• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Does this mean we can expect a part 2?
Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

Is he pinching a loaf right there?

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
I'm not sure what should be done, but personally if we're leaving it up to a literal senior citizen at would-be age 82 to run this sinking ship, I remain pretty hopeless.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Biden want to do a second term? He honestly might not and as for other candidates, it's sort of self fulfilling as the name becomes public consciousness so I don't think it's that big a deal if a new person gets the ticket and if it is Trump or that Florida scumbag in the other side, how is it any less of an easier choice to not vote Republican. I can't get my head around that, vote Dems to stop the end of the US, hello.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a lot of this is driven by Dem operatives who think their candidate from 2020 would've been able to win if not for Sanders or the pandemic. I still don't think Klobachar, Harris, or Buttigeg is a better choice than Biden though,

Oct 25, 2017
There are three living former presidential candidates in good health that substantially overperformed the general Republican-lean of their respective elections by having a significantly smaller/better PV margin compared to the House PV margins of the same election.

I'm only semi-joking here, but I disagree on "weak" and "strong" candidates. You have to correct for the cycle they ran in. If Biden dies and Kamala is sitting president, she'll get the nomination after some consternation (like the Ford vs. Reagan primary), but in an open primary when Biden just decides not to run, there's a lot of "old captains" that could come out of retirement for the uphill battle. Hard to imagine an up and comer wanting to throw themselves into the shitshow in the nightmare world where Biden just doesn't run.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
If there were a surging, charismatic figure to rally behind, I'd say yes, but there isn't.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I think the word you are looking for is 'greed'.
every country has greed. The US is a country with legalized bribery by way of unlimited campaign contributions to politicians even from corporations themselves. Until we change that, this country will be an oligarchy and wealth inequality will increase at record levels and in so doing, exacerbate societal ills.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
That there are no other candidates people can even think of to run instead of Biden showcases the Democratic party's failure to cultivate talent and popularity

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just torn, because I think we are fucked in 2024 regardless, so its between just trotting Biden out there and let him get his big expected referendum (Kamala Harris might even faire worst than Biden as a 2nd option), or try with someone new, but just reading "the room" (aka the general USA electorate) its most likely going to be DeSantis or Trump as President in 2024.

I probably wouldn't waste any promising young Dems on our country in 2024 as the climate won't be right for them. Their best bet would be getting in on another GOP referendum in 2028 (because they never got any good ideas for the country and always fuck everything up in short order.

And honestly, I think the timeline of Biden somehow winning 2024 (probably only chance is if GOP does trot Trump out there again) is almost as worse, because he will continue to be ineffective, have a congress fully skewed to the GOP blocking everything and then it will for sure be 4-8 years of GOP control after that. Probably better to just take the 2024-2028 loss and then ride a possible blue wave in 2028.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just torn, because I think we are fucked in 2024 regardless, so its between just trotting Biden out there and let him get his big expected referendum (Kamala Harris might even faire worst than Biden as a 2nd option), or try with someone new, but just reading "the room" (aka the general USA electorate) its most likely going to be DeSantis or Trump as President in 2024.

I probably wouldn't waste any promising young Dems on our country in 2024 as the climate won't be right for them. Their best bet would be getting in on another GOP referendum in 2028 (because they never got any good ideas for the country and always fuck everything up in short order.

And honestly, I think the timeline of Biden somehow winning 2024 (probably only chance is if GOP does trot Trump out there again) is almost as worse, because he will continue to be ineffective, have a congress fully skewed to the GOP blocking everything and then it will for sure be 4-8 years of GOP control after that. Probably better to just take the 2024-2028 loss and then ride a possible blue wave in 2028.

After redistricting, the House only barely has a systematic R skew. The Senate classing is too erratic to predict with confidence, and presidential appointments matter a ton. The NLRB has had a huge impact, judicial appointments matters, the justice department matters, and regulatory departments matter.

On top of that, Biden had actually been really goddamn great in getting the world to have a unified front on Ukraine. Turns out decades on the Foreign Relations Committee actually teach a person a lot about pressure and diplomacy?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

if desantis wins he'll do the full 8 years. incumbents have a huge advantage. trump would have cruised back to the white house if a once in a century pandemic wasn't killing americans by the hundreds of thousands.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

What you say rings true, but it's still utterly baffling to me as a non US citizen to witness this back and forth pendulum swing of 4 years dems vs 4 years rep. as though it's something totally "normal" and accepted by now. I mean...how is it NOT absolutely WILD that a country can just have no clear direction at all of what it wants going into the future, and simply tends to vote for the EXACT opposite of overall policies and voting points every couple years?
I am aware that other countries have similar dynamics going on now and this is a global phenomenon, but the US just seems to be the poster boy for this type of behavior it seems. There are just SO many global, historically unprecedented issues to tackle, and the electorate can't even agree on the most BASIC shit here, the fact that the party that promotes a descent into madness is even still an option on the voting ballot is mindblowing, nevermind the fact that they keep winning every couple years on the regular.

