• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I recall reading you can easily fly under the radar.. until someone reports you. I actually experienced this with my first Facebook account where I used a realistic pseudonym, Facebook locked my account under suspicion and demanded I send them a photo of my ID to prove it was a real name and otherwise revoked access to my account.

At $300 I'm super interested, as an offline-only sideloading headset. Facebook mandate is such a shame.

My Facebook account has a grand total of 0 friends so I can't really be reported I guess, and a bazillion apps connected to it. I think I'll be safe.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's such a fascinating piece of hardware crippled by facebook. Incredible that they went full heel turn - it was expected but a few month back I was into the market of getting this. Now it's a pretty safe never.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
This is a weird take given the Quest is the single VR headset that's not standalone right now.

Not exactly what that means. I don't think it would be surprising to learn that Quest outsold or is at least on track to outsell most of the PC only headsets on the market. The only real competitors are Index, Rift S and HP Reverb G2 (too some extent).

Since the Quest 1 already runs PC games quite well through Link it makes sense for them to focus on a single headset to perform both tasks and let Valve come out with an Index 2.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How can these motherfuckers check it's my real name?
Why wouldn't you use your real name? Just use a different email account to sign up for Facebook, don't accept any friend requests on that account or ever sign into it again. If you do that it's not going to be tracking anything more than if you had an old Oculus account, which also required giving them your real name, address, phone number, credit card info. They don't say you have to sign into an *active* Facebook account or keep visiting it.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I kept going back and forth on which size to get but ended up with the 64gb model and the elite battery strap kit. It might be cheaper to just get the elite strap and a battery to add to it with velvro, but i do like the cleaner look. Next year, when they upgrade to 90hz on pc, i will upgrade my video card to a 3070. I hope they don't try to block virtual desktop if they arent giving us a wifi option.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I am very curious what it is about Quest and Quest 2 that doesn't let them run PC games natively via link. I can kind of understand Quest 1 since it wasn't really built for that, but with 2 officially replacing the Rift I don't get it.
They likely just haven't finished developing the software for it yet and for now are more focused on making sure there is a smooth launch rather than trying to perfect the link and or even wireless play.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I am very curious what it is about Quest and Quest 2 that doesn't let them run PC games natively via link. I can kind of understand Quest 1 since it wasn't really built for that, but with 2 officially replacing the Rift I don't get it.
My guess: they didn't want to create their own electronics, to save money they used everything off-the-shelf, and the XR-2 platform doesn't have straight video passthrough to treat the headset as a dumb display.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from PSVR it's looking like there are more social experiences on Occulus?

I feel these past years that Sony didn't do enough to create a VR hub/home space.

Anyone with knowledge of interesting stuff I could look into that is more about sharing with people, perhaps Netflix watchable in a theater setting (Hulu has had this on Psvr for awhile).

Thanks for any input!!!

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with knowledge of interesting stuff I could look into that is more about sharing with people, perhaps Netflix watchable in a theater setting (Hulu has had this on Psvr for awhile).
BigScreen is one to check out. Has a bunch of theater environments where you can watch movie rentals (in 3D is especially great in VR) or set up personal rooms where you can stream/play with friends.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see what comes out of Sidequest for this, I can see things like the Doom and Quake VR unofficial Quest releases getting a nice bump in quality on the Quest 2.

Also I might actually finally be able to enjoy watching 2d video content in VR now. I know its been discussed before for prior headsets but I'm curious what the perceived equivalent resolution for things watched in Bigscreen or the Prime Video theater will be. Maybe someone else can provide some insight based on the Quest 2's resolution.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see what comes out of Sidequest for this, I can see things like the Doom and Quake VR unofficial Quest releases getting a nice bump in quality on the Quest 2.

Also I might actually finally be able to enjoy watching 2d video content in VR now. I know its been discussed before for prior headsets but I'm curious what the perceived equivalent resolution for things watched in Bigscreen or the Prime Video theater will be. Maybe someone else can provide some insight based on the Quest 2's resolution.
It will be interesting to see if sidequest is even allowed to include stuff like Doom and Quake if they become an officially Oclus supported app, as odds are you won't be able to side load very easily in general with the quest 2 given that they really seem to want to crack down on stuff like beat saber custom songs.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see if sidequest is even allowed to include stuff like Doom and Quake if they become an officially Oclus supported app, as odds are you won't be able to side load very easily in general with the quest 2 given that they really seem to want to crack down on stuff like beat saber custom songs.

