rolling sales on the Oculus store? Have the games you recommended gone on sale ever, maybe even consistently? Thanks again!
Sales suck on the store. Some might go on sale for a bit. 20% at most. Beat Saber has never gone on sale tho.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
i want an humble bundle oculus sale, also, i already have some game on steam and i really dont want to rebuy on oculus

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sales suck on the store. Some might go on sale for a bit. 20% at most. Beat Saber has never gone on sale tho.
The cross buy (with the regular oculus store) games sometimes go on decent sales.
like keep talking and nobody explodes is sometimes getable for like $5 through humble bundle, I think star trek bridge crew is also that way.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
If you're using it mainly for PC link the 64GB one is fine. One podcaster said he fit about 13 games on the 64GB model before he started running low on space so if that's enough for you, then you'll be fine.

The 4 times as much storage jump was too much for me to resist so I went with the 256GB model. The upgraded head strap ($50) is almost a must buy from what I hear in reviews. It makes it drastically more comfortable and the included fabric strap gets very dingy.

ouch price rapidly increasing lol didnt know about strap and need the link cable

is PC link performance similar to having a rift? ie as accurate in its tracking versus rifts sensors placed around the room?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
ouch price rapidly increasing lol didnt know about strap and need the link cable

is PC link performance similar to having a rift? ie as accurate in its tracking versus rifts sensors placed around the room?
you could try without the strap first to see if it's comfortable enough, and you don't need the oculus brand link cable (at this time) i think they got it working with any usb 2.0 or higher cord at this point.

PC link performance is a bit lower than the rift, but down the line it might be better. As for tracking, the high end tracking with sensors around the room is better, but the quest tracking works really well in general, just with rare hickups here or there especially if you have your hands really close to your head for long periods of time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What I dont get is WHY Facebook is so intent on kneecapping itself with a 64GB Unit. It literally only works in their favour to have more storage since it will just incentivize people to buy from the Oculus Store so they can keep their games on unit 100% of the time. Really all they are doing by lowballing the storage is giving people a reason to get the link cable and play games from Steam
Because they had a goal of $299, whatever it takes, even if it means making the headstrap less comfortable. Also, currently 64GB is plenty as long as you aren't installing videos on the device, you can install quite a lot of apps in that 64GB before you have to delete one.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Because they had a goal of $299, whatever it takes, even if it means making the headstrap less comfortable. Also, currently 64GB is plenty as long as you aren't installing videos on the device, you can install quite a lot of apps in that 64GB before you have to delete one.

This. It's not a huge deal. I have plenty of space on my first gen Quest @ 64GB. Now, I know games will get bigger. But it's not going to be anything crazy I don't think. But I also have no desire to put videos on the thing, I typically stream them when I do watch em.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think i get where there line of thought was on cheapening out on the headstrap.

it only takes 5 minutes to wow someone with vr but an hour or so for the headstrap to feel uncomfortable. they're still focused on wowing people first and foremost. the price ensures a lot of early adopters buy it. the experience ensures that a lot of friends and family of the adopters try and and like it. once you've got them hooked they spend the extra 50 on the headstrap no problem.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
you could try without the strap first to see if it's comfortable enough, and you don't need the oculus brand link cable (at this time) i think they got it working with any usb 2.0 or higher cord at this point.

PC link performance is a bit lower than the rift, but down the line it might be better. As for tracking, the high end tracking with sensors around the room is better, but the quest tracking works really well in general, just with rare hickups here or there especially if you have your hands really close to your head for long periods of time.

oh wow thanks saved me a bit of money

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

8whk7l451bo51.jpg

" Source is this Oculus Tech talk for Developers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kwj-VX_Axo&feature=youtu.be

Quote 1:30 : "(Those gains are) Even after the increased eye buffer. (...) That means there will be plenty of additional performance for you apps."

What is the Eye Buffer: The eye buffer is what is given to the oculus compositor and eventually is what you see on the screen.