Genesis

Oct 27, 2017
The problems with this country is dark money. Biden had an agenda and two senators fuck it up because of dark money.
And Biden is completely against doing anything about it, bought and paid for.
He will never leverage the pitiful remaining power he might have.

lol whispers, they should be screaming it through a megaphone.

Oct 25, 2017
And Biden is completely against doing anything about it, bought and paid for.
He will never leverage the pitiful remaining power he might have.

lol whispers, they should be screaming it through a megaphone.

Please, go on about what you think a president can do about Citizens United. This unambiguously needs a constitutional amendment or a 5-4 liberal court, which are decades away at best.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Would any other democratic candidate have a better chance of beating whichever republicans candidate is running?
lolno. Biden is fucked, but so is every other potential candidate. But if democrats are ticked that they can't do fulfil their agenda they need to stop looking for a sacrificial leader and start looking in a mirror instead. Republicans are pieces of shit who will block anything and everything they do. So Democrats need to get their heads out of their own asses and cooperate with eachother for a change. They need to boot and replace the disidents and get to work actually and cooperate to actually pass shit.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're screwed for the 2022 elections but I'm sorta scratching my head about the assumption that we're all screwed for 2024? We're about 18 months away from that election cycle and all kinds of things can happen in the meantime.

I imagine a lot of this inflation will have slowed down by then and shortages will have alleviated. I don't even expect the Ukraine war to be going in 2024.

Real estate prices will probably remain fucked for a while though.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
They pushed Biden on us and now they want to get rid of him because he's not giving them enough attention like Trump

Eh, the media had totally written Biden off by February 2020 and was priming for a Trump/Sanders or Warren race. Biden wasn't even considered a contender anymore. I mean, the New York Times endorsed Warren and Klobuchar. It's an indictment of how bad political punditry is that they whiffed on the pulse of the electorate two presidential elections in a row. I read these same articles about Biden being done is 2019 and now he's the president. Nobody knows anything.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I mean tbh my thinking is that if Dems put up an alternate candidate and lose we all know the blame is gonna fall on progressives/Bernie bros/defund the police/BLM that we lost and that'll be another blow establishment will use against us.

Whereas if Biden runs and loses blame falls on him and establishment in that way.

So nah, stand on your shit Joe, you can take that hit if it comes to it

The added fact too is I think he has the better shot of winning so there's that too

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I mean tbh my thinking is that if Dems put up an alternate candidate and lose we all know the blame is gonna fall on progressives/Bernie bros/defund the police/BLM that we lost and that'll be another blow establishment will use against us.

Whereas if Biden runs and loses blame falls on him and establishment in that way.

So nah, stand on your shit Joe, you can take that hit if it comes to it

The added fact too is I think he has the better shot of winning so there's that too

They'll still find a way to blame progressives. They always do.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the media had totally written Biden off by February 2020 and was priming for a Trump/Sanders or Warren race. Biden wasn't even considered a contender anymore. I mean, the New York Times endorsed Warren and Klobuchar. It's an indictment of how bad political punditry is that they whiffed on the pulse of the electorate two presidential elections in a row. I read these same articles about Biden being done is 2019 and now he's the president. Nobody knows anything.

If only they looked at any of the polling from 2019. Trying to draw conclusions from 2 caucuses + NH (in a crowded field) is borderline malpractice.

When MeToo happened I thought Biden was done due him being really touchy at best, but once he spent the entirety of 2019 in a dominant position it was crazy to think he wasn't a contender. Everybody knew the opening schedule sucked for him but he still stumbled into Super Tuesday with the most votes.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This is a consultant driven article by people who largely have a vested interest in seeing a dem primary.

He has 82% approval with dems if he wants renomination he'll get it.

These articles and largely media driven gossip pieces are so tiresome because they get news shows to talk about this rather than report on things like congresses inaction, actual policies being passed, court wins and losses, etc. that's why people thing the president have giant misunderstandings of how politics works

Ding ding ding.

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, he should continue to be silent and do nothing.

"Internet user that has no idea what a president is or does doesn't like what president is doing in role"

You should get angry at the people actually preventing the things you want to get done rather than blaming the wrong people and getting angry over imagined failings. Biden's appointments and international diplomacy to hold the line on Ukraine are the types of things the presidency can actually control that he's done a pretty good job on. The new wave of unionization has been enabled by his appointments to the NLRB.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Yes, I would prefer anyone but Biden be nominated. It's actually OK to hope for something better than what we have. I can't wait until the person who reacted to the George Floyd verdict by touting calls to increase funding to the police, the awful human who continues to restrict our immigration system, who hasn't made any meaningful change to ICE, and who hasn't been able to pass a single significant piece of legislation to help anyone, is gone.

Most thinking people are working to achieve another result, because a better future is possible.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
"Internet user that has no idea what a president is or does doesn't like what president is doing in role"

You should get angry at the people actually preventing the things you want to get done rather than blaming the wrong people and getting angry over imagined failings. Biden's appointments and international diplomacy to hold the line on Ukraine are the types of things the presidency can actually control that he's done a pretty good job on. The new wave of unionization has been enabled by his appointments to the NLRB.
Tbh there's not really any point in getting angry at those people either bc the average citizen can't do anything about a Supreme Court or creating a new constitutional amendment

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
"It doesn't matter that he can't do anything, he should do something!"

