• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It makes sense. If it were someone other than Morocco (both because you're already getting a WC in the Muslim World and because Morocco, like others of the Muslim monarchies, is not the best on human rights), i think the Trump effect would have pushed it over.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
48 participants is absolutely ridiculous. There are enough sub-par teams as it is.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Hope to see what matchups come to Boston / Foxborough and where they play them. I'm assuming Harvard's stadium is too small and that it'll be at Gilette in Foxborough, which already hosts pro soccer.

Putting my house up on AirBnb YESTERDAY and going on vacation for the week.

If they pick Boston it'll be at Gillette. It's the only option. Harvard Stadium is too small and doesn't have individual seats anyhow.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would actually be surprised if KC got passed over. They're fanatical about soccer.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's a huge change and a bit inconvenient but, overall, it's better this way. Costs can be crippling to countries, even wealthy ones can save costs that can be spent much more wisely. This also helps prevent worker abuse which has been a notorious plight on FIFA. i hope these large tournaments where games are shared turn out to be a huge success. Futbol will be better for it.
EU is full of rich countries with up to date arenas so this argument flies a lot less.
And if FIFA didn't act like the fucking Mafia with retaining all the earnings for themselves and even forcing host countries to give up on taxing these earnings it would be easier for poorer countries. Why does a country have to have a stadium with a capacity of 80,000 in the current bid e.g.?
Neither Germany nor Brazil did have one.
Morocco doesn't have one, but has one that can be expanded to 70,000 places.
But 70,000 is not 80,000 so they would need to build a stadium that they probably would never be able to fill/use again just because.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: trolling
Just give the whole tournament to Mexico. So few people care about soccer in the U.S.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
giphy.gif

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please come to Seattle. CenturyLink Field is a great venue and I would love to see a World Cup match in my lifetime.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just give the whole tournament to Mexico. So few people care about soccer in the U.S.

While Soccer is not as popular as Am. Football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, it has come a long way. The MLS, once thought a pipedream, is exploding in popularity, and new cities are embracing soccer like Cincinnati and Atlanta. From a marketing viewpoint, it makes the most sense to put it in NA where there is the most room for growth.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Something tells me you have never been to Mexico City if you think the climate is at all similar to North Africa. Morocco routinely get some close to 50 degrees Celsius during the summer, Mexico City rarely gets to 35 (hell, right now they're at 20 degrees!). The real problem with Mexico City is the altitude and, to a lesser extent, the smog.

Monterrey is a hotter city in Mexico that will held games but even in its absolute hottest days in the summer do they climb above 40 which, yes, it's hot as shit but it's not "North African weather". Over 30 degree weather is normal for a summer day here.

One reason Quatar WC will take place in Winter,so degrees will be closer to Mexico during summer. Probably players will be in top shape during that time.
Because mostly their lower WC performance isnt due to the fatigue but because money is less than the CL.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice!

This means that the chances for Argentina-Paraguay-Uruguay 2030 happening have increased.

Why?

They'd be going up against England and maybe Scotland/Wales will be joining too.

England has better stadiums. Can handle 48 team World Cup with no issues. By then you'd have quite a few more new or improved stadiums. Spurs are getting a nice new big stadium next season. Everton are going to get a new stadium. Liverpool and Man Utd are looking to increase the capacity of their grounds. City could easily increase their capacity by 2030 even though its empty most of the time. You got Newcastle and Leeds with big stadiums. Then you have Wembley, London Stadium and Emirates.

I'm looking at the stadiums in Uruguay. They have one that can fill 60k people. The other is 40k and the rest are under 30k.

If common sense prevails then England will get the 2030 World Cup. They have the stadiums and by 2030 they'd have even bigger stadiums.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The
52000 seat stadium with the experience of hosting the Women's World Cup (including the goddamn final), that was renovated less than 10 years ago for 150 million. And we're not hosting, because...NDP

Reading more into it, it seems that the NDP do have reasons. Tax payers are going to have to pay for all the upgrades and that is going to be costly. Is it okay for the government to front the Fifa bill? It would be a lot to ask.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The tournament will be a cluster fuck if a Trump like figure is still in power or if the US does not recover from this presidency.

I guess that of the 20 matches in Canada and Mexico all of the group stage ones the hosts play local.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Adebayor = North American bid for the World Cup
Arsenal fans = Euro-ERA

UUesFWL.gif

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Why?