"

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I'm so pumped for the Quest 2. I've used the original HTV Vive at my job and I love it. Even mediocre games are just so much more fun in VR. I've been wanting my own VR headset for home but I have kept on delaying. Well, I had secured a much coveted PS5 preorder the other night and when I went to go to bed I had this sick feeling in my stomach. I was spending 500+ on something that I was not excited for at all for. Next day I cancelled the PS5 preorder and preordered a 256GB Quest 2 with the battery strap and case bundle and I instantly got way more excited with my expensive tech purchase. I have spent many hours since watching Youtube videos and listening to podcasts. I already have my preliminary wishlist and it's way longer than PS5 games I was interested in. I'm posting list below for anyone who is interested.

Arizona Sunshine
BeatSaber
Big Screen
Drop Dead Dual Strike
Echo VR
Elixir
Fisherman's Tale
Five Nights at Freddy's
Ghost Giant
I Expect You To Die
In Death: Unchained
Job Simulator
Journey of the Gods
Lies Beneath
Moss
Path of the Warrior
Pistol Whip
Real VR Fishing
Rec Room
VR Chat
Red Matter
Robo Recall Unplugged
Shadow Point
Space Pirate Trainer
Superhot
Tetris Effect
The Climb
The Room VR
Trover Saves the universe
Vacation Simulator
Vader Immortal
Walking Dead & Saints & Sinners
I have to asl you to look at Jet Island, it is one of my favourite VR games and I can thoroughly recommend it. Traversing that games world is damn fun

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Okay so I'm actually really excited for this. I've never had a VR headset before, but seeing as I'm also getting a PS5, I can't invest in too many games right now.

If you could recommend the best game from each category below, I'd be very appreciative!

1: The best story-driven experience

2: The experience with the most replay value and staying power

3: The best technical showcase in both gameplay and visuals irrespective of length

Thanks so much again!
1: I got to say Half-Life Alyx, I would say that game is stunning. Great story, great world design and simply a must-play
2: Personally I would say Beat Saber, that game always makes me come back for a few more rounds, though Gorn is also something I boot up again and again
3: That is a tough one though I would recommend something like Boneworks for the interactivity of its world.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
boneworks dev says rift titles in play as native quest 2 experiences with minor optimizations:

would be awesome if true. should mean boneworks gets ported at the very least.

Last edited:

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Is waiting for a 3rd party headstrap the way to go? I saw a reviewer say there was better options for quest 1 from 3rd parties

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
boneworks says dev rift titles in play as native quest 2 experiences with minor optimizations:

LOL No. GTX 970 was a ~4.5TF card in practice with 200+GB/s bandwidth. Assuming the XR2 has an Adreno 650 it's around 1.2TF with probably 30-40GB/s. It's an entire console generation behind the 2016 PC spec. CPU speed doesn't mean jack shit given the complexity limits of that GPU at relatively low frame rates (many games rely on Time/Space warp). That developer is full of shit IMO for marketing purposes. PC Boneworks is either comically unoptimized, or they're going to gut and bastardize the hell out of it to run on Quest. Echo Arena for example runs on Quest 1, but it has nothing in common with the PC game visually. Now there may be something to talk about if Oculus have implemented their AI upscaling to Quest 2, which would still be underwraps AFAIK.

Last edited:

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL No. GTX 970 was a ~4.5TF card in practice with 200+GB/s bandwidth. Assuming the XR2 has an Adreno 650 it's around 1.2TF with probably 30-40GB/s. It's an entire console generation behind the 2016 PC spec. CPU speed doesn't mean jack shit given the complexity limits of that GPU at relatively low frame rates (many games rely on Time/Space warp). That developer is full of shit IMO for marketing purposes. PC Boneworks is either comically unoptimized, or they're going to gut and bastardize the hell out of it to run on Quest. Echo Arena for example runs on Quest 1, but it has nothing in common with the PC game visually. Now there may be something to talk about if Oculus have implemented their AI upscaling to Quest 2, which would still be underwraps AFAIK.
graphics are more straight forward to scale down than game logic though. it's obviously far from a 970 but i get where he's coming from on the cpu and ram side.

Last edited:

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know what the sideloading capabilities of Quest 2 are? Like for example adding custom songs to Beat Saber. Is this something we just have to wait and see on launch?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Do we know what the sideloading capabilities of Quest 2 are? Like for example adding custom songs to Beat Saber. Is this something we just have to wait and see on launch?

