• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming there's actually a real push for this and not just NYT making drama, I still don't see Biden stepping aside because he's generally kinda stubborn.

For 2028 though, this article inspired me to look at the current Dem Governnors and Senators and it seems like pretty slim pickings when it comes to people who aren't old, shitty, or who already ran unsuccessful primary campaigns. Who the hell else is there that could possibly run? I'd rather all the randos from the 2020 primaries stay away except for Casto and maybe Beto.
Mark Kelly is a fuckin' shoe in. Astronaut, hero, husband to Gabby Giffords, from Arizona. The DNC would be fools not to support his run for president.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like if Biden's not gonna run, it has to be Kamala or the entire party is in even worse disarray than we thought. And I don't think Harris can win a general. I'd give even less of a chance to Bernie or AOC in 2024.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean we can expect a part 2?
Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg
100% yes.

Midterms are gonna be a key sign where things go.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Kelly is a fuckin' shoe in. Astronaut, hero, husband to Gabby Giffords, from Arizona. The DNC would be fools not to support his run for president.

There is also Whitmer who would be a strong candidate I feel.

100% yes.

Midterms are gonna be a key sign where things go.

No they won't. There are only a handful of Midterms where the party that was in control of the government did not lose. Dems losing in the midterms is not going to be a sign of anything but the party in control suffered a defeat during the midterms.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
NYT… *sigh*

Running someone against Biden makes no sense. Either shit recovers, and the incumbency bias helps him win, or shit is so bad that no Democrat will win.
exactly my thoughts.

If Biden with the incumbency bias advantage can't win, shit will be so bad I don't think ANY Democrat will win in 2024.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ok let's break this down

In interviews, dozens of frustrated Democratic officials, members of Congress and voters expressed doubts about the president's ability to rescue his reeling party and take the fight to Republicans.

This is guaranteed less than 50 because if it was over 50 they'd say 50

Several paragraphs later

Interviews with nearly 50 Democratic officials, from county leaders to members of Congress, as well as with disappointed voters who backed Mr. Biden in 2020, reveal a party alarmed about Republicans' rising strength and extraordinarily pessimistic about an immediate path forward.

So there it is, and it's even funnier because under 50 isn't just number of concerned interviewees, but the total number of people interviewed.

So ok this means to me likely one of two things.

1. This was specifically a targeted interview session aka they're literally only looking to find and talk to people who want Biden gone.

Which would be textbook narrative creation.

2. They spoke to 50 and some, an unknown number are frustrated, this doesn't fit though with the article subtitle that dozens are doubtful because that would mean by magic that they interviewed just the right people that they all just happened to be doubtful.

Furthermore... to reach this number of dozens they had to reach all the way out to voters.

Do you know how easy it is to juice a stat line of doubtful people by asking voters... literally could just throw the lot of doubtful people in this thread and voila.

Like this is literally the NYT trying to create momentum for a feeling.

They couldn't even get dozens of Democrat operatives and elected officials so they had to to juice the numbers by adding an undefined number of voters.

We'd be mocking this if the NYT tried to pass of that they're are concerning whispers in the Republican party that Donald Trump shouldn't run.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what they're fucked. It's just a matter of coming up with the scapegoat.

Maybe Bernie or one of the squad will do something that will give enough evidence to say they undermined 33% Approval Joe Biden.

The reality is this country is fucked and Joe Biden has been a horrible President. It's all downhill from here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
This ain't it. If we would have secured some of those senate seats that everyone thought we were going to, things would be much different
The numbers wouldn't have changed the results. Obama had a much larger majority and a mandate at the polls.

Joe Manchin and Kristin Sinema are the figure heads, but there are more Dems out there ready to take on that role to block anything good from happening.

There is no voting us out of this mess. The best we can hope for are executive orders that get shot down by the Conservative Courts in the United States. The Senate has no desire to do anything good for the American people and it's going Republican in 2022 along with the House.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that the most likely scenario for the 2024 presidential race will be between a guy who will be 81 and a guy who will be 78. And the other candidate that seems to get floated the most outside of those two will be 83.

Maybe at some point Americans will be able to see something other than old white men as "viable" outside of the occasional younger candidate.