It's like the other side of the coin re: those stupid "I did that" Biden stickers.

Not trying to add to a dogpile or anything, but I think it's becoming clear to me now that one of the reasons the Left is failing at the local elections levels is that so many of us place waaaaaaaay too much importance and perceived power on POTUS and little else. This is just maybe a more specific and granular look at the "the right all fall in line and vote, the left doesn't" phenomenon and I think it's worth a (yet another) reminder to us all to brush up on how the government works, and get more informed/involved with things at the local/county/state/congressional levels. That doesn't solve the problem of instances where there simply are no good candidates running, but at very least it can stop some of the bleeding- ie: Cisneros vs Cuellar.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact we even have to ascertain the possibility that Dems are screwed for 2022 makes my head hurt. Who the fuck decides to vote Republican or refrain from voting when being bombarded day in and out with the sexist, racist, evil that is the GOP?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The fact we even have to ascertain the possibility that Dems are screwed for 2022 makes my head hurt. Who the fuck decides to vote Republican or refrain from voting when being bombarded day in and out with the sexist, racist, evil that is the GOP?

Moderates that tune it out and only look at surface level stuff they barely understand, like gas prices and speech impediments. :/

Personal anecdote, for sure, but it's been so depressing to see so many formerly-Dem-voting folks in my circles and adjacent circles simply opt-out of voting once Trump got elected. And they just use a generic "it doesn't matter, they're all the same" when asked why they don't vote or at least don't go vote for Dems. Then they just go back to videogames and social media and live a virtually-isolated life "away" from the world's problems. AT BEST they're all painfully uninformed, and I think our society does a bang up job making sure of that. At worst, they believe the world/country is already doomed and there's nothing that can be done about it, so why do anything except enjoy what life you have left.

I think the fear for 2022/2024 is that all of the D's that always vote D are always coming out and voting (same with the GOP), but the group that's "decided" the last 2 presidential elections were moderates, and they only (barely) put Biden in office because 4 years of Trump grossed them out. If they're easily swayed then a bunch of nonsense, propaganda, and shifty tactics from the right could easily swing them back over- or at least enough of them to give the right the win. It's likely an easier pill for them to swallow to vote for the right in non-POTUS elections but with Trump intending on running for office again that's more questionable.

And on top of all of this- this is all just how I personally have perceived things based on the information and news I personally am exposed to, and through discussions on here with you guys. I could be way off base for all I know, which I don't. I hope I'm wrong and I hope things are solid for keeping the fascism at bay.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
So many are now swayed by memes or sock puppets, and have little to no idea of what is actually behind an issue.

And that reflects on how they vote.

And that's not good for the rest of us.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

There's a long lauded truism that is definitely going to come into play in 2022. "It's the economy, stupid." A lot of people are only progressive or empathetic to the sufferers of bigotry up to the point that they themselves are suffering (financially). And no matter how easily we can point to Republicans voting against price gouging bills for instance, at the end of the day for most people the buck stops with the party in power, especially the presidency.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
After redistricting, the House only barely has a systematic R skew. The Senate classing is too erratic to predict with confidence, and presidential appointments matter a ton. The NLRB has had a huge impact, judicial appointments matters, the justice department matters, and regulatory departments matter.

On top of that, Biden had actually been really goddamn great in getting the world to have a unified front on Ukraine. Turns out decades on the Foreign Relations Committee actually teach a person a lot about pressure and diplomacy?

This is false. After the Hochulmander was overturned and the DeSantismander was upheld, the house is now slightly MORE biased toward the GOP.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is a tough one because although it's ridiculous to replace him as the candidate for 2024 I also think his chances of winning in 2024 are extreme low. So I can see why there would be people wanting someone else to run. From their perspective I suppose they think Dem chances couldn't get any worse.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
If Biden is the best the Democrats have lord help us all. How has politics led us to this.

Dec 19, 2021
2024 will be interesting it could be the first time in history two candidates are older than the typical life expectancy in the United States.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is a tough one because although it's ridiculous to replace him as the candidate for 2024 I also think his chances of winning in 2024 are extreme low. So I can see why there would be people wanting someone else to run. From their perspective I suppose they think Dem chances couldn't get any worse.
Again, the chance of any other Dem actually winning would almost undeniably be worse.

But if you think Biden is going to lose, some might be able to find a personal benefit by replacing him.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Biden's approval ratings are worse than Trump's ratings two years into his presidency yes there's an incumbent bump, yes Manchin sucks, yes Putin and Covid have fucked the economy well beyond the US.

But right now as it stands Biden would get his ass handed to him in a national election. And that's not even counting whatever suppression tactics Republicans use. Pretending his perception is anything else is burying your head in the sand and I'm afraid that's what Dem leadership would rather do.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Biden does not even begin to identify the issues I have with the democratic party. Replacing him would do nothing.