On the review units they are identical to the Quest 1. But Facebook have said that it will require having a payment instrument on file in future.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
The price needed to be great for me to consider Facebook forced implementation, and that's low enough for me to roll with it. Wonder if PSVR2 will be comparable in a couple years

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I just found out that it won't be available in Germany at all due to some beef Facebook is having with the Federal Cartel Office. I decided to import it either from the UK, Austria or the Netherlands, but you have to do it from a retailer. If you change to another region in the Oculus store, add it to your basket and set "Shipping to Germany" it will automatically delete it from your basket...
Tried importing/ordering it from two retailers in Austria, but both times I got told they aren't allowed to sell it to me as there are no official plans for the Quest 2 to be distributed in Germany. Amazon UK same thing. Seems Facebook really put their foot down...

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Wow, 300 for that seems really cheap. Excited to see what Sony brings with the PSVR2 in 2 or 3 years.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Tried importing/ordering it from two retailers in Austria, but both times I got told they aren't allowed to sell it to me as there are no official plans for the Quest 2 to be distributed in Germany. Amazon UK same thing. Seems Facebook really put their foot down...
Wish the irish DPC would put their foot down for once

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Getting slightly impatient for mid October...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

The CPU comment was just as dumb. I'm quite certain that an XR2, running at half speed, isn't beating a i5 4590 at anything. Maybe there's a completely meaningless syntethic benchmark it can win at, but come on. Without looking anything up, it just seems absurd.

Oculus recommends not exceeding 50 - 100 draw calls on the Quest vs 500 - 1000 on Rift. That's like a 10X performance gap between Quest and min spec PC.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Walking Dead Saints & Sinners is one game I'm really excited for!

I'm glad that Jurassic Park & The Climb 2 are also being released for the holidays!

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
z_5f6230efa0da9.jpg

- Nearly 2K resolution per eye, over 50 percent more pixels than Quest
- 6GB memory with Snapdragon XR2 processor
- 10% lighter than Quest, smaller form factor
- New and improved Ergo controllers
- $100 cheaper than Quest
- 90hz
- Requires a Facebook account (real name too)

The price is good... but... but... FACEBOOK.

tenor.gif

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
boneworks dev says rift titles in play as native quest 2 experiences with minor optimizations:

In the original tweet thread, he clarifies that he's only talking about cpu and ram, since that's the only bit he cares about. He also says he was talking about 2016 Rift Titles, not 2020.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a really solid price. Making me consider building a new PC gaming rig more and more. Hmm....

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I would impulse buy one if it wasn't for the Facebook integration. I have a Rift S and the fact that I have to create a Facebook account in two years in order to continue using it makes me want to jump ship to another headset before that happens. I deleted my Facebook account for a reason.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Why do you need to get 256 for one game?

isnt that a pcvr game? you install it on the pc.

Someone told me earlier that it was PC only, I thought it was on quest because quest page on oculus website showed asgards wrath

So I dont need a 256. Since I have a lot of VR games though it would be useful as I believe a license for a rift game transfers to quest at no charge (where applicable)

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
64gb is enough for me but I don't mind redownloading stuff. We'll see how the timelines go. In 18 months we could be talking about a quest 3.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
that would be cool. VR has so much promise lets hope oculus keeps innovating and offering great prices given that in this space there is no competition (especially since facebook bought up all the good VR companies that could be bought)
There are multiple reasons we could get that far along in 5 years, the main one being eye tracking could greatly reduce the required specs to run asgard's wrath well. Beyond that mobile tech in general tends to catch up decently with consoles in 5 years (it won't be on par with a ps5, but could be closer to a ps4 pro at that time) and the final thing is if there is a breakthrough in battery tech that could lead to a huge increase in power for mobile chips and have them catch up must faster than expected.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
There are multiple reasons we could get that far along in 5 years, the main one being eye tracking could greatly reduce the required specs to run asgard's wrath well. Beyond that mobile tech in general tends to catch up decently with consoles in 5 years (it won't be on par with a ps5, but could be closer to a ps4 pro at that time) and the final thing is if there is a breakthrough in battery tech that could lead to a huge increase in power for mobile chips and have them catch up must faster than expected.

oh yeah definitely. it depends on their focus. for example do they want to target $200 to attract more potential people that are priced out.