Oct 25, 2017
I really really hate that so much of the world has to rely on to what degree will predominately white morons in rural parts of America be racist pricks for our collective future. And that your moronic system of government is built to allow literally one or two out of hundreds of millions to just block any progress. And that your Justice system is a fucking sham and lets it all happen.

It's infuriating and I just loathe your country more every year. And even worse is we'll probably get there soon enough because our assholes have learned all the lessons from (and are getting funded by) your assholes.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I think people are underrating the Democrats options a bit. Whitmer isn't an awful option. JB Pritzker would be another strong candidate who I think would actually do really well against Trump

less

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this. It would be very silly to give up an advantage unless something major happens with Biden

Health concerns are the only potential issue with Biden and yeah...that is a concern but I'm hopeful about him being fine.

I think people are underrating the Democrats options a bit. Whitmer isn't an awful option. JB Pritzker would be another strong candidate who I think would actually do really well against Trump

JB Pritzlker can go the "I'm a more successful billionaire!" play against Trump.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
JB Pritzlker can go the "I'm a more successful billionaire!" play against Trump.

Sure. He also connects strongly with voters, speaks plainly in a way that works very well, and has pushed some strong policies in Illinois. I was VERY nervous about the billionaire with no political experience when he won his primary in Illinois. He won me over though and I know a lot of others he did the same for. I think he can also trade barbs with Trump, something few of the Democrats can manage. Plus, ya, his business experience and success will play well with middle America.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Whitmer is great, thing is though the Dems would look awful if Biden chose to not run and his picked running mate also didn't run, it would just look like they were trying to get out of Dodge.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I could see it happening I guess, but

In 2022, Kelly was one of two Democrats to join Republicans in voting for a measure to block use of a presidential climate emergency declaration to accelerate climate efforts. In 2022, Kelly also advocated for an expansion of oil drilling in the wake of rising gas prices.
that's gonna be a yikes from me

Edit: wait, this guy was also against Biden's reversal of Title 42? And he helped Sinema and Manchin shoot down Biden's Labor nominee??? This dude need to stay the fuck in Arizona, the idea of running someone more conservative than Biden on climate and labor issues is unacceptable

Last edited:

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Whitmer is great, thing is though the Dems would look awful if Biden chose to not run and his picked running mate also didn't run, it would just look like they were trying to get out of Dodge.

Bidens approval is okay among Dems but not against independents who we have to win over. Those voters are no more positive on Harris. If Biden doesn't run, I think there might be some value in just wiping things clean and doing just that, getting out of Dodge. Even being pretty open about that. Things haven't been great over the last few years, were going a different route. It possibly even steals the "change" messaging away from the Republicans

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Bidens approval is okay among Dems but not against independents who we have to win over. Those voters are no more positive on Harris. If Biden doesn't run, I think there might be some value in just wiping things clean and doing just that, getting out of Dodge. Even being pretty open about that. Things haven't been great over the last few years, were going a different route. It possibly even steals the "change" messaging away from the Republicans
That's fair, but do you think that maybe cutting and running would be enough of a talking point to get independents to stay away from the polls, or even to vote for Trump again as a "fuck it might as well" vote?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Trump gets indicted for one of the bazillion crimes he is being investigated for in late 2022/2023 with a trial in 2024
Ron DeSantis makes a backdoor deal, he'll pardon Trump if Trump fully and unequivocally endorses DeSantis

Ron DeSantis cruises to a victory on a platform of anti-CRT school teaching, anti-LGBT school teaching, anti-trans legislative passage promises, big tax cuts, nationwide federal abortion ban, re-arm the police, strong anti-immigration legislation, re-implementation of stuff like Keystone Pipeline and federal oil and gas drilling with a promise of $3 gas prices within 6 months of his presidency. Probably goes on to something like Obama's 2008 365 - 173 electoral college win.

I could see it happening more likely than Biden winning if gas prices and inflation are still crushing middle class Americans. The 2022 midterms this Nov will be a big predictor of what 2024 looks like.

I think ironically the thing that made Biden a safe 2020 bet, "he's not crazy like Trump", will be his downfall in 2024 if its "We need someone to break through a government that does nothing".

