• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue that having dozens of prominent members claim Etika was just wanting attention in his posts about suicide and not having anything literally any action done about them is more of a disservice to the community.

It speaks to a bigger problem about how people perceive mental illness, and how the moderation team failed to bring about civility and educate people. There is a discussion to be had, but just conflating a group of people is doing something similar to what other folks did when seeing Etika's behaviour. Except that you're talking to a small pool of people in a group that is much larger.

It's fruitless and overall an aimless jab without any kind of productivity linked to it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is my biggest issue with this community. There is no forgiveness or benefit of the doubt (when applicable). Someone says X, And the community immediately damns them to hell. Now...its backfired.

Sometimes the best way to approach certain behavior, is with love in your hearts. Not anger and outrage.
this. I completely agree. It's fantastic to condemn bigotry, but we need to sometimes examine the situation and consider if there's another possibility, another reason as to why someone did something shitty. We don't need to immediately "cancel" someone while ignoring what that person is going through. "Cancelling" pewdiepie because he consistently says slurs and promotes Nazi culture is one thing. "Cancelling" someone who is visibly mentally ill because he said the f-word during a mental breakdown... with years of LGTB-friendly attitude prior to that... That's something I can't understand. We really need to do better than this.

vahlorie

Oct 26, 2017
RIP. Another victim of the shameful state of mental health care atm. Etika's enthusiasm for video games is something that will be greatly missed.

I'd also like to give well wishes to the moderators, who are undoubtably heavily stressing over this situation. Moderating any group is always a hard job, especially so when it's a community as large and opinionated as this one.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Even if it was hundreds of people. Look at how many members we have and look at the posts calling out mods and trying to talk sense into people. This community is not defined by the members who discounted Etika's behavior.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me, this hit me hard. Etika was a good man. I watched many directs live with his stream.

Fuck man. This really makes me think about a lot of things.

I will definitely miss this man.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

He's going all in and it's well deserved IMO. Tells everyone all they need to know about the true nature of the majority of this community. Before today I assumed that these people made up a small portion of ERA, but now I'm honestly not sure anymore.

What Happened to etika is extremely disheartening especially because I've dealt with similar mental health issues, but that guy looks like he's just seeking attention. Especially because most here now seem to have better perspective.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried to look through that older Etika thread and saw I had the most posts there. After reading my posts I saw it was me defending Etika against people attacking him wow.

Mental health issues are no joke, ugh.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing bigotry, derailing a sensitive thread
Resetera has created a monster in that anyone who holds different views or has stupid ignorant opinions are non human. They are racist, nazi, misogynist,homophobe. And indeed they may be but they are also people and people make mistakes and can learn. It is not black and white and sooner or later the immediate response of punch them, ban them, erase them will bite.
Education and empathy are important.
I hope none of Etika's family has to read any of the things said against him and in fact a new clean thread for memorial would be nice and leave this for discussion

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ever since that thread and me getting called out for being an enabler for wishing him to get the help he needs and get better, with the whole "THIS IS FROWN UPON, HERE." made me realise that behind the cape
of tolerance that ERA shines under, lies a lot of hipocrisy when the subject of mental illnesses appears.

It is a shame and I hope this place, the mods, the admins and members will learn from this tragedy.

And yeah, talking to a mod/admin through PMs isn't a good idea if you want change, everything needs to be done via the community, just like how this place came to be in the first place.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The amount of fucking YouTubers who weren't even aware of the guy until NOW, using his name for easy clicks during this time of tragedy have got me fucking livid. That shit ain't fucking right.

Also fuck that gnome looking ass Keemstar for egging Etika on and making a fucking show out of a human being who clearly needed to get help.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No way to tell? That shit became a pattern, something was clearly wrong.

Yeah there was a pattern, even when it was going on it was fairly clear to tell from the outside.

Stigmas around mental health are still way too prevalent, and as a society we need to take moments like these to investigate and discuss things. The truly unfortunate thing is that it surrounds the death of a young man.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This forum doesn't have a problem with helping out others dealing with mental illness. We occasionally have threads made from one of the members either thinking about suicide or dealing with depression. For the most part people here do their best to help out. What this place does have a problem is empathizing with people with big social media followings. A lot of that is due to streamer culture being viewed as a cynical profession. And it sometimes extends to celebrities, although I think it's slowing down these days.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't reflect the whole community and well it was a bad thing, it also doesn't reflect the community as a whole or even the majority of people.

It reflects what's allowed in the community, though.

Either way, I don't take Doctor Cupcakes entirely seriously - He's a glass cannon of criticism that dishes it out but can't handle an ounce of it.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
RIP. That's terrible.