Yeah I really hope they don't kneecap Sidequest's model with Quest 2 that would be really unfortunate. Sidequest's CEO had this to say last week on the recent changes Oculus is making for authorizing dev accounts wrt sideloading, though Quest 2 may have stricter systems in place for allowing that,

uploadvr.com

Oculus Quest Sideloading To Require Giving Facebook Your Number Or Card Details

A new step is required to sideload content on the Oculus Quest standalone headset. The option to use “unknown sources” on Oculus Quest is gated behind ‘Developer Mode’. Currently, enabling developer mode for your account requires agreeing to the Oculus Developer Terms of Service. From October...

"It may seem like Oculus are adding extra steps, but with new distribution options around the corner the outlook looks good for users, developers, and all of SideQuest," SideQuest CEO Shane Harris wrote to me. "At SideQuest we have a 5 step process for users to sign up and get access to content. These steps make it harder for users to setup SideQuest which hurts the overall discoverability of content on the platform and sets a technical hurdle for users to overcome. Oculus have introduced 2 Factor Auth as a layer of security around Developer Accounts on the Oculus Developer Dashboard. This move makes sense as they are working towards opening up new distribution options on Oculus Quest, as stated by Chris Pruett earlier in the year. Oculus are making it possible to install apps without the use of sideloading which will remove the need for these setup steps completely likely along with other first party benefits for developers. We are excited to see how these changes improve the user experience and boost overall visibility and user engagement in content on SideQuest. Sideloading isn't going anywhere, its an essential part of the developer ecosystem as any developer or enterprise user knows. Facebook stated recently that sideloading will still be possible in 2023."

Hopefully something can be worked out to let it continue operating.

Swish

Banned
Jul 4, 2020
I wonder how much more technically intense the games will be.

I think Qualcomm claims this new chip has twice the cpu and gpu power of the 835 the one in Occulus. I just wonder what the implications will be for games.

There are lots of VR games not on Quest 1. There are obvious ones like HL Alyx. Would a gimped version of that now probably come out on Quest 2?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much more technically intense the games will be.

I think Qualcomm claims this new chip has twice the cpu and gpu power of the 835 the one in Occulus. I just wonder what the implications will be for games.

There are lots of VR games not on Quest 1. There are obvious ones like HL Alyx. Would a gimped version of that now probably come out on Quest 2?
unlikely as Valve likely wouldn't want to redesign the game just for the Quest.

that being said in general anything that can run on ps4 VR will likely be able to run on quest 2.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
thought about not going with any cordless headset til iteration 4 or thereabouts but I can't be arsed with anything with VR these days because of the 'hassle ' (first world problems I know)

this may be my last hope with VR ... going to be a lot of hard waffling over the next few months

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think it doubles the battery life. It is essentially 89 but they're only selling it in a kit with their case, for some reason. Maybe they will eventually sell it by itself.
that's seriously tempting...but my case use for needing it is really low. If I'm at home, I'm not playing anything physically-intensive for longer than the normal battery life provides. Any game I could play for longer than 2 hours is probably a full PCVR sit-down game and I'm wired up anyway.

Only time I would want that battery life is for extended flights where watching a couple of movies consecutively would be a thing. But even on a plane...I'm seated and could simply connect an external battery brick for a fraction of this price for probably even more battery life.

I think I'm just in for the deluxe strap. But we'll see.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
that's seriously tempting...but my case use for needing it is really low. If I'm at home, I'm not playing anything physically-intensive for longer than the normal battery life provides. Any game I could play for longer than 2 hours is probably a full PCVR sit-down game and I'm wired up anyway.

Only time I would want that battery life is for extended flights where watching a couple of movies consecutively would be a thing. But even on a plane...I'm seated and could simply connect an external battery brick for a fraction of this price for probably even more battery life.

yeah... if you are using it on a flight it would make more sense to just get a big ass external battery to run it the whole time.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I probably should do the same. I am not sure how much of a counterweight the battery in the elite strap really is. Is there any case besides the official announced to fit the quest with the elite strap? I dont want it collecting dust.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I went with the 64GB unit despite having gone with the 128GB Quest 1. I never even filled half of that storage up. Spending $50 on the halo strap was a lot easier to swallow knowing I was saving money on the unit too.

I'm fully expecting file sizes to go up a bit for games that are optimized for the Quest 2 but hopefully Oculus are working on maintaining saves for deleted games and I can shift things around if I ever start to run low on space.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I used a HTC Vive of some sort at an art gallery once and didn't really notice a screen door effect like with PSVR or Oculus Rift 1. Is this as good as that?