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
There is just no good outcome for dems if Biden doesn't run with Harris for re-election imo.

The talk in here about the possible rising stars in the dem party is pretty much all 2028 and beyond talk. Biden stepping down would be a disaster. Biden getting primaried would be a disaster. That's why the dem bench is stuck right now.

The next successful dem presidential candidate has yet to run a national campaign imo. And there are some good politicians on that bench with different cases that can be made for each. If you just look at the same group of unsuccessful candidates that have tried to create a national profile lately, yeah. Not great with a few exceptions.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
That's fair, but do you think that maybe cutting and running would be enough of a talking point to get independents to stay away from the polls, or even to vote for Trump again as a "fuck it might as well" vote?

Could definitely backfire, but I think Harris is a disaster at the top of the ticket. She's not only not particularly well liked, the only time she's made news even as Vice President is when she's put her foot in her mouth. She really has nothing to hang her hat on and say this is why my experience as Vice President is valuable.

I think if you're cutting and running, the candidate you pick is very important. Thats why I like Pritzker. His business experience and frankly being rich play well in that scenario. He can argue that he brings a lot of the things independents might like in Trump without the things they don't. I think a Pritzker/Whitmer ticket would not only be appealing to a lot of independents, but it would have a lot of pull in the Midwest which is increasingly THE battleground Democrats need to win in.

Pritzker is far from my dream candidate but he's my favorite I think can actually win in this environment.

Unless things get worse though or we get REALLY shellacked in the midterms though I still prefer Biden run again.. I don't think him not running would be hopeless though with the right candidate and messaging.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it happening I guess, but

that's gonna be a yikes from me

Edit: wait, this guy was also against Biden's reversal of Title 42? And he helped Sinema and Manchin shoot down Biden's Labor nominee??? This dude need to stay the fuck in Arizona, the idea of running someone more conservative than Biden on climate and labor issues is unacceptable

Let me tell you about a pro-fracking candidate named Fetterman and the magical Electoral College.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, they been whispering no for a while now since the election, i'm not sure if i believe they're rising or just becoming more insistently desperate.

desperation is fine with me if it spurs action, i guess. if they're just passively hoping he'll passively get their vibe and give up the ghost..i guess they can keep whispering.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Y'all should've voted for Hillary Clinton.

I mean, 3 million more of us voted for her than the Cheeto, but that doesn't mean anything here.

As for the article- any Dem strategist or party member who doesn't think Biden should run in '24 should be stripped of any decision-making ability related to the campaign. He's the only chance they have of keeping the White House.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Barring any health related issues, Biden should and is going to be the nominee. Dems have literally no one else unless an '08 Obama type figure appears out of nowhere

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
The democratic leadership is extremely fickle and dumb. Biden got on the ground running and turned around the govt's entire approach to the covid epidemic. He put together a team of actual scientists and academics and didn't try to backstab and impede them every step of the way. He honestly did an amazing job there.

He also did an incredible job leading all of our European allies to confront the menace of Putin in Ukraine.

His domestic agendas ran into the same roadblocks that any democratic president would have run into. Namely an obstructionist Republican Party.

He's come out extremely vocally in favor of gun control, something that the majority of Americans actually want. He's had lots of smaller successes which help the common American. Dems should be focusing on all of that instead of freaking out.

I mean just look at how solidly almost everyone in the Republican Party supported and defended a complete shit bag president like Trump! Even Bish jr before that. And here we have democrats badmouthing a president whose had zero scandals who took office during an epidemic from a president who attempted a fucking coup! These fools need to grow some balls.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
"Start" to rise?

If by start they're referring to the line the media's been pushing about Biden not running for a second term since before he was elected.

This article is a joke.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They can whisper no all they want, anyone with half a brain knows he's the only one who might keep Trump out of the White House. You can put Harris forward, bring back Hillary Clinton, throw Sanders in there or maybe make a weird move like throwing Michelle Obama in there, all of them are basically guaranteed losses.
The only play the democracts have is hoping incumbency wins Biden a second term.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Please don't run with an 80 year old candidate if you want people more optimistic about the future and young voters to be motivated

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
a biden vs trump rematch would be depressing as hell, and would probably result in a second Trump term at this point