As I said in the now infamous thread...We have to pay more attention to mental health. And some people ripped me for saying that last time.

Oct 25, 2017
This was the last photo I took with Etika. It was only three days before he disappeared. I felt you all may want to see this, as the thread honors his memory.

Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry for your loss.

I only had the faintest idea of who Etika was until about a week ago, but there is a pattern around here of an unhealthy and unempathetic relationship to celebrity, and it's high time for the people complicit in this culture to take some responsibility. I only wish it didn't have to take an event like this.

Unless you have that order of magnitude of followers on your channels or social media, you truly have no idea how much pressure and scrutiny you are under day to day, even as a minor public figure. And yet we enable people who blow up every perceived transgression into an industry headline, as though they were doing some kind of noble service to the world as the only ones who will ever hold social media personalities to account. Everything is unforgivable and everything is permanently attached to your name. Can't have a conversation about them without someone butting in edgewise and dropping the opposition dossier, hiding under the excuse of keeping everyone informed, when all it amounts to is gossip and salacious gawking.

It's not enough to "talk" about mental illness and suicidality when for a high-visibility figure, talk just invites more goading and hands out more ammunition to be used against you.

All my sympathies to those who held him dear.

Mods need to allow people to openly discuss this. Reading the mod message in the locked thread, if the problem is bad actors hijacking the conversation, then address those people specifically, that's your job. Don't lock down discussion altogether so you don't have to bother moderating, this is one of the biggest issues people had with the prior place.

First things first, RIP Etika. You made mistakes, it seems like you tried to take accountability for them in the end, and I'm sorry that you didn't get the help you needed. I just saw an article about how he was in the real battle scene also in New York. Seemed like a talented and charismatic kid.

A lot of people here, moderation especially, seem to want to stymie the discussion around internal reflection about how this site deals with these situations. It reminds me of Republican politicians saying now is not the time to discuss gun control after a major shooting. They just want thoughts and prayers. The hypocrisy is blatant, but unsurprising.

I never participated in the discussions around Etika because I never followed many YouTube celebrities. That being said, after reading through the thread, a lot of the moderation here is, and has always been - terrible. There is no transparency, despite being one of the principles this site was founded on. We have to PM mods privately to even make a complaint and aren't allowed to voice and discuss things as a COMMUNITY. EVERYTHING seems to get shut down - meta discussions about the site are deemed "unproductive" in an almost Trumpianpian way of shutting down discussion. Not every discussion or point brought up is in "bad faith".

I'm really sorry to hear about how some of you with mental health issues have been treated on this site, and I truly hope things change - especially the moderation here. It's insane how inconsistent they are and the ban hammer is so quick for innocuous things at times, yet so lenient for other horrible things.

Sorry for Etika as a fellow New Yorker especially, it hits differently. We need to start really thinking about how social media is effecting some people.

Good posts. I'm glad to see some open blowback here against site policies that can only be described with one word—cowardice—and which can be said to be actively causing harm. (The comparison to "thoughts and prayers" is especially inspired.)

Apparently we can't talk about moderation without inviting the trolls, so we can't talk about moderation. Does the staff not realize that this policy only serves to feed the trolls? They have no shortage of oppositional communities and back-channel gossip boards to run off to and complain, while the people least able to have their voices heard are the ones who mostly want to be here, who contribute to this place, who want to see it be better, and would strongly prefer to steer clear of those other places. Everybody gets a word in about Era except for those of us who want to use it.

Those who want to trash this place in bad faith have no limit of places to go. Those who want to improve this place in good faith have nowhere to go. It's the same familiar absurdity as providing written ban reasons to put on a charade of transparency, but burying them instead of making them available in a readily accessible in-house log. The policies here have created a situation where it is more convenient for those with minor grievances to run off to self-declared enemies who wear their bans proudly on their sleeves. Does the staff not see how this undermines the community's integrity? How that has only deepened the climate of paranoia where enemy trolls are around every dark corner, ready to strike? Do they not see the utter lack of trust and confidence in hashing anything out over PMs when the public face of the moderation team, ex-mods included, is one of condescension, snide dismissiveness, and shameless apologism for their own?

A lot of prominent outrage members in this community are really no different than trolls on 4chan, except they're more disingenuous with their intentions. You can expect a 4chan poster to shitpost and be an asshole, but these guys hide under the guise of great causes like social justice to get away with murder. They look for these slipups (people make mistakes, we're all human) and then use that to rationalize and justify hurling the absolute worst vile shit. Basically it's like the greenlight for these posters to try and destroy these people (their reputation, their livelihood, their means of making money) and get others to pat themselves on the back about it. I don't think most 4chan posters even go as far as I've seen some people out for blood on here have.