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Hum, I preordered a 256GB model with a Link cable, but I'm now debating whether I will actually need all that storage space or I should actually go for a 64GB model + battery strap + link cable?

My question for Quest 1 owners is, is 64GB already enough for an average player, considering I already played some VR games on PSVR and I will likely only double dip on Beat Saber? Also, is the headset so front-heavy that the battery strap would provide a relevant advantage in terms of comfort?

Will probably debate this for a couple more days lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hum, I preordered a 256GB model with a Link cable, but I'm now debating whether I will actually need all that storage space or I should actually go for a 64GB model + battery strap + link cable?

My question for Quest 1 owners is, is 64GB already enough for an average player, considering I already played some VR games on PSVR and I will likely only double dip on Beat Saber? Also, is the headset so front-heavy that the battery strap would provide a relevant advantage in terms of comfort?

Will probably debate this for a couple more days lol.
Beat saber is like a gig at most, super hot is like 1.5 gigs at most. I would have to look things up but at least with the quest 1 there aren't many games that exceed 2gb. I expect that to change with the more processing power of the quest 2, to the point where if you buy a lot of games you will likely have to cycle through them, but it shouldn't be a huge issue to go with 64gb, especially if you plan to mostly do pc gaming on it.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
As a new Quest 2 owner I'm looking forward to diving in. Just a bit apprehensive about the games. I am not a 'graphics-first' player but the Walking Dead Saints & Sinners comparisons I see don't look very favourable. A bit of extra geometry. A few texture changes. But everything still looks like a mobile game. We will see I guess as the platform develops. It does have the whiff of a PS4 pro mid-gen refresh about it however.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I used a HTC Vive of some sort at an art gallery once and didn't really notice a screen door effect like with PSVR or Oculus Rift 1. Is this as good as that?

I get what you're saying, because I remember looking at a Musuem app with the Vive and wondering where the SDE went, but even the original Quest was light years better in the screen door department. This is another massive jump beyond that. They're not even remotely comparable. Quest is just way better at SDE.

EDIT: I realize you may not having been talking about the Museum app and it's possible you were using a Vive Pro, but even if both of those were true, Quest 2 will have way less SDE than even that. Way more sub-pixels on this system.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question as I am trying to figure out if I should get the lower storage or grab the larger right away. I am looking at using the Quest 2 mainly as an art tool with Tilt Brush, Quill, Gravity Draw. Anyone using these programs now give me any advice. I am just unsure the file sizes of things being made and if I would need the larger storage for hold whatever I make, and not so much a ton of games. And things that are made while I am hooked up via Link would those things be able to just be saved to my pc I am hooked up to?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question as I am trying to figure out if I should get the lower storage or grab the larger right away. I am looking at using the Quest 2 mainly as an art tool with Tilt Brush, Quill, Gravity Draw. Anyone using these programs now give me any advice. I am just unsure the file sizes of things being made and if I would need the larger storage for hold whatever I make, and not so much a ton of games. And things that are made while I am hooked up via Link would those things be able to just be saved to my pc I am hooked up to?

If you're using a PCVR app (like Link requires), yes, those things will be stored on the PC. They're PC apps.

Can't really speak to the first part. But I would be positively shocked if those files weren't tiny.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I picked up one of these cause I love VR, and 300 is just impulse buy territory. What games are best to pick up if I have most everything on PCVR already?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Have a question on which version to get?

The only VR I currently have is the PSVR and I rarely use it because I hate being tethered to the system and you really can not move around freely in a 3D space with it, and so this new Quest 2 is quite intriguing to me, but I am not sure if I can get away with the 64gb version or if I should get the 256gb version? Aside from the bigger storage, the specs seem identical, so is it just a matter of space management if one goes with the 64gb version? How large are the file sizes for the games for Quest? Are they small 5-6gb games? Or do they get up there to double digit sizes?

Thanks for any info you can supply...

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I almost thought that was the elite battery pack, which would have auto made me cancel my 64gb/elite battery set on Amazon since it's the same exact price. I am still tempted.

I already have a Anker 10000 battery from my Quest 1, so I don't mind using that if need-be, but this saves me about $134 for nearly the same thing (without the case and halo strap with built-in battery).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Have a question on which version to get?

The only VR I currently have is the PSVR and I rarely use it because I hate being tethered to the system and you really can not move around freely in a 3D space with it, and so this new Quest 2 is quite intriguing to me, but I am not sure if I can get away with the 64gb version or if I should get the 256gb version? Aside from the bigger storage, the specs seem identical, so is it just a matter of space management if one goes with the 64gb version? How large are the file sizes for the games for Quest? Are they small 5-6gb games? Or do they get up there to double digit sizes?

