• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
What would be a good third party cable to use Oculus Link? My PC unfortunately doesn't have any USB C slots but I hear you dont need to use the Oculus cable specifically for it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I would impulse buy one if it wasn't for the Facebook integration. I have a Rift S and the fact that I have to create a Facebook account in two years in order to continue using it makes me want to jump ship to another headset before that happens. I deleted my Facebook account for a reason.
You could create a brand new Facebook account and just never use it - once it's created and you set your privacy settings and tell it not to ever email you, never login to Facebook again. Now it's just a normal logon account like any other.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Since i bought my Oculus CV1 i've not really read what is going on with the new headseats so simple question :

Will the experience be much better going from a CV1 to an oculus quest 2 with Oculus Link ?

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Since i bought my Oculus CV1 i've not really read what is going on with the new headseats so simple question :

Will the experience be much better going from a CV1 to an oculus quest 2 with Oculus Link ?

The resolution bump will be definitely something that you'll immediately notice. Along with that, not having to worry about the sensors anymore is another boon.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018

When I tried the Quest with Oculus Link (Using my friend's Quest) I liked that I no longer needed to worry about my sensors, especially given I only have two CV1 sensors so basically a 180° field of view.

I personally bought the Quest 2 cause my CV1 isn't compatible with my laptop's HDMI port, hyped to be able to do VR on the go now.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
When I tried the Quest with Oculus Link (Using my friend's Quest) I liked that I no longer needed to worry about my sensors, especially given I only have two CV1 sensors so basically a 180° field of view.

I personally bought the Quest 2 cause my CV1 isn't compatible with my laptop's HDMI port, hyped to be able to do VR on the go now.
The resolution bump will be definitely something that you'll immediately notice. Along with that, not having to worry about the sensors anymore is another boon.

Thx guys, so there is no downside if i switch from CV1 to Quest 2 ?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

Resolution wise it will probably be sharper and screen door effect much more minimal, but the image will still be compressed and the latency will be worse. The CV1 is also lighter and has a decent headstrap, so the Quest 2 will be less comfortable unless you get the Elite strap for 50 bucks. Tracking will also be slightly worse on Quest 2, and you'll need your own headphones to match the sound. Even though the CV1 is a 4 year old device, it was a premium product on launch (600 bucks on launch without Touch controls, 200 dollars for Touch when they released) ; Oculus didn't cut corners in materials/quality the same way they're doing now. Granted, 4 years is a lot in VR time, so the tech is cheaper/better now, but there have clearly been a lot of corners cut on the Quest 2 to get the price so low. Same thing happened to the Rift S. And keep in mind that the XR2 processor and battery in the Quest 2 are extra costs as well. Oh and the CV1 is also OLED which has some pros and cons. Pros are better latency, arguably darker blacks and better colors, cons are less subpixels which makes the visible resolution difference even higher than the actual numbers suggest, so there is a huge gulf there. If Oculus can continue to cut the compression down the difference will be pretty big I think (in favor of the Quest 2, of course).

I would personally say that if you only care about Link and not standalone, it's questionable if it's worth it, especially since you don't need to link a FB account on your Rift until 2023. I also have a CV1, almost pulled the trigger myself but decided to wait. But my current PC also can't take advantage of resolutions much higher than the Rift, so maybe you'll see it differently.

Short answer is no, I don't think the experience will be that much better. Then again it's only 300 bucks.

Last edited:

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the input guys ! For now i think i will just wait a bit and see if i can improve my sensors placement with my current setup.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Yep looks good on the SDE front. Looking forward to watching movies in this thing. I'm coming from GearVR so I'm hoping to see some transformative differences. I mean that platform has been dead for ages. But some stuff still worked!

Edit - it's interesting that out of the box most applications won't be taking advantage of the extra resolution offered by the Quest2. Seems like only devs really invested in the ecosystem will make the change-up. That and the lack of 90Hz at launch make this feel a bit rushed. But it should mean improvements coming steadily over time.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
What's the consensus of going from psvr to quest 2. How big of a jump is the quality going to be in terms of screen quality and motion control?

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
What's the consensus of going from psvr to quest 2. How big of a jump is the quality going to be in terms of screen quality and motion control?

Quest has a higher resolution screen and dedicated controllers built for VR. It can also do hand tracking in some applications. PSVR has the better content library IMO. It feels more like PC VR than Quest does simply because it's running off a PS4.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Quest has a higher resolution screen and dedicated controllers built for VR. It can also do hand tracking in some applications. PSVR has the better content library IMO. It feels more like PC VR than Quest does simply because it's running off a PS4.
Oh no doubt about it...some of the psvr exclusives like astrobot, wipeout vr, blood & truth are out of this world. However the low res screen wonky motion controls really hamper my experience of vr in super hot and job simulator.

I'm just thinking whether should I go for quest 2 from a psvr user.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no doubt about it...some of the psvr exclusives like astrobot, wipeout vr, blood & truth are out of this world. However the low res screen wonky motion controls really hamper my experience of vr in super hot and job simulator.

I'm just thinking whether should I go for quest 2 from a psvr user.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. While Astrobot, Wipeout, and Firewall Zero Hour are still fantastic games, the poor tracking of PSVR and low resolution of the headset really hampers me from playing other games. Just that the caveat of upgrading means having to deal with Facebook.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
in terms of motion control it will be similar going from a wiimote to control games to psvr. the quest has vastly superior tracking and allows you to move more than like 70 degrees either way unlike PSVR which has the single camera for tracking.

also in quest 2 news
www.roadtovr.com

Unofficial Quest App Store 'SideQuest' Raises $650,000 From Oculus Founder & Others

SideQuest is an unofficial app store for Facebook’s Oculus Quest headset which offers an avenue for developers to distribute apps without being subject to Oculus’ approval process. The team behind the project has raised $650,000 in seed investment, including funding from departed Oculus founder...

sidequest just got 650k in funding, and is advancing towards becoming the official unofficial game store of the quest.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in terms of motion control it will be similar going from a wiimote to control games to psvr. the quest has vastly superior tracking and allows you to move more than like 70 degrees either way unlike PSVR which has the single camera for tracking.

also in quest 2 news
www.roadtovr.com

Unofficial Quest App Store 'SideQuest' Raises $650,000 From Oculus Founder & Others

SideQuest is an unofficial app store for Facebook’s Oculus Quest headset which offers an avenue for developers to distribute apps without being subject to Oculus’ approval process. The team behind the project has raised $650,000 in seed investment, including funding from departed Oculus founder...

sidequest just got 650k in funding, and is advancing towards becoming the official unofficial game store of the quest.
that's pretty awesome from palmer

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
developer of real VR fishing posted some comparison picks between quest 1 and 2 for their game

sqpekkgco2p51.png

bry0fudco2p51.png

iye1e4eco2p51.png