Just like anyone that has posted here or lurked here over the past year or two. you've seen it time and time again, but this is the first time that I'm aware of that this has ended in a suicide. Not in any world is ERA responsible for Etika's death, but with a forum as popular as this, I'm sure he's been here before and seen some of the hate thrown his way.

GAF had this shit as well, and I don't know the solution to this. I'm 99% sure that some of the worst offenders are too entrenched in the community to be removed at this point.

Quite right.

Those who have normalized this, by participation or by policy, are neither innocent bystanders nor paragons of accountability. They are enablers; they are gossips.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to claim I knew a lot about him, but anyone dying at such a young age is a damn tragedy.

Rest in peace.

Mountainous

Banned
Jun 22, 2019
At first I thought it was just him being a weirdo. Then when I saw him assualt that police officer, I knew he really didnt value his own life that much. I wonder what was in is head that pushed him to do what he did.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bummer.
Because they refuse to host an discussion on how they responded and lack of response beforehand, to the point where it only makes matters worse, drawing outside attention.

I didn't read this thread at the time, because it seemed abundant clear it was a topic Era was not capable of discussing intelligently. But some of those comments are incredibly damning.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A mother outlived both her sons, this is a tragedy. As someone who studies and soon to be helping those with chronic mental illness, reading these threads on Etika were maddening to the point I wrote up entire paragraphs replying to everyone but just ended up deleting them. I wasn't confident that I could make a difference with my words against everybody else, so I just ignored those threads going forward. That was a mistake I won't make again, Mental illness is a serious issue that manifests and shows in a plethora of different ways. We have to do better.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad but after looking at all of these threads I don't believe that anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There's far more toxicity in other sites, you don't even need to go all the way to 4chan to see the really nasty side of the internet.

And that shit hole of an old place we used to call home is far worse, they can pretend they give a fuck about mental health and call us out all they want but they still have crap like this appear regularly.

goqq0P7.png

I know, I know, we're not supposed to talk about off site drama and I love that rule but in this case, just this one time i'm making an exception.

The sad truth is Resetera is probably one of the better places on the internet if you want civility and progressive discourse, and yet even we still have work to do to improve.

The best thing we can do is learn from this, acknowledge where we went wrong and become better.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Who would've thought that a person with a mental illness kills himself after numerous cries for help gets dubbed as fake/ attention seeking/a hoax

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read this thread at the time, because it seemed abundant clear it was a topic Era was not capable of discussing intelligently. But some of those comments are incredibly damning now.

I stayed the hell out of the thread because I don't really follow Nintendo communities and thus was never really exposed to Etika as a person, but yeah. Even as much as I sympathize with the mod staff for being in an unenviable position (full disclosure: former mod here), there are a lot of people in that thread being extremely goddamn callous and I'm disappointed with a lot of the community over this.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the people who made fun of the poor guy feel right now?
What a disgrace, all of them.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Always believe in the good in people.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah guys, let's turn this thread about the death of Etika into a "resetera sucks and is worse than places like 4chan and reddit and the mods are responsible" thread.
The irony of those posts is palpable.

The same people who are whining about this community and calling others disingenuous have also never participated in discussions on mental health around here (of which there are plenty, by the way). Talking about the banned trolls obviously, not the people criticising how mental health debates are handled on here in a genuine manner.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
They're not going dark on him. Fans are not friends, no matter how much the modern influencer system wants to make you think you are. The only thing you could do as a fan of Etika is stop watching his meltdowns and let the people in his life help him.
This is why this whole conversation is exhausting to me. So much anger over people supposedly not caring enough, yet also not one call to action to do something concrete that could lead to positive change.

The guy's real life family and friends, the police, nobody had success in preventing this. Kind of hard to fault the internet peanut gallery for not being able to do anything either.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that a lot of people simply preferred to not discuss the incident at all out of a desire to not feed the social media monster surrounding it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Resetera has created a monster in that anyone who holds different views or has stupid ignorant opinions are non human. They are racist, nazi, misogynist, homophobe. And indeed they may be but they are also people and people make mistakes and can learn. It is not black and white and sooner or later the immediate response of punch them, ban them, erase them will bite.
Education and empathy are important.

I hope none of Etika's family has to read any of the things said against him and in fact a new clean thread for memorial would be nice and leave this for discussion
This. Although I would say this particular monster started on GAF.

We can't lose sight of people's humanity. We can tell them to stop, we can tell them why they're wrong, and we can admonish their actions. But condemning someone's entire existence as irredeemably evil is not going to help anyone.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's appropriate to hold a mirror up to people to show them what they really look like.