They'd be going up against England and maybe Scotland/Wales will be joining too.

England has better stadiums. Can handle 48 team World Cup with no issues. By then you'd have quite a few more new or improved stadiums. Spurs are getting a nice new big stadium next season. Everton are going to get a new stadium. Liverpool and Man Utd are looking to increase the capacity of their grounds. City could easily increase their capacity by 2030 even though its empty most of the time. You got Newcastle and Leeds with big stadiums. Then you have Wembley, London Stadium and Emirates.

I'm looking at the stadiums in Uruguay. They have one that can fill 60k people. The other is 40k and the rest are under 30k.

If common sense prevails then England will get the 2030 World Cup. They have the stadiums and by 2030 they'd have even bigger stadiums.
You can use the big rugby stadiums like Twickenham and Cardiff too.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean US, Canada and Mexico all get automatic qualification? Sucks for the rest of CONCACAF.

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously happy to have the World Cup close to home even though it seems silly to have an entire continent host the World Cup. I do hope Canada can actually have grass fields for their games. World Cup game played on turf would be absolutely disgusting. Also logistically it might be a nightmare trying to get visas for three different countries if your team is bouncing around.

But with the new 48 team format, I imagine this will be the trend going forward with multiple countries sharing the hosting duties. It's not just an issue of making more money, but multiple hosts reduce the strain on the individual host nations.

As for people complaining about 48 teams, I personally would have preferred going from 32 to 40 first. But the game is growing and the World Cup expands roughly every 25-30 years to reflect that. And while we definitely currently don't have the depth to support a competitive 48 team tournament, allowing more teams into the World Cup does eventually strengthen and grow the talent pool worldwide. After 1990 and the amazing run of Cameroon, Africa was given more WC spots when the tournament expanded to 32 nations. And while WC success has still been fairly elusive for African nations, in that time we've had some fantastic African players in Europe. We're also slowly starting to see the fruits from the Korea/Japan 2002 World Cup. So while purist would like to see the WC format remain stable and try to keep it as an elite tournament, the truth is it's always been more celebration than elite competition. The club level has the best quality of soccer. But the World Cup has some of the best stories, legends and infamy. It's also a place where unknown players from a distant country get a chance to finally get noticed. Keep in mind too, if more countries have a legimate chance to make the WC, then they will actually spend more resources on training/developing their youth players and over time those countries will be more competitive.

That said, the blowouts in 2026 will be ugly. Assuming China or Russia hasn't annexed the US by then. The fate of the World Cup is literally in Mueller's hands.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Generally dislike it when the tournament is given to countries who would not normally be at the tournament via qualification (South Africa, Russia, Qatar, USA, Canada).

This isn't coming from bias (I swear) but GB is long overdue hosting a tournament (WC or EUROs) so many great stadiums conducive to the best atmospheres. No one wants to watch football in a baseball stadium.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Generally dislike it when the tournament is given to countries who would not normally be at the tournament via qualification (South Africa, Russia, Qatar, USA, Canada).

This isn't coming from bias (I swear) but GB is long overdue hosting a tournament (WC or EUROs) so many great stadiums conducive to the best atmospheres. No one wants to watch football in a baseball stadium.
100% agree

It's overdue for a return to the UK

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So does this mean US, Canada and Mexico all get automatic qualification? Sucks for the rest of CONCACAF.
Not necessarily, the FIFA Council will decide which hosts will automatically qualify at a later date https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/new...allocation-for-the-2026-fifa-wor-2878254.html
The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.
And even if all 3 automatically qualify there's still 3 spots up for grabs, which is quite a lot when you don't have to compete against Mexico and the US.

Deleted member 9986

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada and Mexico cool but US can go fuck itself. Joined bid is a lie since 90% will be in the US.
They don't even allow Iran to use their Nike football boots at the current world cup and they already had no friendly matches because of countries being afraid of US retaliation. Bet america will block countries they dont like from entering the WC at all.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh cmon, USA? Really? They qualified to every WC from 1990 until 2014 and missed by the skin of their teeth 2018. I won't argue for the rest though.

I do agree that GB, specifically England, is long overdue a WC. You guys invented the sport and it's unbelievable you've only hosted once 50 years ago. Now that your shitty relationship with Blatter went away maybe you have a fighting chance in 2034 (sorry but 2030 will be in South America).