Thanks for any info you can supply...

With the original, many were under 1GB. I had a 64GB original and had no hesitations pre-ordering the 64GB again. You can fit a lot of games on the system before you need to start deleting. As for videos, the SD card system is slow anyways. You're better off just streaming media content from your PC/server.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I already have a Anker 10000 battery from my Quest 1, so I don't mind using that if need-be, but this saves me about $134 for nearly the same thing (without the case and halo strap with built-in battery).

True. Costco return policy plus getting all those accessories for only $29 bucks (if you add it to the retail $399 for the 256gb) makes me tempted to just add a battery to it, if needed down the line. I do enjoy using my quest for exercise, so the fit accessories might be a nice add on. Okay, I am sold. I want a case for it but I guess I will wait for cheap third party cases that fit with the elite strap or at least a eye cover to stop it from collecting dust. I don't plan to bring it anywhere.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
What's the general consensus / concerns about this following the ars technica article a couple days ago? Are those concerns still warranted or have other opinions completely contradicted what was mentioned? Does anyone know how this will fare compared to the experience on PSVR?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
With the original, many were under 1GB. I had a 64GB original and had no hesitations pre-ordering the 64GB again. You can fit a lot of games on the system before you need to start deleting. As for videos, the SD card system is slow anyways. You're better off just streaming media content from your PC/server.

I am not sure I am going to stream videos on it, so that is not a concern. I also do not have a PC(mac user here), so the PCVR is not an option I Can take advantage of, unless this works with a mac...

I *may* go for the Costco deal since it seems like a pretty good deal as you are getting almost $100 worth of stuff for just $30.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure I am going to stream videos on it, so that is not a concern. I also do not have a PC(mac user here), so the PCVR is not an option I Can take advantage of, unless this works with a mac...

I *may* go for the Costco deal since it seems like a pretty good deal as you are getting almost $100 worth of stuff for just $30.

I just mean if you wanted to load a lot of movies on the system, that can take a lot of space. I personally think it's just more convenient to stream movies from your server than store them on the Quest.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
True. Costco return policy plus getting all those accessories for only $29 bucks (if you add it to the retail $399 for the 256gb) makes me tempted to just add a battery to it, if needed down the line. I do enjoy using my quest for exercise, so the fit accessories might be a nice add on. Okay, I am sold. I want a case for it but I guess I will wait for cheap third party cases that fit with the elite strap or at least a eye cover to stop it from collecting dust. I don't plan to bring it anywhere.

Yeah, I use my Quest a ton of exercise as well, so I am snagging the VR Cover separately from Oculus since that pleather makes a world of difference for comfort and being able to clean.

What's the general consensus / concerns about this following the ars technica article a couple days ago? Are those concerns still warranted or have other opinions completely contradicted what was mentioned? Does anyone know how this will fare compared to the experience on PSVR?

The article was a bit harsh, but some of it was warranted. The same battery life, the IPD change (which is the most concerning for me since I wear glasses, but don't use them in the current Quest due to scratching my left lens on before), and a few others are legit, but it was more harsh than it should have been IMO.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017

The article was a bit harsh, but some of it was warranted. The same battery life, the IPD change (which is the most concerning for me since I wear glasses, but don't use them in the current Quest due to scratching my left lens on before), and a few others are legit, but it was more harsh than it should have been IMO.

I wonder how the IPD change would affect someone like me who does wear his glasses when using PSVR as I need my glasses for distance, and so for me certain things in PSVR are a bit blurry, even when I am wearing my glasses, and that has two independent screens in it.

I think I may take a wait and see approach on the Quest 2 and read some more reviews on it before I take the plunge.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Beat saber is like a gig at most, super hot is like 1.5 gigs at most. I would have to look things up but at least with the quest 1 there aren't many games that exceed 2gb. I expect that to change with the more processing power of the quest 2, to the point where if you buy a lot of games you will likely have to cycle through them, but it shouldn't be a huge issue to go with 64gb, especially if you plan to mostly do pc gaming on it.
Thank you! Yeah I can see myself using PCVR more over time, and I don't mind cycling the games if need be.
I may just switch and get the 64 + battery pack then. Will take the day to think about it lol

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
UK got shafted on the price as is typical for most tech products I thought things would change with the series s pricing.

The series s is also $299 but £250 in the UK. Meanwhile the quest 2 is £300.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The native quest versions of Tilt Brush and Gravity Draw (Sketch?) both have support for saving/exporting your work to the cloud.