Is it poor timing? Probably. But we need to talk about how we treat people and how flippant we are with people's lives. The sooner this conversation happens the better.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People had valid reasons to be skeptical of Etika and be frustrated with him. Look at the things he was saying. This situation isn't as simple as some are making it to be, these words are hurtful.

NgS6Rbd.png

Z6v55oX.png

qBCYZeg.png

QOtRm4F.png

It's tragic that this man who built up this channel and a lot of fans died in this manner as he didn't deserve to go out like this. However these words were definitely harmful and some people's frustrations were warranted I feel.
Couldn't even wait more than a few hours after he was confirmed dead before pulling this? Jesus. Seriously just come off it, this is hardly the right time or place for this. He fucking killed himself so clearly he was going through more than what you saw from a couple of social media posts.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
... This can't be real I mean... I saw people literary suggest he would kill himself for months, where was his help? RIP, it was not supposed to go like this. Please wake up and make it possible for people to get the help they seek, no idea who I am asking this.

Man... this is hard to accept, I don't want to imagine what his family is going through right now.

I didn't really watch Etika's videos but remember him from back in the NX days, to me he will always be remembered as a beacon of enthusiasm. RIP

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of fucking YouTubers who weren't even aware of the guy until NOW, using his name for easy clicks during this time of tragedy have got me fucking livid. That shit ain't fucking right.

Also fuck that gnome looking ass Keemstar for egging Etika on and making a fucking show out of a human being who clearly needed to get help.

Keem is a Class A Grifter

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I only had the faintest idea of who Etika was until about a week ago, but there is a pattern around here of an unhealthy and unempathetic relationship to celebrity, and it's high time for the people complicit in this culture to take some responsibility. I only wish it didn't have to take an event like this.

Unless you have that order of magnitude of followers on your channels or social media, you truly have no idea how much pressure and scrutiny you are under day to day, even as a minor public figure. And yet we enable people who blow up every perceived transgression into an industry headline, as though they were doing some kind of noble service to the world as the only ones who will ever hold social media personalities to account. Everything is unforgivable and everything is permanently attached to your name. Can't have a conversation about them without someone butting in edgewise and dropping the opposition dossier, hiding under the excuse of keeping everyone informed, when all it amounts to is gossip and salacious gawking.

It's not enough to "talk" about mental illness and suicidality when for a high-visibility figure, talk just invites more goading and hands out more ammunition to be used against you.

All my sympathies to those who held him dear.
Excellent post, as always.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate that a thread about a very young man taking his own life has turned into forum drama, but it's not just a resetera problem it's a society problem we can do better for mental health and removing the stigma surrounding it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, in his "im sorry" video he talks about how he won't get to see the end of Attack on Titan, and talked about how dope the last episode with Grisha was. :(

Oct 25, 2017
This is why this whole conversation is exhausting to me. So much anger over people supposedly not caring enough, yet also not one call to action to do something concrete that could lead to positive change.

The guy's real life family and friends, the police, nobody had success in preventing this. Kind of hard to fault the internet peanut gallery for not being able to do anything either.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that a lot of people simply preferred to not discuss the incident at all out of a desire to not feed the social media monster surrounding it.
This. My only post IIRC in these Etika threads even though I was following them was a meta comment on general mental health talk. It's honestly pretty bizarre having complete strangers armchair psychoanalyze someone who is clearly suffering to the point of rejecting professional help and support from the friends and family around them.

This. Although I would say this particular monster started on GAF.

We can't lose sight of people's humanity. We can tell them to stop, we can tell them why they're wrong, and we can admonish their actions. But condemning someone's entire existence as irredeemably evil is not going to help anyone.

Nor is finger-wagging after the fact, so what's your point?

I hate that a thread about a very young man taking his own life has turned into forum drama, but it's not a resetera problem it's a society problem we can do better for mental health and removing the stigma surrounding it.

Preach it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The sudden influx of low post count accounts coming into the thread apparently SUPER KNOWLEDGEABLE about Era is a really good indication of why a public discussion about moderation and the community is not possible. 👍

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

yeah it really isn't. fuck internet people and fuck youtube policies allowing this shit.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RIP Etika. I hope you find the rest you seeked.

For those who diminish mental healthcare: FUCK YOU.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Then that's not leaving "[it] up to the community to make changes" is it?

you're taking my original comment in the wrong context.

It's a reminder that the site's users steer the conversation's direction. Indeed, the outburst thread could have been far more productive than it was.

But we're talking like the moderators actively squashed any attempts at progression. Nobody was banned for empathizing with him. Nobody was banned for starting a fundraiser to support his mental health. All they could do was ban people who went out of line.

Again, all the moderators do is remind others of the site's rules. They're the minority in this forum. They don't deserve punishment for doing their job.